3DR Radio 433 MHz on MultiWii

jonek

3DR Radio 433 MHz on MultiWii

Post by jonek »

Hi,

I want to connect a 3D robotics radio kit to my MultiWii. The ground station is a Linux PC connected to the other 3DR radio via USB.

Kit: https://store.diydrones.com/3DR_RadioTe ... 3dr433.htm
Board: http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-Pro-Mini-1 ... z-16mm-PCB

Has anybody done this before? How do you connect the radio's pins to the Arduino?

Thanks, Jonek.

Fried_Onion

Re: 3DR Radio 433 MHz on MultiWii

Post by Fried_Onion »

I had a quick look and i think its just a serial link, the same as a xbee which people have made the software to be able to control MWC with.

jy0933

Post by jy0933 »

you gotta use mega2560board... for this.. but it seems the latest dev common-lized all the ports.. so all serial can be connected(pnp) for any serial devices..

jonek

Post by jonek »

Hi, I made some experiments with the 3D robotics radio set. The physical connection is straight forward. But when using MultiWiiConf with the connection, some packets seem to get lost. Though I tried to change the baud rate of MultiiWii and MultiWiiConf from 115200 to 57600 but then MultiWiiConf does not work reliable anymore. I can see the sensor graphs as before but the "read" button does not fetch the PID and switch settings anymore (only in very very few cases). Either if I use an FTDI cable instead of the 3D robotics radio, MultiWiiConf does not seem to work any better at 57600 baud.

What data rate does the usual telemetry data stream require?
Is it possible to define somehow which data is transmitted and which is not? I am only interested in the roll, pitch and compass readings as well as some stick movements and switch positions. Maybe reducing the amount of data transmitted could help.

Is anybody able to describe the characteristics of the default telemetry data stream?
- How much data is transmitted?
- Are there any idle periods?
- What is the frequency in which sensor readings are transmitted?

Thanks for your help,
Jonek.

capt

Post by capt »

My APC220's ran great on 57600 with no drops, I say ran because I seem to have lost one somewhere recently.
I would suspect the 3dr settings are where you should look.
Have you tried the wingui? it seems to run smoother.

jonek

Post by jonek »

capt wrote:My APC220's ran great on 57600 with no drops, I say ran because I seem to have lost one somewhere recently.
I would suspect the 3dr settings are where you should look.

As I wrote in my last post, I experience lost/broken data on the 57600 baud connection between MultiWii and MultiWiiConf independent of the physical connection. (tested with FTDI cable and with 3DR Radio)
How did you change to 57600, capt?
Can you check if 57600 works for you with MultiWii, MultiWiiConf and an FTDI cable, capt?
I had to:
  1. Changed to

Code: Select all

#define SERIAL_COM_SPEED 57600
    in config.h of MultiWii code and deploy.
  2. Changed to

Code: Select all

g_serial = new Serial(this, portPos, 57600);
    in MultiWiiConf_2_1.pde
  3. Rebuild MultiWiiConf.
capt wrote:Have you tried the wingui? it seems to run smoother.

No, I use Linux.

capt

Post by capt »

That is where I changed the code. The win GUI has a drop down box for port speed so I don't remember changing the config java GUI speed.
I can test 57.6k on cable but it will be few days as I am in a hotel room out of town.

juanquy

Post by juanquy »

Hi guys:
Its possible to connect a APC220 to a CRIUS Multiwii SE V2 for telemetry ?

thanks in advance
JC

bejo52

Post by bejo52 »

Hi all,

I just assembled a similar configuration as jonek.
As there are a Crius all in one pro V2.0 board and a RCTimer Radio telemetry system base on 3DR Radio system with MiltiWii 2.1
And I make the same experience as jonek. Especially there are no switch settings (flight modes). All other items seem to work.
Has anyone newer ideas how to solve this problem?

Joerg

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

Use the 3dradio config utility (3DRRadio.exe). Switch off mavlink and op-resend (on BOTH devices). Leave baud at 115200 but decrease "air speed" to 56000. Mine works nicely. Be aware the devices can connect only when both have the same settings, and 3dradio config is crappy.

alexia

Post by alexia »

Good news.but it will be great if with can connect it on smartphone with usb host to have a great range.

bejo52

Post by bejo52 »

Hi Plüschi,
thank you for the hint.
I changed the settings as suggested and tried different air speeds (all on both devices) but nothing changed.
There is still no flight mode matrix :-(

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

Works here.

http://youtu.be/QtoseLPpTM4

However there is quite a delay.

riahut.com

Post by riahut.com »

Following advise above I've made it working but it seriously slow! All settings are delayed by 1 sec..... very choppy... WTH ? How to fix this ?

Update:
Apparently MultiWiiWinGui works way better then MultiWiiConf, much more responsive but still about 200ms behind

Steve_In_Brussels

Post by Steve_In_Brussels »

I've got mine working on an AOIP running MW2.2
Had to program the 3DR Radios to have the baudrate I wanted. I used 115200 for the MWii and computer connection, with 96k for the airspeed (3DR to 3DR) baudrate. I made an adapter for the AOIP addon board Xbee shield and picked up the 5V elsewhere (only 3.3V available there).
I have a bluetooth to APC220 bridge for my other multicopter. That let's me get super long range with EZ-GUI on my phone. Will convert to work with the 3DR Radio.
NO changes were necessary to the MW software with those 3DR baudrates! In fact, I can run two telemetry connections in parallel in fact (tried with EZ-GUI and normal bluetooth a laptop running 3DR radio and MinGUI).
Thanks to those who made this all possible!!!!

i3dm

Post by i3dm »

Steve_In_Brussels wrote:I've got mine working on an AOIP running MW2.2
Had to program the 3DR Radios to have the baudrate I wanted. I used 115200 for the MWii and computer connection, with 96k for the airspeed (3DR to 3DR) baudrate. I made an adapter for the AOIP addon board Xbee shield and picked up the 5V elsewhere (only 3.3V available there).
I have a bluetooth to APC220 bridge for my other multicopter. That let's me get super long range with EZ-GUI on my phone. Will convert to work with the 3DR Radio.
NO changes were necessary to the MW software with those 3DR baudrates! In fact, I can run two telemetry connections in parallel in fact (tried with EZ-GUI and normal bluetooth a laptop running 3DR radio and MinGUI).
Thanks to those who made this all possible!!!!

Steve,
Can you please provide some details on the process?
how did you program the 3DR's etc?