Airplane adaptive PIDs

Gartenflieger

Airplane adaptive PIDs

Post by Gartenflieger »

I have been thinking for a while how to avoid oscillations in fast flight on my Parkmaster (1m 3D parkflyer), particularly around the longitudinal axis, i.e. aileron oscillations. Of course I want high PIDs for hovering.
One thing is setting the throttle PID attenuation. However, in downward flight oscillations happened anyway because of the high speed even without WOT.
As i didnt want to add a speed sensor, I changed the software instead to adapt the PIDs depending on the plane's angle:
Nose pointing upwards -> increase PIDs, downwards -> decrease PIDs.

As of first quick and dirty test I tried modification of 50% for vertical down and 150% for vertical up (and 100%, of course, for horizontal flight).
It appears to work quite fine. Oscillations now happen only after transition from downward to horizontal flight, when speed is still high.

I have hacked it into the dynamic PID routine. I am not so sure about what typecasts are required, maybe one of the real developers wants to add it to the plane branch (is there actually still a plane branch?)?
My mod is based on an older version of PatrikE's plane code. The actual change is in the #if ACC -> #endif section.

Code: Select all

// PITCH & ROLL only dynamic PID adjustemnt,  depending on throttle value
  if   (rcData[THROTTLE]<BREAKPOINT) {
    prop2 = 100;
  } else {
    if (rcData[THROTTLE]<2000) {
      prop2 = 100 - (uint16_t)conf.dynThrPID*(rcData[THROTTLE]-BREAKPOINT)/(2000-BREAKPOINT);
    } else {
      prop2 = 100 - conf.dynThrPID;
    }
  }
  // ChW Plane Stabi 2.5: make PID dependant of angle: nose up -> higher PID, nose down -> lower PID
  //                      to avoid oszillations at high speed and aloow easy hovering
  #if ACC
  int16_t angle_prop2_factor; // percentage to change prop2; target range 50 to 150

angle_prop2_factor = 100-(angle[PITCH]/9)*0.5; // change here: compute factor from nose up angle
    prop2 = (uint8_t)(prop2*(float)angle_prop2_factor/100.0);
  #endif
  // End mod ChW Plane Stabi 2.5: make PID dependant of angle: nose up -> higher PID, nose down -> lower PID

for(axis=0;axis<3;axis++) {
    tmp = min(abs(rcData[axis]-conf.midrc),500);
    #if defined(DEADBAND)
      if (tmp>DEADBAND) { tmp -= DEADBAND; }
      else { tmp=0; }
    #endif
    if(axis!=2) { //ROLL & PITCH
      tmp2 = tmp/100;
      rcCommand[axis] = lookupPitchRollRC[tmp2] + (tmp-tmp2*100) * (lookupPitchRollRC[tmp2+1]-lookupPitchRollRC[tmp2]) / 100;
      prop1 = 100-(uint16_t)conf.rollPitchRate*tmp/500;
      prop1 = (uint16_t)prop1*prop2/100;
    } else {      // YAW
      rcCommand[axis] = tmp;
      prop1 = 100-(uint16_t)conf.yawRate*tmp/500;
    }
    dynP8[axis] = (uint16_t)conf.P8[axis]*prop1/100;
    dynD8[axis] = (uint16_t)conf.D8[axis]*prop1/100;
    if (rcData[axis]<conf.midrc) rcCommand[axis] = -rcCommand[axis];
  }

Entropia

Re: Airplane adaptive PIDs

Post by Entropia »

Hi,
It's quite funny that right these days I was thinking about the same thing!
I want to mount my multiwii on a 3D plane to stabilise it in hovering, I would like to prepare my own controller and I think the main challenge is adaptive PID.
I like your idea, I was thinking about a lot of solutions which are more complicated but interesting for me to try, like on the fly PID tuning or speed estimation through accelerometer/angles/throttle (actually not very different from your idea!).
I would be glad if you could help me implementing the code once I have prepared it...
Thank you,
Michele

Gartenflieger

Re: Airplane adaptive PIDs

Post by Gartenflieger »

Hi Michele,
let me know what you want to know once you are ready.

Retardation,
Christop