MSP commands

9colas

MSP commands

Post by 9colas »

Hello

We are 2 boys building a small QuadX in a school projekt. We have an Arduino Pro Mini connected with a GY-87 and everything is working well in the GUI. We want to control it via the HC-05 bluetooth module and MSP. As a start, we would like to send some commands to the multi software with a program like Tera Term or another Terminal. Is it possible and how exactly do we write these commands? We are not software developers or similar, so we would like some help for dummies.

Thanks

crashlander

Re: MSP commands

Post by crashlander »

Hello,
there are quite some calculations and "bit flipping" done to get proper MSP command and is probably not feasible to do-it in TeraTerm and likes.
That said you can still look at http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php? ... l_Protocol.

9colas

Post by 9colas »

Okay thanks! But what if we want to send the command MSP_IDENT to somehow get an answer from multiwii software? How is this easiest done?

waltr

Post by waltr »

Yes, study the MSP page in the MW WIKI.

These are NOT pure text but TeraTerm can be used to send 'prepackaged' MSP commands.
Use a Binary editor to create small files with the MSP commands you wish to send. You must calculate the proper Check Sum as per the MSP WIKI.
Then in TeraTerm use the 'send file' to send these MSP commands. I have done this and it does work.
I actually write Python scripts to generate the MSP command files to make creating these easier.

Do MSP_IDENT as I described. This is the easiest way.
You will then need to "decode" the returned MSP packet to obtain the info it contains.

I really recommend learning some programming to handle these MSP commands. Python is pretty easy and very powerful so is a good starting program to learn (this is the recommended start language for the Raspberry PI and grade schoolers have written programs using Python).

9colas

Post by 9colas »

Thanks a lot! We'll try what you described. We can do some basic programming in Arduino and Matlab but that's it. Maybe we should learn some Python programming :D