Real Subchannels - not only low/mid/high

Olaf.J

Real Subchannels - not only low/mid/high

Post by Olaf.J »

Hi, I'm not sure, if already someone has had the following idea (or a similar one) - but if not, perhaps the idea is not too bad ;)

I think, most people have to little channels at their TX/RX - I use 8 channels, but that's too less, if you want to activate/deactive all the things, like stable mode, mag, baro/sonar, arm, headfree, beeper and so on independently from each other. And I also would like to use one of the channels for a height control with a poti - so it would be nice to have more than 1 switch at 1 channel.

So my idea is to use one channel not only for 1 switch but for example for 3 switches (or also 4 switches, if the quality of tx/rx is good enough).
We could create new "subswitches" like SubAux1-1, SubAux1-2, SubAux1-3 on the first channel, SubAux2-1 to SubAux2-3 on the second channel and so on.

If you for example want to use 3 subchannels, there are 8 possible values, that must be detected by the RX:

000 = 1063 (less than 1125)
001 = 1188 (1126-1250)
010 = 1313 (1251-1375)
011 = 1438 (1376-1500)
100 = 1563 (1501-1625)
101 = 1688 (1626-1750)
110 = 1813 (1751-1875)
111 = 1938 (more than 1875)

At the transmitter you could create a "rule" for the channel, so that you add 63 by default, 125, if switch0 is activated, 250 if switch1 is activated and 500 if switch 3 is activated. So you will get the results from the above table that can be used. With the ER9x and alternative firmware, this would be very easy to be configured at the transmitter - and I think the receiver part shouldn't be difficult too. And I could use 6 switches independently with only 2 channels - so I have 2 free channels e.g. for two of the 3 potis for inflight PID- or level-tuning (@Jevermeister: Wouldn't that be a nice idea for your level-tuning?)...

Any comments are welcome :)

KaiK

Re: Real Subchannels - not only low/mid/high

Post by KaiK »

+1

We have to ensure the distance between "Subchannels" is great enough to avoid malefunction (recognice wrong level)...

Olaf.J

Post by Olaf.J »

KaiK wrote:+1

We have to ensure the distance between "Subchannels" is great enough to avoid malefunction (recognice wrong level)...

Right, this could be made configurable - you could select, how many Bits (switches) should be used per Channel. This automatically Sets the bandwith per subchannel.

mbrak

Post by mbrak »

hi

sounds good. but could you explain how eactly you create the sub-channels?
for example my transmitter is a futaba t-10. i use 2 3-way switches and 2 2-way switches at the moment for activating flightmodes and other functions.

how do create a 'rule' for a channel you described? thats not realy clear for me.

could it be possible that the mk-software uses those 'subchannels' too?

Tommie

Post by Tommie »

I am working on a project to transmit arbitrary binary data over a single channel.
I am using a budget remote control and desoldering one of the potentiometers and instead connected the wires to an ATTiny controller that
encodes binary data frames in up/down/neutral movements of this channel: https://github.com/wertarbyte/datensprung

The fun part is that you are not limited to switch states: You can also transmit ASCII data to an LCD/LED display, control the color of an RGB LED etc.

I also patched the receiver part into Multiwii, so it is possible to switch LEDs, ACC, MAG etc. using a few switches and a tiny additional µC at the transmitter:
https://github.com/wertarbyte/multiwii- ... nsprung-fa

A custom transmitter firmware can probably accomodate this easily as well.
I'm also working on a much faster method by using more levels instead of just three, but without any sufficient timing signal on the transmitter, this is error prone.