Simple mode for beginers

Candu1

Re: Simple mode for beginers

Post by Candu1 »

Thanks for replying. I fired it up on the GUI this evening and realized I may have been confused and used the wrong TX switch at the field to active Headfree. I will have to confirm that in the field next weekend. I just did a quick test on my "testbed" (using the correct switch to activate Headfree this time!) and it appeared to be working properly. See video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btq02kTjYtc

The reason why I was confused with the TX switches because I was trying to get AUX3 and AUX4 switches to work but was not not successful. Anybody got AUX3/4 working on a Cruis SE board?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Candu1 wrote: Anybody got AUX3/4 working on a Cruis SE board?

You need to use a PPM reciever.

didlawowo69

Post by didlawowo69 »

do you know where ton find a ppm receiver / encoder ?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Here's a encoder.
https://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

I use Frsky system and their reciever with PPM out. (HobbyKing)
Or you can hack your reciver and find the ppm on the inside.

Katch

Post by Katch »

PatrikE wrote:Here's a encoder.
https://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

I use Frsky system and their reciever with PPM out. (HobbyKing)
Or you can hack your reciver and find the ppm on the inside.

I use that very one - good service from DIYDrones as well.

Candu1

Post by Candu1 »

PatrikE wrote:
Candu1 wrote: Anybody got AUX3/4 working on a Cruis SE board?

You need to use a PPM reciever.

My FrSky D8R-II receiver already has 8 channels. I can't find information on where to connect the spare channel output from the receiver to the Crius SE to active AUX3 and/or AUX4.

dr.tom

Post by dr.tom »

how about adding option in code(so who wants it, can enable it, who doesn't uses the old way)
that heading resets on every gyro calibration?
(like GPS home positon does)
if it's not a big problem.

because when battery is plugged, the simple mod remembers heading,
but when someone wants to take the model around without unplugging it cannot reset it to new heading. so it becomes useless.
(and unplugging is sometimes pain in the ass because of acc calibration on level surface)

aerial photography is one example, you take picture/movie of something, then land, walk with model 30-50m around the object, and fly again, facing it from other side...

just a thought... :)

Candu1

Post by Candu1 »

dr.tom wrote:how about adding option in code(so who wants it, can enable it, who doesn't uses the old way)
that heading resets on every gyro calibration?
(like GPS home positon does)
if it's not a big problem.

because when battery is plugged, the simple mod remembers heading,
but when someone wants to take the model around without unplugging it cannot reset it to new heading. so it becomes useless.
(and unplugging is sometimes pain in the ass because of acc calibration on level surface)

aerial photography is one example, you take picture/movie of something, then land, walk with model 30-50m around the object, and fly again, facing it from other side...

just a thought... :)

My test so far indicate that every time you arm, it will reset to a new heading reference. You don't need to unplug the battery or do a gyro calibration. So if you want to have a new heading reference after flying for a while, just land, align the craft to whatever heading desired, disarm and arm again. That's the way it works on my quad. You can also confirm this on the GUI.

An update, field test this morning confirmed Headfree mode is working on my quad. Flipping the right switch on my TX helps!! :oops:

frogman1206

Post by frogman1206 »

Been using a Paris 4.0 board for a while now and recently started diving into this forum. Got a question about the simplemode or headfree mode as it's sometimes called. Everyone is talking about it on a Quad. Will it work on a tricopter? It would be real handy at times with the tri just like it would be with a quad.

Thanks

KeesvR

Post by KeesvR »

Yes, it's not only for a Quad but for all kind of Multicopters.

frogman1206

Post by frogman1206 »

Sweet. I did finally get the dev code loaded and working. I only have one AUX channel
To work with on the Dx6i so I set it up to do level and simplemode on gear channel
Don't really need baro so it is a great setup now.

KeesvR

Post by KeesvR »

You've got 2 aux channels on your DX6i.
Look over here for the best use of these: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1740&p=14843&

cswiger

Post by cswiger »

Hi - I'm relatively new to quads and trying out the headfree mode - I thought it was working ok but after close testing it seems like the 'referance plane' is rotating some with the quad. Even at first, after power on, there appears to be a 10-15 degree offset from where it was pointing at poweron. Then, when rotating some it'll get way off.

Any quick things to check? I've calibrated mag, acc and gyro.

Katch

Post by Katch »

cswiger wrote:Hi - I'm relatively new to quads and trying out the headfree mode - I thought it was working ok but after close testing it seems like the 'referance plane' is rotating some with the quad. Even at first, after power on, there appears to be a 10-15 degree offset from where it was pointing at poweron. Then, when rotating some it'll get way off.

That's classic behaviour of mag interference. See if you heading changes when you tilt your frame or at WOT.

cswiger

Post by cswiger »

Katch wrote:
cswiger wrote:Hi - I'm relatively new to quads and trying out the headfree mode - I thought it was working ok but after close testing it seems like the 'referance plane' is rotating some with the quad. Even at first, after power on, there appears to be a 10-15 degree offset from where it was pointing at poweron. Then, when rotating some it'll get way off.

That's classic behaviour of mag interference. See if you heading changes when you tilt your frame or at WOT.

Ok - finally got around to checking and GAAA!!! Yes, holding it down and going WOT gets a 45 degree offset... I'm using a Witespy HT-450 and did rewire some myself, but should not have changed much about where the power wires go... Not sure how to fix that.

So, switched aux2 to auto-level barometer and had fun with that ;)

Mac9

Post by Mac9 »

Posted originally on the wrong forum/thread
Hi All,
I am posting on a thread that is not particularly the correct one, however I have a problem and would like some advice or even approbation. I am flying a Quad X using a Quadrino board. It flies OK on Dev 2012200622 in all modes other than "Headfree" I can use any combination of Mag/Level/Alt and it flies OK. With Headfree added to any or all of the modes it is un flyable. It seems, though I haven't tried to get the frame very far off the ground, that pitch and roll are partially reversed and cross coupled. I have calibrated the Mag and Accel using the GUI and when I do not select Headfree the frame flies OK. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards

John

PS what is WOT ?

PPS After about 20 mins, two batteries worth of testing I have come to a conclusion that has me completely confused. When I switch to Headfree what was the aft becomes forward and vice versa. Let me elaborate I am flying a X Quad and forward is between motors A and C and hence motor A is to port and B is starboard. When I switch in Headfree forward becomes between D and B hence motor B is to port and D is starboard. This was the reason for the behaviour stated above. Now the question is this exactly how Headfree should work, am I missing the point or is it just some thing in my set up that is wrong? Can any one who is flying with Headfree comment or can some one explain exactly what is meant by the Headfree mode. I can fly either way, no problem but Handsfree would seem to be an advantage as it should help with orientation problems but becomes of little value if you want to fly both mode as a shift from on the the other whilst flying would give me a severe case to the Which way up syndrome, Any way I hate it when I don't understand Why!

Help me to stop pulling out the few last wisps of hair.

Regards Again

John

PPPS
OK I can hear you all groaning, not him again and I don't blame you.
I finally did what I should have done about two days ago and RTFM. Its a no brainer when you give it a little more than 30 M sec thought. The mode does work exactly as it "Says on the tin" .The main problem I now have is the one expressed by PatrikE and others, that's getting my head and flying skill around a whole new orientation problem. Having flown helicopters with and without tail gyros, badly I must admit but flying "Tail in" just about, for a good number of years on and off, I now find that I am compensating for yaw/orientation changes automatically, as I have not done a lot of "Plank" Flying in which the orientation problem as far as Yaw is concerned does not exist, the nose always goes forward simplifying the task of guiding somewhat.This modification to the MultiWii software will I think make the transition from "Plank" to Multi painless, unlike my first attempts at Heli flying. I am sure that this mode is an absolute winner for anyone converting from "Planks" to Multi flight and only wish it existed before I got stuck in my ways.
All you guys giving of your time and effort to develop this software WELL DONE and keep up the good work.

Last Regards (on this topic I hope)

John
By the way I still don't know what WOT stands for.

KeesvR

Post by KeesvR »

WOT = Wide Open Throttle.

How does Headfree work:
When you use headfree and give some pitch forward the copter flies to the north for example, even if you give some yaw and the multi spins around it keeps flying to the north.
This is the same for all direction.

Ringo42

Post by Ringo42 »

checkboxes.jpg
I'm about ready to try to fly my quad for the first time with a Readytoflyquads multiwii pro 3.0. I'm a noob so I want it as stable as possible. Is this how I would use the setup program to select the correct stuff? Does it look like the correct options to always have it in stable mode and be able to test gps hold and RTH?

Ringo42

Post by Ringo42 »

130918-222730.jpg
as a followup question, I just tried the android app and I read back the setting from the board and the settings are different. Which one is correct? the chrome app or the android app?

scrat

Post by scrat »

multiwii ez-gui is the right one.

Ringo42

Post by Ringo42 »

Thanks, does it look like the right options I chose in the first post above?