gps neo m8n blown

gregd72002

gps neo m8n blown

Post by gregd72002 »

Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect my gps module that has been short-circuited. It was a decent gps (neo m8n) + compass but accidentally I mixed the wires and here I am.

I've replaced the voltage regulator so far but it still gives no sign of life. Normally there should be power LED on but it does not work. When I connect it to the voltage it heats up in the top-left area (1st picture).

Is there any hope for it, what else would it be likely needed to be replaced for a short circuited gps?

Thanks
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Zviki

Post by Zviki »

You probably destroyed voltage regulator (it should be L350). It's a 5 pin element (between connector and gps chip). Or maybe you smoked shield diode (if it's on this board)

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Zviki

Post by Zviki »

Oh, sorry. You already changed voltage regulator...

Zviki

Post by Zviki »

Yep, in the top left corner is a diode. What is written on it? SJ maybe? Also, on the right side of the diode is a little black element with number 5 on it. This is probably the fuse. Check with volt meter how much voltage is on the one side and how much(if any) is on the other side. Same for diode.
BTW, did you replaced voltage regulator with the original one?

gregd72002

Re: gps neo m8n blown

Post by gregd72002 »

Hi, thanks a lot for the help!

On the fuse (element 5) there od 4.9v on one end and 4.8v on the other end.

The diode (element W5?) there is 1v on one end and the other end seems to be not connected (the end next to the resistor/capacitor)
Attachments
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Zviki

Post by Zviki »

It's a zener diode. Change it. https://www.google.si/url?sa=t&source=w ... 7X_kag7YYg

And it's a W2 not W5. Type W2 diode in google and you will find few replacement