MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

This forum is dedicated to software development related to MultiWii.
It is not the right place to submit a setup problem.
Software download
o_lampe

Re: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

Post by o_lampe »

@shikra
you've integrated two different filters for V/A/RSSI reading, do they also work for serial MSP-data?
My msp-current value is pretty jumpy...

shikra

Post by shikra »

@Olaf

Cool - sounds like you're getting there!

No it doesn't currently smooth MSP. Assumption is for all FC data that whatever comes from the FC is accurate. Maybe try using a RC filter to smooth it a little. Same as what the PWM RSSI guys do. Also the supply to the OSD chip must be as smooth as possible - this affects the readings too.
Added to wish list, but quite a few items to be done before that unfortunately.

This is a bit like RSSI and voltage - some folk like the fast changing values and others like it smooth. I'm on the smooth side. My brain doesn't work that fast... lol

o_lampe

Post by o_lampe »

Voltage reading trough MSP data seems wrong.
I tried two different batteries on my DIY voltagedivider and both times I got different values in MWConf and from the OSD

MWConf / OSD
6.6V / 7.0V
11.6V / 12.4V

I've checked the Volt and Ampere routines in the OSD code and for the voltage it seems the MSP-data doesn't get read like the current data?

Code: Select all

//-------------- Voltage
  if (!Settings[S_MAINVOLTAGE_VBAT]){ // not MWII
    uint16_t voltageRaw = sensorfilter[0][SENSORFILTERSIZE];
    if (!Settings[S_VREFERENCE]){
      voltage = float(voltageRaw) * Settings[S_DIVIDERRATIO] * (DIVIDER1v1); 
    }
    else {
      voltage = float(voltageRaw) * Settings[S_DIVIDERRATIO] * (DIVIDER5v);     
    }
  }

//-------------- Current

if(!Settings[S_MWAMPERAGE]) {
    if (!Settings[S_AMPERAGE_VIRTUAL]) { // Analogue
      amperage = sensorfilter[2][SENSORFILTERSIZE]>>3;
      amperage = map(amperage, Settings[S_AMPMIN]+AMPERAGEOFFSET, S16_AMPMAX, 0, AMPERAGEMAX);
      if (amperage < 0) amperage=0;
    } 
    else {  // Virtual
      uint32_t Vthrottle = constrain(MwRcData[THROTTLESTICK],1000,2000);
      Vthrottle = constrain((Vthrottle-1000)/10,10,100);
      amperage = (Vthrottle+(Vthrottle*Vthrottle*0.02))*S16_AMPMAX*0.01;
      if(armed)
        amperage += Settings[S_AMPMIN];
      else
        amperage = Settings[S_AMPMIN];
    } 
  }
  else{
      amperage = MWAmperage / 100;
  }

else{
      amperage = MWAmperage / 100;
  }

These last three lines are missing in the voltagecode, or are they hidden somewhere else?

Worst thing of all is, I've set VBATTNOMINAL to 50.3V ( 15S LiFePO ) and the 11.6V value I got, should actually be 50.1V
The whole MWii voltage monitoring seems to be limited to 3S?
Also the battwarning levels were set accordingly to suit the 15S battery, but they were shown wrong in MWConf, too.
Maybe It's an integer overflow or something. I can't find the MWII-FC calculation routines for vbatt or powermeter as well.
In which subroutine are they hidden?

petronioaznar

Post by petronioaznar »

shikra, is the main voltage indicator supposed to update on real time in flight? I am a bit puzzled why the indicator stays constantly the same while flying and I have to land and wait a second for it to update. I have the main volts indication ticked and have played around with the scale from 0-255 but have seen no difference at all (regardless whether in 200 or 50, etc)
I cannot judge how much flight time I still have unless I land..:/

Tx! otherwise the OSD is really great :)

shikra

Post by shikra »

@petronioaznar - yeas - should update several times a second.

If you use volts from the flight controller (i.e. select use MWii), all calibration is on the controller and the scaling will not work.
Could that be it?

shikra

Post by shikra »

@Olaf

o_lampe wrote:Voltage reading trough MSP data seems wrong.
I tried two different batteries on my DIY voltagedivider and both times I got different values in MWConf and from the OSD

All the OSD does is to display what is sent by the controller. I have only ever tested it with the simulator. Will have to try it out. Might be a while before I can...

shikra

Post by shikra »

o_lampe wrote:Worst thing of all is, I've set VBATTNOMINAL to 50.3V ( 15S LiFePO ) and the 11.6V value I got, should actually be 50.1V
The whole MWii voltage monitoring seems to be limited to 3S?
Also the battwarning levels were set accordingly to suit the 15S battery, but they were shown wrong in MWConf, too.
Maybe It's an integer overflow or something. I can't find the MWII-FC calculation routines for vbatt or powermeter as well.
In which subroutine are they hidden?

No idea - I never used MW FC voltage. Always seemed too complex with too many warnings

shikra

Post by shikra »

o_lampe wrote:
These last three lines are missing in the voltagecode, or are they hidden somewhere else?

in screen.ino...

if (Settings[S_MAINVOLTAGE_VBAT]){
voltage=MwVBat;
}

agree - its not consistent....

petronioaznar

Post by petronioaznar »

hola shikra, that could be it yep but where is it?? :shock:
I do have mulwii selected on the OSD for voltage monitoring but all i could find on the controller was vbatscale (which is set correctly). How or where do I calibrate the consumption on the controller??? (Googled but found nothing) Thanks!

schnupperm

Post by schnupperm »

found a small bug: if FULLAHI is enabled in Config.h, the AHI line is not centered.
Fix for line 342 in Screen.ino :

<         uint16_t pos = position  + LINE*(Y/9) + 3 - 2*LINE + X;
---
>         uint16_t pos = position - 1 + LINE*(Y/9) + 3 - 2*LINE + X;

shikra

Post by shikra »

@petronioaznar - am not familiar with it myself, but here is wiki
http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Powermeter

@schnupperm - thanks for finding and fix. Updated...

shikra

Post by shikra »

Any Processing / Java devs out there who fancy implementing drag / drop functionality for custom layouts?? Drag/drop + snap to grid stuff
It looks quite straightforward but I am stuck for time.

Almost finished putting all the screenlayout positions into XML file ready and that just leaves creation of the screen editor.

Snowboard_Nut

Post by Snowboard_Nut »

Just wanted to introduce myself and make it known that yet another person has dived into MW OSD. This is my first post on here. I have never had GPS or OSD, just basic FPV setups and crappy monitors. I ordered a Witespy KV Mod board, it arrived yesterday. Had it flashed with MW OSD and wired up within about 2 hours and geeked out on the cool factor of what a real OSD looks like considering I've never seen one in person and Youtube doesn't do it much justice. Tonight I spent about another 2 hours researching RC filters and getting RSSI from my FrSky D4R-II to the OSD and it is working very well. I have the Witespy uBlox 6M GPS coming in a couple of days... Hope to have this system polished for the arrival of my pre-ordered Dom HD's. Thank You Shikra, looking forward to much more!

minim

Post by minim »

I might be missing something obvious but I cannot get my gps info showing in my osd. I got the kvmod board flashed with the newest mwosd and it's connected to naze32 acro. I got rssi from ezuhf showing in the osd and all the other info like horizon and volt is read from naze32 to osd. If I go in baseflight I get the correct gps readout and a 3d gps lock but still nothing shows in the osd. When I connect to the osd board with a fdti adapter I can see the gps info is turned on and working in the simulator and gps cords is also enabled in the on screen display in the osd. Any suggestions?

Edit; problem solved.. It was the 1.3Ghz VTX that knocked out the gps lock on ublox gps. Once I turned off the vtx the gps locks and I can get it displayed in the osd.

Snowboard_Nut

Post by Snowboard_Nut »

I did my first LOS test flight with MW OSD running on a Witespy KV Team Mod OSD and recorded the video on the ground. I noticed several things I'm trying to iron out, but right now I just want to address a couple of the problems I'm noticing.

#1: I have a Naze32 Acro and I use a switch on my Taranis to Arm/Disarm. No matter what position the switch is in the OSD shows "DISARMED" the whole time. Does this have something to do with the OSD expecting to see a stick-sequence arm from my Taranis instead of a switch for arming?

#2: I have the option enabled on the OSD to show throttle position, but it never registers anything no matter what.

Any suggestions or insight? I'm thinking maybe since the OSD never shows an "Armed" state that perhaps the logic is it never reads the throttle signal as a result.

davidross87

Post by davidross87 »

Hi
Is it possible to make a GUI Linux64 of the current version 1.2?
I don't get the 32bit version run on my ubuntu 14.04 64bit. Tried many things but no chance.
GUI1.1 Linux64 is working very good. Thank you for that!

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Snowboard_Nut wrote:I did my first LOS test flight with MW OSD running on a Witespy KV Team Mod OSD and recorded the video on the ground. I noticed several things I'm trying to iron out, but right now I just want to address a couple of the problems I'm noticing.

#1: I have a Naze32 Acro and I use a switch on my Taranis to Arm/Disarm. No matter what position the switch is in the OSD shows "DISARMED" the whole time. Does this have something to do with the OSD expecting to see a stick-sequence arm from my Taranis instead of a switch for arming?

#2: I have the option enabled on the OSD to show throttle position, but it never registers anything no matter what.

Any suggestions or insight? I'm thinking maybe since the OSD never shows an "Armed" state that perhaps the logic is it never reads the throttle signal as a result.

Yo, regarding to the DISARMED message, have you changed the config.h to BASEFLIGHT mode?

Cheerz,
B

shikra

Post by shikra »

Snowboard_Nut's issue ssolve dove ron fpvlab. ahd 2 devices connected on same serial port at same time (frsky telemetry)

shikra

Post by shikra »

davidross87 wrote:Hi
I don't get the 32bit version run on my ubuntu 14.04 64bit. Tried many things but no chance.

Sure - no problem. probably next week though as bit tied up at moment. On a +ve it now has a basic layout editor you can try out for moving stuff around on the screen.

Fastrack

Post by Fastrack »

Hey!

I finally had a flight after suspending my quad and with an amp meter attached. I had a full flight... 4705mA drained from the pack on the OSD and my charger put 4628mA back in! Woohoo... I'm very impressed.

Few questions:-
- Is there anyway to stop the flight timer if the throttle is at 0%?
- When the battery get's low the battery icon/voltage flashes which is great. But with a screen it could be missed.. Since I'm knew to FPV I'm generally looking at the middle of the screen. Would there be a way to have "Battery Low" flash much like "Armed" does? I'm gonna dig into the code myself and see if I can add it, but I think this would be a good option for screen fpvers vs goggles.

Issue:-
- This is not related to the MWOSD, but I'm hoping someone knows a solution. The MinimOSD fails to "boot" when the battery is connected (I see video but no overlay). If I unplug the battery and plug it back in, it works every time. My MinimOSD is powered via the Witespy EZ3.0 black with the 5V bridges soldered (so no other voltage input). The FC is powered via 3A Turnigy uBec.

Ben

shikra

Post by shikra »

@davidross87

Please can you try this version out.. It is compatible with 1.2 OSD code...
I have not done any help files and its only intended to be basic until someone has time to make it into a proper drag / drop GUI .....

+ GUI - OSD layouts can be edited from GUI
+ GUI - 256 OSD layouts can be created / stored on GUI
+ GUI - switches turn green when enabled

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... F8tN2VVbE0

davidross87 wrote:Hi

shikra

Post by shikra »

@fastrack

stop timer on zero throttle - whats the requirement to have this instead of stopping when disarmed? It possible with code hack of course.
battery low flash warning - added to wish list. Prob next release

Power up issues...
maybe try this in config.h

//#define STARTUPDELAY 2000 // Enable alternative startup delay (in ms) to allow MAX chip voltage to rise fully and initialise before configuring

davidross87

Post by davidross87 »

shikra wrote:@davidross87

Please can you try this version out.. It is compatible with 1.2 OSD code...
I have not done any help files and its only intended to be basic until someone has time to make it into a proper drag / drop GUI .....

+ GUI - OSD layouts can be edited from GUI
+ GUI - 256 OSD layouts can be created / stored on GUI
+ GUI - switches turn green when enabled

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... F8tN2VVbE0

Hi, thank you it works great on linux with 64 bit. Thank you very much for that.
But I am not sure how to select the items to move and so on. But moving things works already.

davidross87

Post by davidross87 »

Found out how it works to move the things and it is great. Will play with it and try it with my copter tomorrow.

Fastrack

Post by Fastrack »

shikra wrote:@fastrack

stop timer on zero throttle - whats the requirement to have this instead of stopping when disarmed? It possible with code hack of course.
battery low flash warning - added to wish list. Prob next release

Power up issues...
maybe try this in config.h

//#define STARTUPDELAY 2000 // Enable alternative startup delay (in ms) to allow MAX chip voltage to rise fully and initialise before configuring

Your probably right... Now that I think about it more, scratch that idea... as I know it's dangerous to leave it armed when resting! - I even have a smart toggle switch to disarm too (programmed on my Taranis). I have MOTOR_STOP enabled, so I do not think of disarming, but it's bad!

I'll try the STARTUPDELAY... Sounds like what I need. It's weird power cycling works. I guess there's a capacitor somewhere that's holding a charge.

Ben

shikra

Post by shikra »

I think the issue is the max chip needs a full 5v to operate, but the atmega starts working before the Max chip is ready. There is a default of 1 sec delay. In bad case maybe it needs longer, but that is still hell of a time to get to full volts. Maybe there is another issue not identified. For my copters i only need a very small delay....
It may also be related to camera - especially if >600 tvl

Fastrack

Post by Fastrack »

shikra wrote:I think the issue is the max chip needs a full 5v to operate, but the atmega starts working before the Max chip is ready. There is a default of 1 sec delay. In bad case maybe it needs longer, but that is still hell of a time to get to full volts. Maybe there is another issue not identified. For my copters i only need a very small delay....
It may also be related to camera - especially if >600 tvl

Yeah I did read with higher res cameras people have needed to press the reset button the Minim, I haven't tried that. As I knew power cycling worked.

I'll give some stuff a try and let you know!

Ben

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Shikra,

I have a Witespy KVTeam minimOSD that seems to fry Naze32's when connected to the telemetry pins in the centre of the board, the OSD is supplied by 12v through the video output stage with only the tx / rx pins connected to the Naze.

Am I doing something really stupid, why is this happening, I cannot supply it via 5v from the bec it only functions from the 12v side?

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog »

Hey guys,

Need some guidance for a beginner (ME). I have this OSD setup with a Naze32 full board in a Juggernaut Wing. Everything is working OK except I have a few of the issues that some have mentioned in the past.

I saw the answers on page 1 and page 2 of this thread on how to fix this, but working in medicine and not computer programming has left me confused and don' quite understand what I need to do. So I need some noobie 101 on how to resolve these issues.

1. I am getting part of the word ARM/Disarm in the compass like others have mentioned. Can someone guide me as to what I have to do to resolve this?

2. Callsign,.. How can I get the Callsign to "time out" and disappear after a short period of time, say 10 seconds or so?? My Callsign stays up on the screen all the time.

Thanks,

Rich

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Guys, my MinimOSD is powered from 5V only, all works fine, BUT in the MW_OSD_GUI I can't save the settings when powered and connected with the FTDI... ?

Is there any magic I have missed?

Many thanks,
B

Deet

Post by Deet »

have you got the gui version that matches the sketch version?

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Deet wrote:have you got the gui version that matches the sketch version?

Thanks for your reply, yes of coz I could set it up BEFORE the 5V mod...

shikra

Post by shikra »

@ Blackdog:
For callsign - it should display callsign every 5 minutes for 4 secs. I just tried and it worked OK for me.
Code now revised to display where you want via gui positioning and also the following can be amended in config.h:
CALLSIGNINTERVAL - Define how frequently to display Callsign (in seconds) - default 60 seconds
CALLSIGNDURATION - Define how long to display Callsign (in seconds) - default 4 seconds
CALLSIGNALWAYS - Enable to permanently display Callsign instead of timed callsign
FREETEXT - Enable to use switchable freetext on OSD instead of timed callsign

edit removed incorrec tinfo
Last edited by shikra on Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

shikra

Post by shikra »

@bulesz:
Check your FTDI adapter is giving out +5v witha meter - don't rely upon what the screen print says !

@Gaijin - no idea other than check your jumpers and wiring is correct. i'd definitely check the OSD is correctly earthed.

bossa

Post by bossa »

Hi there,

I just tried today the MinimOSD I received a few days back. I have two newbie questions :

At first I could get no overlay on the image (from Mobius vid out). After searching I was hinted to look into PAL/NTSC. I set PAL in the GUI, and then got both image and overlay. I am puzzled because I didn't expect it to work without jumping the PAL pad. Am I missing something ?

Also I don't seem to get any info from the Flip32+/Cleanflight FC I connect to : no mag/alt, athough it was configured in the OSD GUI. Is there anything special to do to get info from the FC ? I did cross Tx/Rx wires so Rx goes to Tx and vice versa.

Thank you in advance !

Deet

Post by Deet »

The PAL jumper is redundant

shikra

Post by shikra »

@Bossa - not tried cleanflight, but on baseflight I think you have to enable it. If still not working, check baud rate OK

Exidous

Post by Exidous »

New Java update does not allow the GUI to run. Registry entry lists 1.8 GUI looks for 1.7.

shikra

Post by shikra »

Hi Exidous

I upgraded to Win7 64 bit with Java 1.8.0_25 and the GUI is working OK for me here. It previously had 1.7

Exidous

Post by Exidous »

I am running the same. Must have been an issue with the update. Completely deleted everything Java and reinstalled fresh.

Now if I could just get the OSD to display the overlay powered by anything other than the FTDI......

JimLe

Post by JimLe »

I am having an issue, two actually... the first being flickering text, and the second being gibberish display... both are displayed in the video posted below... I apologize if these issues have been discussed before, but I haven't been able to turn up anything useful from searches.. probably wording my issues wrong. \\

I have tried reuploading the font file numerous times, tried eeprom'ing and reflashing mwosd, nothing seems to fix the gibberish issue. This is my second minimosd with mwosd, the previous one doesn't have that problem. Both however flicker... I have the video in/out wires plugged in WITHOUT 5v/ground attached, could the ground be the issue? I have an LC filter wired in as well, so I'm fairly certain its not an issue with dirty power.

This is the youtube video displaying the problems.
http://youtu.be/pI4Qq9UUmEg

Deet

Post by Deet »

JimLe wrote:I am having an issue, two actually... the first being flickering text, and the second being gibberish display... both are displayed in the video posted below... I apologize if these issues have been discussed before, but I haven't been able to turn up anything useful from searches.. probably wording my issues wrong. \\

I have tried reuploading the font file numerous times, tried eeprom'ing and reflashing mwosd, nothing seems to fix the gibberish issue. This is my second minimosd with mwosd, the previous one doesn't have that problem. Both however flicker... I have the video in/out wires plugged in WITHOUT 5v/ground attached, could the ground be the issue? I have an LC filter wired in as well, so I'm fairly certain its not an issue with dirty power.

This is the youtube video displaying the problems.
http://youtu.be/pI4Qq9UUmEg

You haven't loaded the font file

In that board you need to
1. solder the ground link
2. power bother ends of the board (or solder the +5v link temporarily)
before you load the font file.

powering from the USB alone doesn't power the video chip, and that is where the font file loads to:

I had a flicker issue once when I had the video wiring too close to as ESC. I have set up and or owned about 10 of theses OSDs and never needed any filtering at all

One Thing I found useful was to leave the earth link bridged all the time

JimLe

MultiWii OSD - MWOSD

Post by JimLe »

Deet wrote:You haven't loaded the font file

In that board you need to
1. solder the ground link
2. power bother ends of the board (or solder the +5v link temporarily)
before you load the font file.

powering from the USB alone doesn't power the video chip, and that is where the font file loads to:

I had a flicker issue once when I had the video wiring too close to as ESC. I have set up and or owned about 10 of theses OSDs and never needed any filtering at all

One Thing I found useful was to leave the earth link bridged all the time

Thanks! I didn't realize that about powering the video chip, I must have done that on the last one without thinking about it.

I will have to check it all when I get home. My video wires most likely are resting on an ESC. Thanks again!

JimLe

Post by JimLe »

Ok, so I tried what Deet posted above, had my board powered by 12v lipo and usb during font upload and I'm getting the same output.

Edit: alright cancel that, I only thought it was plugged in, I have resolved the issue with the font not loading.

pigsy2001

Dim overlay

Post by pigsy2001 »

Thanks for making and updating MWOSD.
I have Naze32 with Baseflight, minimOSD and 700 TVL Sony CCD camera.
Regardless what font I upload, the overlay is very dim.
Is there any fix for this issue?
Cheers,

shikra

Post by shikra »

Thanks Pigsy

Unfortunately I don't think there is a true fix for this. The cameras are working outside of the defined specification.

You can try #3 from the FAQ to see if it helps....
But I can't remember if they are in 1.2 or in 1.3 code from SW repository

https://code.google.com/p/multiwii-osd/wiki/FAQ

//#define FASTPIXEL // Optional - may improve resolution - especially hi res cams
//#define WHITEBRIGHTNESS 0x00 // Optional change from default 0x00=120%,0x01=100%,0x10=90%,0x11=80% default is 0x01=100%
//#define BLACKBRIGHTNESS 0x00 // Optional change from default 0x00=0%,0x01=10%,0x10=20%0x11=30% default is 0x00=0%

acessford

Post by acessford »

Perhaps I missed it but I did search.

Using Pauls modded board, I have a 3s battery plugged into the bat and ground pins but I cannot get the voltage to show any reading.

Is there something i missed?

Used the gui to turn off mw voltage reading.

HFMan

Post by HFMan »

Main battery routes to Bat2. Bat1 is for video battery (makes sense, eh?)

acessford

Post by acessford »

On my way home from work, will switch it to use bat2, however if I'm feeding bat1, wouldn't I see voltage for video?

acessford

Post by acessford »

Tried using bat2 and still not working :/