Use DJI Naza GPS with MultiWii

albertoLG

Use DJI Naza GPS with MultiWii

Post by albertoLG »

Mine is only an idea, so we can test if the naza's better position hold stability it's for his gps with integrated mag or just the code :D

here are some topics on how get the data from the naza gps:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014472

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1995704

if somebody want implement it i can also test it with my multiwii

regards

timecop

Re: Use DJI Naza GPS with MultiWii

Post by timecop »

Lemme run right out and buy a $150 DJI GPS just so I could use it with my $7 ProMini328P.
What a great idea.

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

timecop wrote:Lemme run right out and buy a $150 DJI GPS just so I could use it with my $7 ProMini328P.
What a great idea.

timecop, I know what you think about DJI :D but this was only an idea to make a test. If i don't already have a naza, of course i'm not going to buy a DJI GPS only to fly with my multiwii. Many users complain about having the mag on the fc and that dji have the mag on a separate board, that dji PH is better because the gps is better, here we have the chance to test it with our multiwii, maybe some of us have both multiwii and naza, anyway i throw the idea, maybe if somebody like it and can implement only to test. I don't think it is so much work to do, just like adding another gps protocol? Mine is only an idea to make multiwii better and explore more.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Their GPS is same ublox6 you can get from HK for $22.
THeir mag is exactly same shit that everyone uses.
THere's nothing special about it.
If you notice that thread, it transmits gps velocity vector and other USEFUL shit that multiwii does NOTHING with in their nav code because it runs on obsolete 8bit hardware. So even if you get the best fucking GPS in the world connected to a promini, the result will be same = SHIT.

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

timecop wrote:Their GPS is same ublox6 you can get from HK for $22.
THeir mag is exactly same shit that everyone uses.
THere's nothing special about it.
If you notice that thread, it transmits gps velocity vector and other USEFUL shit that multiwii does NOTHING with in their nav code because it runs on obsolete 8bit hardware. So even if you get the best fucking GPS in the world connected to a promini, the result will be same = SHIT.

yeah.. I know it's the ublox, the same i bought and that i use with my multiwii... anyway nevermind... forget it ok? mine was an idea... that's all... maybe it can be tested on the naze32? oh.. i forgot it can't be used with any DJI hardware :twisted:

I'm kidding timecop...

regards

timecop

Post by timecop »

Sure, I'll go add nazagps+mag support to baseflight. I'm almost ready for it anyway, just need to do one more sensor cleanup part so that mag can come from another source other than mag sensor itself.

would be cool if multiwii/baseflight actually had working GPS code tho :)

Rob

Post by Rob »

;)

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

The dji gps combo is maximal unattractive for an open source project since the protocol is partly reverse hacked and will produce unwanted surprises.
There are gps/mag combos already available:
http://www.wii-copter.de/shop/catalog/p ... ori6uj7s63
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/flight ... plane.html
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/flight ... mpass.html
Or if you want to feed the 3dr randomly - crash - my - money - with failcode - beast: http://store.3drobotics.com/products/3d ... th-compass

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Or simply use a I2C Gps unit of your choice and solder a MAG piggyback on the i2c connections..

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

seems everybody hates what I posted...
this was an info about a possibility of connecting a naza-gps to test with a multiwii.... not a request to implement it, so forget other solutions or please close this topic and forget it.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

It's not that, it's just why would you use a $200 GPS + MAG when you can use a $20 GPS + MAG to the same effect, and at least you'd know what the protocol is.

timecop

Post by timecop »

BECAUSE ITS MOAR AMAZING!!11oneoneeleventy

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

albertoLG: "seems everybody hates what I posted..."
No! If you have such a unit lying around (with a crashed naza) it's not a bad idea but the undisclosed/partly hacked protocol is the problem. Going for that overpriced hardware in the first place for and opensoftware platform is like buying in the tbs shop.... not very clever...

albertoLG

Post by albertoLG »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:albertoLG: "seems everybody hates what I posted..."
No! If you have such a unit lying around (with a crashed naza) it's not a bad idea but the undisclosed/partly hacked protocol is the problem. Going for that overpriced hardware in the first place for and opensoftware platform is like buying in the tbs shop.... not very clever...

crash... I know how much is a naza gps... it was only an idea for who already have it to see how performs with the multiwii. I had a MT3329 gps on my multiwii, and the PH was very bad, only after I changed the threshold it performed better (after eosbandi suggestion). Now I use a ublox as gps for my multiwii and a naza light on another frame. On the naza I'm using a minimosd with this firmware http://code.google.com/p/minnazaosd/ with the above mentioned hached naza protocol. Are a couple of days that i'm testing it, and works very well, so after all that I thought why not try to see how works the naza gps on the multiwii using naza protocol? that's all, I'm not asking to everybody who have a multiwii to buy a fking overpriced dji gps when you can buy one for less than 30$. In my opinion, the goal of this hobby is to explore everything... I don't want start a debate Naza vs. Multiwii/etc. , too many pages have been writen about this and the conclusion was nothing! so please don't tell me things that I already know, about the dji shit FC that is overpriced and so on... If I bought a naza was because I wanted to try it and compare it with my multiwii, 169 euro was for the light, not as expensive like the V2 or the old V1, and with 169 euro I got gps+FC when with the same price you can almost buy only the gps. Thanks all

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Sorry if you was getting my post wrong, alberoLG. I didn't want to offend you in any way - it was meant the opposite way! Having another hardware supported (letting the price alone) is always some good idea and has to be encouraged. If you want to get the full benefit of the DJI GPS unit you will come across protocoll issues - that's basically all I wanted to state. The pricetag is obvious to everyone so that's not the point. You can always attach the sole DJI ublox gps unit via serial interface and in the worst case use nmea..