Cleanflight aka Multiwii port to STM32 F10x and F30x

pequod

Re: Cleanflight aka Multiwii port to STM32 F10x and F30x

Post by pequod »

Use a more recent version of the compiler like GNU Tools ARM Embedded\4.8 2014q2 to avoid that linker problem.

brm

Post by brm »

pequod wrote:Use a more recent version of the compiler like GNU Tools ARM Embedded\4.8 2014q2 to avoid that linker problem.

yes, solves the issue - thnaks.
but the code is 10 percent slower ;-)

need to switch back where it is critical.

treym

Post by treym »

brm wrote:after updating cleanfligth i did run into linking issues:

Code: Select all

make 
.isr_vector defined in discarded section `.text'

the older version did compile without issues.
i am using gcc from launchpad and the version is: 4.7.4

brm wrote:
pequod wrote:Use a more recent version of the compiler like GNU Tools ARM Embedded\4.8 2014q2 to avoid that linker problem.

yes, solves the issue - thnaks.
but the code is 10 percent slower

so , just comment out -flto

or do the following

- Interrupt vectors must be declared as __attribute__ ((used, section(".isr_vector"))) to keep it from optimized away by LTO
- _Handler also need to be modificatory by “ _attribute__((used)) ”.

rtfm

brm

Post by brm »

treym wrote:
brm wrote:after updating cleanfligth i did run into linking issues:
[code]
rtfm

not my code.
just wanna load my cc3d with a hex file and do some testing.
nothing more.

bajacondor

Post by bajacondor »

Been fighting with serial ports! I'm trying to run a Bluetooth module, a miniumOSD, and a GPS with cleanflight. From various posts, and Hydra's video, it looks like this is possible. I just can't seem to get any communication on the softserial 3 (pins 5&6 on a flip32+.

I have:
features: GPS, SOFTSERIAL, TELEMETRY, VBAT
telemetry_provider=2 (MSP)
serial_port_3_scenario=8 (MSP ONLY)

I'm trying to get the OSD to run on softserial. I have compiled kvosd to run at 56700 baud. Any other hints out there?

Thank you!

strips

Sv: Cleanflight aka Multiwii port to STM32 F10x and F30x

Post by strips »

bajacondor wrote:Been fighting with serial ports! I'm trying to run a Bluetooth module, a miniumOSD, and a GPS with cleanflight. From various posts, and Hydra's video, it looks like this is possible. I just can't seem to get any communication on the softserial 3 (pins 5&6 on a flip32+.

I have:
features: GPS, SOFTSERIAL, TELEMETRY, VBAT
telemetry_provider=2 (MSP)
serial_port_3_scenario=8 (MSP ONLY)

I'm trying to get the OSD to run on softserial. I have compiled kvosd to run at 56700 baud. Any other hints out there?

Thank you!

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think softserial will do 56700. I think I remember seing 19200 somewhere.

bajacondor

Post by bajacondor »

Yes, I saw that somewhere too. I tried a compile for 19200. Nothing but gibberish on the OSD.

bajacondor

Post by bajacondor »

Do I need to change msp_baudrate down to 19200 for softserial 3? If I do that, I lose the connection to the bluetooth on UART1.

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

yeah, msp_baudrate cannot be specified independently for each port.

I might have a little re-think about the serial stuff, some serial port functionality only runs at set baud rates, e.g. sbus at 100000bps, frsky at 9600, HoTT at 19200, etc. other functions like OSD/MSP, GPS need to be configurable. Currently MSP is the only think you can use on multiple ports and is thus the odd one out so there needs to be some way of being able to specify MSP speeds for each MSP port.

Please raise an issue/feature request on the issue tracker https://github.com/hydra/cleanflight/issues

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

brm wrote:just wanna load my cc3d with a hex file and do some testing..

Did you get it compiling and running on your CC3D brm?

What performance issues did you notice after link time optimization was enabled and how did you spot them? I've been flying the CC3D and Naze/Flip32 target builds since lto was enabled without issue but if there's performance optimizations that can be made then please let me know.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

Dominic,

What are your thoughts with regard to sonar?

I've been steadily making progress with my sonar sensor, but have come up against a bit of an issue:
Cleanflight (and probably Multiwii) don't consider sonar to be a separate flight mode. Instead, they sort of mash it together with Baro. If you don't have a baro sensor, you can't use sonar.

This is a bit of a problem for me, because I wanted to use sonar for low level altitude hold (ie about 50 cm off the ground) while belting through an underground carpark. And I only have an "acro" naze board without a baro...

So my questions are as follows:
1) Would you consider merging a pull request that added a new box in the "Auxilliary Configuration" page, called "Sonar" that allowed altitude hold via sonar (and via baro if that separate box was enabled)?
2) If so, how should I set up my git branches? (because to get sonar working I need the "bugfix-sonar-with-parallel-pwm" branch code, but I want to keep these changes as a separate pull request)

Thanks for any ideas.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

I've gotten proof of concept with this:

Sonar mode
Sonar mode

Now when moving the quad between the desk and the floor, the motors speed up and slow down, depending on how far away the 'ground' is.

Flight tests to come.

shufflez

Post by shufflez »

@brm; here's the procedure to get cleanflight on your CC3D: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/43569-baseflightcleanflight-ported-to-cc3d/page-8#entry360867.
Based on this post for recovery of CC3D (with screenshots): http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/43350-have-i-bricked-my-board/page-2#entry347681.

Hope this helps!
Subsequent flashing can be done via configurator (although not yet via USB, currently still FTDI on MainPort).
@Dominic; can I help in making latest compiled hex for most targets available somewhere?

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

Flight test with sonar was a success! The altitude hold is quite good, it will need a bit of tuning but the proof of concept is definitely there. I'm stoked that I can have altitude hold without a baro 8-)

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

nebbian, yes!

i never liked the fact that they were merged in the current code. separation of sonar and baro = good!

please submit a pull request, we can get the initial code in and that do more clean-up/refactoring commits afterwards.

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

shufflez wrote:can I help in making latest compiled hex for most targets available somewhere?

I have bandwidth and space for storing them, an automated build procedure would be great. an instance of something like Jenkins for the project would be good. I'm keen to use something that I don't have to manage myself however since my time is better spent programming rather than managing build servers.

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

nebbian wrote:how should I set up my git branches? (because to get sonar working I need the "bugfix-sonar-with-parallel-pwm" branch code, but I want to keep these changes as a separate pull request)

Create a branch for each pull request.

Maintain your own 'test' branch and merge the commits from the pull request branches into the 'test' branch.

Compile and test your 'test' branch.

If you need to make further adjustments then make the changes in your 'test' branch and 'git cherry-pick' the commits back into your pull-request branches

There should be no single commit that change code for both branches. I.e. keep your commits focused and as small as possible.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

dominicclifton wrote:
nebbian wrote:how should I set up my git branches? (because to get sonar working I need the "bugfix-sonar-with-parallel-pwm" branch code, but I want to keep these changes as a separate pull request)

Create a branch for each pull request.

Maintain your own 'test' branch and merge the commits from the pull request branches into the 'test' branch.

Compile and test your 'test' branch.

If you need to make further adjustments then make the changes in your 'test' branch and 'git cherry-pick' the commits back into your pull-request branches

There should be no single commit that change code for both branches. I.e. keep your commits focused and as small as possible.

Awesome. Many thanks, that makes perfect sense.

I had already made a 'flight-ready' branch that went along similar lines, with the good pull requests merged into them. I'll make another branch for testing.

I don't know if this is related, but when the board is powered by the USB plug, it boots up and runs fine. Also plugging a 4.8V NiCad (measured at 5.03 volts) into the receiver makes the board boot up.However when running this sonar firmware when powered by the ESC it hangs on bootup.
I can't understand how this power issue could be related to the sonar firmware, but this weirdness only happens when the sonar firmware is installed on the board.

I've just triple-checked this to confirm. My firmware: won't boot via ESC power. Other firmware boots fine using the ESC.

In fact to test the sonar firmware I had to plug into the computer to start the board, then plug the battery in and unplug the USB connector.

Any ideas?

I'll package what I've got into a commit for you, I'm sure you'll spot the problem straight away :)

treym

Post by treym »

nebbian wrote: I'm stoked that I can have altitude hold without a baro 8-)

relative distance is not altitude, cmon btch' s..

brm

Post by brm »

shufflez wrote:@brm; here's the procedure to get cleanflight on your CC3D: http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/43569-baseflightcleanflight-ported-to-cc3d/page-8#entry360867.
Based on this post for recovery of CC3D (with screenshots): http://forums.openpilot.org/topic/43350-have-i-bricked-my-board/page-2#entry347681.

Hope this helps!
Subsequent flashing can be done via configurator (although not yet via USB, currently still FTDI on MainPort).
@Dominic; can I help in making latest compiled hex for most targets available somewhere?

thanks!
as i try to use the swd connection i found the following documentation: http://wiki.openpilot.org/display/Doc/DIY+CC3D
will flash it soon.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

dominicclifton wrote:nebbian, yes!

i never liked the fact that they were merged in the current code. separation of sonar and baro = good!

please submit a pull request, we can get the initial code in and that do more clean-up/refactoring commits afterwards.

Pull request sent :)

I also found the problem with the board hang. This is a bug that seems to be present within BaseFlight as well. The problem is within the hcsr04 driver file: distance_ptr can be written to before it is initialized, meaning that the board goes into a null pointer exception mode (I think).
From what I can see, this problem exists within both sonar input modes (rc78 as well as pwm56) but I can't test it, and testing null pointers is difficult at the best of times.

A fix has been uploaded inside another of my pull requests :)

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

nebbian wrote:I also found the problem with the board hang. This is a bug that seems to be present within BaseFlight as well. The problem is within the hcsr04 driver file: distance_ptr can be written to before it is initialized, meaning that the board goes into a null pointer exception mode (I think).

I fixed that a different way, the way you implemented meant that extra memory was permenantly used, my fix initialises the pointer to 0 and checks to see if the pointer has been set correctly before using it. Simple and no extra distance_init used.

Please see https://github.com/hydra/cleanflight/co ... 79cc38ee15

I will merge in the other pwm/sonar commits soon. Having a rather busy week and have had no time to dig out my sonar sensor and parallel pwm RX.

Outstanding pull requests are always very high on my priority list since the longer they are left the harder they are to merge (due to code changes, developer availability, etc).

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

Excellent work Dominic as always!

It's been a long time since I've had to worry about memory management, so my 'fix' was a bit rudimentary. Yours is way better.

My quad is in bits at the moment due to upgrades (new VTx antenna, new landing gear, lights, and a better way to mount the sonar sensor) but I should have it back together by the weekend to sort out the sonar flight mode.

Thanks for merging my changes :)

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Feature request. Would love to see Cleanflight implement mixers like OpenAeroVTOL for KK boards. The idea is that you could use the board for hybrid VTOL craft, and transition between hoover and forward flight. In my case, a tricopter with two servo's that will morph in to a flying wing (two servo's will become thrust vectoring).

The KK implementation is actually not bad at all, but limited to .. well, KK. Id love to see this on a naze. I wouldnt even bother asking TC, but maybe this fork is open to fresh idea's ?

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

Vertigo, have you tried to use the cmix functionality?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5345

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Any chance to use Cleanflight on Quanton ?

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

nebbian wrote:Excellent work Dominic as always! Thanks for merging my changes :)

You're welcome, again thanks for the initial investigation and work. Between us all we'll continually make it better.

nebbian wrote:My quad is in bits at the moment due to upgrades (new VTx antenna, new landing gear, lights, and a better way to mount the sonar sensor) but I should have it back together by the weekend to sort out the sonar flight mode.

Looking forward to seeing a video of your quad using sonar and hearing your feedback :D hint hint :D

I will also try and fit a sonar to one of my quads and give it a whirl, hopefully this weekend if time and weather permits.

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

Gimbal wrote:Any chance to use Cleanflight on Quanton ?

Trey M is doing some work on this. If you send me one I can look into it. :D :D

I have been very kindly donated an Open Pilot Revolution which also has an F4 processor. I need to finish up a few things before I start work on F4 targets, but yes I don't see why not.

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Hi, yes i'm willing to donate a Quanton board for the cause, mail me you're address and i'l post it to you :D i have a few that i'm not using....
Anders

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

dominicclifton wrote:
Looking forward to seeing a video of your quad using sonar and hearing your feedback :D hint hint :D

Ask and ye shall receive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCsRmSb ... e=youtu.be

It seemed to work pretty well, although it occasionally glitched (perhaps due to grass or something). Also when flying forwards the quad seemed to lose altitude a bit, perhaps due to the sound waves having to travel further when the medium is rushing past. But it's a very cool thing to have 8-)

ArrogantDuck

Post by ArrogantDuck »

Hmm...

This is really starting to look sexy. Cleanflight, huh?

The sonar example is quite slick.That won't work outside of what range?

Time to look at raspberry pi and the ability to capture this data. Great mapping tech for 3D, it seems.

argotera

Post by argotera »

Hi, I have a full naze32 clone, the flip32+. Some of my channel pins are no more working due to repeated soldering and desoldering. To be more specific pins not working are channel pins 1-4.

I have a dsmx and a dsm2 sat receiver. How can I use one of these for receiver? Pin 4 is not working so I cannot connect to that. I have tried connecting the sats to a set of 3 pinholes on the board marked as "rgv". The sat receivers are powered correctly (3.3v), bind and transmit fine (I tested on multiwii boards), but I do not know how to make it work in naze32. I tried cli commands ppm and serialrx but did not help. all channels input are stuck at 1500, so I guess the fc just does not receive a valid signal from the receiver.

Can anyone help on that? I do not know what am I missing. What are those "rgv" pins for?
Is there a way to remap pins? I have 2 pwm pins unused and channel pins 7 and 8 free to use .

Thanks,

Vassilis

Plüschi

Post by Plüschi »

Flip32 sat connector is not wired correctly. You have to use pin4.
Next time, buy the real thing :)

strips

Sv: Cleanflight aka Multiwii port to STM32 F10x and F30x

Post by strips »

argotera wrote:Hi, I have a full naze32 clone, the flip32+. Some of my channel pins are no more working due to repeated soldering and desoldering. To be more specific pins not working are channel pins 1-4.

I have a dsmx and a dsm2 sat receiver. How can I use one of these for receiver? Pin 4 is not working so I cannot connect to that. I have tried connecting the sats to a set of 3 pinholes on the board marked as "rgv". The sat receivers are powered correctly (3.3v), bind and transmit fine (I tested on multiwii boards), but I do not know how to make it work in naze32. I tried cli commands ppm and serialrx but did not help. all channels input are stuck at 1500, so I guess the fc just does not receive a valid signal from the receiver.

Can anyone help on that? I do not know what am I missing. What are those "rgv" pins for?
Is there a way to remap pins? I have 2 pwm pins unused and channel pins 7 and 8 free to use .

Thanks,

Vassilis

Don't know if it's feasible. But you could try to trace out the pins and solder on a thin wire to the header pins. Probably need to use a very thin wire and solder it to some SMD component.

Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

nebbian wrote:Vertigo, have you tried to use the cmix functionality?

Doesnt seem to work for servo's unfortunately.

argotera

Post by argotera »

Hi Pluschi, what do you mean not wired correctly? I had read about some earlier problems, I think the signal and voltage cables were swapped, but that must not be the case, since the receivers bind and work fine. can you link me to where I can read more? Any way to find how to utilize soft serials?

I am not interested in buying the real thing tbh. This is nice hardware, but it comes down to the people behind it. If Dominic intends to carry on development of cleanflight Id be more than happy to support that part.I see cleanflight more open to ports and community contributions

@strips, yeah, I have really thin enamel coated wire to try this, I found the schematics too. But this will be very difficult so I thought I could do this by somehow remapping the pins,using softserial, or the "rgv" pinholes by some cli command that i missed

Any further input is welcome. Thank you guys.

tungsten2k

Post by tungsten2k »

This isn't really a Flip32 support thread but the Flip32 Spektrum sat setup is described in these two posts:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6687

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=105

To get the sat working in Cleanflight, search for my detail of it earlier in this thread (as the docs on the Cleanflight wiki have instructions for Baseflight and won't work for Cleanflight).

-=dave

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

Gimbal wrote:Hi, yes i'm willing to donate a Quanton board for the cause, mail me you're address and i'l post it to you :D i have a few that i'm not using....
Anders

That'd be awesome, I'll drop you a PM.

argotera

Post by argotera »

Thank you Dave, no worries, I won't take up any more space in this thread for such a board-specific question. I'll start reading and if any more problems come up, I ll post in the thread in rcg.

Thanks a lot for the help, it seems I will not avoid extra fine soldering work.

Vassilis

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

Cleanflight now supports MSP on multiple ports!

This means you can connect Bluetooth AND OSD at the same time!

Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFqYuaEF3pE

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

Cleanflight also now supports simultaneous MSP and MSP telemetry!

Use:

feature TELEMETRY
set telemetry_provider=2
save

MSP telemetry basically just sends out MSP commands over the serial port, the difference now is that the serial port configured as TELEMETRY has telemetry data sent over it and this can be at the same time as MSP on the main port. Previously MSP telemetry data was only sent via the main MSP port. MSP telemetry baud rate is currently fixed at 19200 baud and is independent of the MSP baud rate on the main port.

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

Busy day today. I have implemented a really nice saving of over 300 bytes of RAM by getting rid of an unnecessary copy of current profile from RAM. This was made much easier enabled by my recent changes to the dump cli command which separated master commands from profile commands.

I've not flight tested these recent changes, once I do (hopefully this weekend) I will upload a new binary, until then grab the source and build it if you fancy checking out these new features and improvements!

Further details can be found here: https://github.com/hydra/cleanflight/commits/master

wade.weppler

Post by wade.weppler »

Great work as always Dominic!

Pierre_A

Post by Pierre_A »

wade.weppler wrote:Great work as always Dominic!

+1, thnks DC !

just received this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55819__AfroFlight_Naze32_Acro_AbuseMark_FunFly_Controller.html
nicely packaged with all needed headers and breakout cable

and flashed CleanFlight on it ; no problem and it does work fine (on the bench, not flight tested yet).

dieterg

Post by dieterg »

Safety issue !!!!
I'm not a great writer so here the video, Cleanflight should not arm this way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTW5Bu4uLCI

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

dominicclifton wrote:Cleanflight also now supports simultaneous MSP and MSP telemetry!

Use:

feature TELEMETRY
set telemetry_provider=2
save

MSP telemetry basically just sends out MSP commands over the serial port, the difference now is that the serial port configured as TELEMETRY has telemetry data sent over it and this can be at the same time as MSP on the main port. Previously MSP telemetry data was only sent via the main MSP port. MSP telemetry baud rate is currently fixed at 19200 baud and is independent of the MSP baud rate on the main port.

Dominic,

Thanks for that. Works nicely with a 3DR radio @19200 baud. Will you be able to relax the fixed baud rate; for my application I could easily run at maybe down to 2400 (exchanging < 90 bytes /sec for raw+comp GPS / alt /att / voltage data).

Falling Rock

Post by Falling Rock »

Unfortunately, my coding skills aren't up par for the 32bit microcontroller, so I can't write the function I want.

So I have a proposed feature that might be helpful to some, including myself.

What is the chance that we could get Spektrum satellite binding mode included in Cleanflight?

The simple subroutine for the Arduino is detailed in this post:

https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/source/browse/branches/gke/MultiWii_gke_Lite/PocketQuadSpektrumBindCode/PocketQuadSpektrumBindCode.ino?r=1469

Thoughts from those smarter than I?

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

dieterg wrote:Safety issue !!!!
I'm not a great writer so here the video, Cleanflight should not arm this way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTW5Bu4uLCI

Fixed last night, please re-test with latest binary.

Please can people always report bugs via the github issue tracker - of course, feel free to reference the bugs here and on IRC after submitting them :D

https://github.com/hydra/cleanflight/issues
Last edited by dominicclifton on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dominicclifton

Post by dominicclifton »

Latest binary for naze/flip32 available in github - SONAR support. Prevent arming after connecting a battery when the throttle is in low; when using a switch to arm and when the switch is left in the ON position. PWM Failsafe improvements. MSP Telemetry on telemetry port. Support MSP on multiple ports. Free RAM improvements.

Latest configurator available in chrome web store - important upgrade if you are using spektrum RX since older configurators were not configuring aux channels correctly - if you were using a spektrum please backup your config, reset to defaults and re-configure (don't restore your old aux settings via cli, use the gui to configure it).