Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Mr-Fiero

Re: Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Just reporting again for an incident already noticed in previous posts. Today I was flying the trusty junker. (it owes me nothing!) I flew a total of 7 times at 10 to 15 minutes each flight. It was a very windy day but I figured it would be good practice.

Anyways, again, 3 out of 7 times, my altitude on the OSD reset to zero while in flight. After the reset it always works from the new 0 reference point. PH is not affected by this.

I need to test more, but could this possibly be the GPS SV's dropping below the minimum number and then increasing to the minimum again resetting the altitude? I thought at one point, that it happened when my SV's hit 5 on the OSD, and then jumped back to 6SV's, and the altitude reset to 0M at the same time.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

devorssi set to RTL works wonders. I was 2.4km out and hit my limit. It went into RTL but as soon as i repositioned the radio as I was in the middle of allot of trees, and had contact, it switched back.

Love it ! Thank you for that neat feature.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

OK,,,,now I understand devorssi. Bamfax, I get what you are saying it was limited for functions. But, It has to be working because while its enabled my RSSI on my OSD is working perfectly. It must be recognized in the MinumOSD mavlink as before I have never had RSSI working.

My RTL on RSSI functions are only because I had programmed the OpenLRSng onto a dedicated channel and added the channel in Harakiri. But, It all works very well together and I have been trying to trigger the RTL on RSSI in a real environment to see how it works. So far every time my copter switches RTL if my RSSI is less than %10. It will continue in that mode until I have a good signal to my OpenLRSng RX.

Its so smooth how it works, and I am really enjoying the extra feature for added safety.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Gentlemen, do you have to enable anything in CLI to get BTmodule to get data from Flip32+ ??

The module is connecting to Android based phone running EZ GUI, but it gets no data.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Spotter6 wrote:Gentlemen, do you have to enable anything in CLI to get BTmodule to get data from Flip32+ ??

The module is connecting to Android based phone running EZ GUI, but it gets no data.

check baud rates on bluetooth. and there is also a serial data baud setting in harakiri. by default its set to 115200 so if your bluetooth are set to 115200 you should be good. If you see no data, then try swapping the TX and RX wires and test again for data.

I dont know where I got this, to give credit, but here is a diagram for connections to FLIP32+. Whoever made this diagram, Thank You! I use it all the time.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

I checked all that but it was still not getting data.

Then I tried setting tele_prot = 2 (because tele_prot = 1 is for frsky and didn't work as I was going down the list of combinations).

It works.

Thanks for the diagram. It's a good one to have in document !!

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Mr-Fiero wrote:
Spotter6 wrote:I dont know where I got this, to give credit, but here is a diagram for connections to FLIP32+. Whoever made this diagram, Thank You! I use it all the time.

Credit goes to Truglodite. He's the one who created that wiring diagram :)

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Hi Mr_Fiero,
I have had good results for PH with r73 of Harakiri and bigger frames : 350-450. I'm also using your settings. I'm not getting it to work properly with smaller frames (250). I tried r79 and the latest release ... no good. Did you achieve PH with smaller frames ? Perhaps your settings are to 'tight' for smaller quads ?
So I revisited APM and got really good PH in Loiter mode and good functioning with Circle and RTL ... until today where I took a 350 frame with APM, FRSKY telemetry and 3DR radio to the park. It flew well in stabilized mode. As soon as I flipped the switch to AltHold ... in began a slow wobble (as if it decided to go in Autotune by itself ...). I lost total control over it. No stick response and I couldn't get it back in Stabilized mode ... so it climbed and drifted while wobbling across the park, across the street ... until it hit a house ! ... scared the hell out of me ... :|

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Using r79, I've found that it is more difficult to get good PH on my F330, whereas in larger frame F450 (youtube video) it is superbly steady.

It would seem logical that the smaller craft would bounce around more in the wind.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

FTDI seemed to have modified the PID address of cloned FTDI adapters in market, to render "Driver not found" in Windows. I think the 6014 address was forced to change to 0000, so the latest FTDI drivers would NOT recognize those clones. If you've updated your driver to latest August 2014 edition and bought an adapter with a cloned FTDI chip, you'd have this problem.

One solution is to use OLDer drivers
http://www.ja.axxs.net/ftdi_driver_install.htm

Another solution is to text edit INF files in new drivers to replace all "6014" with "0000" then Update Driver with these files.

FWIW. So you can edit your GPS configuration on Ublox modules with U-center.

alistairr

Post by alistairr »

I know this is off topic but..... I've had great success with setting gps type =4 and setting gps using u center. I asked if this could be an option for RTH baseflight for fixed wing and it was suggested I don't connect the Naze Gps tx to gps rx Lead. Would that work? Is there other messages that need to be sent to the gps?

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

alistairr wrote:I know this is off topic but..... I've had great success with setting gps type =4 and setting gps using u center. I asked if this could be an option for RTH baseflight for fixed wing and it was suggested I don't connect the Naze Gps tx to gps rx Lead. Would that work? Is there other messages that need to be sent to the gps?

If you'd recall little button low left corner of ucenter Message window called "Poll", that's the msg I would send to GPS asking for data, rather than waiting for GPS to send data when it wants. A timing issue, which is more necessary for a multi copter that needs better than millisecond timing precision.

I'd argue fixed wings can ride and float on air better so that application wouldn't need the timing precision and it can wait as long as tens of milliseconds to get data, unless you're zipping around nearer to hundreds of kph.

Give it a try.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

I got bit by rc_killt

I had my OpenLRSng failsafe set to stick centre Pich,roll,yaw and throttle at centre. but ARM was off because I am used to the fact if you try to disarm while in flight it wont. It is also easier to set OpenLRS failsafe this way as it does not have to be armed.

BUT, I had it set with rc_killt to 200ms. when my radio lost contact the fail-safe kicked in, but since my ARM was LOW, guess what? well, lets just say rc_killt worked.

I crashed the first time, did not know what the heck happened. I rebuilt it, and flew again an hour later, only to have the same crash. I thought maybe it was because the junker finally died. So I grabbed the X450 CF multicopter, only to crash it into a little pile from 150M high. WTF? Now I know!

So, rebuilt the X450.....rebuilt the junker. Then I was trying the junker again without the rc_killt. Made sure i knew my current failsafes were set correctly. Started flying again, but I was a long ways out and my freakin video stopped. (probably related to previous crash damage). I knew it was going to crash because I was out of battery. I jumped on the quad and headed out to locate the multicopter. I found the unit quickly as I was testing in a farmers field and using a directional antenna for RX, I zoned in on the OpenLRS beacon. yea, very squished. Any ways checking for what failed, I found my camera is what gave up. I though for sure it was my 1.2G video because I had to repair the sma from the previous crash and did not know to what extent the damage was due to it still transmitting without an antenna.

So, I had 4 failures, 3 of which are my own fault for not thinking rc_killt through properly.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

leocopter wrote:Hi Mr_Fiero,
I have had good results for PH with r73 of Harakiri and bigger frames : 350-450. I'm also using your settings. I'm not getting it to work properly with smaller frames (250). I tried r79 and the latest release ... no good. Did you achieve PH with smaller frames ? Perhaps your settings are to 'tight' for smaller quads ?

Try lower pos rate setting....one unit i had that was 250 size, i had it as low as .6. Also, make sure the unit feels tuned with PID's before attempting GPS. the GPS functions have to fly with PID's and if its already difficult, well, then it stands to reason the GPS functions will have just as a hard time.

also, maybe lower gps_expo?

Settings in the GPS engine however will make no difference for what you are experiencing. Its either accurate/working, or not. once its accurate for a fix, its up to each units own tune to work with the GPS in the FC.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

alistairr wrote:I know this is off topic but..... I've had great success with setting gps type =4 and setting gps using u center. I asked if this could be an option for RTH baseflight for fixed wing and it was suggested I don't connect the Naze Gps tx to gps rx Lead. Would that work? Is there other messages that need to be sent to the gps?

if your GPS is programmed, and has an EEPROM, and your FC has same buad settings to match. Then yes, if you disable the send line from FC it would be the same effect as gps_type = 4. In Harakiri, if you look at the source, if 4 is selected, then nothing is sent to GPS....so same effect as you suggest.

Rust

Post by Rust »

Guys, I need some help regarding position hold. Using r97.
Sometimes the quad skyrockets full throttle when in pos hold and the only way to stop it is switching back to angle. Throttle stick loses response.
Running default settings, tried to tune pos PID and it seems to hold pretty well, but it's scary when decides to go crazy :)
It likes to do it when I start to move the quad around. Sometimes happens when I increase the throttle to max for ascending, but not every time. And on top of that it does it for no reason (from time to time).

Except that, the quad flies nicely locked in. Gps functions work well, too.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Rust wrote:Guys, I need some help regarding position hold. Using r97.
Sometimes the quad skyrockets full throttle when in pos hold .

sounds like intermittent vibration issues to me. maybe a bad bearing? playing with your acc sensors making it jump. i cant remember for sure, but its something like acc_lpf setting, try it at 10 and see if the problems go away. if so, you have vibrations.

and/or

make sure your baro is covered with correct foam.

if those two are not the cause, it could be a bad baro for alt hold issues.

Rust

Post by Rust »

Mr-Fiero wrote:
Sometimes the quad skyrockets full throttle when in pos hold .

sounds like intermittent vibration issues to me. maybe a bad bearing? playing with your acc sensors making it jump. i cant remember for sure, but its something like acc_lpf setting, try it at 10 and see if the problems go away. if so, you have vibrations.

and/or

Hey Fiero, thanks for the reply!
Yes, vibration sounds logical. I moved the board to another quad to test there.
I assume you mean acc_altlpfhz? It's at 10 by default. I'll try playing with this to see if it makes difference.

Thanks again :) Cheers!

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

acc_lpfhz try at 10 if its set to 20....

both the acc_altlpfhz and acc_lpfhz would be of interest.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:
leocopter wrote:Hi Mr_Fiero,

Try lower pos rate setting....one unit i had that was 250 size, i had it as low as .6. Also, make sure the unit feels tuned with PID's before attempting GPS. the GPS functions have to fly with PID's and if its already difficult, well, then it stands to reason the GPS functions will have just as a hard time.

also, maybe lower gps_expo?

Settings in the GPS engine however will make no difference for what you are experiencing. Its either accurate/working, or not. once its accurate for a fix, its up to each units own tune to work with the GPS in the FC.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Your experience with rc_killt is exactly what I was afraid off when I ask the question in my October 12 post. If Crashpilot monitoring this, it would be nice to ignore the ARM switch in rc_killt or at least have an option to ignore it. The problem with having to ARM your quad in your failsafe settings is that your props will spin when you turn off your Tx.
When I had a 'fly away' with my APM quad ... I remembered your experiences with that board ... (It could have been an overloaded front end on the Taranis Rx too). Now I am retrofitting my bigger APM copters with a real kill switch. I use 2 Tx modules on the Taranis (the onboard FRSKY and a DSM2 module). I use a full range DSM2 Rx hooked up to a remote Rx switch plugged to channel 6. The switch controls the power to the APM. Now, if it goes crazy (out of control, fly away ... ) I kill the APM and it drops ... much better than having it cause an accident or carve up someones face ...

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

leocopter wrote:Succes. I have FRSKY telemetry working on Flip32+. It requires an inverter (a logical NOT gate built with one low power NPN and 2 resistors). As I stated earlier Naze32 Rev 5 has it built in the FRSKY port. Now I have voltage, rssi, alt, hdg, gps coordinates etc. on my Taranis with audible alerts for low battery and critical battery and switchable audio messages for voltage, alt and distance ... :mrgreen:

@ leocopter - I need your help if you dont mind. I am setting up exactly what you have already done.
I am now elimating all my OSD's and wish to have telemetry on the TH-9XR via OpenLRS from Flip32+.

i set the OpenLRS to 9600 baud frsky telemetry

set the Flip32 to
serial_baudrate = 9600
tele_prot = 1

Then I wired OpenLRS RX to the Flip32+ to where the bluetooth would normally go as in this diagram.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xi51 ... Schem2.png

My RC TX, I have this installed....
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... page&id=19

Now, the problem is, I do not know if anything works. So i do not have a starting point. I would like to setup the Flip32+ and the Hobbyking OpenLRS RX to a working state (that's were I have to ask your help). Then I can focus on getting the RC TX working as it should.

think this would work?
http://vrbrain.files.wordpress.com/2014 ... erter1.jpg

So, just so I have a clear working starting point, could you give me a quick pin-out from FC, to RXtelemetry with inverter included, and if you notice anything I have already mentioned as a problem, could you let me know?

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

Does it need to be Frsky Out? Why not use plain Mavlink? If you are not feeding into 9xd/x9d directly, Mavlink would offer a larger range of Software Clients...

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Bamfax wrote:Does it need to be Frsky Out? Why not use plain Mavlink? If you are not feeding into 9xd/x9d directly, Mavlink would offer a larger range of Software Clients...

I was wondering that myself.....now I have to think about it more for pushing diff prot as I would rather not use Frsky if possible. I might be limited due to the 9XR board I installed. I did however install Open9X firmware on the radio that has telemetry.

these are what are in my radio right now....
http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

I bought those because when i first started the hobby, I was trying to future proof. Now I think maybe it was the wrong route.

The one thing I am hung up over is the serial bus inversion. Is this only when it is in Frsky, or for all output of FC? if I were to use mavlink instead would an inverter still be required? Or, is the inverter only needed if you use a Frsky RX? It stands to reason, that it is only Frsky because everthing else on serial works fine...eg:bluetooth

I am so green with this. I have never had telemetry working on my radio yet, but now have an interest. Someday, maybe, I will end up with the Taranis.... My birthday is in a couple of days, hmmm....yea right. just wishfull thinking there. I think I get new shoes instead.damn....LOL.

Thanks Bamfax.....your right. I know what I will do. Switch back to MAVLINK and setup OpenLRS RX/TX to send serial. Then I will just plug in the FTDI in the RC TX OpenLRS and watch for serial data MAVLINK. then I know its working up to the endpoint. Then, I can focus on getting the 9XR working to see it after.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr-Fiero wrote:
leocopter wrote:Succes. I have FRSKY telemetry working on Flip32+. It requires an inverter (a logical NOT gate built with one low power NPN and 2 resistors). As I stated earlier Naze32 Rev 5 has it built in the FRSKY port. Now I have voltage, rssi, alt, hdg, gps coordinates etc. on my Taranis with audible alerts for low battery and critical battery and switchable audio messages for voltage, alt and distance ... :mrgreen:

@ leocopter - I need your help if you dont mind. I am setting up exactly what you have already done.
I am now elimating all my OSD's and wish to have telemetry on the TH-9XR via OpenLRS from Flip32+.

i set the OpenLRS to 9600 baud frsky telemetry

set the Flip32 to
serial_baudrate = 9600
tele_prot = 1

Then I wired OpenLRS RX to the Flip32+ to where the bluetooth would normally go as in this diagram.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-xi51 ... Schem2.png

My RC TX, I have this installed....

Now, the problem is, I do not know if anything works. So i do not have a starting point. I would like to setup the Flip32+ and the Hobbyking OpenLRS RX to a working state (that's were I have to ask your help). Then I can focus on getting the RC TX working as it should.

think this would work?
http://vrbrain.files.wordpress.com/2014 ... erter1.jpg

So, just so I have a clear working starting point, could you give me a quick pin-out from FC, to RXtelemetry with inverter included, and if you notice anything I have already mentioned as a problem, could you let me know?

Hi Mr_Fiero,

I use FrSKY telemetry with FRSKY receivers (D8R and D4R) with either Flip32 or Naze 32 boards and a Taranis.
You need a signal inverter (a NOT logical gate) to convert FRSKY telemetry data. You can buy one at HK : https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... duct=24523 or build one.
You connect to the Tx port of the Naze32 or to the Tx port of the 4 pin UART on the Flip32.

Now if you want to use OpenLRS, I suggest you read the following : https://github.com/openLRSng/openLRSng/ ... etry-guide
If you are using the Orange UHF Tx module on a Taranis, you will need to do a mod on the module : https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw3g0rder8kgc ... aranis.pdf
On the Orange Rx, use the Rx + Tx on the FTDI header.

You can also use MavLink and build a Mavlink to FRSKY converter with a cheap Pro Mini. That's what I use on my APM systems : https://github.com/vizual54/APM-Mavlink-to-FrSky. If you go this route, no need for the inverter.

There is crazy stuff coming out for MavLink to FRSKY S-port conversion : MavLink_FrSkySPort_1.3.zip, where you program your Taranis with Lua script and flash a Teensy 3.1 board (on my to-do list). Check it out.
Last edited by leocopter on Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Mr_Fiero,
I didn't have the nerve to modify my 9HX for telemetry ... so I can't help you there. I took the easy way out and bought the Taranis.

Your inverter schematic looks OK.

This might interest you : I just received a DTF UHF Deluxe JR Tx module with true 1 W Tx power : http://www.dtfuhf.com/shop/index.php?ma ... ducts_id=9, unlike the cheap HK stuff that outputs 300-400 mW ...

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

leocopter wrote:Mr_Fiero,
I didn't have the nerve to modify my 9HX for telemetry ... so I can't help you there. I took the easy way out and bought the Taranis.

Your inverter schematic looks OK.

This might interest you : I just received a DTF UHF Deluxe JR Tx module with true 1 W Tx power : http://www.dtfuhf.com/shop/index.php?ma ... ducts_id=9, unlike the cheap HK stuff that outputs 300-400 mW ...

I saw that one. It looks very nice and has a trainer/headtracker port. Looks great.

Notice the 1W RX modules too.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

I think now that I have mavlink all the way to my RCTX working, I might slip in a bluetooth inside the Hawkeye OpenLRS TX. it might work for two purposes. one, to have a wireless link for program changes (maybe even able to flash upgrade) and two, so I would always be able to log in via my android for mavlink. Then I could have voice prompts on my android.

update...almost got the bluetooth working...it works but while using i get timeouts for some data. probably because of the delays with two half duplex radios in series on the serial line. so its really half the bandwidth which is an issue i believe. anyways, i might remove the custom boards in my 9xr and do the mods for mavlink myself, and then everything should be working, soon.

NoRCExperience

Post by NoRCExperience »

Can someone clarify the current LED modes? I have collected the following from the aggregate of this thread and the DE one. Also there is a link to a google drive from cGeisen that probably clarifies the RGB stuff. The link doesn't work but wants you to request access.

Led
Code: feature MONO_LED
This feature turns on the additional LED function. Mono_LED but because it is also this beautiful RGB LEDs, which is certainly also installed ;)
Code: set LED_pinout = 1
RC5 pin the LED turns ON or OFF
Code: set LED_pinout = 2
Pin RC6 the LED turns ON or OFF
At the moment the LED function is still kept pretty simple. Just flashes.
But that it does this, it must be assigned to a switch: LED BOX
This will:
- Flashes when something is wrong! LowBat, FailSafe, etc
- Flashing speed via encoder (transmitter) adjustable

I am trying to put together a TestCode3 r79 wiki that brings us to today without the need to read 4,000 pages over 3 forums.

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

It's Groundhog Day here: My PH is not working :). The last days I have tried to get my CSG Ublox Max-M8N to work. I did get a new 15'' copter up and running. It has the GPS (http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=171) riding 10cm above on a stand, not shielded. Logging it during flight with Bluetooth MSP shows 8 to 12 SVs. The green "3D Fix" LED on the GPS starts blinking after a while. The Hariki GPS config is exactly the same as on my hoverbuggy. The copter is basically the same (same size/props, similar motors/escs). The GPS is configured with MrFiero "2014-08-08 ublox 6 config". But, whatever I do, there is no PH reaction from the copter. MSP readouts also show me when PH is switched on.

The only thing that disturbs me is that with the Mavlink2FrSky Converter (I am using https://github.com/lvale/MavLink_FrSkySPort), there is no GPS speed, long/lat, hdop, etc. But, I have no previous experience with that converter, maybe it's just missing these fields. And the MWii EZ-GUI tells me ("PH turned on. PH turned off. PH turned on. PH turned off...") - but this App does not seem to the reliable sort of App.

Could someone share experiences with the CSG Ublox Max-M8N and Harakiri PH? I am not yet at the end of debugging. But it would be good to hear a "it's working over here". I would suspect that harakiri does want some better reception. When I turned on GPS RtH, it did definitely kick in. So it's probably a singal quality thing again.

@NoRC: Here is what I know:
- Red LED switched on: Should be Angle mode actived?
- Red LED when using GPS: Red LED blinking with longer Pause in between blinks: GPS SV reception, 1st blink counts as 5 SVs, 2nd+ blinks as one (3 blinks and then pause: 7 SVs acquired).
- Red & Green LED switch blinking: Pass Mode enabled, careful
led_invert = 0 : invert every LED

NoRCExperience

Post by NoRCExperience »

[quote=bamfax]- Red LED switched on: Should be Angle mode actived?
- Red LED when using GPS: Red LED blinking with longer Pause in between blinks: GPS SV reception, 1st blink counts as 5 SVs, 2nd+ blinks as one (3 blinks and then pause: 7 SVs acquired).
- Red & Green LED switch blinking: Pass Mode enabled, careful
led_invert = 0 : invert every LED[/quote]

Thanks! I'm using a DIY board so I just want to make sure my hooked up LEDs are working correct. They operate way different than my MPNG/APM (one led blink unarmed, solid armed, other led blink acquiring gps, solid 3d lock) but seems like what you said. They only unknown is this alluded RGB mode.

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

Hey Guys,

I had another try with my new Quad using the small GPS and I finally found the mistake. Don't ask... :). The problem was in between my two ears. And I am amazed again. With the Max-M8Q it is a rock solid PH again. It might be even tighter as before. The Quad is sitting there like a duck. The GPS has 10-12 SVs reception with its tiny 12mm patch antenna, just on a 10cm stand, no shield, and here comes the best part, this is using your last GPS config MrFiero, from 2014-09-24. If I may quote you on your config: "SVINFO active, and tighter settings (less deviation) but may not agree with smaller antenna's or weaker signal setup". So, I am right now absolutely amazed by this GPS. If it would not have been only a 5min flight in ideal conditions, I would only buy this one anymore. But I guess it deserves a little more testing if that is really true. MrFiero, one million thanks again for your great contributions here! I had never dreamed that I would ever have a PH like that on my copters.

I am tinkering a little bit with telemetry myself these days. Right now I am using the frsky to mavlink converter running on a teensy based on this project https://github.com/lvale/MavLink_FrSkySPort. This works like a charm. Only thing that I am missing is HDOP and ACC logging. Could anyone using other telemetry flavors comment if you are getting these values? Is this maybe on the direct frsky telemetry out from harakiri? I assume that since FrSky tele protocol does have these fields (at least ACC), it should be "just" a question of software support.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Bamfax wrote:Hey Guys,

I had another try with my new Quad using the small GPS and I finally found the mistake. Don't ask... :). The problem was in between my two ears. And I am amazed again. With the Max-M8Q it is a rock solid PH again. It might be even tighter as before. The Quad is sitting there like a duck. The GPS has 10-12 SVs reception with its tiny 12mm patch antenna, just on a 10cm stand, no shield, and here comes the best part, this is using your last GPS config MrFiero, from 2014-09-24. If I may quote you on your config: "SVINFO active, and tighter settings (less deviation) but may not agree with smaller antenna's or weaker signal setup". So, I am right now absolutely amazed by this GPS. If it would not have been only a 5min flight in ideal conditions, I would only buy this one anymore. But I guess it deserves a little more testing if that is really true. MrFiero, one million thanks again for your great contributions here! I had never dreamed that I would ever have a PH like that on my copters.

I am tinkering a little bit with telemetry myself these days. Right now I am using the frsky to mavlink converter running on a teensy based on this project https://github.com/lvale/MavLink_FrSkySPort. This works like a charm. Only thing that I am missing is HDOP and ACC logging. Could anyone using other telemetry flavors comment if you are getting these values? Is this maybe on the direct frsky telemetry out from harakiri? I assume that since FrSky tele protocol does have these fields (at least ACC), it should be "just" a question of software support.

Hi Bamfax,

I have a Pixhawk hooked up to a X6R and a Teensy 3.1 board flashed with the Ivale FW you mentioned. The Lua script runs fine on the simulator but not on the Taranis (for now). But I do get readings for ACCx, ACCy, ACCz. Are you using an S-Bus to CPPM converter for your hook up to Harakiri ?
For Harakiri, I use D4R-II Rx with either the FRSKY protocol (tele_prot=1) with Flip32 + inverter or Naze32, or Mavlink protocol (tele_prot=3) with a Pro Mini flashed with :
https://github.com/vizual54/APM-Mavlink-to-FrSky (no inverter). In all cases I have readings for ACCx, ACCy and ACCz on my Taranis.
I have written my first Lua script today ;) .

Cheers,

Chris

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

leocopter wrote:I have a Pixhawk hooked up to a X6R and a Teensy 3.1 board flashed with the Ivale FW you mentioned. The Lua script runs fine on the simulator but not on the Taranis (for now). But I do get readings for ACCx, ACCy, ACCz. Are you using an S-Bus to CPPM converter for your hook up to Harakiri ?
For Harakiri, I use D4R-II Rx with either the FRSKY protocol (tele_prot=1) with Flip32 + inverter or Naze32, or Mavlink protocol (tele_prot=3) with a Pro Mini flashed with :
https://github.com/vizual54/APM-Mavlink-to-FrSky (no inverter). In all cases I have readings for ACCx, ACCy and ACCz on my Taranis.

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I have that standard FrSky S-Bus to CPPM Converter hooked up to Harakiri.

So from what you are saying, the only reason remaining why there is no ACC on my config is that probably Harakiri does not put it in the Mavlink. I should be able to check that quite easily with Mission Planer. Thanks for the hint! I will let you know what came out.

Cheers,
Olli

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Bamfax wrote:
leocopter wrote:I have a Pixhawk hooked up to a X6R and a Teensy 3.1 board flashed with the Ivale FW you mentioned. The Lua script runs fine on the simulator but not on the Taranis (for now). But I do get readings for ACCx, ACCy, ACCz. Are you using an S-Bus to CPPM converter for your hook up to Harakiri ?

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I have that standard FrSky S-Bus to CPPM Converter hooked up to Harakiri.

So from what you are saying, the only reason remaining why there is no ACC on my config is that probably Harakiri does not put it in the Mavlink. I should be able to check that quite easily with Mission Planer. Thanks for the hint! I will let you know what came out.

Cheers,
Olli

The funny thing is that I am getting ACC readings with Mavlink and Harakiri (tele_prot=3) when the board is armed. I don't know why it would not work on your system ... keep us posted.

Chris

niknaks

Post by niknaks »

id like to install Harakiri on a 2nd naze32 rev5 , but i dont understand what software i have to use.can some one do a walk through on what software you have to get

Rust

Post by Rust »

Mr-Fiero wrote:
Sometimes the quad skyrockets full throttle when in pos hold and the only way to stop it is switching back to angle. Throttle stick loses response.
Running default settings, tried to tune pos PID and it seems to hold pretty well, but it's scary when decides to go crazy :)
It likes to do it when I start to move the quad around. Sometimes happens when I increase the throttle to max for ascending, but not every time. And on top of that it does it for no reason (from time to time).

Except that, the quad flies nicely locked in. Gps functions work well, too.

and/or

Bad bearing it was. The thing is that I couldn't fix the problem with settings/filters. The only solution was taking out the vibration.
Result is very good though. Altitude hold and Position hold are rock solid!
I have a new issue now. Sometimes in Altitude Hold, when I back the throttle down to descent, the copter disarm itself in the air. Not so pleasant :) Is there a way to disable this automatic disarm or how to avoid the problem?

Rust

Post by Rust »

niknaks wrote:id like to install Harakiri on a 2nd naze32 rev5 , but i dont understand what software i have to use.can some one do a walk through on what software you have to get

Go through the first pages of this thread. You'll find most of the info you need there.
Read this http://fpv-treff.de/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1368&p=20580#p20580
You can flash harakiri with baseflight firmware flasher, but you can't connect with it anymore after that. For GUI you can use the old baseflight GUI (you can find a link in the second post here), multiwii GUI works too. There is no official harakiri GUI now, so there is a learning curve using CLI.

niknaks

Post by niknaks »

so whats better Harakiri all cleanflight

niknaks

Post by niknaks »

so whats better Harakiri all cleanflight

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Rust wrote:
niknaks wrote:id like to install Harakiri on a 2nd naze32 rev5 , but i dont understand what software i have to use.can some one do a walk through on what software you have to get

Go through the first pages of this thread. You'll find most of the info you need there.
Read this http://fpv-treff.de/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1368&p=20580#p20580
You can flash harakiri with baseflight firmware flasher, but you can't connect with it anymore after that. For GUI you can use the old baseflight GUI (you can find a link in the second post here), multiwii GUI works too. There is no official harakiri GUI now, so there is a learning curve using CLI.

Harakiri will connect to the Multiwii 2.2 GUI but not the 2.3.
You can also flash it with the STMicroelectronics flash demo loader. You short the boot pads while power on to put it in programming mode. The procedure is explained in the Naze32 version 3 docs.

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

leocopter wrote:The funny thing is that I am getting ACC readings with Mavlink and Harakiri (tele_prot=3) when the board is armed. I don't know why it would not work on your system ... keep us posted.
Chris

Hi Chris,

I realized that I was still running TestCode4 from April, but upgrading to "TestCode3Aug 5 2014" did do anything to the mavlink output. I am still not seeing ACC vars. What mavlink client / GCS software are using, what Harakiri version is your FC running? Are you sure that this is really ACC vars you are getting? Because I checked with Rob's Readme again, he does not mention ACC vars in there:
Heartbeat @ 1 Hz: Armed/Disarmed, Copter Type, Stabilized/Acro.
Sys_status @ 2 Hz: Sensors present and healthstatus. Voltage.
Attitude @30 Hz: TimeStamp(ms), roll/pitch/yaw(compass heading - RAD)
RC_Channels @ 2 Hz: RAW, unscaled 8 RC Channels and RSSI (currently unknown to naze)
VFR_HUD @10 Hz: Speed measured by GPS, scaled Throttle (0-100%), Baro Altitude, Variometer, compass heading (again, this time in Degree)
Scaled_pressure@ 0.5Hz: Gyro Temperature, Airpressure in hPa (mBar)

Anyway, what I did is that I connected with qgroundcontrol and took a look at the "Plot" Values and the Mavlink Inspector. So all I am seeing in the Inspector is what Rob mentiones as in the Readme. But, after taking a look at the variables, there is actually hdop and vdop in there. Cool! Now, if we can find ACC as well, that would be great! :)

Here is what I get in the Mavlink:

Cheers,
Oliver
Attachments
2014-11-11 Rockfish Mavlink.png

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

niknaks wrote:so whats better Harakiri all cleanflight

Harakiri for GPS and PH support, easy telemetry, better altitude hold, better yaw control. Also smart Failsafe options.
Cleanflight for the modern GUI, Softserial (nice) and a few options like OLED display (didn't work for me) and LED strips (didn't work either ...). Cleanfight is also ported to CC3D ... but I couldn't find I2C support ... so GPS is not an option without it.

niknaks

Post by niknaks »

so i connect with Multiwii 2.2 GUI but do i download testcode 4 or testcode 3? yes i know about flashing with flash loader thanks

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

Bamfax wrote:Here is what I get in the Mavlink:

Actually, looking at telemetry.c (which covers FrSky telemetry) seems like ACC is sent, but not HDOP/VDOP. And looking at baseflight_mavlink.c, which covers Mavlink, there does not seem to be neither. I am not an expert at reading source code, so I could be mistaken.

Cheers,
Olli

niknaks

Post by niknaks »

ok guys i got testcode4 installed and running and connect with Multiwii 2.2 GUI , but what are you using for CLi ? the text is mad when i try it use it' and i cant get gps working but hmm getting there lol is there any dump command you can type the see your setting. :D thanks alot guy from a newbie

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

Bamfax wrote: Actually, looking at telemetry.c (which covers FrSky telemetry) seems like ACC is sent, but not HDOP/VDOP. And looking at baseflight_mavlink.c, which covers Mavlink, there does not seem to be neither. I am not an expert at reading source code, so I could be mistaken.

baseflight_mavlink.c really seems to have the interesting bits. If I read it right, HDOP and VDOP is statically set to max, and ACC should not be transmitted, as it comes in the MAVLINK_MSG_ID_SCALED_IMU message, which is not sent by Harakiri.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Hi Oliver,
I'm using Testcode3 r73 and r79.
This is the read out on the Taranis :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQGElO ... e=youtu.be

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

niknaks wrote:ok guys i got testcode4 installed and running and connect with Multiwii 2.2 GUI , but what are you using for CLi ? the text is mad when i try it use it' and i cant get gps working but hmm getting there lol is there any dump command you can type the see your setting. :D thanks alot guy from a newbie

In the terminal (cli) type ### to stop the garbage being dumped on the screen. Then you will see a list of the available commands.

strips

Sv: Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by strips »

niknaks wrote:so i connect with Multiwii 2.2 GUI but do i download testcode 4 or testcode 3? yes i know about flashing with flash loader thanks

I have not been watching the thread for some weeks now. Unless there is some new development Testcode4 is an old failed version. Rob went back to TestCode3. This is what you should download. It is the latest.