Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

leocopter

Re: Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by leocopter »

Spotter6 wrote:That would work very well.

The main issue with Naze, and copies, is that it's just a board. No housing like a box, to copper shield over.

I'd prefer copper tape if I've a frame to tape it over. Copper screen is much more rigid so it's better to build a box with it. However, it is heavier. My rule of thumb is Every 80gr of weight will cost me 1 minute of flight, other things held constant. Copper tape is the better choice of material to keep it light.

When available I'll print a 3D case or buy one ... Nothing good is available for Flip32, but there are plenty of good cases for Naze32 and CC3D.

* I've been toying with the Air Hero32. It has a full metal case : very clean. Gyro and ACC on the SPI ... so very fast flipping. It's flashed with BF ... I didn't try Harakiri on it. For the limitations : hardware is I2C ready on the Flex port but no patch on the software side (a pity 'cause its available on Open Pilot/TauLabs)

I hacked the Air Hero32 to read the lipo voltage and installed FRSKY telemetry : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD2L8Sr7iyw

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Hi !
Did someone fly with the last TestCode3 R87 .
I am still using SG2.5 and don't know where is this " LONG STANDING MONSTERBUG IN MAINLOOP DELETED " ???

Regards hinkel

pjman

Post by pjman »

Has anyone done a guide to flashing Hari to the Naze32? I had a look at it a number of months ago but the info was very vague - I'm keen to try it.

thanks

Brenden

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

pjman wrote:Has anyone done a guide to flashing Hari to the Naze32? I had a look at it a number of months ago but the info was very vague - I'm keen to try it.

thanks

Brenden

Hi,
you flash Harakiri using the STMicroelectronics Flash Loader demonstrator.

1- short the boot pads while powering up the board = The blue LED will stay on.
2. Run Flash Loader Demonstrator
3. Choose COM port, baudrate of 115200, make sure parity is set to EVEN.
4. Click “Next” button several times. When asked to choose device size, if 128K is not
selected, choose it.
5. On the last page (see Fig 7 Flash Loader), choose:
- Download to device.
- Browse to the location of .hex file to update.
- Choose “Erase necessary pages” to keep settings (firmware may still clear them) or
“Global Erase” to erase all settings and return to defaults.
- Check “Jump to user program” checkbox.
- Uncheck “Verify after download” checkbox.
6. Click the “Next” button.

(These steps are from the Naze32 manual available at Abusemark).

Connect to the board with Multiwii Gui V2.2 (not 2.3) and set your PIDs, settings, etc..

pjman

Post by pjman »

Thankyou very much. I'll put this on a test quad tomorrow and play.

Brenden

pjman

Post by pjman »

So I managed to flash Hara and get flying - it actually flies very nicely out of the box. Question is - did PH work????

Nope :(

I'm running a 450 size quad with 800kv motors and 10" props on a 4s battery - all up weight is 1139 grams - reasonably light but there is no camera gear on it at the moment so I can test.

I remembered to change the PIDS to ...
ALT (18.0, 0.080, 20)
PosH (.21, 0.45, --- )
PosR (6.5, 0 , 0.100)
NavR (1.5, 0, 0)
Level (11.0, 0.1, 50)
Mag (9.0, -, - )

but forgot to change
With GPS_lag =500, gps_expo=5, esc_pwm =495, looptime =2021, GPS refresh to 10hz and pedestrian mode UBX 115200 with no sbas.

I'll make those changes and test tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KsZDBj ... e=youtu.be

pjman

Post by pjman »

So I made the above changes and there is no difference in the PH performance. Can anyone help with a tuning methodology? For instance - tune x first and then y etc? I have no idea where to start with this. the r33-documentation.pdf explains a lot of the functions but not the order to tune in.

Thanks

pjman

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

what's the problem? I got PH really tight on my 450 and my 350 right out of the box.
Do you get gps lock? Count the red led blinks. you need a minimum of 6 sats = 2 blinks

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

Just out of curiosity, originally Crash indicated that GUI 2.3 would work with Harakiri. Did that change? Or was it stated by mistake? I've tried, only because I was curious, but no luck.... Back to 2.2.

Also, is the easiest way to revert to the default PID's just to reflash the board?

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

there is a command to restore to default settings. Its described in the start screen after you done the ###.

pjman

Post by pjman »

I reckon it must be a mag issue as its buried on the naze near all the noise. I'll upgrade to something different I reckon.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

I just flashed my quad a couple days ago. I actually didn't try to fly on the default values. I instead jumped to the PID values and other set points that pjman had posted above as a copy from the previous page. I shouldn't have. It flew very poorly on my setup. Too touchy, and the Horizon mode performed poorly. GPS also didn't work well.

I defaulted the PID's and other GPS setpoints. Everything works great now, although it was drizzling today and didn't get to try a RTL or autoland.

pjman

Post by pjman »

I'll give that a crack. Failing that I'll get creative with the FC (mount it high) and see if it makes a difference.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

This may not be the place to ask the question, but being that I'm using Harakiri, here goes...

Now that everything seems to be working properly, when I engage PH and let go of the sticks, the altitude seems to drop until I get close to the ground, at which point I add throttle and get it to maintain altitude after that correction.

I'm assuming that this is operator error at this point. It's been raining off and on and have only gotten a few test flights in. I need to get a stable hover BEFORE I engage PH or Baro, correct? I may be climbing up to altitude, then pulling back the throttle as I engage the PH. Should the altitude PID correct for my pulling back of the throttle (if it's what I'm doing?), or is it responding correctly?

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

Hi people,

I red a lot here and also learned a lot. I've put all my hoppe in the harakiri, because I had bad experience with baseflight and gps. So after a lot of reading I managed to flsh my board and put harakiri testcode 3, then I managed to spinn the motors and then I made my test flight. Wich was a greate feeling!

So after a while and a lot of insecurity, I played with gps hold and gps home switch, wich seamed to work. Then my gps hold changed position, so my opter started to drift somewhere and after I switched off all kind of gps and I was flying in angle mode, my copter fliped upside down without doing nothing. Now I'm scared to fly because I do not trust the Harakiri anymore.

An other issue is the baro, if I put the throttle in the middle the copter climbe up and if I lower the throttle it almost felt, so with baro on I have a up and down movement wich is not normal because it jumps always about one or two meter up and down.

here is my code you me see something not right:

Code: Select all

Config:
FW: HarakiriSG pre2.6 TestCode3Sep 11 2014 / 23:05:21
ID|AUXCHAN : 01   02   03   04 
00|ANGLE   : ---  L--  ---  ---
01|HORIZON : ---  -M-  ---  ---
02|BARO    : ---  ---  -M-  ---
03|MAG     : ---  ---  --H  ---
04|CAMSTAB : ---  ---  ---  ---
05|ARM     : --H  ---  ---  ---
06|GPS HOME: ---  ---  ---  --H
07|GPS HOLD: ---  ---  ---  -M-
08|GPS AUTO: ---  ---  ---  ---
09|PASSTHRU: ---  ---  ---  ---
10|HEADFREE: ---  ---  ---  ---
11|BEEPER  : ---  ---  ---  ---
12|HEADADJ : ---  ---  ---  ---
13|OSD SW  : ---  ---  ---  ---
14|GTUNE   : ---  ---  ---  ---
Current mixer: QUADX
Custom mixer:
Motor.Thr.Roll.Pitch.Yaw
Sanity check:.OK.OK.OK.
Enabled features: PPM VBAT GPS FAILSAFE
Current assignment: AETR1234
Current settings:
rc_db = 20
rc_dbyw = 20
rc_dbah = 50
rc_dbgps = 5
rc_trm_rll =  0.000
rc_trm_ptch =  0.000
rc_minchk = 1100
rc_mid = 1500
rc_maxchk = 1900
rc_lowlat = 1
rc_rllrm = 0
rc_killt = 200
rc_flpsp = 1
rc_motor = 2
rc_auxch = 4
rc_rate = 100
rc_expo = 80
thr_mid = 50
thr_expo = 0
roll_pitch_rate = 0
yawrate = 0
rc_oldyw = 0
devorssi = 0
rssicut = 0
gt_loP_rll = 20
gt_loP_ptch = 20
gt_loP_yw = 20
gt_hiP_rll = 70
gt_hiP_ptch = 70
gt_hiP_yw = 70
gt_pwr = 0
esc_min = 1100
esc_max = 1950
esc_nfly = 1300
esc_nwmx = 1
esc_moff = 1000
esc_pwm = 400
srv_pwm = 50
pass_mot = 0
fs_delay = 10
fs_ofdel = 200
fs_rcthr = 1200
fs_ddplt = 0
fs_jstph = 0
fs_nosnr = 1
serial_baudrate = 115200
tele_prot = 0
spektrum_hires = 0
vbatscale = 110
vbatmaxcellvoltage = 43
vbatmincellvoltage = 33
power_adc_channel = 0
tri_ydir = 1
tri_ymid = 1500
tri_ymin = 1020
tri_ymax = 2000
tri_ydel = 0
wing_left_min = 1020
wing_left_mid = 1500
wing_left_max = 2000
wing_right_min = 1020
wing_right_mid = 1500
wing_right_max = 2000
pitch_direction_l = 1
pitch_direction_r = -1
roll_direction_l = 1
roll_direction_r = 1
gbl_flg = 1
gbl_pgn = 10
gbl_rgn = 10
gbl_pmn = 1020
gbl_pmx = 2000
gbl_pmd = 1500
gbl_rmn = 1020
gbl_rmx = 2000
gbl_rmd = 1500
al_barolr = 50
al_snrlr = 50
al_debounce = 5
al_tobaro = 2000
al_tosnr = 1000
as_lnchr = 200
as_clmbr = 100
as_trgt = 0
as_stdev = 10
align_gyro_x = 0
align_gyro_y = 0
align_gyro_z = 0
align_acc_x = 0
align_acc_y = 0
align_acc_z = 0
align_mag_x = 0
align_mag_y = 0
align_mag_z = 0
align_board_yaw = 0
acc_hdw = 2
acc_lpfhz =  10.000
acc_altlpfhz = 10
acc_gpslpfhz = 15
gy_lpf = 42
gy_gcmpf = 700
gy_mcmpf = 200
gy_smrll = 0
gy_smptc = 0
gy_smyw = 0
gy_stdev = 5
accz_vcf =  0.985
accz_acf =  0.960
bar_lag =  0.300
bar_dscl =  0.700
bar_dbg = 0
mag_dec = 144
mag_time = 1
mag_gain = 0
gps_baudrate = 115200
gps_type = 1
gps_ins_vel =  0.600
gps_lag = 2000
gps_ph_minsat = 6
gps_expo = 20
gps_ph_settlespeed = 10
gps_maxangle = 35
gps_ph_brakemaxangle = 15
gps_ph_minbrakepercent = 50
gps_ph_brkacc = 40
gps_wp_radius = 200
rtl_mnh = 0
rtl_cr = 80
rtl_mnd = 0
gps_rtl_flyaway = 0
gps_yaw = 30
nav_rtl_lastturn = 1
nav_speed_min = 100
nav_speed_max = 350
nav_approachdiv = 3
nav_tiltcomp = 30
nav_ctrkgain =  0.500
nav_controls_heading = 0
nav_tail_first = 0
stat_clear = 1
gps_pos_p = 10
gps_pos_i = 40
gps_pos_d = 0
gps_posr_p = 70
gps_posr_i = 0
gps_posr_d = 100
gps_nav_p = 15
gps_nav_i = 0
gps_nav_d = 0
looptime = 3000
mainpidctrl = 0
maincuthz = 12
gpscuthz = 45
p_pitch = 35
i_pitch = 30
d_pitch = 30
p_roll = 35
i_roll = 30
d_roll = 30
p_yaw = 60
i_yaw = 45
d_yaw = 0
p_alt = 100
i_alt = 30
d_alt = 80
p_level = 70
i_level = 10
d_level = 50
snr_type = 3
snr_min = 30
snr_max = 200
snr_dbg = 0
snr_tilt = 18
snr_cf =  0.500
snr_diff = 0
snr_land = 1
LED_invert = 0
LED_Type = 1
LED_pinout = 1
LED_ControlChannel = 8
LED_ARMED = 0
LED_Toggle_Delay1 = 8
LED_Toggle_Delay2 = 8
LED_Toggle_Delay3 = 8
LED_Pattern1 = 1300
LED_Pattern2 = 1800
LED_Pattern3 = 1900

Thanks for your help!

my setup is: simonK 30A esc
http://multicoptershop.ch/simonk/Standa ... 30A-regler

motors

battery a 3s 2,2 mah

and my rc is a taranis with a x8r reciever

the fc board is a naze32 with als sensors except of sonar

and the gps
Last edited by sn0west on Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

It could be so many more things than the software.
Like hove many satellites did you connect to?
Mag interference
Out of range

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

Your motors and GPS look a lot like SimonK ESC's.... :lol:

I would check for interference with the Mag and make sure that your GPS lock is good.

I get a bit of drift during PH in gusty winds, and my altitude hold isn't 100% just yet, but other than that, it's pretty good out of the box. The altitude hold seems really dependent on the location of the throttle, and generally needs adjusted slightly once engaged.

Can anyone tell me; Does the RTH need both MAG and BARO selected with it? I assume yes. And haven't had a calm day to test it yet. When I tested it yesterday in 20-25 mph winds, it headed in a direction I didn't expect and I aborted before it moved too far.

What should I expect when engaging RTH?

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

My 450 didn't do well whit RTH (RTL) and wind when I whas on defult settings It just flued whit the wind.
What i did whas setting nav_tiltcomp=40 insted of 30. I got a superfast RTH so it whas a bit scarry. My cure for the speed whas simply lowering the nav_speed_max to a more pleasing speed.
Now I am no expert at this but tre batteries of testing tells me I am on the right track.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

I could try that if it continues to be an issue, but if the Nav tilt is in degrees (as in 30 degrees max), there's no way that I was tilted that far. I need to do some more testing and research.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ sn0west

If I could jump in here, I think you lost your lock for sure on the GPS.

I think when you mention being in angle mode, maybe you want to set to also have ANGLE enabled while the PH, and also for your flight mode when not using GPS. I noticed in your config that it was not enabled in PH, so once you loose lock, you will be flying with no stabilize. That can be surprising if you are using PH, and loose lock.

Loosing lock for GPS would indicate less than ideal conditions, or setup on GPS. Might want to look at that.

Your GPS expo might be a bit high from what I usually find works in wind, but you will sort our your tuning I am sure.

Harakiri is not to blame, its simply setup issue I believe.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Hey, there is a manual for FLIP32+ on the web now....I know some wont need it, but here is a link for anyone who does.

http://www.dronetrest.com/uploads/db529 ... 450b71.pdf

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Litneon wrote:I could try that if it continues to be an issue, but if the Nav tilt is in degrees (as in 30 degrees max), there's no way that I was tilted that far. I need to do some more testing and research.

I found gps_maxangle to work for me when my wind was strong enough to push my unit in the wrong direction while in RTL. I now have it set to 45 and have not had an issue with reasonable winds.

I am interested in your settings/testing and if you will get them to work in a windy environment. I have wanted my RTL to be faster while contending with wind, but it was not something I have worked on yet myself. I have been very absorbed in design/testing, and building a large 3D printer. (Thanks Leocopter, LOL) Soon I will be back into the Test stage and flying again. Probably within the next two weeks, so I am going put the RTL speed issue on my list of things to do.

Keep us posted of your results.

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

Litneon wrote:Your motors and GPS look a lot like SimonK ESC's.... :lol:

Oops, here are the motors
http://multicoptershop.ch/brushlessmoto ... toren.html

and here the gps
http://rctimer.com/product-1165.html

I did not know that I need to cover the baro on the Naze32 board. I will try that and hope to get better result in Position hold and rtl.

I was wondering if this gps modul also works with harakiri and if it gives me better position hold?
http://www.virtualrobotix.it/index.php/ ... x-8-detail

or thisone

http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=173

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

One more post for anyone who is interested, I found someone on the web discussing mag alignment, so I am going to post it here incase someone needs it... credit goes to cloidnerux

You Look in the BaseflightGUI of cGiesen ( BaseflightGUI .) under real-time data, the values ​​of the MAG The Z-value (the lowest) should not be affected great if you turn the copter or moved. The X value ( the top) should be greater when in flight direction tilts the copter to the right and lower (negative) if you tilt it to the left. The Y-value should be greater if you tip the copter forward and less when it backwards tilts. If it is not, so you have to change the alignment. There are the parameters align_mag_x, align_mag_y and align_mag_z. These parameters have to be set to 1, 2 or 3, but no two the same value! With 1, 2 . or 3 to select the source for the MAG values ​​If a value is inverted, so the X value is greater if you tilt to the left, so you have a - put before the value. A configuration may look like this:

Code:
align_mag_x = -2
align_mag_y = 1
align_mag_z = 3

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

Mr-Fiero wrote:@ sn0west

I think when you mention being in angle mode, maybe you want to set to also have ANGLE enabled while the PH, and also for your flight mode when not using GPS. I noticed in your config that it was not enabled in PH, so once you loose lock, you will be flying with no stabilize. That can be surprising if you are using PH, and loose lock.

Loosing lock for GPS would indicate less than ideal conditions, or setup on GPS. Might want to look at that.

Your GPS expo might be a bit high from what I usually find works in wind, but you will sort our your tuning I am sure.

Hi Mr-Fiero,

thanks for your answere.
I agree with you, this might be an user falty issue or a setup issue. I did not change much to the testcode 3 as you can see on my dump.

I was definitly in "only" angle mode when the copter fliped over, it's the same as this user had
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3524&start=460#p44803

The weather was cloudless and no wind and I had at least 2quick red blinking light and one secon waiting. So this must be more than 6 or 7 sats, right?

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ sn0west
Your settings below have ANGLE only on L on 02.
from your config, HORIZON,BARO,GPS HOLD are active on M
so maybe ANGLE,BARO,MAG,GPS HOLD for PH, with switch at M would be better?

OK, the more I stare at your setup, I see what you are doing, its just wierd because flight modes, its accross all channels...anyways it still stands to have ANGLE,BARO,MAG,GPS HOLD for PH. I woulnt have a separate channel that can switch ANGLE, or HORIZON myself. I dont know what happens if both are active at once, I have never done that.

Your settings
W: HarakiriSG pre2.6 TestCode3Sep 11 2014 / 23:05:21
ID|AUXCHAN : 01 02 03 04
00|ANGLE : --- L-- --- ---
01|HORIZON : --- -M- --- ---
02|BARO : --- --- -M- ---
03|MAG : --- --- --H ---
04|CAMSTAB : --- --- --- ---
05|ARM : --H --- --- ---
06|GPS HOME: --- --- --- --H
07|GPS HOLD: --- --- --- -M-
08|GPS AUTO: --- --- --- ---
09|PASSTHRU: --- --- --- ---
10|HEADFREE: --- --- --- ---
11|BEEPER : --- --- --- ---
12|HEADADJ : --- --- --- ---
13|OSD SW : --- --- --- ---
14|GTUNE : --- --- --- ---

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

My setup

FW: HarakiriSG pre2.6 TestCode3Aug 20 2014 / 23:19:31
ID|AUXCHAN : 01   02   03   04   05
00|ANGLE   : LMH  ---  ---  --H  ---
01|HORIZON : ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
02|BARO    : -MH  ---  ---  --H  ---
03|MAG     : -MH  ---  ---  --H  ---
04|CAMSTAB : ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
05|ARM     : ---  --H  ---  ---  ---
06|GPS HOME: --H  ---  ---  ---  ---
07|GPS HOLD: -M-  ---  ---  ---  ---
08|GPS AUTO: ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
09|PASSTHRU: ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
10|HEADFREE: ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
11|BEEPER  : ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
12|HEADADJ : ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
13|OSD SW  : ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
14|GTUNE   : ---  ---  ---  ---  ---[code]

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

sn0west wrote:
Mr-Fiero wrote:@ sn0west

Hi Mr-Fiero,

thanks for your answere.
I agree with you, this might be an user falty issue or a setup issue. I did not change much to the testcode 3 as you can see on my dump.

I was definitly in "only" angle mode when the copter fliped over, it's the same as this user had
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3524&start=460#p44803

The weather was cloudless and no wind and I had at least 2quick red blinking light and one secon waiting. So this must be more than 6 or 7 sats, right?

2 blinks is 6 sats and minimum for nav is 6 sats. If you lose one temporary it just shut of nav.

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

@Mr-Firo
ok now I know what you mean. Thanks for your help.
I will put the code asap on my harakiri.

Still I have to finde a solution to protect the baro on the board, otherwise it may still jump around.
Does the exposition have somthing to do with the jumping?

@Hoppsan_84
Would the other gps help for a better reception?

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

sn0west wrote:@Mr-Firo
ok now I know what you mean. Thanks for your help.
I will put the code asap on my harakiri.

Still I have to finde a solution to protect the baro on the board, otherwise it may still jump around.
Does the exposition have somthing to do with the jumping?

@Hoppsan_84
Would the other gps help for a better reception?

Sorry, I am not the man to answer that question but the experience I got whit gps and naze32 tells me that you must shield the gps or mount it far away from the naze.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC2xjNK818s

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

90% of the time I find jumping is vibrations to the FC. 8% of the time, because baro not shielded from wind. other 2% misc. Baro MUST be shielded properly first before even reading more in this post about jumping.........open-cell foam only. if you can breath through it, your good. If it is hard to push air through the foam, its not going to work. dont plug the two holes on the baro when you apply foam/glue.

If it is floating up and down like a yo/yo (not jumping) then its settings/tuning.

try a lower setting like acc_lpfhz = 10 , and see if some of the "jumping" goes away. If it does, then your vibrations are not too bad, but still should be addressed.

As far as your question about the GPS, there is no magical fix, the Ublox 8 series engine is a bit better/faster, but personally I feel its a trade off due to the wideband antenna they put on it for better fix on GLONAS. I am not going to buy an 8 till the prices level out. Its not worth it for me. The only thing I want is the SAW filter they offer because all my frequencies are so close to each other. Get a NEO7M, with a larger antenna. You would probably be better off.

nothing wrong with 6 or 7 series engines. They can work very well if setup right. Read back in this forum as it has been discussed with several tips on better signals, fixes for the GPS's.

@ Hoppsan_84
shielding never hurts!!! and a good ground-plane/antenna set-up.

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

Ok thanks for the feedback.
I would like to connect the board with the ublox software.
Do I need some special connectors or is it possible to pass the gps signal through harakiri to the ublox center?

I prefer to see it ifi need to sperate thegps andthe fc more to eachother. :)

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

from cli, get the help screen, i cant remember off the top of my head but its something like gps_pass or pass_gps.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Sorry, dudes for not doing any copterstuff at all in the last couple of months... GPS is always optional and loosing faith in GPS is actually a good thing, because no FC in the world (I know they advertise it the other way) can compensate for flaky GPS signals over time without further sensorsets (airspeed, optical devices etc..). If trash GPS signals are detected (bad reception, most likely in urban areas etc and def. expected with no gps groundplate) Harakiri will disable the current GPS flightmode and you are stuck with what you have defined when that GPS function is turned off. If the flightmode is gyro/acro it will drop down to that so it is highly recommended to tick the auxbox levelmode along with your gps functions so it will fall back to level mode - that is actually necessary in multiwii all the time and you will see no gps functions at all working without ticked level mode - however harakiri automatically activates levelmode along with gps functions to make them happen, but a fallback can bring you back to gyro only if not defined otherwise in the gui. A general word on the magnetometer. When powered up the magnetometer gathers the strength of the magnetic field of each axis. This procedure is done on every powerup cycle and must not be influenced (like putting the copter on your car/metal plate during powerup)! Once this is done the so called GAINS are stored and then corrected with the OFFSETS you gather up during the mag calibration process. OK. The magnetometer can be set to different SENSITIVITIES. Harakiri uses the HMC devices with their highest sensitivity to get the most precision out of it for gps functions. However that sensitivity is not needed for the "Headfree" mode so you can change the magnetometer sensitivity in the CLI:

Default (1.9 GAUSS): 
set mag_gain = 0
or
set mag_gain = 1 (2.5 GAUSS for problematic copters)

So you have a chance on mag-troubled-setups, I would not recommed the 2.5 GAUSS setting for GPS use. You must recalibrate the mag when changing the sensitivity.
Cheers Rob

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:.... If trash GPS signals are detected (bad reception, most likely in urban areas etc and def. expected with no gps groundplate) Harakiri will disable the current GPS flightmode and you are stuck with what you have defined when that GPS function is turned off. .....

I didn't know that. I'd always activate Baro in GPS so at least it won't drop suddenly.

Regarding GPS, here's a few things important to know if newer folks haven't spend much time on it:

1. work with u-center and notice the "3D-uncertainty" number. When only one or two SV locked in, that number would be large in the thousands of meters, but quickly reduce as the 3rd and 4th SV lock in. HOWEVER, watch it as you get the 6th SV lock in and you will see that the REMNANT UNCERTAINTY will still remain large (perhaps even 10 meters). It will reduce given more time, but make note of how long it would take to reduce to 2-3meter uncertainty. It takes a while, doesn't it?
What this means: you should better not be flying as soon as you get the 6th SV, even though you've met requirement. Wait some 20sec more, so that Residual Uncertainty/deviation would reduce some more. When I practice that, I'd get solid GPS PH vs. not doing so.

2. I believe backplane/backplate is a MUST for GPS antenna. IF you've taken apart a DJI Phantom, you would notice a rather thick Copper foil embedded in sticky plastic, just under the GPS module, separating it from all circuit below. And you should also notice that ALL FC mfgrs (Naza, Vector, WooKong, etc.) even SKYlark OSD, will supply their own GPS module. You just can't buy one from Ebay and slap it on. That's done for a reason. Programming GPS module to meet your FC functionality req'm is a Must.
Furthermore, I've found that virtually ALL of my <$20 GPS purchases on Ebay have problem keeping programmed configs. They'd lose data afte >2days of non-activity !! Some worked after battery replacement (but $3 battery) in case of 6M module, but I haven't been successful reviving 7M modules. The story here, is that you're better off with $25 module with a larger back plane, dependable SV locks and keeps configs.

3. When there's a failure in GPS hold, check through this list:
-recal your Mag sensor (Left stick TOP RIGHT, Right stick DOWN, white light turns on for duration of data gathering). Rotate the craft about its THREE axis, al least once. Leave it alone to white light Off, and auto reboot.

-make note of your Environment. RF interference is a problem. Cell Phone towers. Hi-power Wi-Fi. A Shopping center parking lot where I tried must have a 5w wifi because I can get max wifi signal at least 300m away. My quad would always wander around while in GPS PH. Consider that "No Fly Zone". LOL Pick another place to fly and test.
Also, wind vortex from buildings and home can play unpredictable turbulence on your craft, even 40-50meters away. Be aware of that.

-plug your GPS back into u-center. Is your programmed config still in there ???? My ebay units reset to 9.6kbaud, etc...stock settings when FC expect differently.

All these things assume that you've already made your craft RF-sound.

Note that SV formation in the sky is constantly changing. They orbit the earth around 12,000 miles, significantly less than the geo-stationary orbit of 22,300miles. So what you get today is different from yesterday, even 4 hours earlier. Less than 4hr from last power up, is considered "warm" GPS boot.

Some people use a small battery to power up for gathering current GPS almanac data. Then unplug that, and plug in the main battery for flying... (hot boot).

Here's my F450 on GPS PH. It works.
http://youtu.be/R5ZRlWyCvwg

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

I can also confirm that PH on Harakiri works.
Both on my 450 and my 250 whit standard settings.

External mag and gps on a pedestal is my recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChvZokTJ7c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzNhYDo5a_U

strips

Sv: Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by strips »

Hoppsan_84 wrote:I can also confirm that PH on Harakiri works.
Both on my 450 and my 250 whit standard settings.

External mag and gps on a pedestal is my recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZChvZokTJ7c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzNhYDo5a_U

What's your take on external mag on naze/flip? How did you disable the internal?

Hoppsan_84

Post by Hoppsan_84 »

Well. I just cut It off well aware of the posible of an broken FC

strips

Post by strips »

Hoppsan_84 wrote:Well. I just cut It off well aware of the posible of an broken FC

Hehe. I know too well what you are talking about. I tried with hot air and got it off resulting in a dead board.

I have ordered a external baro in hopes of using it with an acro board :)

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

I will try all of your advise as soon as I can. Thanks for your reply!

Ich have an other question wich was discussed on page 13. but the answere are not realy clear.
I'm using the taranis with the x8r reciever and thr naze32 board with harakiri. Is there any possibilities to get telemetry on my taranis display? More presice I want to know how much satelite I have and if I have a 3d lock. So maybe with Lua Scripts. But do i need an additional hardware? D4r-II?
Any Ideas?

strips

Post by strips »

sn0west wrote:I will try all of your advise as soon as I can. Thanks for your reply!

Ich have an other question wich was discussed on page 13. but the answere are not realy clear.
I'm using the taranis with the x8r reciever and thr naze32 board with harakiri. Is there any possibilities to get telemetry on my taranis display? More presice I want to know how much satelite I have and if I have a 3d lock. So maybe with Lua Scripts. But do i need an additional hardware? D4r-II?
Any Ideas?

An Frsky vario for spartport can convert the D-style telemetry. But the simplest way would be to use a D RX.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Hi Folks,

I've been searching for any HaraKiri FW setting to get Naze/Flip/Dragonfly board to take Sbus input.

I remember that BaseFlight needs inverted Sbus signal with input "feature serialrx" and "set serialrx_type=2". Is there similar settings in HaraKiri?

Been looking page by page here, and I must have missed it... Somewhere...

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Sbus and softserial not supported.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

sn0west wrote:I will try all of your advise as soon as I can. Thanks for your reply!

Any Ideas?

Here is my experience with Harakiri + telemetry :

A) FRSKY protocol : In Harakiri set tele_prot=1. For Naze32, plug FRSKY Tx to Rx telemetry port of your receiver (D8R, D4R).
For Flip32, use an inverter (logical NOT gate : http://vrbrain.files.wordpress.com/2014 ... erter1.jpg or buy one : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Cable.html) between the UART Tx pin of the flight controller and the telem port RX of the receiver.
FC will only transmit telem data when armed.
B) Mavlink protocol : In Harakiri set tele_prot = 3 and use a 5 v Pro Mini flashed with : https://github.com/vizual54/APM-Mavlink-to-FrSky. Once again you plug the UART Tx to the Pro Mini (see schematics) and from the Pro Mini you send the converted signal to the Rx telem port of the receiver (D8R and D4R .. NOT S-Port receivers ...). The MAVlink to FRSKY conversion board does the signal inverting so DO NOT USE an inverter.
While you're at it, try to do a LUA script on your Taranis ... its not that difficult.
C) Mavlink protocol using S-Port (X8R, X6R FRSKY receivers) : set tele_prot=3. Use a SBUS to CPPM decoder between your X6R and Flip/Naze32 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... coder.html). Get a Teensy 3.1 board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12646
from Sparkfun or Adafruit). Flash it with https://github.com/chsw/MavLink_FrSkySPort . There is a lot of development going on on this so check the latest (see DIYDRONES forum http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/amp-t ... -converter).

*** BEWARE when using LUA scripts that you are not using it to input/modify flight data to the FC ... I''ve seen bizarre/unpredictable behavior when APM targeted scripts are run on the Taranis and telemetry is set to MAVLink on Harakiri.

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

Thanks for your reply!
So if I wnat to have it on the taranis screen I need the d8r reciever.
My tx an rx port on the naze32 are pluged to the bluetooth modul. If i set tele_port =3 then I would get the information on mission planer, right?
I will try all the feedback I got here this weekend, and post the results.
Thanks for the help!!

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

sn0west wrote:Thanks for your reply!
So if I wnat to have it on the taranis screen I need the d8r reciever.
My tx an rx port on the naze32 are pluged to the bluetooth modul. If i set tele_port =3 then I would get the information on mission planer, right?
I will try all the feedback I got here this weekend, and post the results.
Thanks for the help!!

You can still get telemetry on the Taranis : make a ' Y ' connector to split the TX signal between your BT and :
1 - the signal inverter plugged to the Rx telemetry port of the D8R (or D4R) using FRSKY protocol (tele_prot = 1)
** if you are only interested in FRSKY telem (no BT) use the FRSKY port of your Naze32 without a signal inverter.
OR
2- the converter board (flashed Pro Mini) going to your D8R telemetry port using the MAVLink protocol (tele_prot=3).

As I mentioned, if your want to keep your X8R you need a different converter board (teensy) to connect to the S-Port ( ... and a SBUS to CPPM converter to connect to the FC because Harakiri does not (yet) support SBUS).

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Is Current Flight Mode (GPS Hold, Horizon, etc.) one of the info gets passed outside in the Telemetry stream ?

I'm running WiteSpy OSD with MW1.3 OSD. GPS and other info I can see on OSD screen, but Flight mode.

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

leocopter wrote:B) Mavlink protocol : In Harakiri set tele_prot = 3 and use a 5 v Pro Mini flashed with : https://github.com/vizual54/APM-Mavlink-to-FrSky. Once again you plug the UART Tx to the Pro Mini (see schematics) and from the Pro Mini you send the converted signal to the Rx telem port of the receiver (D8R and D4R .. NOT S-Port receivers ...). The MAVlink to FRSKY conversion board does the signal inverting so DO NOT USE an inverter.
While you're at it, try to do a LUA script on your Taranis ... its not that difficult.
C) Mavlink protocol using S-Port (X8R, X6R FRSKY receivers) : set tele_prot=3. Use a SBUS to CPPM decoder between your X6R and Flip/Naze32 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... coder.html). Get a Teensy 3.1 board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12646
from Sparkfun or Adafruit). Flash it with https://github.com/chsw/MavLink_FrSkySPort . There is a lot of development going on on this so check the latest (see DIYDRONES forum http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/amp-t ... -converter).

*** BEWARE when using LUA scripts that you are not using it to input/modify flight data to the FC ... I''ve seen bizarre/unpredictable behavior when APM targeted scripts are run on the Taranis and telemetry is set to MAVLink on Harakiri.

After your post I ordered a teensy 3.1 and made a lot of research to know how to install ist. Thanks by the way for your inputs!

So I'm not able to get telemetry on my Taranis, so I'll try to explain as best as I can what I did.
Here my Video explanation,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmWb37h ... e=youtu.be

I wired my teensy like this pictures
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/amp-t ... 1#comments
and this description
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274401

Downloaded this two sowftware
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
and
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html

I flashed the teensy with this
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/amp-t ... 1#comments

I setup my Taranis with Peter King google Docs, Taranis Telemetry
Video HowTo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRNhiJ1BNk
Google Docs: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... 2pSTFlqcWc

What is wrong?

Here is my Harakiri setup

FW: HarakiriSG pre2.6 TestCode3Sep 11 2014 / 23:05:21
ID|AUXCHAN : 01   02   03   04 
00|ANGLE   : ---  LMH  ---  LMH
01|HORIZON : ---  ---  ---  ---
02|BARO    : ---  --H  ---  -MH
03|MAG     : ---  -MH  ---  -MH
04|CAMSTAB : ---  ---  ---  ---
05|ARM     : --H  ---  ---  ---
06|GPS HOME: ---  ---  ---  --H
07|GPS HOLD: ---  ---  ---  -M-
08|GPS AUTO: ---  ---  ---  ---
09|PASSTHRU: ---  ---  ---  ---
10|HEADFREE: ---  ---  ---  ---
11|BEEPER  : ---  ---  ---  ---
12|HEADADJ : ---  ---  ---  ---
13|OSD SW  : ---  ---  ---  ---
14|GTUNE   : ---  ---  ---  ---
Current mixer: QUADX
Custom mixer:
Motor.Thr.Roll.Pitch.Yaw
Sanity check:.OK.OK.OK.
Enabled features: PPM VBAT GPS
Current assignment: AETR1234
Current settings:
rc_db = 20
rc_dbyw = 20
rc_dbah = 50
rc_dbgps = 5
rc_trm_rll =  0.000
rc_trm_ptch =  0.000
rc_minchk = 1100
rc_mid = 1500
rc_maxchk = 1900
rc_lowlat = 1
rc_rllrm = 0
rc_killt = 200
rc_flpsp = 1
rc_motor = 2
rc_auxch = 4
rc_rate = 100
rc_expo = 80
thr_mid = 50
thr_expo = 0
roll_pitch_rate = 0
yawrate = 0
rc_oldyw = 0
devorssi = 0
rssicut = 0
gt_loP_rll = 20
gt_loP_ptch = 20
gt_loP_yw = 20
gt_hiP_rll = 70
gt_hiP_ptch = 70
gt_hiP_yw = 70
gt_pwr = 0
esc_min = 1100
esc_max = 1950
esc_nfly = 1300
esc_nwmx = 1
esc_moff = 1000
esc_pwm = 400
srv_pwm = 50
pass_mot = 0
fs_delay = 10
fs_ofdel = 200
fs_rcthr = 1200
fs_ddplt = 0
fs_jstph = 0
fs_nosnr = 1
serial_baudrate = 115200
tele_prot = 3
spektrum_hires = 0
vbatscale = 110
vbatmaxcellvoltage = 43
vbatmincellvoltage = 33
power_adc_channel = 0
tri_ydir = 1
tri_ymid = 1500
tri_ymin = 1020
tri_ymax = 2000
tri_ydel = 0
wing_left_min = 1020
wing_left_mid = 1500
wing_left_max = 2000
wing_right_min = 1020
wing_right_mid = 1500
wing_right_max = 2000
pitch_direction_l = 1
pitch_direction_r = -1
roll_direction_l = 1
roll_direction_r = 1
gbl_flg = 1
gbl_pgn = 10
gbl_rgn = 10
gbl_pmn = 1020
gbl_pmx = 2000
gbl_pmd = 1500
gbl_rmn = 1020
gbl_rmx = 2000
gbl_rmd = 1500
al_barolr = 25
al_snrlr = 50
al_debounce = 5
al_tobaro = 2000
al_tosnr = 1000
as_lnchr = 200
as_clmbr = 100
as_trgt = 0
as_stdev = 10
align_gyro_x = 0
align_gyro_y = 0
align_gyro_z = 0
align_acc_x = 0
align_acc_y = 0
align_acc_z = 0
align_mag_x = 0
align_mag_y = 0
align_mag_z = 0
align_board_yaw = 0
acc_hdw = 2
acc_lpfhz =  10.000
acc_altlpfhz = 10
acc_gpslpfhz = 15
gy_lpf = 42
gy_gcmpf = 700
gy_mcmpf = 200
gy_smrll = 0
gy_smptc = 0
gy_smyw = 0
gy_stdev = 5
accz_vcf =  0.985
accz_acf =  0.960
bar_lag =  0.300
bar_dscl =  0.700
bar_dbg = 0
mag_dec = 179
mag_time = 1
mag_gain = 0
gps_baudrate = 115200
gps_type = 1
gps_ins_vel =  0.600
gps_lag = 2000
gps_ph_minsat = 6
gps_expo = 20
gps_ph_settlespeed = 10
gps_maxangle = 35
gps_ph_brakemaxangle = 15
gps_ph_minbrakepercent = 50
gps_ph_brkacc = 40
gps_wp_radius = 200
rtl_mnh = 0
rtl_cr = 80
rtl_mnd = 0
gps_rtl_flyaway = 0
gps_yaw = 30
nav_rtl_lastturn = 1
nav_speed_min = 100
nav_speed_max = 150
nav_approachdiv = 3
nav_tiltcomp = 30
nav_ctrkgain =  0.500
nav_controls_heading = 0
nav_tail_first = 0
stat_clear = 1
gps_pos_p = 10
gps_pos_i = 40
gps_pos_d = 0
gps_posr_p = 70
gps_posr_i = 0
gps_posr_d = 100
gps_nav_p = 15
gps_nav_i = 0
gps_nav_d = 0
looptime = 3000
mainpidctrl = 0
maincuthz = 12
gpscuthz = 45
p_pitch = 35
i_pitch = 30
d_pitch = 30
p_roll = 35
i_roll = 30
d_roll = 30
p_yaw = 60
i_yaw = 45
d_yaw = 0
p_alt = 100
i_alt = 30
d_alt = 80
p_level = 70
i_level = 10
d_level = 50
snr_type = 3
snr_min = 30
snr_max = 200
snr_dbg = 0
snr_tilt = 18
snr_cf =  0.500
snr_diff = 0
snr_land = 1
LED_invert = 0
LED_Type = 1
LED_pinout = 1
LED_ControlChannel = 8
LED_ARMED = 0
LED_Toggle_Delay1 = 8
LED_Toggle_Delay2 = 8
LED_Toggle_Delay3 = 8
LED_Pattern1 = 1300
LED_Pattern2 = 1800
LED_Pattern3 = 1900

so if I forgot to say something, please let me now.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Hi sn0west,

the obvious problem I see is that you plugged the Teensy board to the FRSKY port of your Naze .... That port has a built-in signal inverter. The Teensy does the signal inverting for you ... so in your setup, the signal is inverted once to many !
Plug the Teensy to the Rx and Tx port locaded in the middle of the Naze.
Try that and tell me if it works. Don't forget that telem data is only passed when the board is armed (unless you use BF or Cleanflight with Softserial and another scenario).
Regards,
Chris

sn0west

Post by sn0west »

leocopter wrote:Hi sn0west,

the obvious problem I see is that you plugged the Teensy board to the FRSKY port of your Naze .... That port has a built-in signal inverter. The Teensy does the signal inverting for you ... so in your setup, the signal is inverted once to many !
Plug the Teensy to the Rx and Tx port locaded in the middle of the Naze.
Try that and tell me if it works. Don't forget that telem data is only passed when the board is armed (unless you use BF or Cleanflight with Softserial and another scenario).
Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
I did try to plug it there, but it did not do anything to my taranis. I can try again and give then some feedback. So where I pluged the wire on the naze32 is definitly wrong?
Do I have to setup the Taranis specialy? Apart of copying the script and the lua stuf.