Altitude floor

Snir

Altitude floor

Post by Snir »

Hi Guy's

I have some Idea that may help and save alot of multicopters from crash,I call it Altitude Floor; the idea is to create an imaginary altitude floor(predefined) for example from ground level up to 5ft activated by AUX switch.
The pilot can fly like crazy above that floor,once the multirotor will hit altitude floor zone the FC will take the controls and will level the multicopter and by predefined time/altitude the controls will return to the pilot.

Of course you have to have a baro and silly pilot :D

Is it possible?

mahowik

Re: Altitude floor

Post by mahowik »

I had the same idea and already released this feature with my custom firmware two weeks ago :)

Code: Select all

/* It helps to protect descending less than specified in define altitude.
     * Activated when MAG activated to make it possible landing in AH.
     * E.g. It's should be useful for FPV.
     */
    //#define LOW_ALTITUDE_PROTECTOR_DURING_AH 400 // in cm, i.e. 4m
Last edited by mahowik on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snir

Post by Snir »

I'm happy to hear that :P
But I didn't understand what the multirotor will do when its hitting the low altitude? it just gonna land? I will try to translate your page from Russian to English...

mahowik

Post by mahowik »

> But I didn't understand what the multirotor will do when its hitting the low altitude? it just gonna land?
no, it will be switched to althold with minimal/low altitude and deny altitude descending by throttle stick...

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

BradQuick2

Post by BradQuick2 »

I see that felix beat me to the punch.

My "Uncrashability Mode" (see link above) works like this: The code anticipates when the aircraft might go below an altitude threshold by monitoring the rate of descent and predicting what the altitude will be one second in the future. If it's going to fall below the minimum altitude, the software takes over control. If it's up-side-down, it kills the trottle. It levels the aircraft, then applies throttle to get it back to the minimum altitude (using altitude hold code). While it is below minimum altitude, the pilot can only tilt it a maximum of 20 degrees, so he still has some control, but can't make it crash.

It also cuts the throttle if the altitude gets above an upper threshold.

If the setup also include a gps, then the system also takes over if you get too far away from where uncrashability was initialized, so you can't accidentally fly away.

Snir

Post by Snir »

Nice job felix!
I will try your code.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

@BradQuick2
Congratulation for your code its behavior looks promising!
May I have two feature requests! Please! :)
- Crius AIO Pro
- RC control with MSP_SET_RAW_RC

Regards
Andrej

BTW: will test current with Crius SE that seems to be the same as HK 328p