HobbyKing MultiWii 328p burnt

alex.catalano

HobbyKing MultiWii 328p burnt

Post by alex.catalano »

Hallo, I have bought a MultiWii 328p, I have connected it to my pc and it worked. Than I have connected it to my drone and something has burnt... The MCU is powered by a 3a UBEC... Have I made any mistake? Or is the MCU difective?

Kbev5709

Re: HobbyKing MultiWii 328p burnt

Post by Kbev5709 »

Did you see smoke? The amount of amps that your ubec puts out is irrelevant unless it is not enough. Most FCs only draw milli amps I believe so 3 amps is enough to power most any FC out there. Question is did you reverse polarity? Are you using the wrong supply voltage (does your ubec put out something less or more than 5v)? Did you hookup +5VIN to a 3.3VIN terminal? Those are what you need to determine to decide if your FC has smoked. Oh yeah, smoke is a telltale sign that something has smoked.

alex.catalano

Post by alex.catalano »

I didn't reverse polarity, the UBEC put out 5v(it's the Hobby King 20A ESC 3A UBEC). When I connected the MCU to the lipo, the MCU smoke, but only a part of it. The microprocessor works fine, only sensors doesn't work. These are the exats connections I have made (but the violet cable didn't touch anything). In red I circled the bunt part.
Attachments
rps20151124_144922.jpg

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

The one thing I see really wrong in that photo is 4 ESC power supplies all hooked up at once. That is the four white, red, and black wires over there by the jumper. The right way would be to only hook up the signal wire on three of those. You are not supposed to power a FC from more than one source. The part that is circled looks like your magnetometer. The mag is usually located near some centerpoint on the controller just like that one. Not a good sign. The way your FC is attached looks like ferrous phillips head screws. I would use nylon there. If they are aluminum or stainless that would be ok. Ferrous screws will mess with your mag when they are that close to it. They look like a countersunk style to me from above. I would use something else also if they are countersunk although at this point that may be a moot point. Since all your sensors run on the i2c I imagine that the one that is cooked is inhibiting the other two from functioning. Try only enabling the stuff you know that works in your config.h under independent sensors (ie. leave the mag disabled but enable the gyro/acc and baro) and disable the AIO board in the board definitions.

alex.catalano

Post by alex.catalano »

Kbev5709 wrote:The one thing I see really wrong in that photo is 4 ESC power supplies all hooked up at once. That is the four white, red, and black wires over there by the jumper. The right way would be to only hook up the signal wire on three of those. You are not supposed to power a FC from more than one source. The part that is circled looks like your magnetometer. The mag is usually located near some centerpoint on the controller just like that one. Not a good sign. The way your FC is attached looks like ferrous phillips head screws. I would use nylon there. If they are aluminum or stainless that would be ok. Ferrous screws will mess with your mag when they are that close to it. They look like a countersunk style to me from above. I would use something else also if they are countersunk although at this point that may be a moot point. Since all your sensors run on the i2c I imagine that the one that is cooked is inhibiting the other two from functioning. Try only enabling the stuff you know that works in your config.h under independent sensors (ie. leave the mag disabled but enable the gyro/acc and baro) and disable the AIO board in the board definitions.

I connected only one UBEC, infact I have cut the red wire of the other three UBEC. The screws are ferrous one... Probably that's the problem. I'll try to disable the the mag in config.h

alex.catalano

Post by alex.catalano »

I disabled the mag in config.h, but other sensors don't work yet. I tried to disable also the baro, but nothing... Anyway I will buy another FC, but I want to find out where I went wrong

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

alex.catalano wrote:I disabled the mag in config.h, but other sensors don't work yet. I tried to disable also the baro, but nothing... Anyway I will buy another FC, but I want to find out where I went wrong

What you want to do here is disable the board. You want to RE comment this #define HK_MultiWii_328P // Also labeled "Hobbybro" on the back. ITG3205 + BMA180 + BMP085 + NMC5583L

then UN comment these: ITG3205 + BMA180 + BMP085
But after looking at the sensors list the ITG 3205 isn't even on it so it's a good thing you will buy a new board. I would recommend a mega board or something that runs cleanflight or base flight to get the most bang for your buck. That HK 328P is an obsolete board and has very limited memory. I would upgrade.