Quad Noob Question - Barometric sensor

deejayspinz

Quad Noob Question - Barometric sensor

Post by deejayspinz »

Hey folks,

Just started out in the world of quads and built my first. Basic components x450 + nanoWii + Qbrain ESC. My question is, why would I want to use a barometric sensor? To allow the quad to hover in a specific spot? If I used one, what has to be setup in MWC? Also, is there any calibration that has to be done once setup? Thx.

enderffx

Re: Quad Noob Question - Barometric sensor

Post by enderffx »

Hi !
The Barometric sensor (aka BARO) helps to use the ALtitude Hold mode.
You can flick a switch on your Tx ant the craft holds altitude.
There are 2 obstacles to overcome:
-1-The sensors are typically sensitive to light (strange, isnt it) and to local pressure changes (wind gusts, prop backwash, ...). So many guides include to put a sort of black foam over the deciding parts of the Baro. Please do that, its pretty dangerous to use otherwise.
Look here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27054388&postcount=1069
Guide is for APM but its the same problem really...

-2- On MultiWii (not on APM) the ALT Hold needs serious PID tuning to work good.
So when first trying it, climb to a good altidute before you "flick the switch" and if the copter goes haywire flick back FAST and put your throttle in hover / middle position !!!!
There are only poor guides on ALT HOLD tuning (if you find a good one, may post it here) and the math behind seems not very good or stable.
But some heroic people get it to +-20cm which is great, so its in there, we just have to get there...somehow...

Greetings,

Ender
Last edited by enderffx on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deejayspinz

Post by deejayspinz »

Thanks for the good tips.

deejayspinz

Post by deejayspinz »

A follow-up question. I have a barometric sensor on order from DX. Can someone clarify the steps I need to go through to enable it and get it working?
I have MWC 2.2 installed and will install the sensor when I get it. Once this is done, what lines need to be un-commented on in the sketch to enable the feature? What about the gui - do I need to re-run it and re-calibrate something? Change a setting?

Thx