Convert multiwii to HH Tail gyro for helicopter

cayesa

Convert multiwii to HH Tail gyro for helicopter

Post by cayesa »

Hello:
I'm thinking in this project for a long time ago and i'm testing some improvements, but at this time my knowlegments aren't enougth.

I've to gyro breakboard, one IDG500 and one IDG1215 both dual axis, analog output. First one have 500-110º/sec resolution and second 67º/sec resolution. Also I have one Arduino minipro 168/5v. My idea is simplify the code of this great project to use it in a Gyro with heading hold function to use in the tail of an helicopter. I want use one of these gyros because they are less sensible to vibrations, but they have less resolution also because the use analog pin in arduino with a 8 bits resolution. In the future, maybe good idea to put a adc converter with better resolution, but I want to start with simple components.
I've started eliminating some code from version 1.6 of multiwii to fit it into the 168 atmega because it's impossible with full version. With this code and a WMP conected to arduino, I put the I of YAW over to 0.100 and the heading hold function appears in servo connected to pin 3 with Tri configuration.

First I need so select one of two gyros. I think the lowest resolution will be better but I thing 67º/sec is too low then I preffer to use the IDG500 in low resolution mode at 110º/sec.
The next step is to replace the readings from WMP with the readings from analog gyro and normalize that values to be used in calculating the retation speed. At this point, I've located the lines in the code to replace it with my readings, but I need to modify because the resolution of the WMP is different, but I don't know what's that resolution. Help at this point is needed.

Alexinparis

Re: Convert multiwii to HH Tail gyro for helicopter

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,
The resolution doesn't have to match exactly the one we with WMP.
The GUI is a good hint to find the correct divisor.
As the PID parameters are more or less proportional to the the gyro output sensibility, you should always be able to refine the tuning via the PID.

cayesa

Re: Convert multiwii to HH Tail gyro for helicopter

Post by cayesa »

Thanks a lot Alex.
A simple question: Where can I unactivate the I2C detection?. I've replaced the reading of the YAW giro by the reading of the analog servo but If I don't connect de WMP by I2C, arduino state led is flashing continuosly.
Thanks a lot