When CW and CCW props are not the same brand

dramida

When CW and CCW props are not the same brand

Post by dramida »

I am using 11x4.7 SF props, the counter rotating props are APC genuine and the standard ones are from hobby king. They look the same but have slightly different torque in flight and my octo always tries to yaw left regardless of the yaw PID.

The yaw drift tends to increase as the battery drops its voltage so trimming the rc channel Nr 4 dosen't resolve the yaw drift for long.

Can it be made an coefficient to compensate the slightly different characteristics of the CW and CCW props?

Anybody flying with 11x4.7 APC and Hobby King?

Thank you.

mr.rc-cam

Re: When CW and CCW props are not the same brand

Post by mr.rc-cam »

I can't help with feedback about mixing them with APC. But I was using some decent MPI props. After I broke one I replaced all four with the 11x4.7 HobbyKings. The soft plastic makes the model fly differently. Although I liked their price (bought several sets) I plan to go back to the MPI props. No doubt the HK's are perfectly fine for other users, but I'm not excited by them.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

mr.rc-cam wrote:

No doubt the HK's are perfectly fine for other users, but I'm not excited by them.

I feel absolutely the same about APC props, there is just no comparison.

As for mixing, what are the weights of each prop brand?

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

I did not mix cw and ccw, but i mixed APC 10x3,6(or so) mounted on the backside of my quad-x, with GWS 10x4,7 on the front (more trust to compensate the weight of the cam) and this works just fine.

dramida

Post by dramida »

The 11x47 ccw props are from TowerPro (TP) bought from HK and the 11x4.7 CW propellers are from APC.
It looks that the torque produced by the TP props is greater than APC and the difference between them is increasing as the battery gives lower voltages.