Direct Frsky telemtry data from MW FC

QuadBow

Re: Direct Frsky telemtry data from MW FC

Post by QuadBow »

turismo05 wrote:I also have a FAS100 connected into the RX of my Telemetry port on the multiwii but not getting any info from that. I'm not sure how complete that part of the code is as it says todo next to it. Not had much time to look at that but at least the other bit is working.

The issue is that the telemetry extension has not become part of the official multiwii distribution. Therefore, there are different approaches to be found.
I just handed over vbat in tenth of volts and amperage in milliampere:

Code: Select all

// Voltage (Ampere Sensor) 
void inline send_Voltage_ampere(void)
{
  uint16_t Data_Voltage_vBat_bp;
  uint16_t Data_Voltage_vBat_ap;   
  uint16_t Data_Voltage_I_Motor;

Data_Voltage_vBat_bp = analog.vbat / 10;         
  Data_Voltage_vBat_ap = analog.vbat - Data_Voltage_vBat_bp * 10;         
  Data_Voltage_I_Motor = analog.amperage / 100;

sendDataHead(ID_Voltage_Amp_bp);
  write_FrSky16(Data_Voltage_vBat_bp);
  sendDataHead(ID_Voltage_Amp_ap);
  write_FrSky16(Data_Voltage_vBat_ap);   
  sendDataHead(ID_Current);
  write_FrSky16(Data_Voltage_I_Motor);   
}

Your challenge will be to configure the FAS-100. A similiar discussion can be found here: http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3230

Fastrack

Post by Fastrack »

Long time, stuff got in the way. So I haven't posted I a long time. Getting back to my quad build.

I've read over what I missed and it seems telemetry is still not working on SPORT or Smart Port on the X8R. I also have a D8r, but would rather use the X8R.

Ben

haydent

Post by haydent »

correct, there is no s.port code yet

haydent

Post by haydent »

hi all, just want to give this thread the drop on something soon to be released.
https://code.google.com/p/scarab-osd/wiki/Frsky_SPort
does the opposite of this thread, takes smart port sensor data and shows it in the osd

also as a sub point, it should be pointed out that the s.port vario sensor also doubles as a connector between hubbed and hubless sensors and recievers

Fastrack

Post by Fastrack »

haydent wrote:hi all, just want to give this thread the drop on something soon to be released.
https://code.google.com/p/scarab-osd/wiki/Frsky_SPort
does the opposite of this thread, takes smart port sensor data and shows it in the osd

also as a sub point, it should be pointed out that the s.port vario sensor also doubles as a connector between hubbed and hubless sensors and recievers

Kinda cool. But buying sensors that we already have seems like a waste ... gps etc.. Good for planes, helis and gliders I guess.

Still waiting on the SPort to multiwii :)

Ben

haydent

Post by haydent »

individual cell monitoring is something its worth it for, as its important for your lipos health as cells dont drain equally

Fastrack

Post by Fastrack »

Ah okay yes that's true. Good idea.

Ben

Laze

Post by Laze »

Any news on this?! Getting Multiwii to send telemetry data to the FrSky (X8R and the rest of the X-series) SmartPort?

This subject is also being discussed at RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1866206&page=2223#post29173822

dreadful

Post by dreadful »

Does anyone have any pictures or schematics on how to get this to work with the latest MultiWii 2.3? I'm using the PARIS v5r3 with FrSky X8R transmitter and the Taranis RC. I believe that I have the proper sketches to make it work. I'm a mechanical designer by trade and I know simple electronics.

haydent

Post by haydent »

i think youll find x8r is not supported by this code, some day it likely will

haydent

Post by haydent »

haydent wrote:
QuadBow wrote:
haydent wrote:it does not convert the logic voltage level

It would be strange if this inverter did not convert the voltage level (Vcc <=> Gnd).
Otherwise it wouldn't happen to work...
Thus, it is most problably not only a cable, but a cable with integrated converter in the middle.

as i said, i have measured it and it does not, and i have also successfully used it both for sbus and x8r s.port communication with mega. here is a photo of its guts:

P1050328_Edit.JPG

P1050329_Edit.JPG

just to clarify something i found out about the simple inverter vs other types, it only works one way, so not suitable for situation where for example you are listening for a sensor id request then send the data for that requests.

haydent

Post by haydent »

hey , i just made host mode, no smart port reciever needed ! multiwii can talk direct with sensors !! :)) good for lrs

new code is in the patches listed here and docs:

https://code.google.com/p/multiwii-osd/ ... SPort_Host

ezio

Post by ezio »

Where can I find the newest implementation ?maybe I will have some time to update the EZ-GUI frsky support.

haydent

Post by haydent »

im not sure, there are various links/attachments back through the pages, even some to github. would be good to know myself. as tempted to implement s.port/x8r support into it. and then it would almost be a complete frsky telemetry library.

Nickman1200

Post by Nickman1200 »

!!!!!! As my tricopter is grounded for the moment its not flight tested yet. BE CAREFUL !!!!!!

Yesterday and today I have worked on adding frsky to EOS GPS mission branch. (and thus will not work on 328p but i can make a version for the current SVN if that is prefered)
To day i got it to compile and EZ-GUI shows frsky data from my TGY-9X radio with a BT bridge.

I included the option to use a soft serial port because I'm an inverter short for the moment but will change to a dedicated serial port on my MultiWii Pro 3.0 Ez later.

Every code in my work is written by others so i "only" put it together.

Greetings goes out to:
QuadBow
disq
MGB
(and to all those who i have borrowed code from without knowing)

Is there any interest to have a look at the code ?

There probably are newer patches here and there i have missed in threads on the forum but together maybe we can add all that is missing ?

!!!!!! As my tricopter is grounded for the moment its not flight tested yet. BE CAREFUL !!!!!!

EDIT:
Nevermind i uploaded it :P
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22122587/Multiwii/MultiWii2_3-navi-b7-frsky.zip

In config.h

/*************************************************************************************************/
  /*****************                                                                 ***************/
  /****************  SECTION  5 - ALTERNATE SETUP                                            *******/
  /*****************                                                                 ***************/
  /*************************************************************************************************/

/******                Serial com speed    *********************************/
  /* This is the speed of the serial interfaces */
  #define SERIAL0_COM_SPEED 115200  // BT
  #define SERIAL1_COM_SPEED 115200 
  #define SERIAL2_COM_SPEED 57600   // GPS
  #define SERIAL3_COM_SPEED 9600    // Telemetry FRSKY

/********************************************************************/
/****                         FrSky Telemetry                    ****/
  #define TELEMETRY_FRSKY
  //#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3
  //#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_BAUD 9600         

#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SOFTSERIAL_PIN 10  // connect FrSky Receiver's Rx sideport to D10 without a ttl inverter
  #define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 9600        // if using softserial, set baudrate here (comment out "TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3" above)

//#define FAS_100  //if commment out, MultiWii vBat voltage will be send instead of FrSky FAS 100 voltage

maik

Post by maik »

Hi,
I just tried the EOSBandi firmware together with the android EZ-GUI using the frysky downlink.
Its works very nice!

Now, I am just asking me, could frysky be used for uplink data too?
E.g. sending a WP from the EZ-GUI up to the copter.

Is this possbile?

Where can I find the lastet FrySky code?

Maik

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

maik wrote:Now, I am just asking me, could frysky be used for uplink data too?
E.g. sending a WP from the EZ-GUI up to the copter.

Frsky provides a two-way solution. One way is used for the transmission of rc command. The second way is used to send the telemetry data back to the remote control. So, there is no way free for other purposes. But it would be possible to send the command "use the current coordinates as a waypoint" in future versions of multiwii once the waypoint navigation will have been integrated. (And if there is one channel left for that command, which could be triggered by a switch or button.)

maik wrote:Where can I find the lastet FrySky code?

Unfortunately, the Frsky telemetry integration has not found its way to the standard multiwii releases. I understood that it could be integrated in the future releases. Until this point in time you can use the code of Nickman1200 or others.

izeman

Post by izeman »

maybe someone can help me :) i've got a 9XR with opentx 2.0.10 (telemetry support added) and a frsky module with a d8r-ii plus transmitter. i waited 3 weeks for the ttl-rs232 converter to arrive and installed it. this is a picture:

IMG_0226.JPG

i plugged GND and 5V on pin1 and pin4 of serial3 on my MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module board. and the other end went into the outer left port of the d8r transmitter (the slot saying GND, RX and TX). i know that i only need transmit data, but adding that one wire or not was not the question.

there is NO data shown in my telemetry screen on the remote. there is some data, but only the voltages which disappear when i remove the copter's battery and the remote shows "no data received". so i guess the hardware mod to show telemetry data seems to work. is there are more proper way to check the basic working of it?

i tried swapping tx/rx on both sides, so i checked all 4 possible combinations, but still no data. suddenly i touched the level shifter chip and almost burnt my fingers. it was f****** hot. how could that be? did i connect anything wrong? please check picture above!

i have read the thread 3 or 4 times now and must say that i really understand 50% of it, especially all those coding stuff. i also read that with softserial you can connect a d-pin directly to the RX pin of the transmitter. what i did, but still the same result.

of course i had to change the config.h part before. i guess this is the important part to look into:

#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY
  //#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3
  //#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_BAUD 9600

#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SOFTSERIAL_PIN 10  // connect FrSky Receiver's Rx sideport to D10 without a ttl inverter
  #define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 9600        // if using softserial, set baudrate here (comment out "TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3" above)

//#define FAS_100  //if commment out, MultiWii vBat voltage will be send instead of FrSky

this was the setup for direct fc to transmitter pin10 connection. for the serial connection it looked:

#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY
  #define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3
  #define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_BAUD 9600

//#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SOFTSERIAL_PIN 10  // connect FrSky Receiver's Rx sideport to D10 without a ttl inverter
  //#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 9600        // if using softserial, set baudrate here (comment out "TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3" above)

//#define FAS_100  //if commment out, MultiWii vBat voltage will be send instead of FrSky

i also realised that this software MultiWii2_3-navi-b7-frsky.zip was not flyable. the copter was absolutely unstable, impossible to fly, and crashed immediately. and i now found the culprit. when i activate SOFTSERIAL the "cycle time" which normally is around 2.300 jumps to 13.000 every 2-3 seconds.

i know there are a lot of questions, but i tried to give all information i have (i'm really new to all this and have flown less than an hour yet ;), so i hope you can work with that and help me.

thanks!

izeman

Post by izeman »

No one here to help? No ideas?

haydent

Post by haydent »

i did read your post but ive not done this myself so held back. i have used the inverters though with frsky s.port and sbus

softserial as you found out will be no good for flying as it is blocking wasting too much cycle time

its possible you have a defective converter, it likely should not get that hot, though i have not used that model

i wondering if you could use a multimeter to test it, should not the RX or TX show the opposite logic voltage to what is supplied on one side ?

izeman

Post by izeman »

haydent wrote:i did read your post but ive not done this myself so held back. i have used the inverters though with frsky s.port and sbus
softserial as you found out will be no good for flying as it is blocking wasting too much cycle time
its possible you have a defective converter, it likely should not get that hot, though i have not used that model
i wondering if you could use a multimeter to test it, should not the RX or TX show the opposite logic voltage to what is supplied on one side ?

thanks for you feedback. any comments are very welcome as it shows me if i'm moving in the right direction. thanks for confirming the "high cpu load" thing. i will not use that any more. i think the converter may be broken as it's almost impossible to connect it wrong. i will test voltage levels on each side.
if this is not working i will try the transistor method. i have all parts here, but thought the level shifter way would be cleaner looking.
any idea how to see if my remote really receives data? any kind of "dry dock" testing? should i use A1 or A2 of the transmitter and feed some voltage there? if it's displayed on the remote than i can check if my 9xr mod works at least. correct?

haydent

Post by haydent »

as a debug in my early dev work i just had an arduino (or flight controller) hooked up with the inverter and output what it read on one serial to the serial screen with text

izeman

Post by izeman »

haydent wrote:as a debug in my early dev work i just had an arduino (or flight controller) hooked up with the inverter and output what it read on one serial to the serial screen with text

so i could connect the RX of the receiver to one TX of the FC - serial#1 or #2. #2 is my gps which is working, so there must be some traffic. but how would i know which value to display on my remote? or how would i check that there is some signal arriving at my remote?

haydent

Post by haydent »

something like this:

void setup() {

Serial.begin(9600);
Serial1.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {

while (Serial1.available() > 0) {

Serial.println(Serial1.read());

}     

delay(12);   

}

izeman

Post by izeman »

i now measured voltages:

on the FC side
GND to RX is 0v
GND to TX is jumping between 1.4v and 3.9v

on the inverter side
GND to RX is 0v
GND to TX is a steady -7.1v

does this sound reasonable? rs232 is -25v to +25v max, but level of +<7v sounds good. but steady?

haydent

Post by haydent »

i would have expected you would see changes to match, if you disconnect FC TX (jumping one) does inverter change ? if you hook FC TX to solid 5v (assuming that is vcc) instead does it change ?

izeman

Post by izeman »

sorry. my mistake. it seems i mixed up some pins. if i now connect the IN PIN on the converter (the one with the arrow pointing inside the circuit and no outside to the connector and where the wires go) to the TX header on the FC the converter gets very hot very fast. i disconnected power instantly. powered up with nothing connected the header on the FC gives: 5V, RX=0, TX=5V, and GND=0V.
i guess the inverter is broken somehow as it should not get hot anyway.

edit:
GND,VCC connected to appropriate solder pads of the converter and TX of FC connected to INPUT pin of level converter makes i burning hot. so i guess it has some short. i will try transistor circuit posted some post ago.
Last edited by izeman on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

haydent

Post by haydent »

sorry i dont follow your test, but it does sound like it has an internal short

izeman

Post by izeman »

haydent wrote:sorry i dont follow your test, but it does sound like it has an internal short

edited my previous post (had some sense changing typos as well). seems you are right.

izeman

Post by izeman »

i now tested with the BC547 circuit and the result is the same. no data shown on my remote.
i tested an ACS758 current sensor and could see the reading change between unarmed and armed (higher current).
but there is no serial telemetry data shown. whatever i choose to display: ALT, SPEED, ACC+, etc ... no data is shown. i check to see that gps has a lock, and ACC is calibrated, so the data is available. just not transmitted.

anything else to change in config.h then those lines? (the softserial ones are commented out)

#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY
#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3
#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_BAUD 9600

Nickman1200

Post by Nickman1200 »

/******                Serial com speed    *********************************/
  /* This is the speed of the serial interfaces */
  #define SERIAL0_COM_SPEED 115200  // BT
  #define SERIAL1_COM_SPEED 115200
  #define SERIAL2_COM_SPEED 57600   // GPS
  #define SERIAL3_COM_SPEED 9600    // Telemetry FRSKY

Also set this to the right speed if you havent already.

izeman

Post by izeman »

Yep. This was all right already. :( Thank you.

haydent

Post by haydent »

maybe check that serial port still works after your problems with the inverter

izeman

Post by izeman »

haydent wrote:maybe check that serial port still works after your problems with the inverter

thought about that as well? maybe assign GPS to serial3 and if it works it should be ok. correct?

haydent

Post by haydent »

thats one way

izeman

Post by izeman »

just wanted to edit my post to confirm that serial3 is still working fine. i assigned gps to serial3, connected my gps to it and got a clean lock shortly after. so the serial port should be fine. that way i could even test TX and RX and stable VCC line.
so what next? i'm really out of ideas. everyone else can make it work but not me?

edit: i ordered 3 more rs3232 converter from 3 different suppliers in china. they are only $1 per piece and i hate when something gets lost in transit. i think it's the cleaner solution then my self made board.
my aio v2 board from HK will arrive this week as well and maybe i'm more lucky with that one. not that i think the board has something to do with it (serial = serial not matter what the board maker is) but there still is some hope.
maybe someone would be so kind to upload a FULL copy of multiwii firmware directory with working config.h. i will upload that and test. i know i can't fly it, but JUST for telemetry testing. that would be very much appreciated. thanks!

SpeedBoy

Post by SpeedBoy »

Have you connected the battery, izeman? Have you done Clean EEPROM? I did it before every firmware uploading.
I mean yesterday i did some tests just using USB connection and everything was working fine except the multiwii telemetry. I have zeros in all ID's and was in a shock, but then just connect the battery to ESCs and it immediately worked.

------------------------------------
And about Taranis. I'm trying to connect Taranis Plus remote controller (1.0.12 firmware) with AIO board from Hobbyking and D8R-XP receiver (it is PLUS version with XP firmware) and ZYX-S S.BUS Connection Cable from hobbyking. So for now i can transfer data normally using strings:
sendDataHead(ID_RPM);
sendDataHead(ID_Temperature2);
sendDataHead(ID_Temperature1);
sendDataHead(ID_Fuel_level);
sendDataHead(ID_GPS_speed_bp);
sendDataHead(ID_Course_bp);

But i don't see Altimeter. Not Baro nor GPS.
So these strings don't work at all:
sendDataHead(ID_GPS_altidute_bp);
sendDataHead(ID_GPS_altidute_ap);
sendDataHead(ID_Altitude_bp);
sendDataHead(ID_Altitude_ap);
I see zero all the time.

I tried just send (1) to ID from 0x00 to 0x4F and discovered that:
sendDataHead(0x36); // for GPS Alt
sendDataHead(0x34); // for Baro Alt
So when i send (1) like this:
sendDataHead(0x36); // for GPS Alt
write_FrSky16(1);
I have 655 at the Taranis Telemetry screen.
And for Baro i see 655.4

For now i switched Alt data to T1/T2 and can see Alt data normaly.
I'm a not a programmer, only basic knowledge. May be somebody can continue this investigation.

izeman

Post by izeman »

SpeedBoy wrote:Have you connected the battery, izeman? Have you done Clean EEPROM? I did it before every firmware uploading.
I mean yesterday i did some tests just using USB connection and everything was working fine except the multiwii telemetry. I have zeros in all ID's and was in a shock, but then just connect the battery to ESCs and it immediately worked.

yes. battery was connected. and i always do clear eeprom with 4096 bytes. it's really strange.
maybe really if someone of you could upload his working and configured multiwii firmware or send it per PM, that could help and sort out some possible errors!

SpeedBoy

Post by SpeedBoy »

Do you have this board?
I have the same if yes.
Have you tried the file multiwii-firmware-telemetry_2.2.zip from this topic? Size is 149649 bytes
Try to change Serial 3 to pin 12 in the file config.h
Use strings:
#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SOFTSERIAL_PIN 12
#define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 9600
Don't forget to remark string #define TELEMETRY_FRSKY_SERIAL 3

And connect only one cable from Rx directly to Pin12 at the board. That's all. Without converter.
I won't send my folder to you because i've made some customization and don't think it will be good idea.

izeman

Post by izeman »

i ordered that board. i'm still waiting for it to come.
what i have right now is this one: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... ouse_.html
i tried the MultiWii2_3-navi-b7-frsky.zip. should i try another one? anyone had success with the one i use?
using SOFTSERIAL made the quad UNFLYABLE. it made my "cycle time" jump to 10k+ every some second so i deactivated it again. i wish i could use that. it's the most simple way to do it. maybe it will work with the AIO v2 board (if it works for you anyway)

SpeedBoy

Post by SpeedBoy »

It is just only for testing telemetry. I don't want to fly on it :)
As i understand you want to try any version just for test if telemetry works or not, am i right?
I tried MultiWii2_3-navi-b7-frsky.zip version. It was not operational at all for me. Try MultiWii_HEXA2.zip
I will reattach zip file where you can change out to pin12
Attachments
multiwii-firmware-telemetry_2.2.zip
(146.14 KiB) Downloaded 590 times

SpeedBoy

Post by SpeedBoy »

BTW, i had different result. With pin12 and with com3. On the taranis o saw different values on some ID's

izeman

Post by izeman »

SpeedBoy wrote:It is just only for testing telemetry. I don't want to fly on it :)
As i understand you want to try any version just for test if telemetry works or not, am i right?

exactly. thanks a lot. i will try and report back :)

SpeedBoy

Post by SpeedBoy »

QuadBow wrote:
haydent wrote:it does not convert the logic voltage level

It would be strange if this inverter did not convert the voltage level (Vcc <=> Gnd).
Otherwise it wouldn't happen to work...
Thus, it is most problably not only a cable, but a cable with integrated converter in the middle.

BTW hobbyking cable inside. I was looking for In and Out on it :)

ZYX-S S.BUS Connection Cable
ZYX-S S.BUS Connection Cable

haydent

Post by haydent »

@speedboy, that hobby king adapter is uni-directional, ie only talks one way, good for sbus or scraping existing data, but in your situation you need one that works both ways, as it needs to listen for prompt from rx for data and then reply with the spoofed sensor data for the rx to pickup and send back to the tx

SpeedBoy

Post by SpeedBoy »

haydent wrote:but in your situation you need one that works both ways

Are you sure? I don't see any information where receiver asks sensors using Tx/Rx pins. May be you are talking about X8R with Smart Port connector? I have D8R-XP. I've read already here about bi-directional converter for X8R and s.port.
Can you please explain if i wrong?

haydent

Post by haydent »

im pretty sure the protocol works the same for both s.port and previous recievers (*except for different sensor id's and serial speed), yes just on one line, rx and tx together, so they can not happen at same time.
so rx syncs the communication by transmitting a sensor id, then listening for response before moving onto next sensor id, if a sensor is connected and it hears its id broadcast, then it responds with its collected data which is recieved by the rx and passed onto tx via telemetry link

ezio

Post by ezio »

Maybe someone can record with realterm ( http://realterm.sourceforge.net) or similar software couple minutes of FrSky telemetry traffic with working GPS?
There is a bug in EZ-GUI in position reporting and I want to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have required receiver to test with.
Bart

izeman

Re:

Post by izeman »

ezio wrote:Maybe someone can record with realterm ( http://realterm.sourceforge.net) or similar software couple minutes of FrSky telemetry traffic with working GPS?
There is a bug in EZ-GUI in position reporting and I want to fix it. Unfortunately I don't have required receiver to test with.
Bart

so you want someone to connect eg a serial2usb bridge to the serial configured in config.h for frsky telemetry and record that traffic? if yes, i can do this. i have working gps, but no telemetry data shown on my remote. maybe this will help me as well, as you can for sure see if the data itself present on serial3 is correct or not. should i send it? you will have to wait 10h as i just started work.

ezio

Post by ezio »

izeman wrote:
ezio wrote:Maybe someone can record with realterm ( http://realterm.sourceforge.net) or similar software couple minutes of FrSky telemetry traffic with working GPS?
Bart

so you want someone to connect eg a serial2usb bridge to the serial configured in config.h for frsky telemetry and record that traffic? if yes, i can do this. i have working gps, but no telemetry data shown on my remote. maybe this will help me as well, as you can for sure see if the data itself present on serial3 is correct or not. should i send it? you will have to wait 10h as i just started work.

Not exactly. I need a data recorded from the frsky transmitter. So you have to connect ie FTDI cable via level converter to the frsky transmitter and then record a data at baud rate 9600.