Mag integration question...

ed mccarron

Mag integration question...

Post by ed mccarron »

While trying to get my hex set up with one of those el-cheapo, er, lovely hobbyking MWC boards, I'm running into some yaw problems. I know that using the mag heading hold is useless since my power board is barely millimeters from the mag chip.

I plan on separating the two boards, but in the meanwhile, even with the mag option switched off, I still have yaw issues. Sporadically.

So, heres the question.

Does switching the mag off simply disable the heading hold mode, while still integrating the mag readings into the PID loops?

Or, in other words, do the mag readings affect the overall control scheme even with the mag turned off?

scrat

Re: Mag integration question...

Post by scrat »

You don't need to have MAG enabled for heading hold. Just increase I term for Yaw.

ed mccarron

Post by ed mccarron »

I've had the yaw I all over the place. Still yaws right.

I replaced a prop that was questionable (dented), and moved the power board so it was 10 times the distance from the FC that it was. The mag barely twitches when the motors throttle up now.

Still yaws a tick, but much better.

Should get my bluetooth thingy tomorrow and can test a bit easier. :)

Thanks!

Still curious if the mag term is factored into normal control...

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

if mag is not active or not present, then no mag values are used to keep the heading.

ed mccarron

Post by ed mccarron »

Alexinparis wrote:if mag is not active or not present, then no mag values are used to keep the heading.

You'd be the guy to know. :)

Thanks. That sends me chasing another direction.

-Ed

Peter

Post by Peter »

Yaw problems could be due to motors that are not perfectly aligned. Or due to speed controllers that are not well calibrated.

doppler

Post by doppler »

Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3490 I was having similar problems and made a custom mixer to handle it. Works so far and would like to know if it helps for you.

Andrew

ed mccarron

Post by ed mccarron »

I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking I've got a bum motor; one of the NTM motors was pretty wobbly. Taking off two arms and converting the hex to a quad resolved the yaw issue.

I'm recutting the center plates and ordering another motor. I'll report back once it's a hex again.