Naze32 - Throttle Response

muffy514

Naze32 - Throttle Response

Post by muffy514 »

Just setting up my first quad using the Naze32 Acro and Taranis transmitter.

Unfortunately it seems the motors do not start spinning until I reach 1073 in motor testing, this also effects the throttle response when flying causing about 5-8% of no response on the throttle stick from 0%.

I am at a loss on how to correct this, or even if it is normal.

muffy514

Re: Naze32 - Throttle Response

Post by muffy514 »

I have adjusted the mincommand, min throttle and max throttle to match the simonk flashed ESC's on the quad. Still no luck.

Also the motors seem to spin up independently (not in unison).

muffy514

Post by muffy514 »

Ok so i have corrected the throttle issues by adjusting the following and then calibrating the ESCs;

mincommand 1064
minthrottle 1100
maxthrottle 1860

However I still have issues when testing the motors (without props on a level surface). The motors all spin up at different times and speeds. Is this normal?

waltr

Post by waltr »

What firmware are you running on the Naze32?
Which version?
Is motor_stop enabled?

There is always slight variances in exactly when motor/escs start running.
I never have motor_stop enabled.
Set minthrottle to a little higher than needed to have the motors run.
Then when ARM'ed the motors run reliably.

With props and not in the air then FC is still trying to control the copter but without feedback this does not work so the motors run at different speed.
Go read the MultiWii WIKI, beginner's troubleshooting.

muffy514

Post by muffy514 »

I am running the latest Stable version of firmware pushed from baseflight.

Motor Stop is enabled, and I would prefer to keep that feature as it is.

I have poured through the multiwii wiki and cannot seem to find anything to cover this.

I have adjusted the mincommand, minthrottle and maxthrottle as sugested in wiki.
Calibrated the ESCs correctly.
Swapped motors and ESC's, problem still persists on same assigned motors (i.e. motors assigned as 1 and 4 in baseflight)

I have trimmed out my taranis through the menu (not the trim buttons next to the joysticks) to the point where the first click on the throttle starts to spin one of the motors, also in baseflight when i test the motors the motors spin up in sync. It is only when I spin up the motors with my Taranis that this problem occurs.

waltr

Post by waltr »

when i test the motors the motors spin up in sync. It is only when I spin up the motors with my Taranis that this problem occurs.

If you move the Taranis throttle up a couple more clicks do the motors all run about the same?

How does it actually fly?

muffy514

Post by muffy514 »

Nope the motors run at different speeds.

Does not seem to fly very well at all. veers to a side when taking off, very hard to land. Generally unstable in flight.

muffy514

Post by muffy514 »

So i got a chance to fly it before it got dark and the wind picked up here in Montreal. Walked out to the local park, and ran three batteries through the quad. Still has some issues with the motors not spinning in sync when first engaging the throttle but once it took flight the motors all seem to be spinning at the sames speed and the quad flew quite well.

I think the Power Meters (Smart Meters that transmit strong wireless Signals) next to my spare bedroom may have been causing some interference when testing and flying in my garage.

Overall the quad flew quite well, except for the fact that it was yawing to the right a little bit.

Thanks for the help!

waltr

Post by waltr »

Ok, that's better. At less than idle speed there will be some variation in the motors.

Yaw just needs some trimming, is the Yaw stick value exactly 1500 when centered? If not fix this.
Also ensure that all the motors are exactly square with the frame. If a motor is slightly tilted then this will cause yaw.
Else just trim with the TX trim tab.

In the self-level modes the ACC does normally require a little trimming which is done with the ACC TRIM stick command.