I²C GPS Board from Drotek not working (flash problem?)

Pretender1988

I²C GPS Board from Drotek not working (flash problem?)

Post by Pretender1988 »

Hi together,
I am trying to get the I²C GPS Board from Drotek to run with my board. But It looks like it will not really working. In the MultiWii conf GUI I get for each output -1 .
So i tryed to get more information with the MiniGPS_v1.7.1 software but there i got nothing! No output and still no software version -.-. Now i think Drotek has fogot to burn a bootloader and flash the software on that board.
Has anyone knollage about that and can help me to verfy that? :?: :?:

Regards Pretender

Wayne

Re: I²C GPS Board from Drotek not working (flash problem?)

Post by Wayne »

I too have a I2C GPS board that I think is DOA.
Mine is a Crius that I got on that ebay. I modified one of my FTDIs to be 3.3v, hook up my GPS module and using MiniGPS I can make the necessary changes. It holds these changes for a couple of hours too. This part I know is working.
When I modify MW2.2 to include I2CGPS I get I2C errors at the same rate no matter if Crius is plugged into Paris V4’s 3.3V I2C or not.
When I use my 3.3V FTDI to try and update Crius I only get ‘out of sync’ errors no matter what board I select and no matter if Crius is plugged in or not.
The red LED flashes when I plug Crius in and when an upload is attempted, I never get the other LEDs to flash. Crius does power the GPS module so I assume that GND and VCC are correct. I have also tried swapping SCL/SDA as well as TX/RX, no joy.
I am watching, any advice you get here that I have not tried already may get Crius pulled out of the junk drawer.

QuadBow

Re: I²C GPS Board from Drotek not working (flash problem?)

Post by QuadBow »

Pretender1988 wrote:Has anyone knowledge about that and can help me to verfy that?

I got the same issue with this board bought from a Chinese dealer. My question to him as to it has never been answered...

Well, in my view the FTDI connectors are faulty or wrongly described.

I overcame the issue by
1. soldering the 6 pins of the ISP adapter to the board
2. compiling the sketch without downloading
3. looking for the hex file (own data files | temp |latest build directory)
4. using an hardware ISP programmer and the related software (AVR Studio, avrdude,...) to burn the hex file onto the atmega
5. have fun

Of course, this way is a not compatible to the Arduino/Multiwii standard and it requires additional hardware (ISP programmer).