MAG turns while flying forward

Meedoosa

MAG turns while flying forward

Post by Meedoosa »

Hey folks,

my Quad based on a AT Mega board is working pretty good and now i upgraded with a MAG and BARO. Both are working fine, when i give no big pitch and roll. When i fly forward with a bigger angle then the mag quad starts to yaw slowly. When i stop the mag corrects the deviation. Multiwii conf all seems to be ok - the MAG is also stable during pitch and roll. do you have an idea to get rid of this behaviour? Thanks a lot and have a safe flight!

Christian
Last edited by Meedoosa on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

NikTheGreek

Re: MAG turns while flying forward

Post by NikTheGreek »

Did you check the orientation of the sensor ?

Meedoosa

Post by Meedoosa »

I think yes and the mag works fine in multiwiiconf

weisseruebe

Post by weisseruebe »

I have a very similar problem. But even in MultiWiiGui, I can see MAG turning a little when I pitch/roll the flightcontroller. During flight, I can see the same problem you describe.

I have the same problem with a Crius SE and a Crius AIO, so I assume the hardware is ok. First, I thought it would be from the current during flight, but the problem still occurs with a naked flightcontrol, only powered by USB.

I have the FC connected to MultiWiiConf. Mag is properly calibrated. Turning the FC while holding it horizontal gives precise readings of the heading.
When the FC is pointing north, I can PITCH it and heading remains absolutely stable. But it varies (10 degress?) when I ROLL it. When the FC is heading East / West, it is the other way around! I can ROLL it while heading is stable, but it varies when PITCHING it!

See the Video at: http://screencast.com/t/iiuw2MUU
It should be pretty clear to see: When the Flightcontrol is pointing N-S, compass heading is much more solid than in E-W-Direction.

I began playing around a little with the Mag/Gyro - Compensation factors, but the effect is always there. It is not much, but it is very visible in flight and sometimes, it makes PH oscillate much more than usual.

I really wonder if I'm especially picky about that and everybody has these little imperfections, or if it is a software problem or a hardware issue.

I tried with final MW 2.1 and with release r1303.

Regards
Andreas