Which GPS to buy for a Crius AIOP v2 board?

mxmaniac

Which GPS to buy for a Crius AIOP v2 board?

Post by mxmaniac »

I've always used the CN-06 V2 GPS for previous builds, but I haven't built for a while, and that gps seems outdated. I see a number of options, but its hard to tell which are compatible with multiwii or which is best.

Examples I'm finding in the $17-$25 range are

UBLOX NEO-M8N (this appears to be the newest and most full featured, but is it compatible?)
Crius U-blox NEO-6 V3.1
Crius U-blox NEO-6M V3.1 (possibly the same as above)
Ublox NEO 7M

Also, even of those listed, sometimes the same models are picture a little different, or often have the antenna hanging off rather than attached to the board.

I'm not too picky, I just want something to plug and play with minimal headache, like how the CN-06 V2 was.

Any recommendations?

Arakon

Re: Which GPS to buy for a Crius AIOP v2 board?

Post by Arakon »

They're all compatible. On the software side of things, there's no real difference in data from any of the neo modules.

mxmaniac

Post by mxmaniac »

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the NEO-M8N, since from the limited info I could find, it seems to be better. However I noticed it has 6 wires instead of the usual 4. Can anyone comment if this will work, and if so how to hook it up?

I've been scouring the web but I cannot find a pinout/schematic, nor could I find a single instance of anyone using it with multiwii or an aiop board. Unsure why this info seems so hard to find.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Post a link to the GPS module from which you are talking about. That would help.

If it has 6 wires then it probably has a MAG on-board.

mxmaniac

Post by mxmaniac »

Here is an example link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UBLOX-NEO-M8N-F ... 418ff3275f

From what I can gather, this one is newer and might be more accurate, and I believe can use GPS and Glonass simultaneously. But can't say for sure. Info seems very scarce.

I don't want to be a guinea pig, I just want to get the best performing GPS i can for under $25

Leo

Post by Leo »

Just as I thought. Even says it in the description that is has an on-board MAG "BeStar BN-880 Ublox NEO-M8N GPS Module w/HMC5883L"

You are correct that GPS and Glonass can be run simultaneously.

Connecting it to the Crius AIO Pro board should be easy.

Post back here when you have the GPS with more detailed pictures.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

mxmaniac wrote:However I noticed it has 6 wires instead of the usual 4.
Due to http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=173 and http://www.drotek.fr/shop/en/home/512-ublox-neo-m8-gps-hmc5983-compass.html there is also an I2C interface. However, I haven't found any detailed description as to it.
I assume that the gps is transferred via Rx/Tx and the compass via I2C.
Due to the datasheet http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/u-bloxM8_ReceiverDescriptionProtocolSpec_%28UBX-13003221%29_Public.pdf the Neo8 appears to be compatible to the Neo6.

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

QuadBow wrote:I assume that the gps is transferred via Rx/Tx and the compass via I2C.
Due to the datasheet http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/u-bloxM8_ReceiverDescriptionProtocolSpec_%28UBX-13003221%29_Public.pdf the Neo8 appears to be compatible to the Neo6.

Correct on both accounts.
That BeStar GPS will have horrible compass offsets, however. Sticking the compass under a (magnetic!) metal shield is as close to disabling proper functionality as it gets.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Arakon wrote:That BeStar GPS will have horrible compass offsets, however.
It this your experience or assumption?
Arakon wrote:Sticking the compass under a (magnetic!) metal shield is as close to disabling proper functionality as it gets.
The metal shield could be made of paramagnetic (=not magnetic) metals like aluminium/aluminum.

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

Experience from another forum, where someone bought it for his APM and does have horrible offsets.
The metal shield is magnetic.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

That'a a pity, indeed. The approach to combine GPS and compass and to set them on the top of the copter far away from the motor wiring disturbing the compass as well, is promising. But, in this case there is obviously no benefit. Thus, you still have to use your own compass, the second one seems to be unneccessary.