Multirotor chasing another Multirotor automatically? Tracker

gektor

Multirotor chasing another Multirotor automatically? Tracker

Post by gektor »

There is already a very nice experimental implementation of MWC following an Android Smartphone out there:

What about following one Multirotor using another one? If both have Bluetooth and GPS on board, it should be possible.

Any Ideas?

*No, I don't want to strap my Smartphone onto my Multirotor :D
Last edited by gektor on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ReadError

Re: Multirotor chasing another Multirotor automatically?

Post by ReadError »

Sounds useless, if you want it code it (Yes its possible)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

ReadError wrote:Sounds useless, if you want it code it (Yes its possible)

Par coming from you and would not expect anything less.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

gektor wrote:There is already a very nice experimental implementation of MWC following an Android Smartphone out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPj6WZex8j0.

What about following one Multirotor using another one? If both have Bluetooth and GPS on board, it should be possible.

Any Ideas?

*No, I don't want to strap my Smartphone onto my Multirotor :D

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

Cool, now do it without an array of motion tracking cameras.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

ReadError

Post by ReadError »

Nice, even more motion tracking cameras.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

GPS would work just fine in a large open field.

gektor

Post by gektor »

I was filming my Friend's new MultiRotor Air to Air without FPV. We were wondering, how we could assist it using GPS and Bluetooth.

Unfortunately, I'm not as experienced in Coding as it would be necessary in order to implement such things.

Well, it's just an Idea ;)

By the way, this functionality, once implemented, could be used to build a simple tracker, which may be cheaper and much smaller than a Smartphone. This would make Filming of the moving objects nice and easy.

BTW: Having Altitude Sensor and a Mag is also useful for the Chasing Function. As well as I know, Smartphones usually do not have Baro.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Actually, much of the coding is already done. What is required is a way to dynamically update the RTH waypoint.

gektor

Post by gektor »

Good Idea, copterrichie! The Home-Point implementation is already stable and works good.

As you can see in the Video in my first post, even more Coding is already done. If the Copter can follow a Smartphone (without landing on it :mrgreen: ), it can follow another Copter.

In my opinion, the only missing Part is the Communication between two Copters. No?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

gektor wrote:In my opinion, the only missing Part is the Communication between two Copters. No?

In my opinion, this is correct however I don't believe an AT328 would have the memory to do this, it would have to be a Mega2560 at minimum. However, I do see the I2C-GPS-NAV being modified to handle this application. There are many antenna tracking software out there that could be adapted that uses the audio line on a video system however Bluetooth Class 1 (not class 2) would most likely be the easiest to implement in my opinion. That way, there could be two way communications.

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

The P328 should be able to handle that, after all the whole serial protocol is already compiled in ... you "just" need to connect both copters via a serial bluetooth bridge and modify serial.cpp in a way so it periodically sends out the correct MSP message. This waypoint set message should probably not contain the position of the copter itself, but a point "near" the current GPS position in a pre defined direction.

gektor

Post by gektor »

The Task of Chasing another Multirotor is quite unusual, but chasing any moving Object would be great. Some standard MWC All in One Board, GPS and Bluetooth could make a cheap and sophisticated Tracker.
Last edited by gektor on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

gektor wrote:The Task of Chasing another Multirotor is quite unusual, but chasing any moving Object would be great. Some standard MWC All in One Board, GPS and Bluetooth could makes a cheap and sophisticated Tracker.

Just a wild thought, combine this tracker with the work being done to extend the flight time, and we have a commercial grade product. :o :o :o

95min 46s flighttime with quad: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1880665

Hamburger

Re: Multirotor chasing another Multirotor automatically? Tra

Post by Hamburger »

Exactly. I will keep that idea in mind when I will be digging into the rth stuff.
I have found that sometimes its initial value is less good than what could be had once .more sats are used.
So I want to have the rth pos to be user re-settable.