Disarm motors on crash...

jeb6754

Disarm motors on crash...

Post by jeb6754 »

It seems like it would be a good idea to create software that will disarm the motors when indications from the accelerometer show a crash. it would sure help the beginners and might prevent some damage.

Zapphoid

Re: Disarm motors on crash...

Post by Zapphoid »

Also disarm when upside down as well, I seem to end up that way a bit

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Zapphoid wrote:Also disarm when upside down as well, I seem to end up that way a bit

Not a good idea if you fly acro.

But the crash detection is a good idea.

Zapphoid

Post by Zapphoid »

subaru4wd wrote:
Not a good idea if you fly acro.

Was really for us non Acro fliers :D

timecop

Post by timecop »

I don't think that's gonna work too well.
How do you know crash vs normal flight? If you crash and your props are digging into the ground, you're sitll gonna have vibration levels similar to in-flight. Doing this with any kind of threshold is difficult, because more often than not, you'll end up false triggering it.

Zapphoid

Post by Zapphoid »

I would expect a large spike on impact but if the polling of the accelerometer only gives the value at that instant, impact between polls may miss this spike.
I have not looked at the functionality of the various accel hardware but some may have an option to read the highest value since last poll, just a thought.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

I was thinking, what if the Flight Controller had some sort of intelligence? And it could detect the quad copter "falling" and realize either motor failure, or prop failure. After a second of falling and not being able to maintain attitude, it disarms and just prays for a quick death.

Zapphoid

Post by Zapphoid »

I see the BMA180 has can generate interrupts for High G and also free fall after a time threshold, you want to get the values correct so they did not false trigger

timecop

Post by timecop »

No multiwii setup even bothers hooking up accel/gyro interrupt line btw.

Peter

Post by Peter »

I think the damage would already be there before it could detect and act on the impact. The propellers and arms would already be broken. If they survived that, it is unlikely they are going to be damage afterwards.
And there will be false detections, which would be dangerous. If a harddrive detects a false drop, it is not a problem..

cardboard

Post by cardboard »

I heard one guy used a glass fuse on the main battery line placed in such a way that in a crash it would break, cutting all power.

But I find disarming a natural reaction now, if the copter is going down I know I just have to pull the sticks a certain way and everything is safe.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

cardboard wrote:I heard one guy used a glass fuse on the main battery line placed in such a way that in a crash it would break, cutting all power.

But I find disarming a natural reaction now, if the copter is going down I know I just have to pull the sticks a certain way and everything is safe.

LOL, I laugh because I have used Fuses on all my builds. Works great and I have never had one to fail during flight but they have SAVED my ass on a few crashes. :mrgreen: