Multiwii 2.4 Ublox Neo 6m Setup??

rojowe

Multiwii 2.4 Ublox Neo 6m Setup??

Post by rojowe »

So I've got everything connected correctly, however I have not configured the NEO-6M in U-Center, but I do have access if I need to. My understanding is that the MW code should format the GPS to work during initialization. I'm seeing the compass blink on the MultiWii Config, but I'm not getting any data from the GPS and the green LED on the GPS is not turning on. If I connect the GPS to FTDI and open U-Center, I have connection to 7+ satalites within a minute or two, inside, next to a large window.

Any ideas? Yes, yes, walk outside...but that shouldn't be the factor if I have full signal when connected to FTDI, right?

Thanks in advance

Kbev5709

Re: Multiwii 2.4 Ublox Neo 6m Setup??

Post by Kbev5709 »

What FC are you using? 328P won't run GPS. If your board CAN do GPS is that the board selected in the combined IMU boards section of config.h? If you are using a GPS compatible FC are you running i2c or serial port? Are you enabling the right one in GPS config.h? Is your serial port speed set to at least 57600 in the config.h? Are you setting your GPS baud speed at 57600 in the config.h? Are you uncommenting the //#define_USE_MSP_WP command in the config.h? Are you uncommenting the //#define UBLOX statement in the config.h? Do you have your magnetic declination set to where you are flying in the config.h? After you upload to your FC do you perform an ACC calibration and a magnetometer calibration? (This calibration after an upload must be done before the GPS will work) If you are using an i2c all of this must apply plus you must pick your sensor in the independent sensors section of config.h. I know you said it's wired correctly but is TX going to RX and RX to TX? All things to check with GPS failure to communicate. Notice I did not recommend to walk outside :mrgreen:

rojowe

Post by rojowe »

Thanks for your response, perhaps I should have been clearer.

- Clone Mega 2560
- #define GPS_SERIAL 2
- #define GPS_BAUD 57600
- #define UBLOX , also tried #define NMEA (honestly haven't looked into the differences or which I need to be dealing w/ therefor tried both, same lack of results)
- Mag Declination I left @ ~4* , my location is -10* but I didn't think that would make a difference of more than a few degrees, will correct
- Not using a Mag as it appears my HMC5883 is spitting out off values that don't change with movement, so I disconnected it.
- I did try ACC calibration and MAG calibration (when MAG was connected), ACC works to level the sensor readings, MAG seems like I click the calibrate button in the GUI and nothing happens.
- RX to TX, and TX to RX

* Kbev5709 - well played lol

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

For mag calibration:
After you click the calibrate mag button you have 1 minute to rotate the craft in all three axis's, in other words yaw, pitch, and roll. Make a complete 360 degree rotation in each axis. Set it down pointing north. After a minute is up the compass will swing to north. If this doesn't happen, recheck to make sure you have the right board called out in the Combined IMU Boards section in config.h.
Your GPS needs a mag to function. If your mag is spitting out i2c errors (read in the GUI) you have a bad mag and will not be able to utilize GPS. If it is not giving i2c errors you are most likely not calibrating properly or have the wrong board called. All of this being done right and still no mag action would lead to questions about your power wires and where they are in relation to your mag.
Last edited by Kbev5709 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rojowe

Post by rojowe »

Thank you, you've been very helpful. Looks like its time to do a bit more testing with the MAG sensor.

Any knowledge about Servo Mixing in Multiwii? I started another thread in Gen. Discussion. I've got a V-Tail plane. but for the life of me, cannot figure out how to modify the code to use the rudder servo as an extra elevator, or to mix in V-Tail controls. Seems to be a non existent topic :(

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

I fly a quadcopter so that servo stuff is way out of my realm. Sorry. I can set up a GPS in my sleep though :D