WM+ with ITG3205

shackfu

WM+ with ITG3205

Post by shackfu »

At first: Congrats for this really great project.

I read some posts about support for the ITG3205 is in development.
Will this WM+ be supported?
I tried to solder it to my shield, but the graphics in the Config-Tool went really rollercoasterlike.
In the current version of http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/browse/trunk/%20multiwii/MultiWii.pde there is a define for itg3200.
Is this define meant to support my itg3205 as well?

Many thanks in advance!

dodecopter

Re: WM+ with ITG3205

Post by dodecopter »

hi,

is it that wm+ clone with one "missing"chip and itg3205 ?

that seems to work here (1.6pre), tested on gui only until now....

if it does on a wii, it should do on arduino too....

shackfu

Post by shackfu »

Thats exactly the wmp I meant.

My problem is, that the curves are going above the white area in the gui.
After hitting reset on the arduino the curves are much lower and not so over-sensitive.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

If this chip is based on the ITG3200, it should be very good.
I think the WMP electronics should offer a transparent mapping of signals, whatever the sensors ITG or IDG.

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

Hi, thx to Alex for his great project, also with idea to make this place!
About ITG3205 - it works great in GUI, in beetween a few days I try to fly with this sensor and report how it works in the air :-)
Here is my WMP clone with ITG3205:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mistral

Post by mistral »

Hi;

My problem is, that the curves are going above the white area in the gui.
After hitting reset on the arduino the curves are much lower and not so over-sensitive.

Same problem for me, V1.5 used. Sometime it works fine, sometime it's over sensitive. I don't try to press reset button.
I replace this WM+ by original one for the moment.
Maybe an initialization problem ? Maybe it will be fix in 1.6.

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

There is a problem, such as colleagues report... in my next batch from a supplier, I got several pieces of WMP with the gyro ITG3205 and unfortunately they are "over-sensitive"on each axis - Look at my GUI, if I make a sudden movement then the value for a particular axis gyro reaches a maximum value of 500 (more can not be shown). And here I have a question - what parameters need to change in the code to try to compensate for sensitivity to the nominal level?

Edit: I try to investigate deeply this problem...and I found that such oversensitive is only witch NK attached...standalone WMP works fine...any idea guys?
Attachments
oversensitive3205.jpg
(87.28 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
3205closeup.jpg
(76.94 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

here:

Code: Select all

gyroADC[PITCH]  = - ( ((rawADC_WMP[4]>>2)<<8) + rawADC_WMP[1] );
      gyroADC[ROLL]   = - ( ((rawADC_WMP[5]>>2)<<8) + rawADC_WMP[2] );
      gyroADC[YAW]    = - ( ((rawADC_WMP[3]>>2)<<8) + rawADC_WMP[0] );

you can divide the signal /2 or /3

gyroADC[PITCH]  = - ( ((rawADC_WMP[4]>>2)<<8) + rawADC_WMP[1] )/3;
      gyroADC[ROLL]   = - ( ((rawADC_WMP[5]>>2)<<8) + rawADC_WMP[2] )/3;
      gyroADC[YAW]    = - ( ((rawADC_WMP[3]>>2)<<8) + rawADC_WMP[0] )/3;

but it would be better to understand why it happens with those WMP.

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

THX Alex!

I think, probably our chinese friends ;-) make a some mistake in microcontroller code WMP onboard....I have also properly working WMP with ITG3205...they are marked as ver1 (signed onboard)....these poorly appearancing WMP with ITG3205 are marked as v1B (or something like this - these
WMP boards differs against these good working only with this small mark "B" :-) ) Any other element are the same on each WMP: electronics, PCB layout, everything is the same...
These oversensitive WMPs have "2011 production date sticker" - probably this is the newest batch from manufacturer...

shackfu

Post by shackfu »

I am experiencing the same. Without NK attached and 100khz the values are looking good (3000 cycletime).
I ordered already a BMA020 in order to replace the NK.

Will this problem be solved with the BMA?

spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

shackfu wrote:I am experiencing the same. Without NK attached and 100khz the values are looking good (3000 cycletime).

I'd say that's very likely. Point65 on RCG did a study of accelerometers on Alex's MWC and found the 020 to work much more reliably than the NK. I've got a BMA180 and my loop time is 3850 or so with both enabled in the code. I think it's 4100 with the BMP085 (barometer). It really says something about the quality of the code and the less-than-desirable quality of the NK :)

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

There is no problem with NK....when I attached WMP (with IDG655 gyro) and NK (nevermind which one NK - ADXL335 or another one) everything is fine. This problem seems only with newest ver of WMP (with ITG3205 gyro) attached to every NK. Single, standalone WMP from this new 2011 batch (ITG3205) working very, very best I saw...1,8 ms loop!!!! I mean - WMP(IDG655) works great with NK (ADXL335). The newest WMP (with ITG3205) with PCB ver 1.B works poor (oversensitive) with ANY Nunchuck. I tested this many configurations...

dodecopter

Post by dodecopter »

shackfu wrote:I am experiencing the same. Without NK attached and 100khz the values are looking good (3000 cycletime).

hi,

i am using mp+ itg3205 and bma020, both running on 5V , software 1.6 , there are no problems..

tonight i ll add bmp085 breakout 5V for testing.

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

Hi guys, especially @spagoziak - in this thread we discuss about strange reading from ITG3205 included in WMPclone.... I know that another ACC maybe can be better, we all know about it...here we try to resolve the oversensitive WMP's with this superb gyros...please hold the issue...if not - we do the mess in this small but important bug...
...returning to problem - Alex, your mod to the code works ! If I divide per /3 the GUI appears like normal readings.
regards...

spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

Rurek wrote:Hi guys, especially @spagoziak - in this thread we discuss about strange reading from ITG3205 included in WMPclone.... I know that another ACC maybe can be better, we all know about it...here we try to resolve the oversensitive WMP's with this superb gyros...please hold the issue...if not - we do the mess in this small but important bug...
...returning to problem - Alex, your mod to the code works ! If I divide per /3 the GUI appears like normal readings.
regards...

Ahh gotcha! Good luck!

speto_sk

Post by speto_sk »

dodecopter wrote:

hi,

i am using mp+ itg3205 and bma020, both running on 5V , software 1.6 , there are no problems..

I read that your ITG3205 and ACC BMA020 work fine. I have one question, signal from ITG3205 is devide or not ? Becouse, I have pcb with 3205 and nunchuck, bat when I devide signal from gyro and nunchuck disconnect, wiicopter is still oversensitive.

dodecopter

Post by dodecopter »

speto_sk wrote:
dodecopter wrote:

hi,

I read that your ITG3205 and ACC BMA020 work fine. I have one question, signal from ITG3205 is devide or not ? Becouse, I have pcb with 3205 and nunchuck, bat when I devide signal from gyro and nunchuck disconnect, wiicopter is still oversensitive.

hi,

unfortunately the itg3205-misbehavior happened to my copter now too.
in 20 flights it occured 2 times. after resretting arduino it runs great again.
until now i was not ablle to force that error while connected to GUI

the error was only when switched on, and did not inflight.

its just as mistral posted. i think its an intialize-issue.

for now i ordered genuine wmp now, and will go back to clone-lottery, when there is a solution for that problem...
genuine wmp is just 20$ incl. shipping (dealxtreme).
thats the same price as clone-buying for me. i bought 2 clone for 10$ each, and one is unusable due it has itg3205.
buying genuine wmp is cheaper at the end, saves work and time and has less risk of damage something!

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
I just want to share my expirience:
For me downscale solution does not working 100% correct. With slow motion everything looks perfect, bu then I started to move WM+ fast, it almost looks like it has overflow issue. The graph suddenly goes to the opposite direction. So if I strt shaking sensor from side-to side fast, instead of having "waves" around zero, grap pretty much stays at +500 with really short drops to -500. Does anybody have the same issue?

PS:
Have somebody tried to cut SDA and SCL wires from PCB and connect them directly to the Arduino?

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
Yesterday I have connected ITG3205 directly to the arduino and looks like it is working correctly (bypassing WMP). It is actually not difficult. The advantages are:

1) Full 16bit resolution
2) Shorter cycle time
3) I can use WMP voltage regulator for other sensor.

If somebody interested, I can post details of this mod.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

yes please.
Pleasse post your info how to connect directly.
Thanks, Hamburger

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi,

are all ITG3205 faulty and need the fix in the code?

I do have one whre the board and chip are labeled as follows (if I read the microscope correctly)

IN&PA-V1.6. <---- no "B" here, just a trailing dot
The chip is ITG3205 and further readings are
Q2f028-G2
EL 1039 J

Does this WMP need correction in code?
Thanks, Hamburger

speto_sk

Post by speto_sk »

ziss_dm wrote:Hi,
Yesterday I have connected ITG3205 directly to the arduino and looks like it is working correctly (bypassing WMP). It is actually not difficult. The advantages are:

1) Full 16bit resolution
2) Shorter cycle time
3) I can use WMP voltage regulator for other sensor.

If somebody interested, I can post details of this mod.

This is good news, then you can please to share the information about connection or what you change in code ?

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

@ziss_dm - yes yes please!!! Maybe it is revolutionary way to use this very good (the best for now) gyro in their native, full resolution, without desoldering/reflowing this small piece of sand ;-) And also the cheapest way -$40 from sparkfun BOB seems to be too expensive but clone WMP about few bucks sounds good ;)

@Hamburger - I have a few pieces of this WMPs (batch from 2010, without "B" mark) and these sensors works great, standalone or in connection with NK. But there is no perspective to get another batch with these date of manufacturing because we have now 2011 ;)

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Rurek wrote:@Hamburger - I have a few pieces of this WMPs (batch from 2010, without "B" mark) and these sensors works great, standalone or in connection with NK. But there is no perspective to get another batch with these date of manufacturing because we have now 2011 ;)

Rurek,
thanks for clarification.
Hamburger

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
I'll try to explain how I did this mod:

Hardware:
1) It is good idea to download ITG-3200 datasheet, for pin reference and Axis orientation: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sens ... 0-01.4.pdf
2) Find SDA/SCL pins on the ITG3205 and follow the traces. The should end up with i2c pullup resistors and go futher to the MCU
3) Cut traces to the MCU
4) Solder wires to the pullup resistors
5) Connect SDA/SCL to the arduino.

Please refere to the picture:

Additionaly you can get +2.8v to power-up other sensors (or nunchack) (3rd wire on the picture)

Software:
1) Disable internal i2c pullups (we are using pullups on WMP)

//#define INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS

2) Enable ITG-3200 gyro support

#define ITG3200

3) Test :)
4) It may be needed to ajust sensor orientation. You can do it in the sketch, or just rotate board. This is my ajustments (my WMP was already mounted on the shield)

gyroADC[ROLL]  = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[0]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[1]);
  gyroADC[PITCH] = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[2]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[3]);
  gyroADC[YAW]   = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[4]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[5]);

My cycle time ater this mod - quite stable 1200. Additionally I have managed to connect Nunchack directly to the i2c (we cannot use bypass mode any more) and make it work in V1_pre7. I have posted patch here:
Direct connection of NUNCHACK

Regards,
ziss_dm

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

It's incredible easy way to do this revolutionary mods !!!!! Thanks a lot! No more "crazy WMPs" with this mod!, and also for NK, these, for clear - more complicated (because a lot of new code) modifications, if will work, it will be most wanted, important and needed by everyone modification who use "classical, native" WMP+NK conf . BIG THANKS!

Edit: I have one important question - what about 5V TTL level (comming from Arduino) versus ITG3200 3,3V lower level? In your mod I2C lines are connected directly with no logic level converter...

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,

Whouah ! It is a real improvement in the low cost side !
It would allow anyone with a cheap clone to benefit from the ITG3200 perf, and the mod is not so complicated.
This mod + a direct NK connection is a real good thing

ziss_dm wrote:Hi,
I'll try to explain how I did this mod:

Hardware:
1) It is good idea to download ITG-3200 datasheet, for pin reference and Axis orientation: http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sens ... 0-01.4.pdf
2) Find SDA/SCL pins on the ITG3205 and follow the traces. The should end up with i2c pullup resistors and go futher to the MCU
3) Cut traces to the MCU
4) Solder wires to the pullup resistors
5) Connect SDA/SCL to the arduino.

Please refere to the picture:

Additionaly you can get +2.8v to power-up other sensors (or nunchack) (3rd wire on the picture)

Software:
1) Disable internal i2c pullups (we are using pullups on WMP)

//#define INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS

2) Enable ITG-3200 gyro support

#define ITG3200

3) Test :)
4) It may be needed to ajust sensor orientation. You can do it in the sketch, or just rotate board. This is my ajustments (my WMP was already mounted on the shield)

gyroADC[ROLL]  = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[0]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[1]);
  gyroADC[PITCH] = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[2]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[3]);
  gyroADC[YAW]   = - ((rawADC_ITG3200[4]<<8) | rawADC_ITG3200[5]);

My cycle time ater this mod - quite stable 1200. Additionally I have managed to connect Nunchack directly to the i2c (we cannot use bypass mode any more) and make it work in V1_pre7. I have posted patch here:
Direct connection of NUNCHACK

Regards,
ziss_dm

mistral

Post by mistral »

I try the ziss_dm mod with WMP V1.6 ITG 3205. Work fine but (their is always "but" !!) on quick movements the gyro's signal goes on the wrong side :

invert.jpg

I try to divide like alex said on ITG3200 sketch, same result.
I use fr3d 5v-3,3v LLC, I try disable/enable pull up resistor, same result.

The problem occur on all 3 axis in only one side by axis (upper side of graphic). I try to fly with, slow fly ok, but quick fly or windy condition, my tri makes unwanted flips !!

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

ziss_dm,

This is GREAT NEWS, thank you. It was rumored that the ITG3205 was an OEM version of the ITG3200, this is direct evidence to this. Thanks again,

speto_sk

Post by speto_sk »

Hello ZISS_DM, i don't understand "Direct connection of NUNCHACK", because when I connect NK status LED flash. Status stop flah only when I disabled NK in software. This patch should fix the connection I2C and NK :?:

speto_sk

Post by speto_sk »

Sorry ZISS_DM my STATUS led stop flashing when I calibrate via GUI. THNX for your patch for NK.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

mistral wrote:I try the ziss_dm mod with WMP V1.6 ITG 3205. Work fine but (their is always "but" !!) on quick movements the gyro's signal goes on the wrong side :

I try to divide like alex said on ITG3200 sketch, same result.
I use fr3d 5v-3,3v LLC, I try disable/enable pull up resistor, same result.

The problem occur on all 3 axis in only one side by axis (upper side of graphic). I try to fly with, slow fly ok, but quick fly or windy condition, my tri makes unwanted flips !!

I have just tested mine WMP, and looks like it is doing the same - on fast movements graph going to the wrong direction. But I have sparkfun 6DOF with real ITG3200. I connected it and did the same test. It is doing the same thing:
ITG3200.JPG

Next, I decided to test with this example: http://www.varesano.net/blog/fabio/home ... processing (you need to change address: #define GYRO_ADDR 0x68). And response seems to be normal even on the fast movements. So, I think this is side-effect of the fact that GUI updating just couple times per second and maybe due filtering. Maybe Alex can explain better..

Regards,
ziss_dm

mistral

Post by mistral »

ziss_dm wrote:So, I think this is side-effect of the fact that GUI updating just couple times per second and maybe due filtering. Maybe Alex can explain better..
ziss_dm

This is not only GUI problem, on my tri, it's easy to test with yaw servo. On fast movements servo also goes one to other side, like GUI. And in "aggressive" flights, my tri makes some unwanted flips.

ziss_dm wrote:I have sparkfun 6DOF with real ITG3200. I connected it and did the same test. It is doing the same thing

:( I've just ordered "real" ITG3200".

I hope that Alex can have a look to this problem ...

Fab.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

I have posted results of my investigation and patch here:
1_prebis7: ITG3200 driver: Overflow issue

Regards,
ziss_dm

mistral

Post by mistral »

Thank you ziss_dm !! I've patched my V1.6, work fine, not test in flight for now.

I've just change gyro direction for pitch and roll because they were inverted :

gyroADC[ROLL]  = - (GYRO_buff.Data.X / 5 / 4);
  gyroADC[PITCH] = - (GYRO_buff.Data.Y / 5 / 4);
  gyroADC[YAW]   = - (GYRO_buff.Data.Z / 5 / 4);

I hope your mod will be included in next release.

Fab.

shackfu

Post by shackfu »

Heres another ITG3205-WMP layout and the corresponding SCL+SDA Points:
ITG3205_WMP_NONCUT2.jpg

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

hello, ziss_dm!
Please take a look on picture (i love M$ Paint :lol: )
Do I truly understand your idea of connections? Can I connect these 3 things directly with only wires , without any other elements (of course disabling internal pull-ups of arduino)? thanks
Attachments
conections ziss_dim.JPG

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
Rurek: Looks allright. I would probably supply power not from pin 12, but from VCC pin on arduino (currently it is not possible properly reset i2c devices, code implemented only for WMP)

Regards,
ziss_dm

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

ziss_dm - what does mean "currently it is not possible properly reset i2c devices, code implemented only for WMP" ? Is your modified code (for WMP with ITG3205 and also overlow bug issue AND new code for NK) doesn't support D12 pin fast reset in case of frozen I2C bus? It is better to have this nice feature invented by Alex....

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

The only device that needs to be reseted in case of frozen bus is the WMP.
About the Nunchuk in direct connection, I don't know.

I've never seen frozen bus with other I2C devices.
So probably no need to power it via D12

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

OK, I get your point....I always think about gyro as a "WMP gyro" ...but in this case, this is only "WMP shield for ITG3205 gyro :lol: " And this is only standalone sensor on piece of paper with epoxy :D
The same about Nunchuck. Now I'm clear. But it will be something wrong to attach "ITG shielded ;-) to D12? What will be better?

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

I think the Voltage stability of VCC is better than V D12.
So you can still power it via D12, no problem, but in this case it's probably better to power it via VCC.

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

After a further, detailed studies in which the WMP is included ITG3205 (oversensitive), it turned out that the Alex's amendment related to the divisor parameters (I give / 4 and is very good) does not resolve by the end of a new problem. This is yet another bug in the WMP, you see - the rapid turnover gyro, 90 degrees per 0.5 sec, visualization GUI is not responding properly, there is no response to the lean. And this is just the negative values (seen on GUI) ​​for pitch and roll or lean to the left or to the rear. As if followed an overflow again ... Is there a remedy, what must be done in code? Alex or ziss_dm - what do you think?

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,
I have spent day trying to solve this issue using code workarounds, but was not able to find solution. Looks like WMP firmaware has mistake in code which converts 16bit signed values from the ITG3205 to the WMP's 14bit unsigned. That is why I decided to connect ITG3205 directly to the arduino.

Regards,
ziss_dm

juanvivo

Post by juanvivo »

hi all!

I have tried connecting my wm + and my nunchuck and I can not work the pileup. The wm + works correctly, but the nunchuck is not detected. Can you tell me if I do something wrong?

a multiwiiconf capture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUW0OmmcqI

Last edited by juanvivo on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Can you also attach your SKETCH?

Regards

juanvivo

Post by juanvivo »

Excuse my poor english...

the sketch? is this the sketch?:

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Arduono. ode file.. :)

juanvivo

Post by juanvivo »

ah! ok, sorry...

is the 1.6 version. I only active this:

/* I2C gyroscope */
#define ITG3200
Attachments
MultiWii_1_6.zip
(19.17 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

To be able to use nunchack, you would have to apply patch from here Direct connection of NUNCHACK

Regards,
ziss_dm