wishlist for v2.2 - CLOSED

Sebbi

Re: wishlist for v2.2

Post by Sebbi »

As I am currently trying out Trello for personal use, I took the liberty to rewrite this wishlist as a Trello board here: https://trello.com/b/64KCRhQo

Everybody can vote and comment on every card, members can move them arround and add new ones. Could something like this provide more overview for the MultiWii development process?

janekx

Post by janekx »

Other signup and what next

Magnetron

Post by Magnetron »

Sebbi wrote:As I am currently trying out Trello for personal use, I took the liberty to rewrite this wishlist as a Trello board here: https://trello.com/b/64KCRhQo

Everybody can vote and comment on every card, members can move them arround and add new ones. Could something like this provide more overview for the MultiWii development process?

but why?
We can ask to Alex to open a public survey on this forum... so we can have all discussions and suggestions in one point... here. or not?

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

the new signup is really a showstopper but how about some nice words for the effort guys. I think he did a good job. Sometimes I think noone appreciates new ideas here anymore...

nils

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

It can use your existing Google account, but yeah, it is yet another place. Having said that, Trello has an API and can work together with Github, etc (cards would be issues on the tracker), but using an issue tracker is also something nobody was fond of :/ ...

I like a better overview of what is done, what is in progress and the ideas people have. A forum is great for discussions, but I struggle to find stuff here. So I'll try to maintain that Trello board for some time as a little side project ... you don't have to use it :D

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

I'll use it.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Sebbi wrote:I took the liberty to rewrite this wishlist as a Trello board here: https://trello.com/b/64KCRhQo

Having tool support is a good thing. Manually maintaining the summary really should be superfluous.
What I do not like (as with many its-the-web-applications)
- 5 pages of lawyers' rubbish to consent to - surely waive some of our rights; which?
- no export function - hooked once, hooked forever
- no forum integration/notification - yet another place to visit to keep track of what is going on in the project
- is not accessible without javascript

But as we are talking about an informal noncommital wishlist - why not

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

- It's just a whiteboard on steroids, Hamburger. Even if they would gain all the rights to all the text on there, so what? :-)
- Export is available, but only in a JSON format. There is no standard format for this kind of data, is there?
- you can subscribe and get notifications and they have an API and there are many scripts that can make it work with Github and I'm sure someone could write something for phpBB too (but it should be easier to just make the MultiWiiBot on the IRC channel read the Trello board and post there ... using that already to get notified of new posts in the forum *g*)
- javascript, true ... but what device has no javascript these days? And it even has apps for Android/iOS :)

I like Trello for what it is. Can be used for anything (shopping list?) and is easy to use so I will try to keep it up-to-date with what pops up in the forum ... just to get a better overview for myself. And now ... off to fantasizing about new features of MultiWii :D

msev

Post by msev »

Sebbi that website looks really good, I just don't like that I have to register :D hehe... My wish is for a working RTH & PH (loiter) for aero-planes including flying wings...Sebbi you can add it to your list :)

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

I added this and other stuff I found while hunting for ideas / bugs / features in the forum and the subversion log to the Trello Board: https://trello.com/board/multiwii-devel ... 4c4d688e4c ... i find it rather complete now.

@Hamburger: could you have a look at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2585&start=10#p25122 ... Alex seems to have typed in the code to implement the baro changes by hand (instead of merging a diff or using Git/Github and maintain every commit message of every change, but that's something nobody seems to want *g*) and forgot something so it altitude will be off for users with the BMP085.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

I had this "crazy" idea. :shock:

"Home base" tracker on the quad/plane to move the antenna accordingly
combined with a base tracker that will follow the plane/quad movements.

I dont know if this is posible but i think that will be usefull for many users.

Sebbi

Post by Sebbi »

Very risky (two error sources, the base and the antenna on the copter/plane need to be exactly aligned), but would certainly allow for crazy ranges ;-)

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

NikTheGreek wrote:I had this "crazy" idea. :shock:

NASA anyone? :) that is how they do it to reach stellar planets. Here is an interesting candidate for upgrading to an Ardiuno.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331648

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

NikTheGreek wrote:I had this "crazy" idea. :shock:

sure. It would require about the same gizmo to drive the plane's antenna as is used to drive a directional ground antenna. Other users trust MWii's RTH functionality so you may as well trust MWii to calculate the antenna direction.
Sounds like another usage of what some call follow.me to have a flying camera always point at a moving target which carries a gps tracker&sender.
If you switch to directional antennas and all works well, you gain decreased disturbance for your wireless transmission through other sources.

You will gain signal strength (equals range) but add risk (more components to fail).
Pleae post results.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Sebbi wrote:@Hamburger: could you have a look at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2585&start=10#p25122 ... .

so we will get an improvement on altitude computation with higher precision.
Fine, now I can implement the variometer functionality (and you would implement the audio signals for the terminal program?)

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

And here is another one.... :)
While playing with MSP serial TX I missed the option to set serial speed from/to EEPROM. I know it is now possible to use different serial speeds (on different ports) for Mega2560 based boards, but while there are Mini (328) boards around it would be nice to use that serial port and set necessary speed without recompilation and reloading, eg. normal GUI communication goes nicely over 115200 (BT and USB/FDTI), for APC220 telemetry or TX is 9600.

Regards Andrej

deno6031

Post by deno6031 »

i saw this on the ideas MCU,

improve Acc calibration without any procedure (plug and play and store in memory)

is this what i am hoping for? i dont want that my board calibrates my accelerometer everytime i connect the battery, i want to make an absolute calibration on a ground which is completely zero, and store it in the epprom, and whenever i connect the battery the accelerometer will use that calibration, and if there is a misfunction on it i should be able to calibrate it to the first calibrations back, i saw this function on a friend who is flying with a mikrokopter, i can't find a solid ground with zero degrees evertime i fly, even considered my landing gear isn't even on zero degree :D i always have to make inflight calibration and have to make acc trimming on everyflight.

is this possible?

don't get me wrong(my english is not my native language, please forgive if i made some mistakes or sound rude), i am completely happy with my multiwii, self leveling, altitude hold, carefree, position hold all working great(i don't even miss my naza, because gyro only mode is far better than naza), and i fly gyro only most of the time.But since i got my gps sensor last week(made my first PH today ), whenever i want to use it i have to use my other sensors too, and my only problem with it is that i have to calibrate my acc evertime.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

@deno6031
acc calibration _gets_ stored in eeprom already. It must be repeated only when upgrading firmware. You can do it once on your table and/or do inflight calib in your room and be done (unless you change load like with/without camera, bigger battery etc.).
(We have had error reports with crius boards involved where acc calibration does not properly written to eeprom and has to be repeated upon each power up. It could not be tracked down, to my knowledge)

deno6031

Post by deno6031 »

thank you for your reply hamburger,

me and some of my friend are using the crius board, maybe that is the problem.

whenever i connect my battery, my board does a gyro and acc calibration itself(if i move my quad when i connect my battery, my gyros are out of calibration, quad is moving without any stick input, i think that is normal, the thing that i don't get is the acc part of it, when i tilt my quad 30degrees left and connect my battery, my acc is thinking that 30 degree left is zero, and it is keeping this angle on flight) is this normal or is this a malfunction of crius boards? is there nothing against it that i could do?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Gyro calib is done automatically upon powerup.
Acc calib you must do once. Gets stored.
Yes normal. Copter learns its position in space at acc calib as normal and uses it as its level orientation.

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Hamburger wrote:Gyro calib is done automatically upon powerup.
Acc calib you must do once. Gets stored.
Yes normal. Copter learns its position in space at acc calib as normal and uses it as its level orientation.

Hamburger you are right but the crius boards acc need to be trimmed after calibration because i have three of those boards and all my friends run that board and they all won't be level after calibration and must use tx stick to trim them then they work great ! Everyone just needs to realize not to recalibrate after they get it trimmed level because it also resets trimming back to center ! Lot's of people on here are misunderstanding the trimming acc part ! :D

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

good point!
Please add it to the wiki :)

Termic1

Post by Termic1 »

Hamburger wrote:good point!
Please add it to the wiki :)

To modify wiki pages you need a login. I'll be happy to contribute. Can you assign me a login or do I have to ask Alex...or someone else?

Luciano

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

i thought it was a common sense not to re-calibrate acc unless necessary (eg,,, temp drift)

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

jy0933 wrote:i thought it was a common sense not to re-calibrate acc unless necessary (eg,,, temp drift)

Recalibrating is just to center trim ! For a temp drift you need to trim with stick configuration not recalibrate ! :D

n3m1s1s

Post by n3m1s1s »

Hi :)

would it be possible to make auto level variable please?

year ago when i used helicommand 3d and gyros for stabilization i used to have my gyros (i think?) on a 3 position switch, this used to give the effect of dampening the auto level effect of the helicommand in wind? sorry i cant really explain the effect but it worked really well :)

it was sort of like

switch up gyros at 65%

switch middle gyros at 60%

switch down gyros at 55%

i think?

the result was if it was too windy for the selected setting the multi would wobble, so switch to middle position to compensate for wind, if wind was too strong for position 2 switch to lowest position :) if wind was too strong for that? GO HOME :D i used a dx6i at the time

but now with a turnigy 9x if i could do the same thing i would love to put a similar function on one of the dials?

sort like either

set dial to max and tune quad in a room with no turbulence other than whats created by the quad to have a rock steady hover then when out flying if wind picks up you just dial down the strength of your settings to compensate?

or set dial to center then tune for rock steady hover then go fly and see if a stronger or weaker setting works for your particular setup?

its been a long time since i played with helicommand and gyros and cant say for sure whether it was the cyclic gyros i had on a 3 position switch or the helicommand :( sorry, so cant say for sure if i want tunable gyro or acc or even if these are the right things to be asking for?

did find this old vid

http://youtu.be/7EXdesiYvmU

in it you see me take off in position one and the tri has high speed wobble (very slight but unflyable?) so i land and switch to position 2 :) fly till interrupted lol so if i remember right once tuned the difference in setting strength needed to fly on a calm day vs a windy day were quite small? maybe the 3 position switch might work better than the floating dial approach but as a wishlist item i would like something like that please? :D

btw took a break for a year and have not touched multiwii since 1.9 :( so some catching up to do but would like to say THANK YOU for EVERYONE'S efforts so far ;) i put 2.1 on my naze32 last night so over the next couple of weeks will try and update myself

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

jpeti29

Post by jpeti29 »

Maybe the alternative HEADFREE mode?
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2951

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

sure, will add it on next update to list. Is that an extra new mode or should it replace the existing headfree one? If new, do you have a suggestion for a name?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I added a ReConnect button in _shared Gui.
It tries ReConnect with the same settings as last connection.

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

sonar.. since i2c ones are in already.. how about the trig/echo ones??

nhadrian

Post by nhadrian »

Hamburger wrote:sure, will add it on next update to list. Is that an extra new mode or should it replace the existing headfree one? If new, do you have a suggestion for a name?

Hi,

it is a variation of the current Headfree mode, mainly for higher distances and FPV.
Advanced headfree mode or Secure headfree mode would be a good name I think.

BR
Adrian

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I wish here was a way to set the Pitch and Roll Rates in the MWC independently. Sure would make the task of tuning a Bicopter much easier being it does not have symmetric power on all axises. I understand I can set the rate in my transmitter but it would be nice to have this feature in MWC.

Cephalgie

Post by Cephalgie »

-use every serial for everything on Mega types
-sonar processing for altitude hold
-optical flow sensor for position hold
-telemetry via Jeti and Frsky telemetry downlink
Last edited by Cephalgie on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lapino

AW: wishlist for v2.2

Post by Lapino »

Maybe inflight pid tuning via spare rc channels?
First play with p, flip a switch to i, play with it, flip again and do d...last but not least maybe again p.
Configurable via GUI what mode (angle, level or nav... whatsoever) you want to tune ;)

AndrejLV

Post by AndrejLV »

Telemetry for Graupner Hott system.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

I doubt that all the wishes listed here within the last weeks will be fulfilled by 2.2, which is expected to be released soon.

Cephalgie wrote:-telemetry via Jeti and Frsky telemetry downlink

I support the idea to consider telemetry features. My proposal would be to create a new file "telemetry.ino" including all telemetry related code.
As far as I know the Frsky telemetry integration is already quite successful.

AndrejLV wrote:Telemetry for Graupner Hott system.

Is there anybody who knows something about the integration of the other telemetry systems?

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

QuadBow wrote:Is there anybody who knows something about the integration of the other telemetry systems?

there is a jeti telemetry integration. you have to search here in this forum.

+1 jeti telemetry :)

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

I was more thinking about the question why no telemetry feature has been included into the official release right now.
Frsky and Jeti integration should already run quite well, but HOTT seems to be a challenge.

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

Cephalgie wrote:-use every serial for everything on Mega types

this could be very useful,
at the moment I need to disconnect the OSD every time I want to connect via GUI or upload new firmware.

+ failsafe options in GUI? Like RTH or hold or else.

In-Flight

Post by In-Flight »

Any thought to optimizing VTAIL config?
A few people reporting enhanced control with VTAIL using this custom setup.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=2134

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

is this meant to replace the existing VTAIL? Changing prop rotations will void the graphics in GUI? Is there a majority of VTAIL users running this altered configuration?

anyway from a quick look, something like

Code: Select all

vtail4Thrust = sin(VTAIL4ANGLE);
with

Code: Select all

#define VTAIL4ANGLE 40
will not pass Alex' coding standards - unwanted trig function & unneccessary repreated computation on a constant.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

IMO, this VTAIL stuff has gotten ridiculous and I am the one that created it. It does not require all of that. Good Lord.

In-Flight

Post by In-Flight »

those who add the code love it. many are skeptical of doing this kind of modification so they don't try it or use y4 instead. The problem with the existing vtail setup is that the copter does not perform like a quad. you cannot yaw without unwanted roll. it's a whole different beast as vtail should use thrust to yaw rather than torque. In other words, the biggest flaw with vtail is the innabity to rotate on the Y axis without changing x. you can not yaw spin and stay in place. If this isn't the solution, I would think it needs to be revisited for an "approved" solution. few people use vtail for this reason.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

This is very off-topic, I don't have that problem. If you care to do a search, there are VTAIL threads where this has been discussed.

In-Flight

Post by In-Flight »

copterrichie wrote:This is very off-topic, I don't have that problem. If you care to do a search, there are VTAIL threads where this has been discussed.

Hardly. Valid question for 2.2. Your attitude is not appreciated. Very surprised by your rudeness. This is supposed to be a community that helps each other, not one that flames each other.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

In-Flight wrote:
copterrichie wrote:This is very off-topic, I don't have that problem. If you care to do a search, there are VTAIL threads where this has been discussed.

Hardly. Valid question for 2.2. Your attitude is not appreciated. Very surprised by your rudeness. This is supposed to be a community that helps each other, not one that flames each other.

If you are so interested, then here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=665

I created it and did lots of testing on the design however, some people felt they know more about it then I do, so here we are with one HUGE mess.

Mark_K

Post by Mark_K »

Here's a trivial to implement feature request:

Have an option in the arming code for the user to only be able to arm when there is a 3d solution for the gps.

RTH without gps home coordinates is problematic for my quad... :lol:

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

a wishlist item....
data logging for the boards those have flash chip (aiop2 for now)

it will be pretty useful for post-flight analysis since current GUI does not have a data logging feature...(wingui had it.. but HAD... outdated already...)

alexia

Post by alexia »

Great idea!