Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Mr-Fiero

Re: Harakiri aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by Mr-Fiero »

I agree with Spotter6.

When I tune my units, I then re-test and have to ajust slightly in no wind conditions after (if I ever get no wind, rare). Its always a bit different, but getting a good lock in the wind is %95 of the battle. The rest is easy slight adjustments in Harakiri.

I dont have a way to compare with a different FC like the naza (would be an interesting test), but once Harakiri works in really bad conditions, and then I tweak it slightly for calm conditions, it just seems to always work for me. My wind has allot of turbulence at times so I know it works good when in that condition very well. If both conditions are tuned, then my units usually can handle anything for PH.

With my camera unit, I can stay in a position for a whole battery at a time, with maybe 10cm total movement from start to finish. even in different conditions including turbulence like wind through trees. (within reason for 10cm hold of course). I love it that Harakiri firmware is so tight as I use it for a video recorder/picture while I am doing other things.

@lld - your unit is looking really good. I dont think we are every really done tweaking, I know i never am.... :) i just went through the same example as your video for wind conditions. I was sitting at 35 degrees trying to move forward to get home... Yea, I had to try PH in the middle of flight in this condition, and it worked...LOL then I had to continue the fight back home before battery was used up. of course 35 degrees was not moving, so I had to crank on it to 45 to 55 to get moving.

I hope this weekend to get allot of fly time in. I tweaked my antenna on my junker to swr 1.01 No kidding.floats between 1.01 and 1.02 including coax... and on the RX swr 1.08 So, I will be going for more distance on the 1.2Gig 100mw system. Next time I'll use return loss mode on the tester for antenna tune. If I have time, I might build a Helix for the RX as right now it just a circular polarized clover. I bet if i went something directional I could get way further.

I was also trying on one multicopter to setup a sonar SR-04 in Harakiri, so I want to test that one as well this weekend. I think the sonar is different now though. I have had it running before, but I noticed now if I choose sonar type 1 is does not pulse anymore. but if I choose sonar type 0 (wrong one) it does generate pulses (fast, buzz). So, its wired right, its just not clicking in sonar 1 like it used to. Not sure why yet.

Hey, Crashpilot1000, is Harakiri capable of optical flow? I'm note sure where the code sits for that, or if it even has it. I thought I noticed a driver for it. I'll look at the code with my limited abilities and if its in there, I want to test just for the heck of it. I have two optical flow units kicking around in the pile. Its not important, I just like testing.

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

leocopter wrote:Hi Guys,
I really want to thank Crashpilot and MrFiero (and others too !) for their great work !
Thanks to you, I finally got PH working.
Here is a video of one of my OctoX8 flashed with Harakiri with MrFiero settings : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4QtOyQ ... e=youtu.be
The wind was at least 30 km/h with gusts of 50 +.
PH and RTH work very well. It was cloudy and I was in downtown Montreal (not to many good sats ...).
I sort of have a 'fleet' of quads, Hexs and now Octos ... (damn that 3D printer ... ;-) ). So If I can test some stuff for you let me know.
Keep up the good work ...

Hohohohooooo! Leo, I was thinking the same setup...a 250 class X8, so I will ask you about the mixer setting if you don't mind... ;)

Very nice "monamie" ;)

bulesz

MWOSD

Post by bulesz »

Guys, I'm a lil confused, is the MWOSD working with Harakiri or I have to use MINIMOSD Extra firmware?

Cheerz,
B

ww_kayak

Post by ww_kayak »

It's a little confusing from just reading the thread, but I have used all of them ( KVOSD, WMOSD, and MinimOSD). I think Harakari detects whether you are using the MW protocol or Mavlink. My biggest issue is getting all the info to show correctly (RSSI, Flight Modes, etc).

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

ww_kayak wrote:It's a little confusing from just reading the thread, but I have used all of them ( KVOSD, WMOSD, and MinimOSD). I think Harakari detects whether you are using the MW protocol or Mavlink. My biggest issue is getting all the info to show correctly (RSSI, Flight Modes, etc).

Thanks mate for the reply! I was asking because on the MW OSD topic one guy said the Harakiri is working only with MINIMOSD Extra due Mavlink...

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick »

I wish someone would come out with a proper GUI for Harakiri, with integrated CLI and map, showing sat strengths, etc.
I find the existing ones very temperamental, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Also it would negate having to use a terminal program and a GUI.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

bulesz wrote:
leocopter wrote:Hi Guys,
I really want to thank Crashpilot and MrFiero (and others too !) for their great work !
Thanks to you, I finally got PH working.
Here is a video of one of my OctoX8 flashed with Harakiri with MrFiero settings : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4QtOyQ ... e=youtu.be
The wind was at least 30 km/h with gusts of 50 +.
PH and RTH work very well. It was cloudy and I was in downtown Montreal (not to many good sats ...).
I sort of have a 'fleet' of quads, Hexs and now Octos ... (damn that 3D printer ... ;-) ). So If I can test some stuff for you let me know.
Keep up the good work ...

Hohohohooooo! Leo, I was thinking the same setup...a 250 class X8, so I will ask you about the mixer setting if you don't mind... ;)

Very nice "monamie" ;)

The mixer is OctoX8. The 'top' motors have the same output pins as the QuadX (Front left going clockwise : 4-2-1-3)
The 'bottom' motors are (8-6-5-7). Motors 7 and 8 are connected to Rc pins 5 and 6 ... so 3 and 4 are free for GPS Tx and Rx.

Cheers

Chris

leocopter

Re: MWOSD

Post by leocopter »

bulesz wrote:Guys, I'm a lil confused, is the MWOSD working with Harakiri or I have to use MINIMOSD Extra firmware?

Cheerz,
B

MWOSD works with Harakiri. It uses the MW protocol not MavLink. I got mine 'sort of' working ... I get the artificial horizon moving ... but it stays 'DISARMED' even when I arm ... and I don't see the flight modes change ...
Can anyone tell me how to get it working properly ?

Chris

shackfu

Post by shackfu »

Hi,
I had some issues with my internal compass (drifted during throttle up).
My small copter had no more possibilites in ordering the components in another way, so I unsoldered the internal HMC5883L from the FLIP32+
and hooked up the external compass of my GPS/Mag Combo Board (CJMCU-108 / UBLOX NEO-6M HMC5883L) via I2C.
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/cjmcu-108-apm-2-6-flight-controller-gps-6m-hmc5883l-compass-module-for-multi-rotors.html

Now I am getting weird values because the compass is mounted in a different way compared to the original Flip32 orientation.

Can anybody describe the impact of following parameters?

align_mag_x = 0
align_mag_y = 0
align_mag_z = 0

In the picture below is my setup. The compass is mounted on the underside of the GPS-Antenna (upside-down) - I mirrored the PCB, so you are looking "through" the Antenna.
I had to turn the Flip to get access to the USB-Port, so I had to configure:

align_board_yaw = 3

I tried already a bunch of combinations, but missed the right one :cry:
Attachments
Mag-Umbau.jpg

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Quick question over the 80MHz on STM32

On Baseflight it is possible by CLI to increase from 72Mhz to 80MHz the CPU clock in order to avoid interferences with 433MHz RX

Apparently on Harakiri this option is not there, since the clock set up library is an "old one"

But ... odd enough ... I did flash Baseflight on my DIY Naze32 ... overclock to 80Mhz .. then update Harakiri test code (the last available, that is looking got some update in the last X months) ... and typing status ... bingo I see 80Mhz now ...

Possibly TestCode3 does not mess around with the multiplier and leave them as pre-assigned ...

Anyhow ... I think add the 80Mhz stuff should not be a big issue ... since I plan to run DIY 433MHz RX ... I need 80Mhz ... also 80Mhz sound better then 72Mhz to me ;-)

Anybody running 80Mhz on Harakiri ?

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ e_lm_70
I could be wrong, but I thought i saw something in the code that it was already set to 80MHz.

@ anyone that knows devorssi
I have set my openlrs to inject RSSI onto ch9 via PPM and it works. I confirmed it while logged in via bluetooth to the FC and looking at channels via multiwii gui. It works great. I did however enable devorssi = 1 and I think that is why the FC sees it on the last channel aux5.

Is there anyway to use RSSI to trigger RTL, FS, or any conditions? I want to do range testing, and it would be so nice to have that as a backup. I guess if its not possible, I could always use the dead pilot as well( probably better idea). but I would still like to the RSSI maybe to pass to my OSD. with devorssi, is it already injecting via mavlink to the minumosd? I guess I should teardown to my minumosd and re-program as I dont think i left the rssi reading active.

I am going to make my own OpenLRS 1Watt receivers with PPM only, and I will be adding a 20MHz bandpass SAW filter to the inputs. Already ordered the Hope RFM23B modules and am going to use arduino nano's on the backside heatshrunk together. $15.00 1W Receivers. Cant beat that. So this is why I am trying to get everything to pass on PPM.

Oh, does anyone know what would happen if I set the fs_ddplt to an active number, and then was flying sticks centered while in PH over the fs_ddplt time? I am assuming it would activate FS.

If I have to, I guess I can just use failsafe in OpenLRS and have it set to RTL, or whatever. that way if radio looses contact, it would automatically go to flight mode RTL. I would of preferred to do it in the Harakiri somehow but I think it might conflict flight styles.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Interesting project Mr-Fiero

I'm also doing DIY OpenLRSng ... but why 1W Receiver ?
Do you want to have telemetry ?
If you have OSD already ... why also Telemetry ... ok for redundancy it make sense ... still 1W TX 433Mhz will make quite some noise to the GPS

I also plan to use OpenLRS but NG with Harakiri ... but I like the cheap 3.5$ module (5$ for a RX) that are good as receiver but relative poor for transmit.
Also since I will use the 3.3v from the DIY Naze32 ... I better don't use too much power, since this bus is used also for the GY-86 .. and telemetry RX do make some noise on the input voltage bus ... I can clearly see it on my FrSky RX

PS: Looking at Harakiri test code .. there is no 80Mhz support ... but the code does not mess much with PLL multiplier ... so if the PLL multiplier is pre-set to 80Mhz, then Harakiri will keep it.
Add 80Mhz support is quick change in the code ... it is just few extra line of code on basweflight ... in the STM lib used for initialize the chip

Bamfax

Post by Bamfax »

Fiero, devorssi is me. It came from here: http://www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-questions/1845-ppm-cppm-receiver?start=20. Rob was so kind to implement it in Harakiri. Devorssi = 1 triggers reading the last channel as RSSI. This is about it. Unfortunately, since there is still no other RSSI implementation like feeding it from a hardware input, there is also still no code for further actions based upon the RSSI signal. Also, as I last looked at the mavlink output with devorssi enabled, I could not find the RSSI signal in the mavlink RSSI variables.

Rust

Post by Rust »

Baldrick wrote:I wish someone would come out with a proper GUI for Harakiri, with integrated CLI and map, showing sat strengths, etc.
I find the existing ones very temperamental, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Also it would negate having to use a terminal program and a GUI.

+1
It should be way more convenient.
A short description of the CLI variables/features/commands will be of much help as well.
Searching the whole thread is a bit pita.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ e_lm_70

Several reasons why I want the 1W. But your right, redundancy being the biggest reason. I dont think that it will get much into my GPS. I have more issues with my 1.2GHz video than with the OpenLRS. I think with the SAW bandpass filter I am going to use, it wont affect GPS signals at all. Lets hope.....lol

I like the cheaper modules from hope RF, but the 22B and 23B is EOL. So, I am just purchasing while they are available and building what I need. If I build 1W RX, I can also use them as TX if ever needed in the future.

Also, running 1W tx, will give me realistic beeps on the missed packet indicator on the RC TX. I have learned to appreciate the feature.

I should mention that I am using the NG firmwares for OpenLRSng. I have already programmed my arduino nano boards and they are ready to run. 5 or 6 wires to the 23B's when I get them, add filter, sma, heatshrink, and done. Cant wait to see how they perform. I noticed the Hawkeye 1W RX is $89.00. so, building a $15 unit is awesome. I think you will enjoy building the 22B's. I was tempted, mostly for the reason of weight, and of course price. You know, HopeRF lists LoRa modules. Wow, the specs list it as an extremely sensitive module for long range data at low power. interesting, but I dont know if it would work with the OpenLRS code. If only I could write code.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ Bamfax

Well, if its you....thanks, it works for devorssi, and thanks Rob for putting it in Harakiri. Its interesting.

Sadly, its not implemented. I am only guessing, but I think it would be so easy as its already appearing on my last aux channel and ranges from 1000 to 2000 depending of signals. that is awesome. Now that you told me it wont trigger anything, and is not in the mavlink, you saved me looking for setup issues.

But, I think what I will try now is to try to trigger directly from aux ch 9. I'll find something safe just for testing.

I think it would be an awesome feature to include RSSI maybe to trigger FS, or as a condition. At the very least maybe someday mavlink to have it would be nice....wishing...a geofence triggered by RSSI....wishing more...I bet Crashpilot1000 has interest already and that is why he put it into Harakiri. I'll have to keep an eye on devorssi now.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

@Mr-Fiero

I'm building also DIY OpenLRSng ... here is my thread on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114859 ... actually I just show prototypes for bench test there .. in practice I have a more clean finish DIY result.

I'm using cheap Si4432 like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SI4432-470MHz-1 ... 1465881537 ... that cost 3.2$ shipped ... with a ArduinoPro Mini ... it come down to less then 6$ each.

I did compare the range between a HobbyKing OpenLRS RX and my DIY RX ... they both perform the same. Even if on DIY I use the cheap included spring antenna.

Running them at 3.3v from the DIY STM32 Naze32 regulator make a perfect match

So ... I should maiden soon my DIY Naze32 with Harakiri + DIY OpenLRSng ... on a new copter that I recently got ...

BTW ... did you run "status" from your CLI ... latest Harakiri version show the CPU speed (previous version did not) ... I'm quite sure that if you did not overclock the STM32 with baseflight before .. it can't run at 80Mhz .. since I can't see anywhere the code for 80Mhz in Harakiri TestCode 3

Firepower

Post by Firepower »

I just got the full house Naze32 board today and can someone tell me where to start in regard to the Harakiri program.

Thanks
Col

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ e_lm_70
Ah, Thank you for the links of your project. Very interesting indeed. I was interested in the Si4432 module as well but i did not know if OpenLRSng would support it. Excellent idea for having 3.3v only onboard. I have already stocked up with the 3.3 DC/DC modules you list. I really like them and they perform very well.

Your link is exactly what i was going to do. Now its simplified on one page. Thank you very much! Now I have to re-visit building more modules with the Si4432 like you did. I have a friend that would appreciate RX's.

To answer your question, I run status all the time, but always overlooked proc speed readout. Now you got me thinking. checking now... I think i left a unit powered so GPS would be warm....

yep
System Uptime: 33365 sec, Volt: 0 * 0.1V (2S battery)
CPU 80MHz, detected sensors: ACC BARO MAG GPS
Cycle Time: 3018, I2C Errors: 0

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Mr-Fiero wrote:@ e_lm_70
Ah, Thank you for the links of your project. Very interesting indeed. I was interested in the Si4432 module as well but i did not know if OpenLRSng would support it. Excellent idea for having 3.3v only onboard. I have already stocked up with the 3.3 DC/DC modules you list. I really like them and they perform very well.

Your link is exactly what i was going to do. Now its simplified on one page. Thank you very much! Now I have to re-visit building more modules with the Si4432 like you did. I have a friend that would appreciate RX's.

To answer your question, I run status all the time, but always overlooked proc speed readout. Now you got me thinking. checking now... I think i left a unit powered so GPS would be warm....

yep
System Uptime: 33365 sec, Volt: 0 * 0.1V (2S battery)
CPU 80MHz, detected sensors: ACC BARO MAG GPS
Cycle Time: 3018, I2C Errors: 0

My RCG page over OpenLRSng need to be updated

There is still the "old" schematic ... that I did use only for my prove of concept on the bench.
Now I'm building these DIY module using the SOP Adapters ... and I did update the firmware for handle a new PIN order.
The final design has no cabling ... all get solder in place using the PIN .. that get aligned by "magic".

This is how it is looking like .. only missing thing is the PPM out that is PIN9 on ProMini .. so nicely at the back of the board

Here are the adapter that I use

I will need to post my "board" definition on OpenLRSng ... that is working fine.

Be aware ... black module don't work ... I got only the spectrum analyzer function from them .. but I don't get any biding using them ...
As you can see ... I had 2 black module ... that are as good as dead .. one have been already disassembled ... in total I have 3 working green module.

What it is nice, it is that I can program the RX using a DIY TX ... without having to mess with my "BIG 1W Orange OpenLRS module from HobbyKing"

As well .. for 1W RX version ... you could use the HobbyKing TX .. and reflash as RX ... 29$ not too bad ... even if in these days I don't like to promote HobbyKing biznes ... since I'm getting poor support in my latest problem with their product/shipping

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

About 80Mhz ... strange ... I can't see in the code the 80Mhz hack ... at least not in the same place that BaseFlight did put it ... but ... I start to think "Crashpilot1000" did already add 80Mhz support ;-)

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

e_lm_70 wrote:About 80Mhz ... strange ... I can't see in the code the 80Mhz hack ... at least not in the same place that BaseFlight did put it ... but ... I start to think "Crashpilot1000" did already add 80Mhz support ;-)

sometime ago, I am sure it was in the notes, somewhere. It just stuck in my head because I knew it would shift the harmonic and I remember thinking that was great Harakiri already did it.

I love your OpenLRSng boards, they look VERY sweet. Nice work. Now i think that I am going to build it that way, with a small coax/tail with sma. (just need to figure how to get my SAW in there) Nice clean hookups to arduino board.

thanks for sharing your project!

Yea, I just did the same as you , the other night. I just setup an RX as a TX myself so I can log into all my RX's, change programming, save, then rebind to my main RC TX. Without having to link in through my Hawkeye JR module. Its a major time saver. Not always is my RC TX positioned in my work area. I usually leave my RC TX in the garage ready for flight. So, Having a dedicated way to program RX's from workshop at a minimal expense has been awesome. Its just too easy now.

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

I've an interesting discovery today:

I've found comm speed from GPS to Naze is most RELIABLE at 57,600baud.

With that speed and running GPS at 5Hz, Naze32 (with HaraKiri) is most likely ready to fly (connected to warm booted GPS) within 10sec of power up, as soon as the first string of Red flashes on Naze is completed.

At 115,200baud with GPS, Naze32 can sit there for many minutes not recognizing GPS signal, and the GPS sensor Ready light on MW GUI 22 would not light up. But at 57600, it is almost instant after Naze bootup. It can work at 115,200baud talking to GPS, but not reliable.

EDIT: I'm having communication issues between GPS module (that I modified) and Naze, that I'm trying to trace. At this point, it's not correct to attribute that to baud rates. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Spotter6 on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

e_lm_70 wrote:@Mr-Fiero

I'm building also DIY OpenLRSng ... here is my thread on RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114859 ... actually I just show prototypes for bench test there .. in practice I have a more clean finish DIY result.

I'm using cheap Si4432 like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SI4432-470MHz-1 ... 1465881537 ... that cost 3.2$ shipped ... with a ArduinoPro Mini ... it come down to less then 6$ each.

I did compare the range between a HobbyKing OpenLRS RX and my DIY RX ... they both perform the same. Even if on DIY I use the cheap included spring antenna.

Running them at 3.3v from the DIY STM32 Naze32 regulator make a perfect match

So ... I should maiden soon my DIY Naze32 with Harakiri + DIY OpenLRSng ... on a new copter that I recently got ...

BTW ... did you run "status" from your CLI ... latest Harakiri version show the CPU speed (previous version did not) ... I'm quite sure that if you did not overclock the STM32 with baseflight before .. it can't run at 80Mhz .. since I can't see anywhere the code for 80Mhz in Harakiri TestCode 3

Hi el_m,

you're right about the black boards, they don't work. I built one and it doesn't bind. I'd like to get some of your 'inter connecting' boards ... makes it much easier. The big limitation I find is that you're limited to 4 channels.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

How about, can you bind a black to a black?

Anyways, I am happy , devorssi set to ch5 and condition for GPS home on L (1000) works perfectly. Awesome, now I can range test with another layer of security. now if my RSSI hits nothing, it starts to RTL, but I can override if it comes back into range.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Mr-Fiero wrote:How about, can you bind a black to a black?

Anyways, I am happy , devorssi set to ch5 and condition for GPS home on L (1000) works perfectly. Awesome, now I can range test with another layer of security. now if my RSSI hits nothing, it starts to RTL, but I can override if it comes back into range.

I got only two "black si4432" modules ... one is failing to act as Spectrum Analyzer ... but only sometime :shock: ... so no ... they did not bind each other ... not that I did try too hard.

One of the build up module with black si4432 got disassembled

PS: Does Harakiri accept 9ch PPM ? ... I would like to use 9th ch as RSSI ..
How did you set up the RTL with low RSI ? ... Guess it is just a normal channel on your Harakiri set up ... so .. actually RTL is activated for low RSSI :?:

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Anybody use LCD on Harakiri ... I see the CRIUS LCD works fine .. it has a nice welcome page ... with number of SAT and LAT-LONG ... but to navigate the setting is terrible.

Not sure if it can make sense if I port my KK2 MW LCD on Harakiri ...

Using bluetooth and Android sound more "quick"

PS: I'm planing my Harakiri board that need to get inside a not really friendly accessible quad copter ...

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Maiden my XuGong 10" with Harakiri DIY and DIY OpenLRSng ... all gone very smooth

I gotta to reduce the min throttle since on SimonK or on my set up at 1100 do really spin quite fast.

I also cut the Aileron and Pitch to 50% ... (used my Taranis .. which I still don't know how to quickly set up an expo)
By default Harakiri has 80% expo .. but I did removed

Anyhow ... it fly really stable ... clearly I would not have expect nothing less from a SimonK ESC and XuGong 10" ... even if I put some unbalanced cheap prop ... this frame has a big anti vibration system that isolate control board, battery. etc ..

GPS on bench test did do good ... nice the auto speed GPS and set up ... I'm using a ublox 8 that has not eeprom ... so ...

Gotta to try more in deep later .. so far ... so good ...

PS: I hope to get ultra stable PH as other people got here ...

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

e_lm_70 wrote:
Mr-Fiero wrote:How about, can you bind a black to a black?

I got only two "black si4432" modules ... one is failing to act as Spectrum Analyzer ... but only sometime :shock: ... so no ... they did not bind each other ... not that I did try too hard.

One of the build up module with black si4432 got disassembled

PS: Does Harakiri accept 9ch PPM ? ... I would like to use 9th ch as RSSI ..
How did you set up the RTL with low RSI ? ... Guess it is just a normal channel on your Harakiri set up ... so .. actually RTL is activated for low RSSI :?:

good to know black modules just wont work....thanks for the heads up.

I should also mention, it will over-ride the failsafe on the OpenLRSng as that channel thinks its active. but, when I turn my RC TX off, failsafe via Harakiri, or should i say, flight mode does work and other PPM stayed at proper settings for me. until i switched on again then it took over flight mode back to my RC TX setting, even if it was different. I still need to test this more. The only thing I worry about is what if you are turning or something, and then out of range, does it keep those PPM values while kicking to RTL. I dont think it would but need to test. My weather is snow storm....sucks, and its wierd, so it will be a few days to test for me. If you can, let me know.

If I have time, I'll try to reduce my RSSI on the bench while TX is output pitch or roll, and see what happens when RTL is activated via RSSI low.

as far as i can tell harakiri will accept 6 aux channels, there was notes not to use beyond 6 AUX. so 10 total PPM.
cli commands

# RSSI on AUX5 set to RTL on LOW uses devorssi
set devorssi = 1
set rc_auxch = 5
auxset 06 05 l

then program your OpenLRSng RX to inject rssi on ch9 , my defaults ch9 was not used for anything. I dont know if it was intentional, but i have no issues with using it for rssi. multiwii gui will view the additonal aux channel so you can see when your done if its reading rssi.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Which GUI do you use for see AUX5 ?

Java MW GUI, show only up to AUX4
Ezio Android up .. does the same

I think there is no CLI command for see the RC input data ...

I think I need to expose the boot0 pin for update the firmware ... I have the DIY Naze32 board enclosed in the XuGong ... it take ages to open and close back ...

Checking at the code ... devorssi is only for pass out to telemetry the RSSI .. nothing else is done in Harakiri with it.

About setting auxset 06 05 l ... I'm afraid it may kick in too early ... what if RSSI is low, but there is still control .. and the board activate RTL due to low RSSI ...
I think is better to properly define a fail safe on the RX

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Mr-Fiero wrote:
Spotter6 wrote:
Did you posted an older FW that is tighter? I'd like to try it. If I make the entire top plate of the F330 copper foil'd, may be that will suite the better signal requirement.

Only because you are interested......
Here is a Ublox config (programmed via Ucenter) that is tighter (much less deviation) if you want to play with it. Its a bit more aggressive and may not agree with smaller antenna's. Your mileage may vary. It works very well for one of my test units.

If you use this file, put in in your Ublox and use gps_type = 4 for testing.

You will take longer for lock, and probably less SV's, but deviation is way less. Its also 5.85hz NAV update with SVINFO active. 38400 baud. (correction)

UPDATE
See newer file/notes below....I guess this file now is compatible with APM2.5 ...... 38400 buad..... my mistake. Download the 115200 file instead, not this one..... I'll leave it hear though incase anyone runs at 38400. I noticed is cause i plugged in the rover, and it was already talking without changing baud.

Very impressive GPS Hold, Mr-Fiero !!!

I finally got it working with v79 of Testcode (not v73 as you indicated) and it held tighter than mine.

Let me put it this way, from the perspective of a golfer that I am: the flag poles on the golf course greens would swing more in tonight's fairly strong evening wind, than my TestF330 with your GPS config and HaraKiri.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Further testing of my RSSI RTL
OpenLRS failsafe settings stays active and trips via RX (be sure to set openlrs failsafe values)

devorssi trips RTL very nice. usually the case would be, if RSSI trips a low, which wont be quite 1000 PWM it will activate whatever via AUX5 (or AUX6) slightly earlier than the openlrs failsafe kicks in. Not sure yet if this really matters.

The real question is, again, if you are banking or turning while RSSI trips low, will Harakiri go to RTL, or still take its input from values from RX? I still need to test more. Lets put it this way, if RSSI kicks in slightly sooner than openlrs failsafe values, what happens if RTL is activated while channels are still active and off center. there is a small window between the two conditions that might make RTL (or whatever) be ignored for a bit.

Thinking more, would it really matter if it switched to RTL via RSSI slighly sooner if I still had control? I'm thinking maybe not because it would still kick in when the openlrs failsafe returns stick centre (two conditions met). I guess they would work together just fine. If by some chance RSSI was not working, the openlrs values will still be the last over-ride condition.

If anyone has any thoughts and knows openlrs better, let me know.....Its not critical, just playin. Regardless, devorssi is very cool.
Last edited by Mr-Fiero on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ Spotter6
Perfect! now you know that its possible. just get that GPS locked down so its stable, and things will be good for GPS functions on Harakiri. Smaller frame multicopters are harder to tune, so if your that tight, freakin awesome!

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

e_lm_70 wrote:Which GUI do you use for see AUX5 ?

Java MW GUI, show only up to AUX4
Ezio Android up .. does the same

I think there is no CLI command for see the RC input data ...

I think I need to expose the boot0 pin for update the firmware ... I have the DIY Naze32 board enclosed in the XuGong ... it take ages to open and close back ...

Checking at the code ... devorssi is only for pass out to telemetry the RSSI .. nothing else is done in Harakiri with it.

About setting auxset 06 05 l ... I'm afraid it may kick in too early ... what if RSSI is low, but there is still control .. and the board activate RTL due to low RSSI ...
I think is better to properly define a fail safe on the RX

well, the gui is multiwii 2.2, and Baseflight GUI both saw the extra channel. but you need to disconnect and re-connect before the new active AUX appears.
set rc_auxch = 5 // this sets to 5 total aux's instead of 4.
yea, i was looking in the cli and wished it had a readout as well.

anyways, I added more to my devorssi project. and my conclusion now is i dont think it matters if it kicks in early, because its still under active RC control. and if sticks are not centred, it is not RTL, but as a 2nd condition is met by openlrs failsafe, RTL would then go active.

the real issue, is i have to figure out if there is a benefit for RSSI trigger RTL. It would be better suited for failsafe on Harakiri. But in any case, devorssi has good value! It works great right now, and CAN trigger conditions. It just has to be a condition that is compatible with situation..

Spotter6

Post by Spotter6 »

Mr-Fiero wrote:@ Spotter6
Perfect! now you know that its possible. just get that GPS locked down so its stable, and things will be good for GPS functions on Harakiri. Smaller frame multicopters are harder to tune, so if your that tight, freakin awesome!

From what I was seeing, I think this combination of HW+SW+FW results in better hold than Naza V2. It's the class above Naza.

The only glaring thing about this FW is, like it's already mentioned, not having GUI and CLI in the same interface.

I'm doing F450 next!

Then try RTL or RTH.

Why this, vs. Naza ??? This gives me Total Control on what the end performance will be!

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Spotter6 wrote:
Mr-Fiero wrote:@ Spotter6

From what I was seeing, I think this combination of HW+SW+FW results in better hold than Naza V2. It's the class above Naza.

The only glaring thing about this FW is, like it's already mentioned, not having GUI and CLI in the same interface.

I'm doing F450 next!

Then try RTL or RTH.

Why this, vs. Naza ??? This gives me Total Control on what the end performance will be!

I have mentioned this before, but its really hard to have a gui for firmware that is dynamically changing. i like looking in the FC at the cli and if there are new variables, i dont have to guess if they are included in the gui. for simple tune settings, multiwii gui works pretty good, and there are some nice android software options.

I used to like gui's, but over time i got so i did not trust them. If anyone is ever curious about the settings in Harakiri, if you look at the source code, and look at the config file, Rob has very updated notes. Actually there is a lot of info inside all the source files. human readable. saying all this, however, a good wiki would be good for nubies.

if someday, the firmware is complete, then yes, a gui would be awesome.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

my next project for Harakiri involves my lightweight unit. I am trying to shave 100 more grams from it, and thats a challenge. right now its at 800g because it has flip32+, 35mm active on Neo6, MinumOSD, 100mw 1.2GHz Video TX, Sony 1/3 cam, OpenLRS, and is 600 in size with CF frame/props 920kv motors. My flight time with 2x2200mah 3S is 33 percent more than my other units that already can do 15 minutes. it used to weigh 700g but the camera and tx added to my wieght.

So, shaving more weight if i can, and loading it up with 18650 Panasonic 3400mah cells x 12. 3S x 4 wich will give me 13600mah but the battery pack is 580g. Having 4 in paralell should also give me 32Amps drain ability. but this will bring my AUW to 1380g (hopefully less) wich is still less than my other units. I figure i will get 30 minutes easy, but how much really should be interesting! Those new panasonic batteries are almost double power density to anything else available today. Should be an interesting test. My real pain, is waiting for the mail.......nasty. Lets see how Gtune handles this unit when I am ready.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Mr-Fiero wrote:
well, the gui is multiwii 2.2, and Baseflight GUI both saw the extra channel. but you need to disconnect and re-connect before the new active AUX appears.
set rc_auxch = 5 // this sets to 5 total aux's instead of 4.
yea, i was looking in the cli and wished it had a readout as well.

anyways, I added more to my devorssi project. and my conclusion now is i dont think it matters if it kicks in early, because its still under active RC control. and if sticks are not centred, it is not RTL, but as a 2nd condition is met by openlrs failsafe, RTL would then go active.

the real issue, is i have to figure out if there is a benefit for RSSI trigger RTL. It would be better suited for failsafe on Harakiri. But in any case, devorssi has good value! It works great right now, and CAN trigger conditions. It just has to be a condition that is compatible with situation..

Strange ... since Harakiri is MultiWii 2.1 based ... I'm mainly using 2.1 Java GUI ... but 2.2 and 2.3 do connect as well ... still none show the extra channel.
I did properly set it up .. in fact from the CLI if I display the AUX function, it does show me the AUX5 as possible input ...

What I'm not sure is what does output my RX .. since the RX configuration has been done for inject RSSI on CH9
But ... the TX configuration was done quite some time ago .. and I don't recall how I did set it up ... I did burn 3 Orange OpenLRS 1W TX due to the serial connection ... even using the 3.3v serial adapter ... last time was on a old OpenLRSng version that GUI kick in only at start up .. but power up the TX module with serial 3.3v adapter connected did kill the ATmega chip on the module :oops: ....

Baseflight GUI ... the chrome application does not even connect to my Harakiri :shock:

I don't think I will ever use this RSSI as AUX5 ... still I would like see if I can make it work ... at the moment I don't have a OSD ... but clearly with OSD RSSI is very important

I'm going to hack the code ... and have the input RC visible on CLI

I guess there is no way I can update the firmware over bluetooth without move jumper boot0 ... :?: ... so I gotta to open the XuGong shell ... and plug a cable extension with a switch for be able to access boot0

Anyhow ... I plan to add my classic multiwii hacking on harakiri .. like my action mode .. the climb and the 360deg rotation ... :ugeek: ... at least

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Mr-Fiero wrote:my next project for Harakiri involves my lightweight unit. I am trying to shave 100 more grams from it, and thats a challenge. right now its at 800g because it has flip32+, 35mm active on Neo6, MinumOSD, 100mw 1.2GHz Video TX, Sony 1/3 cam, OpenLRS, and is 600 in size with CF frame/props 920kv motors. My flight time with 2x2200mah 3S is 33 percent more than my other units that already can do 15 minutes. it used to weigh 700g but the camera and tx added to my wieght.

So, shaving more weight if i can, and loading it up with 18650 Panasonic 3400mah cells x 12. 3S x 4 wich will give me 13600mah but the battery pack is 580g. Having 4 in paralell should also give me 32Amps drain ability. but this will bring my AUW to 1380g (hopefully less) wich is still less than my other units. I figure i will get 30 minutes easy, but how much really should be interesting! Those new panasonic batteries are almost double power density to anything else available today. Should be an interesting test. My real pain, is waiting for the mail.......nasty. Lets see how Gtune handles this unit when I am ready.

Sounds like a plan... ;)

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Mr-Fiero wrote:my next project for Harakiri involves my lightweight unit. I am trying to shave 100 more grams from it, and thats a challenge. right now its at 800g because it has flip32+, 35mm active on Neo6, MinumOSD, 100mw 1.2GHz Video TX, Sony 1/3 cam, OpenLRS, and is 600 in size with CF frame/props 920kv motors. My flight time with 2x2200mah 3S is 33 percent more than my other units that already can do 15 minutes. it used to weigh 700g but the camera and tx added to my wieght.

I don't suggest to use 18650 Panasonic cells .. it will be fine only for 1C discharge ... plus all the pain for build up your own packs.

HobbyKing recently introduced the MultiStar 10C .. these are quite light pack ... not as light as 18650 .. but these are well usable for 5C application ... so for fly time above 12min. While Panasonic you need a crazy copter capable to stay in the air for 1hour

HobbyKing did announce a new generation of low C MultiStar ... only 2C .. but double the density of the current already light 10C ... possibly these will be on the same league if not better then Panasonic .. mainly for fly over 40min ... the C rating is always optimistic ... still .. way better then DIY 18650 .. that is a really pain DIY .. some 18650 come with a protection circuit ... on top

The only issue with these new MultiStar packs ... is that these are sold only by HobbyKing .. that in the recent months did became a total junk company ... they do show biznes on youTube at the cost of higher price and worst customer support

PS: For fly longer ... go light is one option ... but the other option .. is to go for the biggest possible prop ... that in these days is 17" prop .. above prop this price go crazy high

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

+1, my next project will be an extra light bird as Kauaiguy did...: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st29560694

H frame with 3 carbon tubes + 3xxx class 470kv motors with 13 - 14 props on 5S...

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

bulesz wrote:+1, my next project will be an extra light bird as Kauaiguy did...: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st29560694

H frame with 3 carbon tubes + 3xxx class 470kv motors with 13 - 14 props on 5S...

Why 5S ... 4S are more easily available and cheaper ... 4S vs 5S or 6S ... it will not make any visible efficiency difference ... I'm even questioning the sense of go to 8S

Also most of ESC handle up to 4S, mainly all the cheap one goes at 4S at best

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

e_lm_70 wrote:
bulesz wrote:+1, my next project will be an extra light bird as Kauaiguy did...: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st29560694

Why 5S ... 4S are more easily available and cheaper ... 4S vs 5S or 6S ... it will not make any visible efficiency difference ... I'm even questioning the sense of go to 8S

Also most of ESC handle up to 4S, mainly all the cheap one goes at 4S at best

5S is more efficient:

http://www.besthobbymall.com/multirotor ... t3110.html

With 5S on 100% throttle eats 10A and provides 1400g thrust. with 4S on 12A 1350g...BUT, because it will be an extreme light bird I could pick the 4S because on hover those are ~ identical...(2,4 vs 2,5 A and 537g vs 536g)...most of the time will fly at around 40% with this cruiser...
And because the 4S lipo is lighter than the 5S.

But it is a future project for the next Spring... ;)

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

bulesz wrote:
5S is more efficient:

http://www.besthobbymall.com/multirotor ... t3110.html

With 5S on 100% throttle eats 10A and provides 1400g thrust. with 4S on 12A 1350g...BUT, because it will be an extreme light bird I could pick the 4S because on hover those are ~ identical...(2,4 vs 2,5 A and 537g vs 536g)...most of the time will fly at around 40% with this cruiser...
And because the 4S lipo is lighter than the 5S.

But it is a future project for the next Spring... ;)

Very very strange numbers indeed ...

A 11x4.7 prop that is more efficient at all power level compared to a 14x4.7 .. with just 1S difference ... it is very very odd.

Also ... quite unbelievable the reported thrust per the RPM level ... per http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_thrust.htm ... the thrust per the reported RPM should be 30% less then what they state

Per the "theory" a 14x4.7 vs 11x4.7 .. with both making over 1100g thrust ... the 14" need ~10% less power ... now ... moving from 4S to 5S ... I don't believe the 10% energy difference is waste in the motor efficiency

At lower RPM ... it thing the delta is even more visible ... for make 500g thrust a 14" need 34.8w vs 37.5w of 11"

There is no question that bigger prop is more efficient ... but smaller prop is more "flyable"

Anyhow ... quite off topic for GPS and Harakiri ... so ... sorry for it

PS: What .. you don't fly in winter time ?

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

I fly my mini 250, just in testing phase. and after that I will start to build the big light machine...the little 250 will be the mad, and the big 500 class will be the cruiser... ;)

So back on Harakiri, where is our beloved developer? Rob where are you? we miss you Bruder! ;)

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ e_lm_70
Thanks for all the thoughts. I like considering other options.

I do not want bigger props. I have tried them and they are very sluggish and in my area I am wind challenged. so bigger props are not an option.

your right about the smaller discharge rate on the panasonic battery, but 8 amps per cell x 4 parallel is 32Amps, so it should be just OK, but enough for a test. (too late now as they are on their way). I am now going to consider your suggestion about the multistars and see if they are as you say double the density. Thats very interesting.
I totally agree with your comments about Hobby King. I have used them allot to date, but in the last few months its getting really bad for QC. I tried to even have a short communication with Anthony Hand for other projects, but they consider it a security problem. (weird because other companies are very open) And one last thing that sits weird with HK now. The other night i was looking at one of their OpenLRS boards, and it says patent pending. I told the wife thats weird because the schematics are open-source as well as the code, how are they able to apply for a patent? It just sits weird with me. We love the prices on similar items, but they come at the cost of being copied at HK. Too bad their batteries are so competitive otherwise I think I am phasing them out.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

@ bulesz
yea, whats that about not flying in the winter?.....LOL
Thanks for the link and combo. That is interesting for sure.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Once quick comment

If you are using "small" prop ... I think the best you can use are 10C MultiStat .. I don't expect Panasonic to have any usage under 1 hour .. and I hard to believe you can get 40min fly time with small prop .. possibly for "medium" prop .. 13" ... you may get close to 1h on a hexa copter

Anybody pass the gimbal control (brushless) from Harakiri to the gimbal ?
I had to hack my MultiWii on my x900 for have a trigger from control board to gimbal ...

I know I can Y the PPM cable .. but I would prefer to have gimbal under Harakiri PWM control.

PS: Yes ... I'm now mounting a mobius on gimbal on XuGong running Harakiri ... also cabled out the cable for update the firmware without open ... still .. I will need to open once again for connect the Harakiri to the gimbal control.

Mr-Fiero

Post by Mr-Fiero »

Ah, thanks e_lm_70
I was just hunting for the multistars and could not find them.....especially twice the density. So if new ones are on their way, that should be interesting.

I tried a servo gimbal on Harakiri and it was working very well. My other unit has brushless but I am not done with my gimbal. I had to order larger motors. But soon I will be testing against Harakiri.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

The MultiStar 2C are not on the market now ... they just show prototypes recently ...
The MultiStar 10C are available since weeks ... in all warehouses ... got mine from EU Warehouse .. and I'm very happy with them .. not same density as Panasonic ... but much more "power"

About gimbal ... no servo gimbal for me ... anyhow ... while it would be nice to have special control from Harakiri .. the most easy solution with OpenLRSng, is to output PPM on one line .. and output one PWM channel on a different line .. so this is what I will do ...

My XuGong is back again ready for re-maiden with gimbal in the nose ... now it has better balance ... it has been designed for have its own pitch only gimbal on front with a goPro ..

So far is sunny here ... and good temperature ... +18deg ... so ... it is looking good for some fly with Harakiri in the weekend

I have a ublox 8 on my Harakiri ... still using the "Robert" default GPS initialization ... gotta to look back for find your initialization for GPS ... possibly with 10Hz ...