HobbyKing MultiWii SE v2.0 FC. (I am a newbie to MultiWii)

laasmooi

Post by laasmooi »

Hi all,

As I said, I am a newbie to MultiWii AND Arduino. Not really to multicopters and FC's but I used other software. Hope some of you can help me putting me on the right track.
I have the HobbyKing MultiWii SE v2.0 FC up and running and see the functions of the board in the MultiWiiConf_ 2_1 software. Moving the sticks and AUX1 is visible on the screen of my pc. The upper limits are too low, anyway of the THR and AUX1. Motors are running to slow on full throttle and no reaction on the AUX1 switch. So, in the meantime I learned that I have to make changes in the software and upload it to the FC. NOW I HAVE THREE QUESTIONS:
QUESTION 1. Is there a possibility to save (download to my pc) the original software coming with the HK MultiWii 2.0 FC? I ask this because I am not sure if I can upload the right software to the FC and end up with a non-functioning FC.
QUESTION 2. Arduino.
What board do I have to choose? There are 7 boards mensioned with an ATmega 328 and 22 boards in total within the Arduino 1.0.1 software. I am confused and do not know what to choose.
QUESTION 3. The MultiWii 2.1 software. I think the HK MultiWii SE v2.0 FC is close to the Crius SE but not all the components are identical.
The Magnetometer HMC5883L and Barometer BMP085 are identical but the Crius uses a ITG3205 TRIPLE AXIS GYRO and a BMA180 ACCELEROMETER while the HK FC uses a MPU6050 6 axis gyro/accelerometer with Motion Processing Unit.
Within config.h a CRIUS_SE is defined but no HK board at all. Under "ïndependant sensors" I see the same MPU6050 used in the HK FC //#define MPU6050 //combo + ACC) but the comment says /* leave it commented if you already checked a specific board above */. SO WHAT TO DO? ANYONE? Thanks!!!

bill516

Re: HobbyKing MultiWii SE v2.0 FC. (I am a newbie to MultiWi

Post by bill516 »

I'll have a go at answering your questions but whether the answers right I wont be sure of.

Q1. I really dont know if you can d/l the hk firmware to pc, having a look at the unit at HK it would appear to use the multiwii firmware so flashing to the original should just be a case of flashing v2.0 to the board to restore it to the default.

Q2 Basically the boards are the same in the sense that they all operate the same way but they are a bit like cars the bigger ones have more things as built in. The pro mini has 3.3v or 5v option but the 3.3v runs at a slower speed, but it does mean that if you connect anything that runs at 3.3v you will have no problems. The 5v board runs at twice the speed of the 3.3v but it only supplies 5v out. so if you have a 3.3v component you will need to use 3.3v reg to connect to any 3.3v add on you fit, you may need to fit a logic level convertor as well to be able to use your add on. As you go up the boards they start to include such things as built usb, 3.3 reg, additional outputs and more flash memory.

Q3 As you do not have a Crius board then you have to enable the individual sensors. You only uncheck one of those boards if you have one of those boards, un-checking one and not having one will mean it wont work no matter how close a match it is.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Hi and wecome to the Mwii World...

Answers.
Q1: Now it's not possible

Q2: PorMini (5v 16Mhz) w ATmega328 will be fine.

Q3: There is no defines for this board in MWii yet.
It's easy to add.

You need to add a new board to def.h
Paste this together with the other board def's.

Code: Select all

#if defined(HK_MultiWii_SE_V2 ) 
  #define MPU6050
  #define HMC5883
  #define BMP085
  #define ACC_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {accADC[ROLL]  = -X; accADC[PITCH] = -Y; accADC[YAW]  =  Z;}
  #define GYRO_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z){gyroADC[ROLL] = Y; gyroADC[PITCH] = -X; gyroADC[YAW] = -Z;}
  #define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL]  = X; magADC[PITCH]  = Y; magADC[YAW]   = -Z;}
  #define MPU6050_EN_I2C_BYPASS // MAG connected to the AUX I2C bus of MPU6050
  #undef INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS
#endif

You need to check the orientation follow the instructions here Sensors directins
Change direction of sensors if needed in the def.
And please share the correct orientations so we can add it to the project.

You also need to add this to config.h .

#define HK_MultiWii_SE_V2  // with MPU6050 + HMC5883L + BMP085   Need to be confirmed

God luck

/PatrikE

laasmooi

Post by laasmooi »

That's quick!

I added your data to def.h and to config.h as you said.
I will upload the file to the FC a bit later (other things to do at the moment) and I will inform you all here about my progress.
NEW QUESTION: I added in config.h #define HK_MultiWii_SE_V2 // with MPU6050 + HMC5883L + BMP085 Need to be confirmed.
"Need to be confirmed" raises the question if I'm supposed to upload the file somewhere to(at?) the MultiWii community or what?

Thank you very very much PatrikE (and bill516), you are a great help! Hope I can contribute to this forum soon.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

It's enough if you confirm the orientation and function in this thread.
Then a Developer can add it to the project. :)

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

You can download the original firmware as a .hex file using AvrDude program. That is what arduino software uses to upload new firmware then "download" it again to verify. Search the Arduino forum for exact command option to use. It's a good idea to save the original firmware as you mentioned.

laasmooi

Post by laasmooi »

OK PatrikE, the results:

TILT the MULTI to the RIGHT (left side up):
MAG_ROLL, ACC_ROLL and GYRO_ROLL goes up --- (OK!)
MAG_Z and ACC_Z goes down --- (NO MAG_Z, ACC_Z OK!)

TILT the MULTI forward (tail up):
MAG_PITCH, ACC_PITCH and GYRO_PITCH goes up --- (MAG_PITCH goes down, ACC_PITCH OK! and GYRO_PITCH OK!)
MAG_Z and ACC_Z goes down --- (NO MAG_Z, ACC_Z OK!)
Rotating the copter clockwise (YAW):
GYRO_YAW goes up --- (OK!)

The copter stays level:
MAG_Z is positive ; ACC_Z is positive --- (NO MAG_Z, ACC_Z OK!)

Result:
In general I do not see any MAG_Z value in MultiWiiConF 2_1 (I am missing something?)

In
#if defined(HK_MultiWii_SE_V2)
#define MPU6050
#define HMC5883
#define BMP085
#define ACC_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {accADC[ROLL] = -X; accADC[PITCH] = -Y; accADC[YAW] = Z;}
#define GYRO_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z){gyroADC[ROLL] = Y; gyroADC[PITCH] = -X; gyroADC[YAW] = -Z;}
#define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL] = X; magADC[PITCH] = Y; magADC[YAW] = -Z;}
#endif

I had to change line
#define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL] = X; magADC[PITCH] = Y; magADC[YAW] = -Z;}
in
#define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL] = X; magADC[PITCH] = -Y; magADC[YAW] = -Z;}
Now also MAG_PITCH goes up.

Thanks again.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Then the correct defines should look like this?

#define MPU6050
  #define HMC5883
  #define BMP085
  #define ACC_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {accADC[ROLL]  = -X; accADC[PITCH] = -Y; accADC[YAW]  =  Z;}
  #define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL] = X; magADC[PITCH] = -Y; magADC[YAW] = -Z;}
#endif

If it's correct i can add it to _shared

/Patrik

laasmooi

Post by laasmooi »

Yes, that's the correct code.

Laas

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Committed to _shared

laasmooi

Post by laasmooi »

Now, after calibrating the acc, gyros and mag, I see in the GUI that the compass is indicating 180 deg wrong. North in the real world is South in the GUI.
This has anything to do with the MAG_ORIENTATION in the defines, c.q. maybe I misinterpreted the results? Or do I have to adjust a parameter elsewhere in the software?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Check the orientation again.
It should show true heading.

laasmooi

Post by laasmooi »

I did the orientation again.

MAG_PITCH, ACC_PITCH and GYRO_PITCH goes up --- (MAG_PITCH goes DOWN, ACC_PITCH and GYRO_PITCH go UP)
MAG_Z and ACC_Z goes down --- (NO MAG_Z, ACC_Z goes DOWN)

Rotating the copter clockwise (YAW):
GYRO_YAW goes up --- (GYRO_YAW goes UP)

The copter stays level:
MAG_Z is positive ; ACC_Z is positive --- (NO MAG_Z, ACC_Z is POS)

So the only thing what goes wrong is in
"Tilt the MULTI forward (tail up)"
MAG_PITCH should go up but goes down.

Yesterday I told you
should be

but obviously I was wrong! Sorry about that.

I changed the line

back to "your original"

and now, doing the orientation again, it shows in

MAG_PITCH, ACC_PITCH and GYRO_PITCH goes up (MAG_PITCH, ACC_PITCH and GYRO_PITCH all go UP)

All other settings are still OK.

So your original was -and still is- the right one.
My excuses for bothering you (and probably others) with my stupidity.
Btw, now the compass shows true heading.

Thanks again!

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Fixed the orientation in _shared. ;)

heatfire

Post by heatfire »

Just want to thank for this addition.
Working fine for me with the same board, using the files from _shared.

laasmooi

Post by laasmooi »

Where can I find _shared?

heatfire

Post by heatfire »

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

PatrikE wrote:Hi and wecome to the Mwii World...

#define MPU6050
  #define HMC5883
  #define BMP085
  #define MAG_ORIENTATION(X, Y, Z) {magADC[ROLL]  = X; magADC[PITCH]  = Y; magADC[YAW]   = -Z;}
#endif

Thanks PatrikE! I'm curious: Where did you find the information about MPU6050_EN_I2C_BYPASS and INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS ? Is there an actual datasheet somewhere?

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I used the defs from crius aio who have almost same sensors.
Only different Baro and a Mega processor.
Just changed baro in the board def.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

PatrikE wrote:I used the defs from crius aio who have almost same sensors.
Only different Baro and a Mega processor.
Just changed baro in the board def.

Ah, that explains it then. I was looking at the config from CRIUS_SE. Thanks.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

PatrikE wrote:

It looks like the version that's committed to _shared has magADC[PITCH] = Y (positive), and not -Y (negative). Which is the correct setting? I guess that MAG_ORIENTATION is responsible for interpreting the analog input on magADC, but I'm not sure how to check if this setting is correct. What would be the symptoms if this setting is not correct?

AgusSantoso

Post by AgusSantoso »

help me sir, I'm also a newbie to this flight controller, right now i find out that i can't arm the MultiWii,
can you tell me the stick combination to arm this FC? and also which program must i compile?
I'm affraid maybe there's something wrong with the program..

i use the program from this website
http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list

i download the MultiWii_2_0 and i've added the list program fro mr Patrike,

thank's for your help sir.

xoxota

Post by xoxota »

AgusSantoso wrote:help me sir, I'm also a newbie to this flight controller, right now i find out that i can't arm the MultiWii,
can you tell me the stick combination to arm this FC? and also which program must i compile?

You can grab the Stick combos here (You may need to right-click on the "View Raw File" link and save to desktop). 99% of the time, if you can't arm the motors using the stick combos, it's because the travel on your TX throttle and/or yaw channels is not sufficient. If possible, set these to the maximum (positive and negative to 125% in most cases).

AgusSantoso

Post by AgusSantoso »

xoxota wrote:
AgusSantoso wrote:help me sir, I'm also a newbie to this flight controller, right now i find out that i can't arm the MultiWii,

You can grab the Stick combos here (You may need to right-click on the "View Raw File" link and save to desktop). 99% of the time, if you can't arm the motors using the stick combos, it's because the travel on your TX throttle and/or yaw channels is not sufficient. If possible, set these to the maximum (positive and negative to 125% in most cases).

i've followed the instruction inside that pdf, but i still can't arm the FC :(
i use ESC tunigy plush 30A, inside the program i see the minimum throttle value, for the minimum i use 1150, is there anything wrong with that value?
can you tell me what is the sign if my FC has been armed? maybe there's a sign from LED or anything else.
thank you so much xoxota for your reply :D

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

you can see armed state in the gui - changes from red to green background.
Get version 2.1, setup in config.h for your copter (enable your choice of stick combo for arming) install on fc and use the gui that comes with it - much more people have same setup and could possibly help - no one wants to support an outdated version.

AgusSantoso

Post by AgusSantoso »

Hamburger wrote:you can see armed state in the gui - changes from red to green background.
Get version 2.1, setup in config.h for your copter (enable your choice of stick combo for arming) install on fc and use the gui that comes with it - much more people have same setup and could possibly help - no one wants to support an outdated version.

ok, thank you so much sir for your information, it help me so much.