Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

e_lm_70

Re: Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by e_lm_70 »

Here some photo of DIY Harakiri on XuGong 10"

Only flown so far in ANGLE mode ... still not tried out anything special.

Just re-maiden with BL gimbal .. but I need to balance my prop ... even with massive anti-vibration system ... my BL gimbal more then jello .. start to shake like mad horizontally ... but only from 40% power ... so ... on a lucky descend video is perfect .. LOL

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Ups ... picture above are too big ... my Firefox show only a part ..

Only right click and show image does show the full picture

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

@Mr-Fiero
Here's a quick video of my f330 on testcodeR79 and your GPS configuration file.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Here are a few of my 3D printed copters :

DSC_0041.JPG
300 size OctoX8 - Flip 32+ - RCX motors - Neo 6 GPS - Harakiri - Great PH. Very stable flyer ... and flips well to.
(97.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSC_0049.JPG
Micro 250 OctoX8 - Flip32 + - RCX 1804 - RCX 10 Amp ESCs - GPS to be added.
(101.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSC_0053.JPG
300 size Quad modified MHQ quad design - FPV - Micro camera and 1.2 GHz Tx from ReadyMadeRC - RCX Motors
(98.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSC_0076.JPG
Two 250 size racers. Flip rate is amazing with AfroNaze boards - video to come.
(104.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ spotter6

That is looking really good! nice PH in a slight breeze. I think its come a long way from before.

@ leocopter
Those are some really neat units that you have made. you said, "a few of my 3D printed copters". That indicates you may have more units. Thats funny. Nice looking units. Are they all running Harakiri firmware?

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

DSC_0038.JPG
Part of my fleet ...
(179.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Mr-Fiero wrote:@ spotter6

That is looking really good! nice PH in a slight breeze. I think its come a long way from before.

@ leocopter
Those are some really neat units that you have made. you said, "a few of my 3D printed copters". That indicates you may have more units. Thats funny. Nice looking units. Are they all running Harakiri firmware?

Hi Mr_Fiero,

I'm afraid I got carried away with my 3D printer. I am up to 15 printed frames ... and counting :D
My first 300 size Quad fell in the lake 4 times ... and is still flying very well (I waterproof my ESCs in hot glue ...).
All my GPS copters (Quads, Hex and OctoX8) are flashed with Harakiri. The smaller 250 racers with AfroNaze boards are flashed with Baseflight. That board is so good that it recuperates its initial heading after quadruple diagonal flips ... with no mag. I have to find a way to break out 3 and 4 input pins to plug a GPS. Other copters are flashed with Cleanflight (for testing with Led strips and SoftSerial).
Now I'll experiment with r79 and your latest settings.

Regards,

Chris

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

bulesz wrote:
leocopter wrote:Hi Guys,
I really want to thank Crashpilot and MrFiero (and others too !) for their great work !
Thanks to you, I finally got PH working.
Here is a video of one of my OctoX8 flashed with Harakiri with MrFiero settings : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4QtOyQ ... e=youtu.be
The wind was at least 30 km/h with gusts of 50 +.
PH and RTH work very well. It was cloudy and I was in downtown Montreal (not to many good sats ...).
I sort of have a 'fleet' of quads, Hexs and now Octos ... (damn that 3D printer ... ;-) ). So If I can test some stuff for you let me know.
Keep up the good work ...

Hohohohooooo! Leo, I was thinking the same setup...a 250 class X8, so I will ask you about the mixer setting if you don't mind... ;)

Very nice "monamie" ;)

How's your project going ?
Here are some close ups of my OctoX8 copters.

DSC_0047.JPG
(118.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSC_0046.JPG
(120.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet

DSC_0040.JPG
(116.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Cheers,

Chris

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ leocopter

Man, those are really neat looking units you have.....It is really funny that you keep building. I have the same habit. Oh, would it be neat someday to fly in a swarm. LOL.

I do the same as you, I conformal coat everything I have. I also grease all connections with DeOX-it to give an extra layer of protection. I think the only thing at risk of water on my units is the barometer, and it would be hard to drench as its covered with foam, and has really tiny holes in it.

Nice work on the copters!

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:@ leocopter

Man, those are really neat looking units you have.....It is really funny that you keep building. I have the same habit. Oh, would it be neat someday to fly in a swarm. LOL.

I do the same as you, I conformal coat everything I have. I also grease all connections with DeOX-it to give an extra layer of protection. I think the only thing at risk of water on my units is the barometer, and it would be hard to drench as its covered with foam, and has really tiny holes in it.

Nice work on the copters!

Thanks.
May be you could post some pictures of your 'fleet' :)
My ESCs are imbedded in hot glue but I don't waterproof the rest. The Quad that went 4 times in the lake has a Flip32 (no baro) and a soldered on lemonRx. All I did is dry it. No damage.
The problem we have is that we wan't to build the perfect copter ;) ... I know I have as much pleasure building them than flying them ...

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Here's a quick video of Naze32 with HaraKiri FW on a mid-sized F450.

I did Gtune. The numbers didn't change much. Using $18 witespy GPS, didn't change anything in its config.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Who says we have to choose between PH + RTL and flipping the copter around ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsxM4PzQtRw

Harakiri : the best of both worlds ...

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Spotter6 wrote:Here's a quick video of Naze32 with HaraKiri FW on a mid-sized F450.

I did Gtune. The numbers didn't change much. Using $18 witespy GPS, didn't change anything in its config.

Nice work.....

You mean whitespy/Pauls pre-programmed GPS. they are pretty close when Paul programs the GPS's. Not bad for the price!

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Mr-Fiero wrote:Nice work.....

You mean whitespy/Pauls pre-programmed GPS. they are pretty close when Paul programs the GPS's. Not bad for the price!

Thx!

Paul also sells the clone of Naze32 ($53), the Flip32+ for $29! Flips32+ supposes to do everything as Naze32 in BF Config. I bought one :mrgreen: to try.

So now I'm wondering HaraKiri can work on Flip32+ latest edition. Going from $53 to $29 is a big deal. I guess it doesn't have to cross ocean, to get that price. Think about it, an FC plus a GPS for less than $50 ($29+$18).

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

I run all FLIP32+. I really like the boards! watch out on his pinout on the motors (previous version dont match and will short Vcc), but I always get rid of my ground and power up ESC cable anyways, and only run signal. Paul takes a while to ship, but once he does it moves fast in post. Its a high quality board as well. I have 9 FLIP32+ boards so far.

His ESC's are excellent quality. I have now come to the conclusion after using HK , RCtimer, and others, that Pauls ESC's are clean, and I have never had an issue with them. All other suppliers ESC's, have been a different experience. Try taking the heatshrink off and look at all the resin everyone else leaves in manufacture! solder joints questionable sometimes. Pauls ESC's are clear heatshrink and they are VERY clean and good builds.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:I run all FLIP32+. I really like the boards! watch out on his pinout on the motors, but I always get rid of my minus and power anyways, and only run signal. Paul takes a while to ship, but once he does it moves fast in post. Its a high quality board as well. I have 9 FLIP32+ boards so far.

His ESC's are excellent quality. I have now come to the conclusion after using HK , RCtimer, and others, that Pauls ESC's are clean, and I have never had an issue with them. All other suppliers ESC's, have been a different experience.

I also have a bunch of Flip32+ boards (and Flip32, AfroMini, AcroNaze, Naze32 ... and now CC3D ...). What I like about them is their headers (and price). When I'm not using a PPM Rx, I solder a Lemon DSM2 Rx directly to the Input header (TAER12). It makes it very compact ... and no extra wires. They also have proper headers for Rx + Tx and for I2C. Beware, you will need a signal inverter if you want FRSKY telemetry (the Naze has it built in). I still think that the sensors and board construction is a little superior on the Naze32.
As for ESCs from Witespy, the Red series (reflashed HK ESCs) and the Blue series (reflashed Mystery ESCs) are great in 12 Amp. The 20 and 30 ESCs are good also. I have problems with the 16 amp ESCs : they don't synchronize well with 2400 Kv or even 2300 Kv 1806 motors. Another very good (and cheap) vendor for low power ESCs is MyRcMart. I have tons of their cheap ESCs. No problem with them.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Thanks leocopter....was looking for a good alternative for smaller ESC's and RcMart will be worth a try. Other good info too....

Since I am trying to shave weight off my lightweight copter, I even broke down and ordered the 20Amp slims from HK.. So far so good and it shaved 18 grams from each. My first tests were last night with the new RCtimer 2212 motors that max at 20Amps, and the esc's took things better than I thought. due to weight reductions I want, I left the stock wires and they dont even get warm. So, yea, I am now at the point I am splitting hairs, looking for anything more to shave weight......yep, fun.

HK afro slim ESC
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... ware_.html

Hey, since we are on the topic of witespy's stuff........has anyone every tried these motors? Thrust seems a bit lower than usual.
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/motors ... 0-50s.html

I could shave another 40grams with these....LOL... yea thats the point I am at these days with this new build...

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:Thanks leocopter....was looking for a good alternative for smaller ESC's and RcMart will be worth a try. Other good info too....

Since I am trying to shave weight off my lightweight copter, I even broke down and ordered the 20Amp slims from HK.. So far so good and it shaved 18 grams from each. My first tests were last night with the new RCtimer 2212 motors that max at 20Amps, and the esc's took things better than I thought. due to weight reductions I want, I left the stock wires and they dont even get warm. So, yea, I am now at the point I am splitting hairs, looking for anything more to shave weight......yep, fun.

HK afro slim ESC
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... ware_.html

Hey, since we are on the topic of witespy's stuff........has anyone every tried these motors? Thrust seems a bit lower than usual.
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/motors ... 0-50s.html

I could shave another 40grams with these....LOL... yea thats the point I am at these days with this new build...

Hey Mr_F !
I have RTF House motors on a few of my 330 and 450 frames. They are very good. That's what I am using on the Flip frame a did a video with for PH. On that setup, they drive 9x4.7 props.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Perfect, good to know those motors are good! Thank you for that. Can I ask what the AUW on the 450 frame running that motor?

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:Perfect, good to know those motors are good! Thank you for that. Can I ask what the AUW on the 450 frame running that motor?

AUW is 650 g without the lipo (that is with 4x30 Amp RTF ESCs, a Flip32 plus board, 4X RTF House motors, props, GPS and FRSKY D8R Rx). :D<
The weight of the frame by itself is under 200 g.
Last edited by leocopter on Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Also the 3D microHQuadX 250 (1806 motors and 12 Amp ESCs) + GPS has a AUW of 250 g. The weight of the OctoX8 size 300 is 595 g with 8 X 1806 motors.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Good info, Gents!

Witespy is a knowledgeable seller, selecting good stuffs so you won't have to question the HW performance when trying to work on the system.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Hey, I think I am going to order these ESC's due to VERY light weight, and heatshrink them for the lightweight Harakiri X600 Project.
you just cant beat a 20Amp ESC that weighs only 4.3grams.

http://rctimer.com/product-1179.html

Any thoughts anyone?

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:Hey, I think I am going to order these ESC's due to VERY light weight, and heatshrink them for the lightweight Harakiri X600 Project.

Any thoughts anyone?

20 amps X 12 V = 240 W ... and no heatsink ?? :?:

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

I'm wondering if I can make an F450 to Pos Hold any better than this.

... using 7M GPS module.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

leocopter wrote:
Mr-Fiero wrote:Hey, I think I am going to order these ESC's due to VERY light weight, and heatshrink them for the lightweight Harakiri X600 Project.

Any thoughts anyone?

20 amps X 12 V = 240 W ... and no heatsink ?? :?:

Yea, its weird for sure. The Afro slims I am testing right now with 2212 920Kv motors only get slightly warm, and that was testing semi aggressively, and they have no heat sinks either! Last night I was trying very hard to wreck the Afro's. Testing. I am over-propped as well with 11x5 CF.

The heat sink's on normal ESC's sucks any ways. one side is usually only for the BEC, and the other side is sitting on-top of heat sink tape, with a heat shrink cover. I think they are almost useless. If the FET's are good quality, just maybe these little guys might work. Heat is usually only generated from inefficiencies so maybe these are pretty good.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Spotter6 wrote:I'm wondering if I can make an F450 to Pos Hold any better than this.

... using 7M GPS module.

Hi Spotter,

that is looking very good. Do you see a big difference between Neo 6 and Neo 7 ?

RS2K

Post by RS2K »

I know that harakiri is more geared for using GPS on a Naze32, but when I toyed around with harakiri a few weeks ago I was really impressed with how locked in the yaw axis felt when compared to baseflight. I'd like to get that locked in feeling back on my 3D capable quad. Does harakiri support inverted flight with reversible escs?

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Holy cow, My large 60Amp Plasma CNC cut me a lightweight vibration dampener for the lightweight multicopter project. It turned out not too bad, considering how light, and how small it is. I used 6061 aluminium to make it. I only had a 50Amp tip 1mm and could not find any smaller ones. I think I got really lucky.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

leocopter wrote:
Hi Spotter,

that is looking very good. Do you see a big difference between Neo 6 and Neo 7 ?

PIDs are the same as the previous video (last frame of video). No change, other than moving from 6 to 7, with exact same configuration.

I was amazed at the difference. Price wise, you're talking from $14 to $22. LOL

We haven't seen CrashPilot1000 around lately. but it seems to me this R79 HaraKiri is quite close to be very good. We just need GUI & CLI tool, i think.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:Holy cow, My large 60Amp Plasma CNC cut me a lightweight vibration dampener for the lightweight multicopter project. It turned out not too bad, considering how light, and how small it is. I used 6061 aluminium to make it. I only had a 50Amp tip 1mm and could not find any smaller ones. I think I got really lucky.

Nice ! ... a Plasma CNC ? ... who's the lucky bugger now ! Can you send me some info about it ? (it would nicely complement my two 3D printers ... ;) ).

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Spotter6 wrote:
leocopter wrote:
Hi Spotter,

PIDs are the same as the previous video (last frame of video). No change, other than moving from 6 to 7, with exact same configuration.

I was amazed at the difference. Price wise, you're talking from $14 to $22. LOL

We haven't seen CrashPilot1000 around lately. but it seems to me this R79 HaraKiri is quite close to be very good. We just need GUI & CLI tool, i think.

I vote for the better GUI. The new one for Baseflight is nice. Harakiri would have to use the more recent code base for that (a lot of work no doubt) ... or Cleanflight could incorporate Harakiri's GPS routines.
Are you using Mr-Fiero's GPS settings on the Neo 7 or the ones from your Witespy GPS ?

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ leocopter

Yea, about the Plasma CNC, it was built with %90 salvage parts. It can cut 48"x48". Not really for anything small, and even worse not for aluminium parts. The frame for the machine was built from salvage metal from Quad racks, when they ship the quads (from Honda). The motors are 280oz from Ebay. The plasma cutter was from aliexpress. The table has v-cut bearings that ride on right angle steel for the linear slides. (I am a cheapo). The computer, screen, and all misc was from salvaged parts. Once the screen was fixed, I bought a touch screen kit for 17", and its supported with a swivel monitor bracket. The software is Mach3 that runs the CNC board from Ebay. It has loading resistors as I run the motors hard (high voltage). The screws I found that the construction industry has Acme rods and nuts that work well (hard to find a straight one).

Its a cheap machine, but it just works. Once I had everything calibrated, it keeps on working every time. My machine is better suited for larger jobs, and when I made that part the other night, its kinda like killing a ant with a truck. Atleast it felt like that.....lol. In the picture its cutting a piece of stainless steel.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Well, I am weight challenged now on the new Harakiri X600 project. Its sitting at 780grams without battery. Still not too bad considering its size but now its VERY hard to try to get it back down to the 700 mark. I am splitting hairs big time. The added weight from 700, was because I added everything for FPV.

Hopefully tonight I can run it with G-Tune for a while and see how it does. The other night I was just hovering in PH for 4 batteries, and it was rock solid. Now to tweak up the params before my 18650 batteries arrive. Weather permitting.......

@ Crashpilot1000

I noticed something the other night. I got hung up in a tree (minor incident, battery was low) while is stabilize mode. The multicopter was hanging so it was 90 degrees. The motors started spinning at %60-80% probably trying to recover, but I could not stop them. Tried switching modes, throttle, everything and it just kept spinning. I had to disconnect the battery as nothing else would work. Is this normal for Harakiri. I realize you do not disarm while inverted, but could this be a consequence of that?

Would it be better to consider an ARM switch to always be able to dis-arm no matter what condition? If it was intended to work that way, its glitched, at least for me it would not dis-arm.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

leocopter wrote:....
Are you using Mr-Fiero's GPS settings on the Neo 7 or the ones from your Witespy GPS ?

Actually, no. I left Mr-Fiero's config on the F330 which has Neo6 with an active antenna. It grabs SVs a lot quicker than he warned us.

On Neo7, I disabled SBAS, chose pedestrian mode, UBX comm @ 115200, 10hz refresh rate, use UART rather than SPI, chose 10 degree min elevation since the houses around where I test fly block all of the horizon view anyway. That's essentially all.

dopplerguru

Post by dopplerguru »

Hello Mr-Fiero, I have also had cases where the copter would not respond to radio commands, so per Robs info I enabled armswitch and Setting rc_killt = 200 will set the Armswitch to be a Killswitch. "200" means the Armswitch must be set to off for at least 200 ms in a row. Now turning the arm switch off stops the copter no matter what its situation. When armswitch is turned off copter totally shuts down. This has saved me props, motors and escs when copter gets stuck in a tree, or crashes. I use the little KISS escs and they tend to blow fets if motors stay running after a crash, so enabling armswitch to be kill switch stopped the esc failure problem.

Thanks for your info on GPS. I am using neo8 with 35 mm antenna and ph/rth work great.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

@Mr-Fiero, That's an awesome set up with the CNC machine. That's very cool capability to have. Lots of projects.

I've an D4R-II for a couple of days now. Been testing it out. OUtput CPPM goes straight to the FC. At close range, I'm getting RSSI over 100dB... not used to that.

In any case, I'm connecting telemetry output pins (TX, Gnd) to D4R-II's (Rx, Gnd). But I'm not getting any Vfas or GPS reading on Taranis as yet.
HaraKiri doesn't have "feature telemetry", does it ?

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ dopplerguru

Thank You very much for the tip for the rc_killt setting! I am going to do that right away. I really appreciate the tip.

I am also happy to hear you have your GPS working well on your projects.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ Spotter6
I dont have a taranis, but if its like the TH9XR dont you have to invert? I could be wrong, but I thought it needed a mod. Also. go into cli and do a dump in Harakiri. The telemetry can be set to different types.

I have not yet done telemetry on my RC TX, so I am not the best person to offer advice. If anyone can help Spotter6, please do. I am also curious as very soon I will get the 9XR radio working to do telemetry.

tomm

Post by tomm »

in harakiri it's called tele_prot=1 for frsky-telemetry. data is send after arming and you will need the inverter. i have the same setup with d4r.
if you can read german or understand google translate :), there is thread with some more information http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php?22307-TELEMETRIE-am-NAZE32&p=658413&viewfull=1#post658413.
example for the inverter circuit is http://electronicsclub.info/transistorcircuits.htm#inverter.
and a nice picture of working solution is here http://electronicsclub.info/transistorcircuits.htm#inverter
i still hope that rob will add "number of satellites" to the frsky protokoll one day, this would be nice to have on the th9x.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:@ Spotter6
I dont have a taranis, but if its like the TH9XR dont you have to invert? I could be wrong, but I thought it needed a mod. Also. go into cli and do a dump in Harakiri. The telemetry can be set to different types.

I have not yet done telemetry on my RC TX, so I am not the best person to offer advice. If anyone can help Spotter6, please do. I am also curious as very soon I will get the 9XR radio working to do telemetry.

From what I understand Naze32 rev 5 has a built-in inverter but not Flip32.

AbuseMark (timecop) sells an inverter kit (SMD components : 1 transistor and 2 resistors) for a truly tiny circuit.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Yes, here's the doc on tele_prot:
-----------------
cfg.tele_prot = 0; // Protocol ONLY used when Armed including Baudchange if necessary. 0 (Dfault)=Keep Multiwii @CurrentUSB Baud, 1=Frsky @9600Baud, 2=Mavlink @CurrentUSB Baud, 3=Mavlink @57KBaud (like stock minimOSD wants it)
-----------------

Set tele_prot = 1 ; this works.

No inverter necessary. Data flows only when ARM'd and stops when unARM'd. I got GPS coordinates, Vfas, Ifas displayed...

A little nugget for you guys:
GPS module had been slow to SV acquisition. Very slow, sometimes past 5 min mark to get first SV lock !!!!! Previously with the same system, it was about 30sec (and I was chosey on SV elevation). The only difference was that I changed the RX. Previous system (the fast GPS one) ran with L9R, FrSky's long range receiver which has NO TELEMETRY.

The slow GPS system has D4R-II which has TELEMETRY, actually should be called "D4R transceiver". Suspecting interference, I move D4R further away from rest of electronics. Time improved! Someone else confirmed GPS freq interference with D4R (and also on X8R), saying that's a known issue. So I proceeded to wrap D4R in copper foil using masking tape as dielectric. Guess what??? It is back almost same as the fast system set up. Need to ground the foil, I think.

Moral of the story. The D4R interfered with GPS signal. You'd do well if you RF-isolate it.

franko_

Post by franko_ »

Hi,

i fly crashpilot´s latest release, it flies awesome but i wish to enable more braking after stick release.
Which parameter causes more acc brake.. (see only GPS_ACC brake).
My copter is drifting after stick release and i wish to have less drift after stick release.

Hope someone could help me..

Thx and BR
Frank

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Succes. I have FRSKY telemetry working on Flip32+. It requires an inverter (a logical NOT gate built with one low power NPN and 2 resistors). As I stated earlier Naze32 Rev 5 has it built in the FRSKY port. Now I have voltage, rssi, alt, hdg, gps coordinates etc. on my Taranis with audible alerts for low battery and critical battery and switchable audio messages for voltage, alt and distance ... :mrgreen:
Last edited by leocopter on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

RS2K wrote:I know that harakiri is more geared for using GPS on a Naze32, but when I toyed around with harakiri a few weeks ago I was really impressed with how locked in the yaw axis felt when compared to baseflight. I'd like to get that locked in feeling back on my 3D capable quad. Does harakiri support inverted flight with reversible escs?

Can you give us the specs for your 3D quad ?

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

franko_ wrote:Hi,

i fly crashpilot´s latest release, it flies awesome but i wish to enable more braking after stick release.
Which parameter causes more acc brake.. (see only GPS_ACC brake).
My copter is drifting after stick release and i wish to have less drift after stick release.

Hope someone could help me..

Thx and BR
Frank

If you are talking about braking while flying in PH, a good place to start are Mr-Fiero's settings on page 22 :

gps_ph_settlespeed = 200
gps_maxangle = 35
gps_ph_brakemaxangle = 20
gps_ph_minbrakepercent = 50
gps_ph_brkacc = 40

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Hi guys,

I have 2 questions for you (and for CrashPilot) :

1- if fs_ddplt is set to 5 for example, will it RTL after 5 secs of inactivity on the sticks EVEN in GPS HOLD ?
2- if rc_killt is set to a value other than 0, will it shutdown the FC if Failsafe is activated and the receiver has been put in failsafe mode with the ARM switch OFF ? That could be a problem because if Motor_spin is enabled (like on all my acrobatic copters) and you have to set the receiver failsafe (for RTL for example) with the ARM switch ON ... the props will turn even when the transmiter is OFF ... not a good idea.

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

Mr-Fiero wrote:So, shaving more weight if i can, and loading it up with 18650 Panasonic 3400mah cells x 12. 3S x 4 wich will give me 13600mah but the battery pack is 580g. Having 4 in paralell should also give me 32Amps drain ability. but this will bring my AUW to 1380g (hopefully less) wich is still less than my other units. I figure i will get 30 minutes easy, but how much really should be interesting! Those new panasonic batteries are almost double power density to anything else available today. Should be an interesting test. My real pain, is waiting for the mail.......nasty. Lets see how Gtune handles this unit when I am ready.

I would assume that since your Copter is draining with about 147 Watt, your 18650 3s4p configuration could give you between 42 and 54 minutes of flighttime. The latter assuming that the NCR18650B will give you 3Ah capacity like in all those online tests, the former assuming it gives 2,3Ah capacity like some people experienced in real world flying. Not taking into account that the 18650 batpack will probably weight 120g more than the old battery. You might want to consider using an alternate 18650 cell, as the above assumes 1C discharge overall, the 18650B is not really made to handle much higher load. Also you need to take into account that these cell are averaging somewhere around 3,5v and have an ending voltage of 3,0v (or lower).
I am interested on how your 3s4p config is working out... looking forward to reading your results and thanks for sharing. Another interesting LiIo cell is also the LG INR18650MH1 with its 3Ah capacity and 3C discharge.

And it's a cool Plasma CNC indeed :)

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ Bamfax

Thanks for the thoughts about the copter batteries. I will indeed check those LG batteries out. I am worried about the drain rate on the panasonics. I will probably test with them, and if they dont survive its just part of the trial. You are bang on with your guesstimates! for everything.

Well, I have shaved the copter down to 700grams again. I quickly built a motor tester for thrust and decided that lighter motors 40g, 775kv @ 1amp 10.8V had 16grams more thrust that my current motors (167 grams thrust), changed them and lost another 40grams total weight. BUT, ran into afro slims esc's loosing timing to the motors. Tried reflashing, and lost them do to wrong firmwares. now i have to wait for an adapter that HK had that sits on top of the atmega and plugs into a usbasp for recovery.

Sooooo, project is on hold for a few weeks. always painfull.

Anyways, before I got stuck, I was flying with one 2200mah on the multicopter and it used 1793mah only for ten minutes! not bad. (need to run more tests as this number was un-believable) AUW was 900grams with that battery. X600CF 775kv motors from witespy, afro esc's from HK, Flip32+, Neo6GPS with 35mm, bluetooth HC06, 1.2GHz TX, micro HD cam, Power dist with BEC, 12x5 CF props.

I think tomorrow I'll fly the junker! should be fun.

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

Mr-Fiero wrote:@ Bamfax

Thanks for the thoughts about the copter batteries. I will indeed check those LG batteries out. I am worried about the drain rate on the panasonics. I will probably test with them, and if they dont survive its just part of the trial. You are bang on with your guesstimates! for everything.

I need to return that, it's always an interesting chat with you.

Mr-Fiero wrote:Well, I have shaved the copter down to 700grams again. I quickly built a motor tester for thrust and decided that lighter motors 40g, 775kv @ 1amp 10.8V had 16grams more thrust that my current motors (167 grams thrust), changed them and lost another 40grams total weight.

That's a lot of weight you saved there. What props in what size and which motors are you using? 700g with fpv is pretty darn light, I can imagine how much work you put into that. These motors you found sound very interesting. Judging from your kv's, you are using somewhere around 11-13'' sized props? The props can also make a huge difference on the flight time. "hornetwl" on fpv-community.de did do some good prop shape explanations. For that size range the aeronaut "camcarbon light" did look quite good. We did some prop testing, unfortunately not really on that size range, using this propbench: .

I once had a quick testrun for the 11-13 range. These axis show thrust on X axis and efficiency on the Y axis:

http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php?44241-Prop-Antriebseffizienz-messen-und-vergleichen-Welcher-Prop-welcher-Antrieb&p=585119&viewfull=1#post585119

Mr-Fiero wrote:BUT, ran into afro slims esc's loosing timing to the motors. Tried reflashing, and lost them do to wrong firmwares. now i have to wait for an adapter that HK had that sits on top of the atmega and plugs into a usbasp for recovery. Sooooo, project is on hold for a few weeks. always painfull.

Do it the old school voodoo way? :-)

Mr-Fiero wrote:Anyways, before I got stuck, I was flying with one 2200mah on the multicopter and it used 1793mah only for ten minutes! not bad. (need to run more tests as this number was un-believable) AUW was 900grams with that battery. X600CF 775kv motors from witespy, afro esc's from HK, Flip32+, Neo6GPS with 35mm, bluetooth HC06, 1.2GHz TX, micro HD cam, Power dist with BEC, 12x5 CF props.

These are good numbers and I would say they are indeed believable. There is still a lot of room in propulsion effiency. I think there needs to be more research in the copter size yours is in, with medium sized props and 3s or 4s batteries, as a medium sized copter is just more of everyday value.
Attachments
10-12erKlasse_Primer.png
Last edited by Bamfax on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ Bamfax...

Thanks for the link. I always like looking into more information.

I have to stay with the 12" prop because any larger in my area is way too sluggish due to wind. 12" will be pushing it for size. I am also trying to stay within the 3S setup because if you look into efficiencies of motors, lower voltage is more efficiency, but doing that its a trade-off from power. 3S is a good relm to play in. Anyways, I am regretting building the unit 600 in size. now I know what more stable really means. Yes its more stable, but it is not as responsive. I think next build I will build an ultra light 400 in size(should be easier). Lesson learned. I could however fit VERY large props on it right now, so maybe it will always be my test unit. Dont get me wrong, it flies nice, but in my area with all my wind its always good to have the copter very sensitive and responsive.

You are right about trying to find more weight savings being difficult. Once you pass a certain point, its all splitting hairs and its allot of work for extra grams to be saved.

Current config for this Harakiri lightweight unit
homemade center block 6061 aluminum - 40mm x 40mm
12mm CF tubes
afro slim esc's
FLIP32+
witespy 775 kv http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/motors ... 8775m.html
12x5 props CF http://rctimer.com/product-926.html
x450 landing gear, with custom motor mounts.
OpenLRSng RX
1.2GHz lawmate
small cctv camera http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Mini-CCTV-Ca ... 27edc1cffa

As soon as I get this little gem, https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... duct=27195
I can flash my ESC's again and continue testing.

You know, while the ESC;s were missing the timings, I did not know at first what it was, and it was hard to fly. Gtune was fighting it big time, and I just could not figure out why even manual PID adjustments were not helping. Gtune however, did bring it into settings quickly that were able to fly reasonably well.

Oh, hey, Bamfax, love the devorssi even more!!! I never noticed till today, but my signal strength on my OSD was working! Love it! It has never worked, untill I enabled devorssi. maybe its also related to the fact I programmed the OpenLRSng to output RSSI PPM on CH9 . you said it did not have much function, but it does for me. MAVLINK must of had it. Also, I am still running the devorssi set to AUX5 LOW to activate RTL. I am just leaving it setup like that to see if it ever gets in the way. So far all my testing, its worked pretty good.