DIY i2c GPS for Pro Mini

ByteBandit

DIY i2c GPS for Pro Mini

Post by ByteBandit »

Hi all ;)

I want to upgrade my MultiWii Copter (Paris 3 Baord + Drotek 9 DOF) with a ic2 GPS. I've read, that is only possible with a secundary Arduino Pro Mini as a slave, who's handling the Datapackages - that's right? I'm not a programmer or electrical engenieer, but i am able to build that GPS with a good tutorial on my side.

So my question to the community to MultiWii-Forum is:
Who is able to build such a tutorial, and will share it here?
I think many other people will be happy about this project.

Regards
Markus

captaingeek

Re: DIY i2c GPS for Pro Mini

Post by captaingeek »

dodecopter

Post by dodecopter »

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

get it working yet?

:mrgreen:

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

if anyone has the schematics for this I could build it. Or even just the pin outs.

gompf-2

Post by gompf-2 »

Hi,

I just piggy packed 2 Prominis (pins gnd,vcc,sda,scl) and programmed one with multiwii and 2nd with I2C-GPS-Nav. From the I2C-Bus I go to a sparkfun LLC with additional 3.3v regulator. The two "transistor ports" on the LLC are used for I2c, one of the voltage dividers I use for conversion nav tx 5V to GPS rx 3.3v. 3,3V tx from gps is enough to trigger 5v rx as high. Now need for additional driver. I use a bare MTK3339 with just additional 10uF smd cap.

You just need the basic components to run the AVR (oscillator, 100nF blocking on vcc/gnd) and the direct connections to I2C/serial. I would add 3.3V regulator and LLC for 3.3V GPS. The setup is dead simple, but the product you listed is even cheaper than a plain promini/costs of parts+pcb.

Edit: Image
I saved the LLC. I just didn´t remember my last mod. The 3.3V reg is qnd-soldered to the nav pro mini, the 3,3V pin up with gravestone cap 100n to GND. The tx line from the GPS goes directly to the nav pro mini´s rx, LLC for I2C is now on the sensor boards.
I pack everthing up with some protective form for the baro:
GPS is on top with rx and fused LED distribution:

caz2660

Post by caz2660 »

I have produced a tutorial for adding the GPS in this way via the I2C bus and a second Pro Mini board. The pdf file can be found on this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1970971

Carolyn