Direct Frsky telemtry data from MW FC

maik

Re: Direct Frsky telemtry data from MW FC

Post by maik »

Hi Bart,
I just send some captured FrSky data to your EMail.

Maik

ezio

Post by ezio »

maik wrote:Hi Bart,

Maik

Thanks

izeman

Post by izeman »

ezio wrote:
maik wrote:Hi Bart,

Maik

Thanks

glad that maik did it, as i have no working level converter (as you could read in the past posts). thanks

ezio

Post by ezio »

Thanks for help. The problem has been fixed. Beta version will be available in few hours.

henfri

Post by henfri »

Hello,

thanks for the work on this!
Can you confirm, that this is the latest code?
http://code.google.com/p/multiwii-osd/s ... rsky_sport

And:
What's that about the S.Bus Host Mode?
https://code.google.com/p/multiwii-osd/wiki/Frsky_SPort
What's the difference?

Greetings,
Hendrik

izeman

Post by izeman »

i got telemetry working now. seems there where two problems:

.) the level converter was broken
.) i had to set "serial protocol" from "none" to "hub" at my remote :)

if you never used telemetry before it's easy to overlook this very obvious but never used before parameter :oops:

SpeedBoy

Post by SpeedBoy »

izeman wrote:.) i had to set "serial protocol" from "none" to "hub" at my remote :)

What is your remote, bro? I don't see it at my taranis settings.

izeman

Post by izeman »

SpeedBoy wrote:
izeman wrote:.) i had to set "serial protocol" from "none" to "hub" at my remote :)

What is your remote, bro? I don't see it at my taranis settings.

turnigy 9xr with frsky mod and open-tx.
here is a pic:

IMG_0274.JPG

henfri

Post by henfri »

Hello,

can someone confirm, that this code (FrskyTelemetry.zip 3344Byte) works with an X8R?
There were comments in this thread, that the X8R uses a different SPort Protocol (which sounds odd to me: Does FRSKY offer different Sensors for it?)

Besides: I use this inverter:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/115200bps-Stucke ... 3cc8fe732d

Unfortunately it gets very hot as soon as I connect voltage to it. I think I might have fried it, as my Board/BEC supplies around 5.9V, rather than 5V (I have fixed that now).
Anyway: I am also not sure about the wirering of this. Can someone upload a photo?

I thought:
Controller Side:
Serial TX connected to inward pointing arrow on TTL Side
5V connected to + on TTL Side
GND connected to - on TTL Side

X8R Side:
Serial TX connected to outward pointing arrow on RS232Side
+ on RS232 Side not connected
GND connected to - on RS232 Side

But also I read somewhere, that the Protocol uses RX and TX on one cable (half-duplex). But I might mistake that with SBus?

Greetings,
Hendrik

henfri

Post by henfri »

No comments?

izeman

Post by izeman »

i don't know what code you are referring two, and i guess noone wants to search the whole thread to find the correct link. maybe you should post it.
i had the very same problem with the converter getting hot and posted that already. i guess they sell a lot of cheap sh*t. i bought three converters from 3 different ebay sellers and 2 of them work. my power source is 5v though.
the wiring as you described it is correct, but you can leave away the rs232 gnd as gnd is already connected. there are at least 3 pictures in this thread (included one post from me) where you can see the correct wiring.

ASAP

Post by ASAP »

Hi all!
I have a FrSky Taranis and an X8R and I'm using a HK multiwii pro FC on my quadcopter. As soon as I realized the idea of sending telemetry datas from the FC to taranis by reading this post, I went mad !
Yet, I didn't understood if It is possible or not and I sincerely ask someone help !
Is there anything we can do? Any working code ? Do I need external circuits ?
ASAP

izeman

Post by izeman »

did you read ANY post here? doesn't look like. i suggest reading all from the very beginning. there are circuit and all info you need.

ASAP

Post by ASAP »

So do you confirm me It is possible to do it (with Taranis and X8R)?
I started reading first pages, but right now I believe not; I will continue reading.
Thank you!

ASAP

Post by ASAP »

Still no idea! I hope someone could help me. I have only read about the possibility to do it with other frsky rx, X8R excluded !!! Or I'm wrong ?

izeman

Post by izeman »

so telemetry is working. that's good. i can see ACCx, heading, gps data etc.
but i really struggle with VOLTAGE and CURRENT. if i connect it into A1 and A2 of my d8r-xp receiver is can see that data. but i'd like to feed voltage and amps to the fc and transmit it via serial protocol to the receiver (as the other data).
so i chose FAS as input and i can see values, but no matter to what analogue port (standard values A0 = vbatpin and A2 = psensorpin) i connect me sensing line i don't get reasonable values.
i guess i mix up some thing that don't go together, maybe someone can help:
is FAS meant to read regular voltage divider values and output from a acs758 sensor? or can this only read "original" FAS-40/100 data? is my only chance to use A[12] for that? or buy a FAS sensor?

izeman

Post by izeman »

amp and voltage sensor connected to d8r receiver's A1 and A2 gives jumping values for current. the reading seems ok. resolution is quite low as this is a 200a sensor. i'd like to stop the jumping. any idea how to do it?

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi izeman,
With the values changing so quickly, maybe they are not real data values.
It maybe the sensor data is not getting through.
You may find help on the OpenRCforums being you are using er9x on your Turnigy9x.
Bob B.

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

ASAP wrote:Hi all! I have a FrSky Taranis and an X8R and I'm using a HK multiwii pro FC on my quadcopter.
As soon as I realized the idea of sending telemetry data from the FC to taranis by reading this post, I went mad !
Yet, I didn't understood if It is possible or not and I sincerely ask someone help !
Is there anything we can do? Any working code ? Do I need external circuits ?
ASAP
ASAP wrote:So do you confirm me It is possible to do it (with Taranis and X8R)?
I started reading first pages, but right now I believe not; I will continue reading.
Thank you!

Hi ASAP,
I do not know the details how to send MultiWii Telemetry Sensor Data through FrSky Receivers / Transmitters
and display it on our 9x Radio telemetry screens.
It is possible to do, I think some people have done it, but so far no one has completely documented how to do it yet.
Yes, I think you need additional circuits boards with firmware between your MultiWii board and the FrSky Receiver.
I am watching this subject, hoping someone will do a complete documentation of how to do this.
I know this dose not help much, I would like to do this also.

Bob B.

izeman

Post by izeman »

thanks bob. this openXvario stuff sounds interesting. as always it's a LOT of reading before you have even the LIGHTEST idea what those guys are talking about. always nice to see a project with a wiki.
i guess that openXvario collects several telemetry data and sends them to the remote. maybe this is the more versatile solution. i guess i'll try it out.

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

henfri

Post by henfri »

Hello,

izeman wrote:i don't know what code you are referring two, and i guess noone wants to search the whole thread to find the correct link. maybe you should post it.

Sorry. This is the Code I refered to:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1929&start=150#p43296
download/file.php?id=2497

The question is, whethter the code works for both the XR8 and the D-Series RX.

Greetings,
Hendrik

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Why do we need a hardware converter for frsky telemetry on a multiwii, when cleanflight/naze32 seems to do it with no additional hardware?
Does it have something to do with the "old" telemetry used in the D4R/D8R vs new in the X series? Id be happy with support for the old ones without needing an inverter.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Vertigo wrote:Why do we need a hardware converter for frsky telemetry on a multiwii, when cleanflight/naze32 seems to do it with no additional hardware?
The Frsky protocol for the old receivers requires inverted signals. ATmega CPU does not support this inversion by hardware. So, either you have to use software serial (not recommended, since users have reported timing and performance issues) or you have to use a hardware connector, which consists basically of one transistor function. This is not necessary for Naze since that hardware is powerful enough to deal with software serial without performance issues.

izeman

Post by izeman »

i must say this is the most frustrating and time consuming mission i try to accomplish.
so many different approaches, patch for different MW versions. i once got gps, altitude etc showing on my remote, but amp and voltage was wrong. no i can have (more or less) correct voltage readings but nothing else but ACC values. no altitude, no gps, no heading, no current..
i use the rc-timer 90a current/voltage sensor which works. i had to add some correction factor of /100 as current was showing 10A instead of 0.1A. now this works fine and quite accurate in multiwii gui. so i assume that my connections are all working well and i got voltage and current connected to the right analogue inputs of my crius aio.
has anyone got a COMPLETE up2date multwii directory working with ALL (available) flight data sent to the remote? i want to have capacity warning and low voltage warning on my remote, and also would like to log max altitude and max current drawn by the motors.
thanks in advance!

ps. i still don't understand why this doesn't find it's way into the official branch. does it add so much more complexity? frsky telemetry doesn't destroy any other features, and if you don't activate the code it's not even present in the firmware ...

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

izeman wrote:i still don't understand why this doesn't find it's way into the official branch. does it add so much more complexity? frsky telemetry doesn't destroy any other features, and if you don't activate the code it's not even present in the firmware ...

I agree with you. I don't understand neither, why this piece of well running software has not found its way into the official branch. I suggested it one year ago, when we discussed about the features for multiwii 2.4, but unfortunately without big success.

izeman

Post by izeman »

one week later, and nobody here is willing to put a working multiwii version online? wow.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

izeman wrote:one week later, and nobody here is willing to put a working multiwii version online?

I saw your point and took it into consideration...

Attached you can find my FRSKY telemetry extension to multiwii. Consider that you have to use a level converter between FC and FRSKY receiver as described earlier in this post.

Consider that I use a homebrew non-standard multiwii version with several additional features. So, I took me some time to seperate only the telemetry functions.
I have not had the possibility to test the attached version with your configuration.

So, you have to adapt config.h as usual. You should enable VBAT and POWERMETER and set the related definitions properly.
I have implemented a cells' voltage measuring. Of course, it only runs if you have connected all cells output via resistor deviders to the flight controller. If you want to use it, you have to define VCELLS in config.h and set the related definitions CELLxPIN and CELLxSCALE properly.
I have also implemented an estimation of the average speed of motors (rpm). For this you have to know the resistance of each motor in milliohm and the KV value and set the related definitions R_MOTOR and KV_MOTOR in config.h properly.

Furthermore, you have to set SERIALx_COM_SPEED (the serial used for telemetry) to 9600.

On the FLD-02 display you will see:
- arming time
- voltage
- temperature of the built-in sensor
- second temperatur of a second sensor (optional)
- RSSI
- number of satellites as fuel level
- motors' speed (rpm)
- distance to home
- course
- current
- capacity consumption (Ah)
- cell voltages (if enabled)
- acceleration
- longitude and latitude

Good luck!
Attachments
Multiwii2_3Telemetry.zip
FRSKY telemetry extension
(157.04 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

izeman

Post by izeman »

thanks a lot. i really appreciate your effort. having a (for you) working solutions makes it easier for me to determine the problems i have with my version. i will test and report back!

izeman

Post by izeman »

quick testing: it's working. you seem to have modded voltage reading somehow. the voltage reported to multiwii_gui and sent to telemetry is around a factor 2 off. can that be? eg. it shows 12.2v (which is correct) on my console and 23.1v on my remote.
at least now i can see current, voltage, altitude, gps and others. thanks a lot again!

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

izeman wrote:is around a factor 2 off. can that be?

The FLD-02 device has to be configured, too.
Go to "Menu" at start-up and set the second value of the entry "Volt Ratio" to the ratio of the resistor devider for the accu voltage.
If you change that ratio to the half of the current value, it will show you the right voltage. In the worst case you could have to replace the resistors in order to get a more suitable volt ratio.

izeman

Post by izeman »

QuadBow wrote:
izeman wrote:is around a factor 2 off. can that be?

The FLD-02 device has to be configured, too.
Go to "Menu" at start-up and set the second value of the entry "Volt Ratio" to the ratio of the resistor devider for the accu voltage.
If you change that ratio to the half of the current value, it will show you the right voltage. In the worst case you could have to replace the resistors in order to get a more suitable volt ratio.

i don't have a FLD-02. i show the values directly on the 9XR remote. so i changed the Voltage Amperage section in telemetry.cpp to the "original" voltage calculation:

Code: Select all

// Voltage (Ampere Sensor) 
void inline send_Voltage_ampere(void)
{
         uint16_t Data_Voltage_vBat_bp;
         uint16_t Data_Voltage_vBat_ap;
         uint16_t Data_Voltage_I_Motor;   
         uint16_t voltage;
         voltage = (analog.vbat * 110) / 22.5;         
         Data_Voltage_vBat_bp = voltage / 100;
         Data_Voltage_vBat_ap = ((voltage % 100) + 5) / 10; 
         Data_Voltage_I_Motor = analog.amperage / 100;

sendDataHead(ID_Voltage_Amp_bp);
  write_FrSky16(Data_Voltage_vBat_bp);
  sendDataHead(ID_Voltage_Amp_ap);
  write_FrSky16(Data_Voltage_vBat_ap);   
  sendDataHead(ID_Current);
  write_FrSky16(Data_Voltage_I_Motor);   
}

i also had to enable several settings in "main function" section, as i didn't get "heading" and "GPS altitude" showing. i also set the "rpm" to the "real" number of satellites instead of a % setting.

Code: Select all

// Main function FrSky telemetry
void telemetry_frsky(void)
{
   static uint32_t lastTime;
   static uint8_t tele_loop;
   if ((millis() - lastTime) > 250) {
      // Data sent every 250ms
      lastTime = millis();
      tele_loop++;
      send_Voltage_ampere();
      send_Accel();
      // Data sent every 1s
      switch (tele_loop) {
         case 1:
         send_Num_Sat();
         send_GPS_longitude();
         break;
         case 2:
         send_Altitude();
         send_RPM();
                        send_GPS_altitude();
         send_GPS_speed();
         break;
         case 3:
         send_cell_volt();
         send_GPS_latitude();
                        break;
         case 4:
         send_Course();
         send_RPM();
         send_Time();
         tele_loop = 0;
         break;
         default:
         break;
      }
      sendDataTail();
   }
}
#endif

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

izeman wrote:so i changed the Voltage Amperage section in telemetry.cpp to the "original" voltage calculation:
It seems that FRSKY deviated for the voltage from the normal scheme of one integer before the dot and one after the dot.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

QuadBow wrote:
izeman wrote:i still don't understand why this doesn't find it's way into the official branch. does it add so much more complexity? frsky telemetry doesn't destroy any other features, and if you don't activate the code it's not even present in the firmware ...

I agree with you. I don't understand neither, why this piece of well running software has not found its way into the official branch. I suggested it one year ago, when we discussed about the features for multiwii 2.4, but unfortunately without big success.

And honestly me too.
I remember it was initially suggested as a standalone extra file patch frsky.cpp or something like this. Not really the file structure I like to see.
So at this time, I decided to split Serial.cpp and Protocol.cpp to separate clearly all UART "low device" communication (Serial) and functional aspects like MSP (Protocol).
The purpose was also to use the new Protocol.cpp file to gather all functional communication aspects like telemetry.
Sebbi was involved in this process, but no news since. And I personally don't use any telemetry system, so can't offer the support it deserves.
So my suggestion:
After 2.4 release, are you ok to integrate and support frsky things in the main branch ?

vpb

Post by vpb »

Alexinparis wrote:So my suggestion:
After 2.4 release, are you ok to integrate and support frsky things in the main branch ?

Its very good idea... :idea:
I still use Frsky Telemetry with r1739 in the old way, standalone file. And its still working good :mrgreen:

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Alexinparis wrote:After 2.4 release, are you ok to integrate and support frsky things in the main branch ?
Hi Alex, I would be pleased to do so. The question would be how to integrate frsky telemetry into multiwii leaving some room for other telemetry protocols like hott, s.port, etc. My proposal would be to start with the proposed files telemetry.cpp/h. The section for frsky will be separated with the definition FRSKY_TELEMETRY. This would leave some room to add on further telemetry protocols. Maybe we could universalise some functions, even if the protocols differ from each other.

TheBum

Post by TheBum »

I'm already assuming this approach with the modifications I'm making to the old HoTT telemetry code, so merging it in should be somewhat simple.

The HoTT code is pretty large, so I'd still like to keep the bulk of it in a separate source file to keep from cluttering Protocol.cpp too much.

seikurou

Post by seikurou »

What am I doing wrong here?
I've checked the serial speed which should be 9600
Tried swapping the tx/rx wires
using QuadBow's code (thank you for that)
Not even sure if i'm supposed to use that that level converter, or any at all.
Thanks

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

@seikuruo

You are using a cheap Promini/ATmega328-based flight controller. That type of controller has only one serial port. That serial0 is used for the connection to your computer. Frsky telemetry requires a second serial port-not an AUX port. Therefore you have to use a Mega/ATmega2560-based flight controller. All attempts to use software-serial (that means any port can act as a serial) on a promini failed due to performance issues.

baco

Post by baco »

MultiWii 2.4 Just Published and I wanted to implement telemetri FrSky with files of version 2.3, but does not work. Get an error in a variable that is not declared, "ACC_1G" but not that it is this variable. Any help, please?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acaba de salir multiwii 2.4, y he querido implementar la telemetri FrSky con los archivos de la version 2.3, pero no funciona. Sale un error en una variable que no esta declara, "ACC_1G", pero no se que es esta variable. Alguna ayuda, por favor?

haydent

Post by haydent »

QuadBow wrote:
Alexinparis wrote:After 2.4 release, are you ok to integrate and support frsky things in the main branch ?
Hi Alex, I would be pleased to do so. The question would be how to integrate frsky telemetry into multiwii leaving some room for other telemetry protocols like hott, s.port, etc. My proposal would be to start with the proposed files telemetry.cpp/h. The section for frsky will be separated with the definition FRSKY_TELEMETRY. This would leave some room to add on further telemetry protocols. Maybe we could universalise some functions, even if the protocols differ from each other.

not a bad idea having telemetry files, as there's quite alot that could go in there. with the various protocols around. i recently patched against shared the s.port addon into protocol files from alex's advice, but it hasnt been accepted yet.

TheBum

Post by TheBum »

Some possible common functions I can think of are a setup function (called from the MultiWii.cpp setup() function), an arm function, a disarm function, and a "check" function. Calls for the first three should be able to be placed in static locations in the code.

The "check" function's purpose would be to check for telemetry requests and get the ball rolling on sending the data to the receiver. If the protocol dictates that the telemetry data be sent unsolicited, it would only perform the second task. The function would be called from the control loop, but finding a location that fits every telemetry protocol might be tricky. In most cases, I would think that immediately after all the loop data is updated would be the place to call it, but I couldn't say that one or two protocols might not need it somewhere else.

The HoTT telemetry code I'm working would need to use the setup, arm, and "check" functions as a minimum. The only specialized code I'd have left is the code in the serial ISR to save a request timestamp, which is needed to support the timing constraints of the protocol.

baco

Post by baco »

Ya lo he solucionado. Pongo el código nuevo.

Telemetria FrSky en MultiWii 2.4

https://mega.co.nz/#!8pVCzIRa!hCMJ5H5sgBP5540_GOYCd-C0Dpr8J4jSfSMTqdFikn8

ardufriki

Post by ardufriki »

Hi there, I`m using 2.4 MW code, but also a MWOSD at SERIAL 3. Should I change the define:

#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3

to this?

#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 1

It seems SERIAL 1 is not used in my CRIUS AIO PRO V2..

ardufriki

Post by ardufriki »

I have the SERIAL 1 for Frsky, but I dont see anything in that port. I have tested with ftdi connector and terminal software, but no success. I have connected only TX line.

Does the Frsky protocol need both RX and TX lines or Multiwii transmittes information without being asked to?

Any clue?

baco

Post by baco »

Tienes puesto el inversor?

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Hi ardufriki,

Are you talking about multiwii frsky telemetry or about openlrsng you mentioned in http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6262 ?

Have you connected the level converter (mentioned earlier in this thread) between your multiwii flight controller and the FRSKY receiver? You need only the TX line of multiwii to be connected to RX of the receiver.

ardufriki

Post by ardufriki »

Hi Quadbow, Im talking about the same issue, but now it is solved :-)

I had to select SERIAL 1, and everything works now !! No need of RX line, as you said. Thanks.

I dont need level converter, cause Im using orangerx RX flashed with openlrsng as "frsky emulator", I connect TX1 from CRIUS FC to RX pin of my orangerx RX.

Now I have many values in the screen of my Turnigy 9x transmitter (hacked and flashed with er9x frsky option).

I have to check all, but it seems number of sats, amps, heading, altitude, throttle and other values works fine. I still dont have GPS position values displayed ok in the LCD screen (rare numbers and so on), and I cant get the voltage from MW (I see the internal battery of the transmitter instead), but it is a beggining.

I think I will have to flash another versión more compatible with all of this er9x or openTX in my transmitter

A hard work, but know I am getting something. :-)

PD: I have checked the Telemetry.cpp and I dont see any errors control (checksum or similar), so the bad packets could be dropped. I see many rare values in my LCD.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Hi ardufriki,

Firstly: Congratulations!

Secondly: You talked about TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL, which is not defined in the code snipplets mentioned in this thread (here it is called more universally TELEMETRY_SERIAL). So, where have you got your code from?

Thirdly: The missing variables might be caused by the receiver. at least the Frsky (old) telemetry (D-series) receivers D8R-II and D8R-XP swallow the incoming telemetry inputs for the voltage and replace it by the internal voltages. Up to now I have not found any solution to overcome that behaviour. I have to connect the battery voltage via a resistor devider to the receiver pin A1. Maybe OpenLRSng simulates the same behaviour...

Forthly: I don't have any clue as to the GPS data. I would be interesting to have the question from SECONDLY answered.

Lastly: What values er9x, opentx, etc display on the transmitter screen?