Hello,
anybody knows/uses combination of NEO6 (binary protocol) with

Code: Select all

#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL
#define UBLOX

Does it works, any known quirks?

Regards
Andrej

BTW: How to check its working on the ground (any known LED behavior)?

Hamburger

Re: Ublox NEO on ProMini (Crius SE)

Post by Hamburger »

If you happen to own an i2c oled/lcd you could use that for displaying status info luke telemetry page 7

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Unfortunately I do not have I2C LCD just serial one. :(
But it seems that combination of ProMini and not configured UBLOX does not work (maybe "race condition" between sensing algorithm and the one for configuration :?: ).
Regards
Andrej

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

crashlander wrote:But it seems that combination of ProMini and not configured UBLOX does not work

Actually, the promini uses i2c-gps in order to connect to a gps module. Do you try to connect it directly? Which port do you use - hardware serial or software serial ?

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

With the defines from my first post you can enable serial GPS on ProMini with autosensing at startup. If GPS is present serial port works as GPS serial and if there is no GPS frame at the time MWII checks than serail port becoms standard serial port for GUI.
That functionality works O.K. for pure NMEA frame parsing with fixed baud rate that does not need startup configuration of GPS module but it fails when MWII should auto-sense baud and than set GPS to proper state.

So it si pure HW serial on port 0.

Regards
Andrej

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

crashlander wrote:With the defines from my first post you can enable serial GPS on ProMini with autosensing at startup. If GPS is present serial port works as GPS serial and if there is no GPS frame at the time MWII checks than serail port becoms standard serial port for GUI.

Thank you for the explanation. I remember some discussions as to it some time ago, but was not aware that this funcionality become already a part of the official distribution.

crashlander wrote:That functionality works O.K. for pure NMEA frame parsing with fixed baud rate that does not need startup configuration of GPS module but it fails when MWII should auto-sense baud and than set GPS to proper state.

I got some issues with a certain gps module froma Chinese vendor which did not accecpt the implemented NMEA code which should switch to the required baud rate and frequency. I overcame the issue by re-writing the code using only UBLOX binary protocol commands. Maybe it will help you, as well. The related code can be found in my last posting to the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3346&p=34527#p34527

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

@QuadBow
The functionality is in _shared from around 2.1 release.
Thank you for your tip, but that same GPS worked O.K. on Mega board with dedicated serial port (auto-configuration and stuff...) that is why I suspect the problem lays in sequence/delay of ProMini sensing GPS availability and GPS setup.
At the moment I will switch back to old NMEA GPS just to have basic functionality (since it suffice anyway).

Regards
Andrej