Arduino Yun(ATmega32u4/Leonardo) as MWC?

metalangel

Arduino Yun(ATmega32u4/Leonardo) as MWC?

Post by metalangel »

I have seen the ATmega32u4 based MicroWii controller from Hobbyking, so theoretically it would be possible to load Multiwii on it. With the addition of an IMU it should work as a flight controller.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Yun, it is essentially an Arduino Leonardo bridged to a 400MHz MIPS AR9331 (ARM) running Linino(OpenWRT Linux).

So, the main limitation of the MicroWii(ATmega32u4) is its lack of memory. It has room for MultiWii, but not enough for MegaPirate. However the Yun has many features that the commercial MWCs do not. Sketches can be loaded over native WiFi, including compatibility with Android Phones. Code in the sketch can link to python scripts etc on the MicroSD memory via the linux processor. This eliminates the sketch size limitations that even the ATmega2560 has. The linux side also has a USB 2.0 host controller, which should enable the use of standard Linux compatible USB devices(sensors, storage controllers, Camera?, Flutter?, etc). Theoretically it would be possible to record video from a USB camera directly to the MicroSD and access it via a web interface.

How difficult is it to get a standard Arduino Leonardo+IMU running MultiWii? I have a Yun and a BMA250 breakout.

Thoughts?

treym

Re: Arduino Yun(ATmega32u4/Leonardo) as MWC?

Post by treym »

How difficult is it to get a standard Arduino Leonardo+IMU running MultiWii?

as hard as set MCUType=atmega32u4 , just refere to http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/browse/

with Arduino 1.0.1 so you just need to select the Leonardo to use it. It is fully supported by the MultiWii software since the 2.1 or later

belverde

Post by belverde »

Hello,

I am trying something similar with Arduino Yun and IMU 10DOF (Drotek).

I connected my receiver (XR7000S) and I identified

Rx: CH1 - Arduino Yun: pin 8 ==> Roll (Aileron)
Rx: CH3 - Arduino Yun: pin 7 ==> Throttle

But I cannot find Pitch (Elevator) and Yaw (Rudder) on Arduino Yun;
does anyone know the pin-out on Arduino Yun/Leonardo for Quadcopter ?

I am currently using MultiWii 2.3 but Pitch and Yaw are NOT moving at all.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks

GF

PS:
I changed config.h to be adapted to the related hardware, removing the comment on:
#define QUADX
#define DROTEK_10DOF_MPU
#define A32U4ALLPINS

james123

Post by james123 »

Hi I was hoping to do something similar, did you every find the correct pins?
And did you try sending the video back from a web cam, sounded like an awesome idea..