MinimOSD current sensor question

hydro psyche

Post by hydro psyche »

Hi guys,

Quick question regarding minimosd and current/voltage display. I've got the KV team board running their firmware...I also have an attopilot voltage/current sensor that I'm trying to use to feed battery into through the minim. I've watched a few videos of which pinouts should be used on the minim, and what the pinouts on the attopilot are, but I'm not clear on how the two should be connected. My understanding is that V, I, and ground from the attopilot should go directly to the BAT1, VIOUT, and GND on the minim, respectively. Is this correct, or does anything need to be going through the FC? My FC is a witespy pro2.0 board.

I ask because the following happened yesterday...I wired everything up, and forgot to heatshrink the minim before tucking it into the frame and tightening the plates down...when I connected the autopilot, and put battery power through it, I got a puff of smoke from my FC, specifically where the ground was coming out of the FC to the minim...the pin flat out melted where it connected with the lead. Not sure if I accidentally tightened down the power distribution board onto the bare minim board and crossed a connection somewhere, or if I wired the attopilot/minim incorrectly.

Any help is appreciated.

haydent

Re: MinimOSD current sensor question

Post by haydent »

doesnt sound good... sounds like you shorted something out either by incorrect wiring or your other suggestion which is likely considering the intensity of said burnout which would not likely happen to that extent from the fc system voltage 5v

as for you opening question, you can either hook the sensor up to multiwii or minim, whichever is more convenient

it sounds like you hooked up the sensor ok from what you say, but i have no experience with minim with input pins

hydro psyche

Post by hydro psyche »

Here's how I have the attopilot wired to the minim. In case it makes a difference, I have the 5v pin coming into the minim from the fc, and am powering 12v from a separate 3s on the video side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395580466.639814.jpg

haydent

Post by haydent »

that looks fine and likely not your problem, i forgot about the video 12v thing.

in the photo how come you dont have the 5v connected ? and the GRN is connected which is not needed ?

also i would be double checking your video connections again (particularly the 12v parts)

hydro psyche

Post by hydro psyche »

haydent wrote:that looks fine and likely not your problem, i forgot about the video 12v thing.

in the photo how come you dont have the 5v connected ? and the GRN is connected which is not needed ?

also i would be double checking your video connections again (particularly the 12v parts)

Thanks haydent. So you're saying I don't need the ground wire from the attopilot to the minim? Is that because the minim is already grounded from the FPV battery side? Still learning about when ground is or isn't required, so your thought on this might help me understand better. Where are you referencing the 5v? the only 5v is between the minim and the board.

As for the video connections, I think they're OK as the minim was working without problem last week when I was flying...the only time I had the problem was when I tried connecting the attopilot.

your help is appreciated

haydent

Post by haydent »

what i meant was GRN != GND but if you had it working b4 then no worries.

and as mentioned 5v circuit wont make it puff smoke, unless you have something seriously wrong with your sensor and it is letting full lipo voltage to your minim

im guessing that or you shorted it some other way with the lipo volts/amps

either way it sounds like you cooked something and need to work out which board it is and get a replacement

hydro psyche

Post by hydro psyche »

Definitely cooked the fc...it won't power from the lipo, only through the USB, so I blew one of the diodes.

I'm almost positive I pinched the power distribution board down on top of the minim and sent 12v somewhere I shouldn't.

hydro psyche

Post by hydro psyche »

Definitely cooked the fc...it won't power from the lipo, only through the USB, so I blew one of the diodes.

I'm almost positive I pinched the power distribution board down on top of the minim and sent 12v somewhere I shouldn't.

regzgz

Post by regzgz »

Something got "fry"
Good luck!