Return to nose-out

Andy7

Return to nose-out

Post by Andy7 »

Something to help new flyers learning to get their orientation skills.

"Return to nose-out"

If you have a MAG, then the orientation is logged when the motors are armed. Flip the yaw quickly to full left or right will return the multi rotor to the initial heading in case you lose your bearings. Makes it easier to the. Fly back tail-in or get control again.

Useful? I know I'd use it. :)

ezio

Re: Return to nose-out

Post by ezio »

Andy7 wrote:Something to help new flyers learning to get their orientation skills.

"Return to nose-out"

If you have a MAG, then the orientation is logged when the motors are armed. Flip the yaw quickly to full left or right will return the multi rotor to the initial heading in case you lose your bearings. Makes it easier to the. Fly back tail-in or get control again.

Useful? I know I'd use it. :)

I like this idea.

Andy7

Post by Andy7 »

I guess the RTNO trigger would interfere with 'pro' flying, so might be worth having this and potentially other helper features on a new mode, or a define in the code.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Could be a function in Ez Gui.
Follow the heading of the phone attached on the TX.
Or a small ardu pushing msp messages.
Just ignore GPS coordinates.

kilby

Post by kilby »

Surely if you have a loiter style.mode (as dji, APM and just about everything has) then hitting loiter to bring the multirotor to a stable(ish) hover is enough.

From there it is really not too much of an ask for the "pilot" to input yaw the craft into the desired orientation.

If the "pilot" can't cope with that then they probably shouldn't be flying the machine in the first place.

ezio

Post by ezio »

PatrikE wrote:Could be a function in Ez Gui.
Follow the heading of the phone attached on the TX.
Or a small ardu pushing msp messages.
Just ignore GPS coordinates.

There is a follow heading option in Advanced section

Andy7

Re:

Post by Andy7 »

kilby wrote:Surely if you have a loiter style.mode (as dji, APM and just about everything has) then hitting loiter to bring the multirotor to a stable(ish) hover is enough.

From there it is really not too much of an ask for the "pilot" to input yaw the craft into the desired orientation.

If the "pilot" can't cope with that then they probably shouldn't be flying the machine in the first place.

... Well, of course this is the kind of feature that would only be used by pilots that are learning. Most mortals would start out with a little difficulty with orientation. This is something that would help to build confidence and help prevent accidents while learning - has to be a good thing.