Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

arin

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Post by arin »

You should try the following tutorial.
http://bellcode.wordpress.com/2012/01/0 ... unication/

If you BT works with PC, then it is in fine state.. So just need to configure it correctly using software.

pcb prototype assembly
Last edited by arin on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

I struggled with this for several days, but got it working in end. Here's what I did:

Make sure the bluetooth module is unpaired--so unpair your phone/laptop from it so it's not bound to any bluetooth radios. The BT module won't interact with you on the serial port whatsoever if it's paired with something, even if there is no active bluetooth connection between the two.

You need to change the baud rate on the BT radio to match what the MWC board is sending out (which is 115200). To do this, you'll need some sort of FTDI interface to talk to it. Sparkfun has this one that works well for the job. I used this one.

I used a breadboard to make the connections to the radio because I had one laying around. You can get them at radioshack, too. Kinda spendy if you're just doing this one thing, though. You might be better off rigging up some old JST servo pins or something.

I've looked through every guide on the internet for how to configure the thing, and this is the best one, I think. Below are the relevant chunks from the guide, for easy reading.

Connecting the BT to your computer via an FTDI USB Serial Port

Connect the FTDI to the bluetooth module like this:

Use some kind of terminal application to manage the connection. I used Putty. You could use others like Hyperterminal, advanced serial port terminal, the serial monitor out of the arduino.exe compiler...

Open putty and choose the serial branch of the options window, down at the bottom. Match your settings like this.

Your COM port might be different from mine (COM1 in this picture). To figure out what COM port your FTDI cable/unit is plugged into, click on your windows start button, right click on computer, and choose manage. Once the computer management window opens up, click on "device manager", then expand out the "ports" tree. You'll see something about a USB serial port--this is your FTDI thing.

Sending commands to the BT module

It's best not to enter characters directly into the putty screen, so I hear. "AT" worked ok for me, but I copy/pasted the longer ones from notepad into the putty screen just for good luck. Here are the commands you'll want to paste into the window; they are case sensitive.

AT
This verifies that you're able to interact with the BT unit. If all is well, you'll see "OK" as a response.

AT+NAMEnameyourbtmodulehere
You can change the name you'll see when you're scanning for BT devices with your phone/computer. By default, it's Linvor. You'll get "OKsetname" as a response.

AT+BAUD8
This sets the BAUD rate of the module's serial side to 115,200 bps, which is what our MWC runs on. You'll get "OK115200" as a response.

That's it--no other settings need to be changed. I'm sure you could fiddle with it further, but that's a different topic :) You can disconnect it from your FTDI cable/board and connect it to the MWC board now.

Connecting to MWC

I use a Crius SE board, but I'd bet this is pretty similar for whatever you're using, since almost all of our stuff has a serial port on board somewhere. This bluetooth radio is basically a wireless FTDI cable, so just connect the BT unit onto the same pins your FTDI cable went when you were tuning your PIDs or pushing code to the arduino. Double check your work before applying power!!

I found i could connect mine via either the FTDI or UART rows on the Crius. RX from one side goes to TX on other side. GND goes to GND, VCC goes to VCC. Once you have this connected, you should be able to power up the MWC and if all goes well, you'll see your bluetooth mod flashing a red LED. Now you can pair it with your phone/computer. The PIN for pairing is usually "1234".

Download one of the two MWC apps from Google Play (for android) or grab the PC version of one of the MWC GUIs (google 'em) and make them connect in whatever way they do. My droid app chirped a little tune and everything was connected, easy as that. I use MW-WinGUI.

Newquadandtri

Post by Newquadandtri »

Any app that will work with the 2.2 firmware yet?

Action

Post by Action »

I just received a bluetooth module to and am waiting on several other parts to come in for my project. The flight control board that I will be using is the HK multiwii 328p and I will be connecting the bluetooth module to this for telemetry and altering settings. I dont have a FTDI USB serial port adapter yet, do I need to order one or will I be able to use the FTDI on the multiwii board to use the AT commands? The reason I ask this is because the flight control board has a FTDI usb built in, so if this can be utilized it will save me a few dollars.

deno6031

Post by deno6031 »

i have a multiwii crius board running on multiwii 2.3. connected this module:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... rch=blueto

i got it working, it is connecting to my laptop and my brothers xperia miro flawlessly, but i couldn't bring it to connect with my htc desire sv phone, what could be the problem? is it not working with bluetooth 4.0 phones?