Minim OSD problems

Noctaro

Minim OSD problems

Post by Noctaro »

Hi folks,
i recieved my new Minim OSD V1.1 from hobbykong. Wohooo, again able to do FPV flights! :mrgreen:
But wait...nono...
First things first. 8-)
- Solder the two 5V pads, as i will not use 12V on videoports.
- Upload most recent Team_KV version to it.

Now my problem:
- Of course before i upload KV-sketch, i upload EEPROM_clear sketch....BUT it does not work.I am not able to upload anything..... :cry:

Message at verbose upload:

Code: Select all

Binäre Sketchgröße: 790 Bytes (von einem Maximum von 30.720 Bytes)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -carduino -P\\.\COM4 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\Nocturn\AppData\Local\Temp\build4124390543560591445.tmp\EEPROM_Clear.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : \\.\COM4
         Using Programmer              : arduino
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
avrdude: Send: 0 [30]   [20]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done.  Thank you.

What i have tried so far:
-double, triple, octo check my connections.
-try to reverse RX/TX from FTDI.
-test different versions of Arduino SW 1.0-1.05
-update FTDI drivers.
-connect FPV cam and transmitter, to get an additional GND. (This was mentioned in some topics across the web)
->now i have the "waiting for mavlink heartbeats" message on my FPV screen, so i assume the OSD is not dead.
-try to use all other versions of the ATMEGA 328 board instead of "Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5v 16mhz) w/ ATMEGA 328" for upload.
-tested FTDI on my old minim osd V0.1 -> working without problems.
-tested FTDI also with my FC -> everything fine

What i was not able to do:
- Burn a new bootloader, as i dont have the neccesary programmer.

So, shouldnt it have a working arduino bootloader?
Is this the only thing left to try? Any advices?
Its frustrating to wait for 2010293093 days (32 days ;) ) to recieve a unit, that will not work even if price is low. Seems this was my last order from HK :shock:

Ok, as i dont like to give up, i proceed with repairing the OSD i never intendet to use again.
The Minim OSD 0.1 from goodluckbuy.
It was the one that just popped out a resistor during flight and resetted my FC leading to a fatal crash.

Now, i have a question. What would this resistor do for the MAX chip?
What i have done:
-I was not able to resolder the resistor, as it did not stick to its solderingpoints anymore. Seems like its soldering contact went away. Refuses all solder.
-Because i did not care anymore about this board and i wanted to know what happens, i just soldered a bridge instead of the resistor.
-Now i was shocked :shock: , this crazy thing works! I have some flickering of the OSD graphics/letters, but not disturbing at all, on my FPV screen.
-As i am afraid of this board, i left it connected to KV-GUI with simulating enabled for around an hour. With the result that everything seems to work as it should.
-There was no heat up and no fading away. Just perfect :?

Before i let this board levitate again, i wanted to ask for some feedback, if it may theoretical be ok, also without the resistor.

Of course i´d prefer to use the new Minim OSD V1.1......pfffff.... :x

It will make me very happy if anyone has an idea on how to solve this upload problems, or if someone knows if i may be fine with the old "resistor modded" "Minim OSD V0.1" for now. :?:

Thank you!

Greetz Noc

kataventos

Re: Minim OSD problems

Post by kataventos »

Hi Noc,

the only thing that crosses my mind is to flash the boot loader but this you know already...
Because you don´t have a USB ASP maybe you are stuck with it, my advice is for you to order one, they´r cheap.

As for the "resistor" I will look carefully to one I have just like yours and try to figure if it is a resistor or a capacitor, just need to find it somewhere between my stuff... not sure where did I put it because it was my first Minim used for developments.

I will update on that matter.

Cheers,
-KV

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

OK,

a friend of mine found it under some papers and stuff :mrgreen:
Yes, it is a resistor and the value is 1k... hope you get it up in the air soon.

Cheers,
-KV

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

HIjacking the thread....

I have a minim from RC-Timer.
Soldered 5V pads on both sides.

flashed
Eeprom clear.
Latest most recent Team_KV version.
Font file.

OSD overlay works perfect.
But i don't get video from camera thru it!.

Can it be faulty from factory or have i missed something else?
Nothing seems visually wrong.

In worst case i'll have to buy a new.
After all it's possible to use it and use a videoswitch.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

After a closer comparance with Noctaro's picture.
I found that my minim is missing the capasior in series with the video in!
On the Video out is a small Cap but on the inline there's only the solderpads...

Hence only Video Out works!..
Cheap products.

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hi all!
OK,

a friend of mine found it under some papers and stuff :mrgreen:
Yes, it is a resistor and the value is 1k... hope you get it up in the air soon.

Cheers,
-KV

First thank you for digging into my problem KV! I will order an USB ASP these days and look for some 1k smd resistor at my old mainboards. :mrgreen:

After a closer comparance with Noctaro's picture.
I found that my minim is missing the capasior in series with the video in!
On the Video out is a small Cap but on the inline there's only the solderpads...

Hence only Video Out works!..
Cheap products.

That sucks hard....sorry for you PatrikE. At least you could find the cause...repair or reorder?

Greetz Noc

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

repair or reorder?

I ordered 2 new from Whitespy instead.

I'll try to find a cap and solder in.
Maybe i could just bridge the gap?
Not sure what function the cap have.
Probably some filtering?

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

PatrikE wrote:
repair or reorder?

I ordered 2 new from Whitespy instead.

I'll try to find a cap and solder in.
Maybe i could just bridge the gap?
Not sure what function the cap have.
Probably some filtering?

Hey,
WiteSpy is the best choice at this time, latest developments were made with it and I am very happy.

As for the cap, no! don´t bridge it, you can easily find a tiny 10v 100uf (eg. old VGA PCI or Sound Blaster boards ... I found one for my old and faulty Rushduino), check board polarization with your multimeter and apply it correctly. If this is the only problem I think you should be OK.

Cheers,
-KV

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I found the Eagle files for the minim and it's a 0.1uf.
A old soundblaster card volunteered as a donor a couple days ago.
F#*$k these things is tiny to solder....
I now have a working osd.. B-)
And 2 brand new on the way from Whitespy.

Good work by the KV team.

Patrik

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Nice that its working Patrik and now you have some spare OSDs for future projects :mrgreen:

Had not enough time to do some fpv test with my old osd, but i guess it works again. I soldered a 1k resitor, now flickering seems to be gone. Again thanks for the tip.
Still waiting for the programmer to arrive...

Greetz Noc

thomas_tank

Post by thomas_tank »

Noc I got the same error on several Minim boards. Some RCTimer 0.1 versions others.
I found that connecting the DTR line of my FTDI cable solved the problem in most cases.

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

hi thomas,
thank you for your tip. I connected all ftdi pins, including DTR, but its the same behaviour. MinimOSD will not communicate with AVRdude.

Greetz Noc

scrat

Post by scrat »

Noctaro wrote:hi thomas,
thank you for your tip. I connected all ftdi pins, including DTR, but its the same behaviour. MinimOSD will not communicate with AVRdude.

Greetz Noc

I had have the same problems with minim osd v1.1 from hobbyking. Board wouldn't communicate with Arduino. Then I have burned bootloader with usbasp and voila...now it's working.

Free_Bird

Post by Free_Bird »

OK, I just received a new board from readytoflyquads (whitespy)...

1. Do I need to cut the trace as indicated by the wiki page? How do I tell if this is from the first batch? The date on the back says 08/27/2013
https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-deve ... d_Hardware

2. The wiring diagrams on whitespy's website are a little confusing, it is unclear what modifications have been done to the board
- For instance is it safe to connect +12V to the center pint of the Video IN/OUT headers?

3. There are solder pads on the side for BAT1, GND, BAT2, GND, TXTSSI, GND, VIOUT, GND
- Do I need to connect each individual ground or will a single common ground suffice?
- I am assuming that TXTSSI is the RSSI pin?
- I am assuming that the VIOUT is the current sensor pin?

I apologize for all the questions, but I don't want to do something dumb and fry the board. I read through all the pages here and didn't find the answers to these questions. If there is another resource someplace else you can just point me there. I am not opposed to doing some reading, I just didn't find anything re the above questions.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Minim OSD thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918

Free_Bird

Post by Free_Bird »

scrat wrote:Minim OSD thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918

Please don't take this the wrong way... but really, a one liner with a link to a thread that is 81 pages long? I am not opposed to doing some research but mining the information from a 81 page thread is going to take me hours!

Edit: For anyone interested the linked thread is pretty pointless to my asked questions till you get to page 71.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2918&start=700#p44034

Most of my questions are still left unanswered... back to reading!

kataventos

Post by kataventos »

Free_Bird wrote:OK, I just received a new board from readytoflyquads (whitespy)...

1. Do I need to cut the trace as indicated by the wiki page? How do I tell if this is from the first batch? The date on the back says 08/27/2013
https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-deve ... d_Hardware.

Hi, you can know by checking it with the multimeter and you can see it on the wiki page.

Free_Bird wrote:2. The wiring diagrams on whitespy's website are a little confusing, it is unclear what modifications have been done to the board
- For instance is it safe to connect +12V to the center pint of the Video IN/OUT headers?

Question... why do you need to make the 12v go into the OSD?? The wiki also talks about it...

Free_Bird wrote:3. There are solder pads on the side for BAT1, GND, BAT2, GND, TXTSSI, GND, VIOUT, GND
- Do I need to connect each individual ground or will a single common ground suffice?

For measuring voltage´s on the ADC´s? Sure you need. Besides, how many batteries do you use, one or two? I mean separated vídeo batt...?

Free_Bird wrote:- I am assuming that TXTSSI is the RSSI pin?

Yes, here don´t need to use ground. Your RX is already grounded with your OSD thru the UBEC/main batt.

Free_Bird wrote:- I am assuming that the VIOUT is the current sensor pin?

Yes, no need to use ground here also.

I understand that the labels are very confusing, I got myself asking why the two batts were saying batt12 etc etc :mrgreen: will ask Paul for draws to make better/detailed wiki on this matter ASAP.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

I flashed different MinimOSD boards (from HK, Bangggod, Rctimer ...) with Rush OSD. The only problem I occasionally encountered was having the artificial horizon garbled with random characters. In those cases (happened twice) I used the character map upload procedure described by katavenos and re-flashed the board. Then I discovered Witespy and Ready to Fly Quads ...
The other issue I had was not being able to change the baud rate in Rush OSD ... the default works fine with BT (115200) but you can't use it with a 3 DR telemetry (57600) if you have a 328p board (one UART port only). So I wrote to Kata and he's incorporating that feature in the next release ... that will be when ? :-) ...

Georges41

Post by Georges41 »

Hi,
Please help me to start working with a MAVLink board and a FAT SHARK 5.8 GHz system. After downloading the KV_Team_OSD_2.3 on the board, the GUI application simulator ON, as in the attached file, it is any signal received, NO Image, NO miniOSD.

Yours, Georges
Attachments
KV_TEAM_OSD_GUI Simulator Test.jpg

scrat

Post by scrat »

Georges41 wrote:Hi,
Please help me to start working with a MAVLink board and a FAT SHARK 5.8 GHz system. After downloading the KV_Team_OSD_2.3 on the board, the GUI application simulator ON, as in the attached file, it is any signal received, NO Image, NO miniOSD.

Yours, Georges

If you want mavlink then KV_OSD is not for you. Use minimosd-extra instead. https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/

Georges41

Post by Georges41 »

PatrikE wrote:I found the Eagle files for the minim and it's a 0.1uf.
A old soundblaster card volunteered as a donor a couple days ago.
F#*$k these things is tiny to solder....
I now have a working osd.. B-)
And 2 brand new on the way from Whitespy.

Good work by the KV team.

Patrik

Hi Patrik,
Would you be so kind to send me the Eagle file for the minim. I continue to be in troubles with my MAVLink-OSD board which refuses to give any signal. Am I using the wrong software(KV-Team-OSD_2.3) for it? In addition the image of my board is a bit different. Unfortunately the image of the board with a good resolution is too big to be transfered.

carlonb

Post by carlonb »

Georges41 wrote:Hi,

Yours, Georges

George,
What kind of FC & s/w are you using?
KV team osd can only connect with MultiWii s/w FC.
Cheers
Carlo

Georges41

Post by Georges41 »

KV_TEAM_OSD_GUI Simulator Test.jpg
Hi carlonb,
I am using an AIO Flight Controler Atmega 2560 V2.0 with MultiWii 2.3. For the moment I ma interested to start working the MAVLink board with the simulator.
In spite of many and repeated configurations tests the googles coupled with the receiver of the FAT SHARK 5.8 GHz did not shows images. Of coarse the power supply of the FAT SHARK TX and the camera is different from the PC in the simulator configuration. I tested the KV_Team_OSD_2.3 program on the board and the KV_GUI_2.3 with good results for the read and write of different parameters to the board. An example is a screen capture file attached