{idea}[hw+sw]possible to use xbee to replace radio?

jy0933

{idea}[hw+sw]possible to use xbee to replace radio?

Post by jy0933 »

i just came up with this thought..
is it possible to replace the radio with xbee set

if xbee can be use to replace radio.. then it might be able to enable we to use computer to monitor the ambient(telemetry) condition and control the vehicle pc joystick(flight joystick.. heck yeah!) .. and it is digital..

the current control signal are coming in thru radio with ppm.. on digital.. you can sent pwm directly w/o further process...
also since we are getting more function. gps/rth/routing..
(1. there is not enough switch on economical tx. with xbee you can use mwc to control/switch on-off some functions easily
(2. gps user would probably want to get real time position and this will also help to find the vehicle if it malfunctions (dedicate battery to control board so that even if the battery is doom.. you can still get the signal for location)

further more.. just as addition.. if you do fpv
it will be a great experiences to have fpv image on laptop along with all the options on its side..

still thinking on what can be extended with this... and i will say this might be a good direction to try..
(i'm not EE, dont have much knowledge on how to make all these works.. but sharing this idea and maybe someone can get inspired and make it work)

thanks

LenzGr

Re: {idea}[hw+sw]possible to use xbee to replace radio?

Post by LenzGr »

MultiWii already supports remote controlling via a serial signal - look for the RCSERIAL define in config.h. It should be trivial to pipe that serial stream through Xbee. Exchanging more information in a bi-directional fashion probably requires changes to the serial protocol.