Arduino pro mini + GY87 10DOF IMU & MPU6050 6DOF IMU

randuino

Arduino pro mini + GY87 10DOF IMU & MPU6050 6DOF IMU

Post by randuino »

Hi to all,

I've been scouring the web for similar problems that i have encountered, unfortunately i could not find any direct hit or similarity to what i have.

I am building a quadcopter basically and i'm now on the process of setting up my flight controller, i chose to setup an Arduino pro mini 5V 16Mhz, connected to Windows 7 PC via FTDI module which works perfectly, I have the multiwii 2.4 running already, and i have 2 IMU on hand, which are GY87 10DOF & MPU6050 6DOF IMUs, ive first try to 10DOF to setup.

First, I set up the config.h I uncomment #define QUADX
then go ahead to board definitions, and i could not find a particular GY87, however thers a GY88 that has similar specs so i uncommented it and saved, cerified and uploaded succesfully.

then i closed Arduino & opened MultiwiiConf, and selected the COMPORT and press the START button, and here go's the problem.
everything is constantly moving haywire even the module is sitting steadily. and I2C errors running continues values.

I've decided to test my 6DOF and again, it has the same problem.
My sensors are new even the arduino/dccduino.
please note that there's is no error message aside from the i2C error numbers and the terrible continues movement on the GUI.

I'm calling for help to anyone here with similar case, and solution. Thanks very much.

QuadBow

Re: Arduino pro mini + GY87 10DOF IMU & MPU6050 6DOF IMU

Post by QuadBow »

randuino wrote:i could not find a particular GY87, however thers a GY88 that has similar specs so i uncommented it and saved, cerified and uploaded succesfully.
That's ok. GY87 and GY88 differ only in the baro sensor (BMP085 / BMP180), but, that should not harm since both are compatible.

randuino wrote:and I2C errors running continues values.
What do you mean by this sentence? Stay the i2c error at a constant level e.g. 12, or are they running up permanently?

randuino

Post by randuino »

Hi QuadBow,

Yes, they are running permanently, positive values then when reaching a certain number it resets to negative then i think just repeats over & over, and the graph shows extreme Low & High, and all the graphics like the Quad on the lower right & Artificial Horizon is always moving haywire, even the sensor is just sitting on my table, and when i move the sensor, it does not follow my motion, its just moving by itself in a crazy manner.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

That means the i2c address of either the MPU6050 or the compass or the barometer is wrong.
Due to your explanation I recommend to start with the MPU6050...

Firstly, make sure that your i2c bus is connected in the right way.

If that does not help, change its i2c address in file sensor.cpp to the other one.

Code: Select all

#if defined(MPU6050)
#if !defined(MPU6050_ADDRESS)
  #define MPU6050_ADDRESS     0x68 // address pin AD0 low (GND), default for FreeIMU v0.4 and InvenSense evaluation board
  //#define MPU6050_ADDRESS     0x69 // address pin AD0 high (VCC)
#endif
If that does not work: ask your dealer for the right i2c address.