Multiwii GPS

Zeechris

Multiwii GPS

Post by Zeechris »

I recently purchased a Vtail 500 from Lynxmotion...... it has a red multiwii flight control. What would be a good GPS match?

Arakon

Re: Multiwii GPS

Post by Arakon »

There's probably close to a hundred different multiwii boards in existance, "red" isn't going to get you any help. At the very least, post a picture of it.

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

I hope that multiwii board is not a cheap one based upon Promini 328, because such a board will not support the next multiwii software version 2.4 to the most possible extend (no waypoints).

I recommend to everybody, who wants to use GPS, to buy a Mega 2560 based flight controller.

So, the question is more, whether the purchase of the flight controller was already a good match...

Zeechris

Post by Zeechris »

thanks for the info.....it is a 328.... any suggestions on a good Flight control/GPS combo?

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Due to http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5852
    you can still use a 328 without a GPS device
    perhaps you can use a 328 with a GPS device but without navigation
    in no case you can use a 328 with navigation

A state of the art flight controller running multiwii is based upon a MEGA (ATmega2560) processor like Crius AIO with modern sensors onboard.
There are others like Hobbyking's "MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module" but that has older sensors. Maybe someone else can contribute more to this topic.

brewski

Post by brewski »

QuadBow wrote:Due to http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5852
    you can still use a 328 without a GPS device
    perhaps you can use a 328 with a GPS device but without navigation
    in no case you can use a 328 with navigation

A state of the art flight controller running multiwii is based upon a MEGA (ATmega2560) processor like Crius AIO with modern sensors onboard.
There are others like Hobbyking's "MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module" but that has older sensors. Maybe someone else can contribute more to this topic.

When I went from Crius 2.5SE (328P based) which came with my X525 quad kit I decided to go with the FC that was the best available in 8 bit AT2560 & chose the Crius AIOP V2. This FC is also the benchmark for Megapirates so you can run either. It has all the latest sensors & is extremely reliable provided you feed it with a UBec set to 5.5V or APM power module which outputs 5.3V. The reason is that Crius copied APM2.5 voltage protection circuit & if you feed it 5V from ESC it can reset under heavy load due to under voltage.
I have several GPS modules but have found UBlox 6M (with onboard EEProm) highly accurate & can Pos hold to within 1m. I am also a strong advocate of using an external mag (now under $5) mounted well away from interference. You can also get a UBlox 6M with ext mag for $15.
With Crius AIOP V2 just cut two traces on exposed pads to disable onboard mag. APM learned this years ago so this is why this FC is used with Megapirates which is APM branch for non genuine APM boards using different MPU.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

brewski

Post by brewski »

FengShuiDrone wrote:Several choices here: http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/flight ... llers.html
I bought the Pro 2 version and a leah 6 H GPS module. Not sure where I would hook up my outboard (on the GPS module)mag on this board if I were to disable the onboard one. Anyone have info on where to hook up your outboard mag if you cut the two traces on the onboard one???
Notice, the Pro EZ3.0 comes without the mag on the board. Trouble with that unit is you have to spend more to get the wiring harnesses.

The Crius AIOP V2 or 2.1 are the only MW boards to my knowledge that have provision to easily disable onboard Mag. The reason for this is that APM have not installed a Mag onboard after APM2.0 & Crius AIOP is the Megapirates preferred FC running branch of APM.
The ext Mag connects to I2C port & requires some changes to both Config.h & def.h..just search this forum for "ext mag"

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leo

Post by Leo »