GPS Help

joebob85

GPS Help

Post by joebob85 »

Hi all!

Im fairly new to multiwii, however I have had no trouble with all of the setup and running of sensors. (ADXL345, BMP085, HMC5883L, ITG3200) However, i cannot get the GPS code to work. I am running a LS20031 5Hz GPS with MTK 3339 chipset. (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8975). After searching many threads on this forum, i cannot find a solution to my problem. NMEA GPS eabled, Serial 10, 57600 baud. MW is currently running on an Arduino Mega 2560. This is a Senior Project, so we are working with what weve got. I have tested the GPS with a simple read code, and it is finding and outputing data from satelites. When connecting it to the MW coded board with the other sensors, the GPS is still outputing NMEA data, however both WinGui and Configurator are not showing any satelites or location data. Any suggestions? I am completely out of ideas as to why the data cannot be read. Ive tried all of the simple fixes; wire switching, port changes, and such. Am I missing a simple setup procedure?

Any help is appreciated!

Tested on both MW 2.2 and 2.3 - no luck

QuadBow

Re: GPS Help

Post by QuadBow »

joebob85 wrote:NMEA GPS eabled, Serial 10, 57600 baud

Beneath #define NMEA you have to define #define INIT_MTK_GPS, as well.
Serial10 seems to strange since the Mega2560 has "only" 4 serials, serial0...serial3.
57600 is fine, since multiwii tries out all speed possibilities.

So, check GPS_SERIAL and try to swap Rx and Tx pins.

loknar28

GPS Help

Post by loknar28 »

I thought int was just for first initialization and then you are to use NEMA only.

joebob85

Post by joebob85 »

QuadBow thx for the help! I was misinterpreting the pins on the board. I now have it set up with WinGUI and tracking position correctly. However, I cannot figure out how to tell the quad to "start" the route I created and uploaded. Can it be assigned to a channel on the radio?

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

joebob85 wrote:However, I cannot figure out how to tell the quad to "start" the route I created and uploaded.
Waypoint navigation will be supported by Multiwii 2.4, which is still a beta version. My recommendation would be to use multiwii 2.3 in order to become familiar with the copter. Use the simpler gps functions like position hold and return to home in order to search for the best navigation parameters. Once multiwii 2.4 will be released it will be easier to use the new waypoint navigation with an optimally configured copter.

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

I am almost ready to test my gps its all setup and i get a quick lock usually 6 satellites, . what i was going to do is go out initially and test the mags accuracy in holding its heading and then check the altitude hold ability also i may get to log the gps on ezgui to see if its getting accurate results. so my first test is it better to try gps hold or the return to home.... i dont usually fly too far wya anyway .

how quick is the multiwii code to turn off the gps home function does it turn off imediately, i dont want it to get stuck and drift or fly away ?

joebob85

Post by joebob85 »

QuadBow wrote:
joebob85 wrote:However, I cannot figure out how to tell the quad to "start" the route I created and uploaded.
Waypoint navigation will be supported by Multiwii 2.4, which is still a beta version. My recommendation would be to use multiwii 2.3 in order to become familiar with the copter. Use the simpler gps functions like position hold and return to home in order to search for the best navigation parameters. Once multiwii 2.4 will be released it will be easier to use the new waypoint navigation with an optimally configured copter.

Again QuadBow thx for the reply and info.
I was under the impression that WinGUI 2.3 could run waypoint nav flight? Or is it only for first person control wp flight? Im quite confused at this point.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

joebob85 wrote: was under the impression that WinGUI 2.3 could run waypoint nav flight?

There is at least a WinGUI_2.3pre8(b5) version that supports waypoint navigation requiring a special MultiWi2_3-navi-b5-baro_fix version MultiWi2_3-navi-b5-baro_fix as shown here https://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list
Discussion took place here http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3989
Waypoint navigation is being introduced in the official release of multiwii at the forthcoming version 2.4 http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5852&hilit=navigation