Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Nosepo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Hello guys, this module its compatible with us copters. There are two androids App with works with the MultiWii system.

http://wbb.multiwii.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=248
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18050473&postcount=1


Great configuration tutorial from Berkely
http://wbb.multiwii.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133&start=50#p1515


only cost $10.21with shipping fee.

Image
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluetooth-rf-transceiver-module-rs232-w-backplane-enable-and-state-pin-1.html
Last edited by Nosepo on Tue May 24, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nosepo
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:36 pm

yes, the module works together with MultiWii and a computer with BT.

But where do you get the smartphone software from?

Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Nosepo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Thanks Hamburguer for the reply.

I dont know, im a really inutil :cry: ... but im a engineer people work believer.... In fact there one rcgroups user who did a java little app with multiwii monitor in blackberry phone..

Can you explain me how can do work the bt conection with the Gui in PC??
Nosepo
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Nosepo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:30 am

Nosepo
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:02 am

Nosepo wrote:Thanks Hamburguer for the reply.

Can you explain me how can do work the bt conection with the Gui in PC??


attach BT module to MultiWii (power and serial RX,TX)
have BT in computer (inbuilt or usb-dongle)
start pairing (only once - make permanent on computer)
start gui
select BT-related device
wait for connection to finish (static led on BT-module
click start in gui
use gui
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:02 am

Nosepo wrote:Take a look....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8mlekQzIQE


do you have any more info on this?
link to the author/the software?

Thanks, Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby kiliam » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I ordered one of these to try it in my quad.
But doesn't it need a logic level converter for tx and rx? I think those are 5v.
kiliam
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 pm

@Hamburger, I tried to set up the BT module but couldn't get it to work with MultiWii configuration tool. After I add the BT module on my computer, it creates two new COM ports (Example: port 12, 13) on my computer. But I found that I can communicate only over the first port (port 12) when I test it using a serial monitor program, the second port seems to be non-responsive. When I start the MultiWii configuratoion tool, it conly recognizes the second port (port 12), but not port 11. So I am unable to connect to multwii via the serial BT module. Did you have similar problem? Any possible solution?

Thanks in advance.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am

Miniquad,
miniquad wrote:@Hamburger, I tried to set up the BT module but couldn't get it to work with MultiWii configuration tool. After I add the BT module on my computer, it creates two new COM ports (Example: port 12, 13) on my computer. But I found that I can communicate only over the first port (port 12) when I test it using a serial monitor program, the second port seems to be non-responsive. When I start the MultiWii configuratoion tool, it conly recognizes the second port (port 12), but not port 11. So I am unable to connect to multwii via the serial BT module.

that sounds like a windows related problem to me. Cannot help you there, I have Mac and *nix.

1 so you attach BT module to arduino,
2 on computer with other BT (usb, inbuilt, ...) you create new connection , that finds the BT module and creates two com ports

sounds good.
3 you can talk to via arduino serial console to the arduino over BT, so your BT "bridge" is setup fine and working.

4 it created com ports 12 and 13, now in MultiWii GUI you find com ports 11 and 12 ??

I do not understand, but maybe a windows experienced user can help you.
good luck, Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby noobee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:49 am

are you guys powering the board with 5v from the arduino? i thought the datasheet says 3.3v operation..
noobee
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby thebgrian » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:02 am

miniquad wrote:@Hamburger, I tried to set up the BT module but couldn't get it to work with MultiWii configuration tool. After I add the BT module on my computer, it creates two new COM ports (Example: port 12, 13) on my computer. But I found that I can communicate only over the first port (port 12) when I test it using a serial monitor program, the second port seems to be non-responsive. When I start the MultiWii configuratoion tool, it conly recognizes the second port (port 12), but not port 11. So I am unable to connect to multwii via the serial BT module. Did you have similar problem? Any possible solution?

Thanks in advance.


Hi, miniquad

I have the same problem. Tested the unit with two PCs and using a terminal emulator I was able to connect to the two ports (that were created after the drivers install) and one of them was working. When tried the MultiWii GUI the only port accessible was the non working one. Don't know why the module creates two ports, I thought one is for configuring, but couldn't make it work for that either. Why is the MultiWii GUI not recognizing the port?
I use a 5V to 3.3V voltage regulator to power the module, but I don't have a level converter for RX and TX and it works fine with the MAX232 I use to get it to work with the serial port of one of the test PCs. Hopefully the Arduino will tolerate the same levels, but first I would like to get the MultiWii GUI to see the port.
thebgrian
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:05 am

@Hamburger: I meant to say the Configurator GUI only detects port 13, but not port 12

@noobee: I am using 3.3v regulator to power up the board and resistors to do the level conversion.

@thebgrian: Yes I am stuck as you as well for the moment. I looked at some of the documents of the BT module and it is supposed to create two ports, and both are supposed to be bi-directional.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Nosepo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm

Nosepo
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:13 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby nenno » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi there...

I have Bluetooth running with my MultiWiiCopter and my PC. I can connect the MultiWiiConfig-Tool with my WiiCopter over Bluetooth.
This is very usefull when you setting up PID on the WiiCopter.

1.:
you need a Bluetooth-Modul with a converter.
I use the BTM-222 Modul
http://cgi.ebay.de/Bluetooth-Modul-SPP-UART-class-1-BTM-222-100m-/140529938001?pt=Wissenschaftliche_Ger%C3%A4te&hash=item20b83cae51
with this :
http://robotrack.org/include.php?path=article&contentid=279
2.:
you have to setup the Bluetooth-Modul with some AT-Commands:
To edit the parameters of the BTM-222, must be a serial connect to the PC via a RS232-TTL converter.
Somethink like this: USB2.0 to RS232 TTL Converter Module PL2303
http://cgi.ebay.de/USB2-0-to-RS232-TTL-Converter-Module-PL2303-4pcs-cable-/270728792008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f08b187c8
!!! DO NOT connect teh Modul directly to the COM port. This will destroy the module.!!!

It is NOT possible to edit the parameters via Bluetooth.

Use a Terminalprogram (HyperTerminal)
set the Terminalprogram to:
19200 Baud
8 Bit
no Parity
Stopbits:1
Flow: hardware

That are the AT-Commands for the BTM-222: (maybe other Modules have other AT-Commands)
ATL5 (115200 Baud - you have to set the Terminalprogram to 115200 Baud after that - reconnect)
ATR1 (Device is Slave)
ATN=Name (optional)
ATP=1234 PIN (default=1234, optional)
ATQ1 (after that the Modul answers nomore)
ATE0 (deactivate ECHO)

3.:
you need the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack (for Windows). The MultiWiiConfig-Tool only works with this Bluetooth-Stack.

here is a very useful link:
http://mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/BTM-222?highlight=%28btm%29|%28222%29
Last edited by nenno on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nenno
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:33 am

Thank you very much for your helpful tips @nenno! As soon as I downloaded the Toshiba BT stack and installed it, everything worked perfectly fine. :)
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby nenno » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:37 pm

miniquad wrote:Thank you very much for your helpful tips @nenno! As soon as I downloaded the Toshiba BT stack and installed it, everything worked perfectly fine. :)


No problem...
What's very importend when you have a Bluetooth-Connection:

You have to setup the Modul that it "dosnt talk" from itself.

AT-Commands for the BTM-222:
ATQ1 (after that the Modul answers nomore)
ATE0 (deactivate ECHO)


When u dosnt disable "ECHO" and "answer" it can happen that the modul writes "rubbish" to the arduino. That can cause crashes!!!
nenno
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby kiliam » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:55 am

Can someone post a picture or drawing of their connection to the bluetooth?
Thanks
kiliam
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi kiliam, I have the HC-05 version and I use the schematic at this link:
http://www.pial.net/post/Using-the-HC-0 ... oller.aspx
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby kiliam » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:50 am

Thank you for the link. From what i see we only need to power it with 3.3v (i use duemilanove so i have 3.3v out) and use a resistor in tx, and a pullup resistor in rx right?
By the way i have a cable i made to talk with my fonera from com port to a max232, can i use it to configure this? I think not because of higher voltage...
kiliam
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby shackfu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:17 pm

I have got a working BTM-222 with robotrack-pcb.

Is there any Android-compatible software, which can change f.e. the PID-settings of my MultiWiiCopter?
That would be awesome on the flying field!
shackfu
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:43 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:35 pm

@kiliam, there are two resistors on the rx line, one series and one pullup which works like a voltage divider to pull the voltage down to around 2.8~3.0 volt range, because the rx line will be receiving data signals from the tx pin of arduino, which is running at 5.0 volt. You can always use the 3.3v out of pro-mini to power the module. Also you can use your existing RS232 cable to configure the module once you have the protection resistors in place as shown in the schematic.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby kiliam » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:47 am

Thank you for your quick reply but before i saw it i used the duemilanove to power the bluetooth and the max232 chip with 3.3v and putted a wire from PIO11 with a 10k resitor to 3.3v and using hercules program i managed to change the settings... But now i cant find it. And before i did...
Tomorrow i will try to connect to it to serial again.
But thanks for your link, avoid me from waiting for a llc.


Edit: my laptop see it now, my phone dont, dont know why. I will try to add the resistors tomorrow for connecting it to arduino.
By the way, the code going to arduino tx(1) and rx(2), for lcd for instance does not affect the blutooth module?
kiliam
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby copterrichie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:06 pm

For anyone that has the BT without the baseboard, here is a place to get them. Great stuff if you want to use the BT with 5 volts.

http://www.emartee.com/product/41981/Sm ... 0Baseboard
copterrichie
 
Posts: 2261
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:42 pm

I have the Goodluckbuy version, not sure if its the HC04, 05 or 06 version...

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluet ... rs232.html

I dont have the appropiate resistors on hand for the Voltage Divider connection, but I do have a few SFE logic level converters.

I am figuring that one of these should be enough for the level conversion, but I am unsure whether or not the Reset line should have the 10K/0.1uF circuit outlined here:

http://www.pial.net/image.axd?picture=2 ... rBoard.png

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed...

Jussi
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:49 pm

420RcPilot wrote:I have the Goodluckbuy version, not sure if its the HC04, 05 or 06 version...
...
Any help or suggestions would be welcomed...

Jussi,
what is the name by which the module identifies itself? That may give a clue as to the version.
Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:20 pm

I cant even get it to connect to any of my computers....

3.3V and GND should be enough to power up the module and make it discoverable, right?
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 pm

420RcPilot wrote:I cant even get it to connect to any of my computers....

3.3V and GND should be enough to power up the module and make it discoverable, right?


should be, but I am not sure since you mention it. I think when I tired this once it did not work. Don't know the reason though, could have been my faulty overall setup at that time. But I am positive it does not need to be configured correctly nor requires data input over serial to be discoverable.

Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:37 pm

420RcPilot wrote:I have the Goodluckbuy version, not sure if its the HC04, 05 or 06 version...

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluet ... rs232.html

I dont have the appropiate resistors on hand for the Voltage Divider connection, but I do have a few SFE logic level converters.

I am figuring that one of these should be enough for the level conversion, but I am unsure whether or not the Reset line should have the 10K/0.1uF circuit outlined here:

http://www.pial.net/image.axd?picture=2 ... rBoard.png

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed...

Jussi


That 10K/0.1uf on the reset line is to do a automatic reset on power up and later keep it in active mode. Cutting off the 0.1uf will not do a auto reset on power up, which is not necessarily needed, but just to be safe. You can always do a manual reset.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Hamburger, Miniquad...

I cant get the module to be found by any of my computers. Do I need to make a reset upon powerup to make it discoverable.

I would like to add pads for a cheap BT module on the next revision of my shield. Can anyone help me with a confirmed working schematic for the integration of these modules - then I will add it to next version of promini and Mega shields....

Thanks

jussi
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:30 am

420RcPilot wrote:Hamburger, Miniquad...

I cant get the module to be found by any of my computers. Do I need to make a reset upon powerup to make it discoverable.

NO
I would like to add pads for a cheap BT module on the next revision of my shield. Can anyone help me with a confirmed working schematic for the integration of these modules - then I will add it to next version of promini and Mega shields....


Jussi,
all the cheap modules I own support
+ one LED+R combination - pin 24 (pio1)
+ TXD,RXD pins 1,2 ( I always have to try which way round to connect to the tx,rx arduino pins, sorry.)
+ Vin 3.3V pin 12 (for the modules without shield I have always powered from the 5V arduino output with one diode.)
+gnd pin 13
runs right from power up as can be seen by blinking led.
LED turns to static on, when connection from computer is established.

IIRC pressing the arduino reset does not reset the bt module in any way.

My jussi-board is not assembled yet but I will give feedback asap.

And yes, I think having BT available on the board is the way to go; just keep in mind it needs to be disconnected for using the usb link to the computer. (in theory it must be possible to do programming the arduino via BT also, but you will have to press the reset button at the correct moment - I never succeded with this so far, because the arduino app establishes the bt connection just prior to sending and I could not find the correct half-second (?) to press the arduino reset button)

update I have soldered a 4 pin connector to all my setups to which I can directly connect my BT modules (with a diode) or the BT shields. In order to be able to do this, the 4 pins should be +5V, GND, tx,rx - not sure about the sequence of the last two. I would love to find a 4 pin header for this on future jussi boards.

Hope that helps

Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:57 pm

I have banged away @ a new version of the promini shield that (among other things), has a footprint and passives for hooking up these cheap BT modules....

Need to get a few things straight....

I am assuming that like normally, RX connects to TX and Vice versa for the Arduino-> BT connection. Can someone pls check and confirm?

Is a jumper to disconnect 3.3V from the BT module enough to disconnect/disable the module for FDTI programming.?

Is the LED on PIO1 necessary in your opinion?

I the schematic outlined in Pial´s blog there is a 10K-> jumper-> 3v3 connection on Pin 34 (PIO11). What is this for...do we need it?

Here is what I got so far. I would appreciate if someone compared this shcematic to a working setup!
BT_Sch.png
(11.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Thanks

Jussi
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby copterrichie » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:02 pm

IMO, getting one of the baseboards is well worth the money.

http://www.emartee.com/product/41981/Sm ... 0Baseboard
copterrichie
 
Posts: 2261
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:40 am

420RcPilot wrote:I have banged away @ a new version of the promini shield that (among other things), has a footprint and passives for hooking up these cheap BT modules....

Need to get a few things straight....

I am assuming that like normally, RX connects to TX and Vice versa for the Arduino-> BT connection. Can someone pls check and confirm?

Is a jumper to disconnect 3.3V from the BT module enough to disconnect/disable the module for FDTI programming.?

Is the LED on PIO1 necessary in your opinion?

I the schematic outlined in Pial´s blog there is a 10K-> jumper-> 3v3 connection on Pin 34 (PIO11). What is this for...do we need it?

Here is what I got so far. I would appreciate if someone compared this shcematic to a working setup!
BT_Sch.png

Thanks

Jussi


The 3v3 connection on Pin 34 is to enable AT command to configure the BT module. When the BT module starts with Pin 34 high, the module runs on AT command receive mode and you can send AT commands to modify settings of the BT module. But make sure the BT module you have has the same firmware as this. Because I have seen another version of this module with older version firmware with a little bit of different pin layouts for the LED pins and AT command enable pin. This perticular module support both master and slave mode.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks,Miniquad

Can you confirm the connections of the serials rx->tx and tx->rx

Are you saying that the modules will only have differences as to AT enable and Led pins? That would mean that TX/RX and power connections are the same for all these modules? If that is so the ppl with older modules can just make a jumper to enable AT command recieve! I can live with that!

Thanks

Jussi
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:38 pm

420RcPilot wrote:Can you confirm the connections of the serials rx->tx and tx->rx

Are you saying that the modules will only have differences as to AT enable and Led pins? That would mean that TX/RX and power connections are the same for all these modules? If that is so the ppl with older modules can just make a jumper to enable AT command recieve! I can live with that!


Jussi,

sorry to chime in here, but

yes, +3.3V, gnd, rx, tx are on the same pins on all versions I have laid my hands on (4 at the moment).
LED support differs - 1 or 2 LEDs on different pins depending on version,
program pin to enter AT mode upon power up - some versions require this, others do not.

Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:52 pm

@Jussi, Hamburger is absolutely right about the tx,rx,3v3 and Gnd pins. And yes arduino rx should be connected to BT module tx and arduino tx should be connected to BT module rx.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Hamburger, Miniquad

Thanks for confirming this. My second module showed up today, so I will try and see if can breathe some life into that....

The shields will be ordered tonight and should be available in 12 business days....

One last question: Can a normal SFE logic level converter be used instead of the voltage divider solution?

Jussi
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:51 pm

420RcPilot wrote:Hamburger, Miniquad

One last question: Can a normal SFE logic level converter be used instead of the voltage divider solution?

Jussi


I think that is most certainly possible.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 pm

A little progress....

Module number 2 shows up on both my computers....

But I am not having much luck with HyperTerminal after building the voltage divider circuit....Anyone got a better alternative?

I have the reset line components in and the PIO11 -> 10k -> 3.3V installed on a breadboard.

I am using a basic sparkfun FDTI. It has an option to run at 3.3v instead. If I do this, can I just then make serial connection to the module without the voltage divider...?

Thanks

Jussi
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby ziss_dm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:09 pm

420RcPilot wrote:Hamburger, Miniquad

Thanks for confirming this. My second module showed up today, so I will try and see if can breathe some life into that....

The shields will be ordered tonight and should be available in 12 business days....

One last question: Can a normal SFE logic level converter be used instead of the voltage divider solution?

Jussi


You cannot use "TX" channels as they are designed for "open drain" drivers. And "RX" channels on SFE LLC are just voltage dividers. :)

regards,
ziss_dm
ziss_dm
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:26 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 am

420RcPilot wrote:A little progress....

Module number 2 shows up on both my computers....

But I am not having much luck with HyperTerminal after building the voltage divider circuit....Anyone got a better alternative?

I have the reset line components in and the PIO11 -> 10k -> 3.3V installed on a breadboard.

I am using a basic sparkfun FDTI. It has an option to run at 3.3v instead. If I do this, can I just then make serial connection to the module without the voltage divider...?

Thanks

Jussi


If the FTDI board is running at 3.3v, you should be able to connect tx/rx lines directly. But do make sure the voltage on the tx/rx lines on the FTDI board is at that level with a multimeter just to be safe..
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby dpackham » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:22 pm

does anyone have a working example of a sketch that can be uploaded to a Arduino that will configure this BT module from the code? I cant seem to get it to respond to the AT commands and just need to config it.

Ideas?
dpackham
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby miniquad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:24 pm

dpackham wrote:does anyone have a working example of a sketch that can be uploaded to a Arduino that will configure this BT module from the code? I cant seem to get it to respond to the AT commands and just need to config it.

Ideas?


Dpackham, the version of this module I have has one pin that needs to be set high on power up inorder to set the module in AT command receive mode. If you have the same version (usually the newer ones sold on ebay or elsewhere with MX written on top of the controller chip). Once the module starts up in AT command mode, connect to the module using your FTDI/similar usb/serial module at baud rate set to 38400kbps. You will then be able to configure the module using AT commands. To test if the module is in AT mode, type "AT" and hit enter in your terminal software (assuming your software is attaching CR and LF) and the module should respond "OK". I used the following commands to change the name of the device and baud rate:

AT+NAME=SOME_NAME

AT+ UART=115200,0,0 (buad rate,stop bit, parity)

You can check the data sheet posted @ http://www.pial.net/post/Using-the-HC-0 ... oller.aspx, for details on AT commands.
miniquad
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby dpackham » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:11 pm

i cant really pull up one leg. I have a shield that has this chip soldered onto it already like this.

http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=307

so I need to get at it programatically sending a +++ command to get it into command mode.
Attachments
BluetoothArduinoshieldv2_3.jpg
dpackham
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:34 pm

dpackham wrote:i cant really pull up one leg. I have a shield that has this chip soldered onto it already like this.

http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=307

so I need to get at it programatically sending a +++ command to get it into command mode.


if you find the +++ commands to work, fine. I doubt it though. The programming pin is probably floating, so you may still try pulling it high via 10k resistor even though the module is soldered to that board.

Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby JussiH » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:16 am

Succes....I finally got the BT module to respond to AT commands.

It is this module:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluet ... rs232.html

The connection diagram is here:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluet ... pin-1.html

You only need to pull pin 24 high (PIO1). Just connect directly to 3.3V to enable the module to read AT commands. (It did not work with a 10K resistor)

My SFE Basic FDTI is able to change to 3.3V operation, so I just did that and hooked up Module TX to FDTI RX and vice versa. No reset connection was necessary!

I did not have any luck with HyperTerminal or Hercules. Instead I used a demo-version of Advanced Serial Terminal. This is payware beyod a 14-day trial period, so I would like some suggestions for a freeware terminal program....Preferably one that works in a 64-bit windows environment!

I havent hooked it up to the Duino yet, but I will do that tonight. I will post some more thorough instructions and some pictures when I get it all running!

Since this module is TTL (Actually LV-TTL) I am assuming that any resistor combination that gets RX high under 3.3V is good...(I would use 5K and 2*4.7K to get 3.26V) Or am I running too close to 3.3V for this to be safe?

Thanks

Jussi
JussiH
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby noobee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:19 pm

JussiH wrote:Succes....I finally got the BT module to respond to AT commands.

It is this module:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluet ... rs232.html

The connection diagram is here:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluet ... pin-1.html

You only need to pull pin 24 high (PIO1). Just connect directly to 3.3V to enable the module to read AT commands. (It did not work with a 10K resistor)

My SFE Basic FDTI is able to change to 3.3V operation, so I just did that and hooked up Module TX to FDTI RX and vice versa. No reset connection was necessary!

I did not have any luck with HyperTerminal or Hercules. Instead I used a demo-version of Advanced Serial Terminal. This is payware beyod a 14-day trial period, so I would like some suggestions for a freeware terminal program....Preferably one that works in a 64-bit windows environment!

I havent hooked it up to the Duino yet, but I will do that tonight. I will post some more thorough instructions and some pictures when I get it all running!

Since this module is TTL (Actually LV-TTL) I am assuming that any resistor combination that gets RX high under 3.3V is good...(I would use 5K and 2*4.7K to get 3.26V) Or am I running too close to 3.3V for this to be safe?

Thanks

Jussi


hi,

can i confirm that you got that exact goodluckbuy bluetooth module that you linked (no baseboard)?

i have that module too and used this http://www.emartee.com/product/41981/Smart%20Bluetooth%20Module%20Baseboard to communicate with it (but only at 9600baud so far). this baseboard connects PIO1 to the LED and it lights up properly (flashes on standby, solid on connected), so i'm confused about how to get to AT command mode.

strangely, if there is no bluetooth session connected, i could actually send the "AT" command and receive the "OK" response from the module. but, i cannot seem to change the baud rate or set any other parameters. what is the exact command string did you send to change the baud rate, pin or device name?

i've also tried connecting PIO11 to 3.3v on powerup but it did not help. the goodluckbuy and emartee pages also indicated that PIO3 is the "WAKEUP" signal, anyone knows what that does?

looking for any help to change the baudrate of this http://www.goodluckbuy.com/serial-bluetooth-rf-transceiver-module-rs232.html goodluckbuy bluetooth module. thanks!
noobee
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:03 am

Hi noobee,

what name does the BT module display if you scan for it from some computer/smartphone?
You may try sending it 'AT+BAUD8" at 9600. That will set it to 115200.
Sending 'AT+NAMEname' will set the name.
No AT commands, no further options.
Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby noobee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Hamburger wrote:Hi noobee,

what name does the BT module display if you scan for it from some computer/smartphone?
You may try sending it 'AT+BAUD8" at 9600. That will set it to 115200.
Sending 'AT+NAMEname' will set the name.
No AT commands, no further options.
Hamburger


the device is discovered as "linvor".

when there is no bluetooth session established, i can send "AT" on the wired side and it responds with "OK" (i just powered up the board normally). i tried "AT+BAUD8" and "AT+NAMEname" but there is no response.

my baseboard as an LED that flashes when there is no bluetooth sesssion and goes solid where there is, this LED is tied to PIO1.
noobee
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: Serial Bluetooth RF Transceiver Module RS232

Postby Hamburger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:54 pm

noobee wrote:
Hamburger wrote:Hi noobee,

what name does the BT module display if you scan for it from some computer/smartphone?
You may try sending it 'AT+BAUD8" at 9600. That will set it to 115200.
Sending 'AT+NAMEname' will set the name.
No AT commands, no further options.
Hamburger


the device is discovered as "linvor".

when there is no bluetooth session established, i can send "AT" on the wired side and it responds with "OK" (i just powered up the board normally). i tried "AT+BAUD8" and "AT+NAMEname" but there is no response.

my baseboard as an LED that flashes when there is no bluetooth sesssion and goes solid where there is, this LED is tied to PIO1.


Hi,

I have one of these as well.
You are correct about the module:
one LED, blinking and going solid on being connected.
being delivered set to 9600.
does NOT need a programming pin to be pulled high for setup.
Takes following commands
at
at+BAUDx
at+NAMEname
That's it.
Hamburger
User avatar
Hamburger
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm
Location: air

Next

Return to Shields, boards and sensors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron