TX mid point drift

skymike

TX mid point drift

Post by skymike »

Hey guys,
I got a question about setting the mid points on my TX. When I adjust to 1500 then move TX sticks and alow to spring back, they then read 1499 or 1502 depending on the way I pulled the sticks.

Is this caused by a problem with my sticks or is this a normal occurrence?
Would this cause any flight issues such as drifting?

Lecostarius

Re: TX mid point drift

Post by Lecostarius »

I have the same with my TX. And no, it does not cause issues - there is a deadband implemented.

Cheers, Leco

skymike

Post by skymike »

Lecostarius wrote:I have the same with my TX. And no, it does not cause issues - there is a deadband implemented.

Cheers, Leco

Great!!

So I am having a drift problem and I have been trying to trim ACC with stick commands. But so far I have input around 20-30 and still no affect. Any Ideas?

I did calibrate ACC with a bullseye level and it was perfectly level. Reading 0/0/&512
Also balanced motors and props.
FCB is isolates from frame with bulb dampers, and seeing very little vibrations.

Not sure what I can do next? Should I keep inputting ACC trim, using sticks? What's an average for those who have used stick command trimming?

skymike

Post by skymike »

Figured out the issue!!!!

So apparently I was not flying in angle or horizion (level modes) I was still in acro mode trying to trim the ACC. Woops.

Thanks for the help.

skymike

Post by skymike »

I found a dedband code in the multiwii sketch, however it was commented out.

Does this mean the board sees exactly what the GUI is reporting?

So a 1499 count will induce a flight correction?

waltr

Post by waltr »

skymike wrote:I found a dedband code in the multiwii sketch, however it was commented out.

Does this mean the board sees exactly what the GUI is reporting?

So a 1499 count will induce a flight correction?

Correct.

Uncomment the #define deadband and set it to a little more then the 'jitter' in your stick centering.
Built and Re-load the code.

skymike

Post by skymike »

waltr wrote:
Uncomment the #define deadband and set it to a little more then the 'jitter' in your stick centering.
Built and Re-load the code.

I have done this and definitly seems better. However I have noticed the following;

I am operating in acro mode only, no mag, no gps, and no baro. The quad is drifting forward and right. Adjusting the trims on my transmitter makes no correction.

Now the weird part.

When I yaw the quad 180 the drift then is moving quad back and right (so same direction, but quad is now facing 180 degrees the original orientation.)

I thought this could have been caused by wind but on a zero wind day it performed the same.

I did the ACC cal with a bulseye level directly on board so I know that is perfect. Gyro is manually calibrated by me via tx before lift off.

????????????

waltr

Post by waltr »

In ACRO Mode it is the Pilot that must keep the copter level so it doesn't drift.
However, if your sticks are not centered at exactly 1500 (+/-deadband) then the Angle will not hold and will increase. This does not sound like what is happening.

How far from the ground are you hovering? If close then there can be ground effects from prop wash.
How fast does this drift happen? If after a few seconds then this may be due to the pilot not getting the copter Perfectly level. I can now, after flying Acro for a year, get my copters to hold for 5-10 seconds at the most hands off the sticks before they start drifting.
Accelerometer is only used in the self-level modes.
Gyro is cal'ed on boot-up and the copter MUST NOT MOVE during this cal. Manually doing the Gyro cal is a good idea after connecting the battery and sitting the copter down (I also do this).

skymike

Post by skymike »

waltr wrote:In ACRO Mode it is the Pilot that must keep the copter level so it doesn't drift.
However, if your sticks are not centered at exactly 1500 (+/-deadband) then the Angle will not hold and will increase. This does not sound like what is happening.

How far from the ground are you hovering? If close then there can be ground effects from prop wash.
How fast does this drift happen? If after a few seconds then this may be due to the pilot not getting the copter Perfectly level. I can now, after flying Acro for a year, get my copters to hold for 5-10 seconds at the most hands off the sticks before they start drifting.
Accelerometer is only used in the self-level modes.
Gyro is cal'ed on boot-up and the copter MUST NOT MOVE during this cal. Manually doing the Gyro cal is a good idea after connecting the battery and sitting the copter down (I also do this).

I guess I just need to get used to flying in this mode. The self level baro and GPS all work fine so I would say it is me. ;)
I am about 5-8 foot above ground guess I will try a little higher and see how the quad is affected.