Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

timecop

Re: Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by timecop »

OK, here's what I got to say

Hamburger:

yes, that is part of what I call a problem in the long run. It _needs_ doing, because it is separate forks.

There is no way to "just use" mwc-8bit code directly because:
1) everything is a forest of #ifdef (here it's all compiled and and configurable at runtime)
2) drivers/control code is all mixed and there's no attempt to have any sort of abstraction layer - particularly bad examples: mag and baro stuff
3) 8bit shortcuts are done all over the place - 16 vs 32 bit multiplies if expected value < 65000 etc.

So not all features from arduino-mwii make it into stm32-mwii. Last I looked the entire LCD & telemetry stuff was not there.

LCD is unnecessary because of serial console. It would be basically duplicating all the same functionality of serial console and STILL wouldn't be able to be used as-is because there are a LOT more parameters to configure. For example I'd have to hack in way to change motor mixer or any of the other settings that are only exposed by serial console.

Besides, there is no 'backchannel'. New features from the stm32 fork have no designated mechanism to become part of the arduino-mwii in an orderly fashion.

It's a rewrite for proper hardware only reusing basically bits of control code. Any improvements, if any, would be made with assumption that the hardware is capable so adding an extra sinf() in the main loop doesn't take a week of deliberations and confirmation that it won't affect loop time on atmega168 running at 8MHz. As others said, the code is open and you're welcome to take back ideas or features - I'm sure mega2560 users would like to have a working serial console and all the settings configurable instead of having to recompile stuff. Or heck, forget console and just add them all to LCD if you're into that.

.. and yeah, MS5611 is now officially supported and autodetected even if it's on the same address as BMP085.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi timecop,
you respnded to my post from June 29th - more than 2 months old.
You really do some catching up :)

timecop wrote:
Hamburger wrote:yes, that is part of what I call a problem in the long run. It _needs_ doing, because it is separate forks.

There is no way to "just use" mwc-8bit code directly because:
1) everything is a forest of #ifdef (here it's all compiled and and configurable at runtime)
2) drivers/control code is all mixed and there's no attempt to have any sort of abstraction layer - particularly bad examples: mag and baro stuff
3) 8bit shortcuts are done all over the place - 16 vs 32 bit multiplies if expected value < 65000 etc.

yes, I understand the different capabilities of the hardwares and the non-portable structure of current mwii code.
Still, two separate forks will either require continuous work on both sides for porting back and forth or will drift apart over time.
So not all features from arduino-mwii make it into stm32-mwii. Last I looked the entire LCD & telemetry stuff was not there.

LCD is unnecessary because of serial console. It would be basically duplicating all the same functionality of serial console and STILL wouldn't be able to be used as-is because there are a LOT more parameters to configure. For example I'd have to hack in way to change motor mixer or any of the other settings that are only exposed by serial console.

from what I understand your console is the equivalent of the lcd config menu in MWii. Of course you provide more/other options since you converted compile time switches into cli-selectable items; I like that runtime-select over compiletime.define; MWii on 328p cannot do that for all supported hardware and features due to limited resources.

In MWii, the lcd also serves the purpose of telemetry - via serial over wireless (BT or other) or to i2c displays. Dunno if/how baseflight does telemetry.

Anyway, LCD was only meant as an example to drive the point - baseflight and MWii are already apart; supported sensors might be another example?
Besides, there is no 'backchannel'. New features from the stm32 fork have no designated mechanism to become part of the arduino-mwii in an orderly fashion.

It's a rewrite for proper hardware only reusing basically bits of control code. Any improvements, if any, would be made with assumption that the hardware is capable so adding an extra sinf() in the main loop doesn't take a week of deliberations and confirmation that it won't affect loop time on atmega168 running at 8MHz. As others said, the code is open and you're welcome to take back ideas or features - I'm sure mega2560 users would like to have a working serial console and all the settings configurable instead of having to recompile stuff. Or heck, forget console and just add them all to LCD if you're into that.

so indeed there is no backchannel.

I have 2 stm32 boards plus ulink2 in the drawer. I am waiting to see telemetry in baseflight with options for i2c displays and serial (over wireless, BT) gadgets (like smartphones with terminal programs).

You have done a load of work on baseflight and still do, I applaud you for that.
For the sake of MWii, I still think it could benefit from a common source base instead of drifting forks. Alas, when I asked for input on a multi-platform MWii code there was little response. I understand it would not be easy. So it seems the pain is not yet strong enough, the benefits not sweet enough.

We shall keep watching out, right?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Hamburger wrote:For the sake of MWii, I still think it could benefit from a common source base instead of drifting forks. Alas, when I asked for input on a multi-platform MWii code there was little response. I understand it would not be easy. So it seems the pain is not yet strong enough, the benefits not sweet enough.

We shall keep watching out, right?

The only way I see this happening is, upgrading to an ATMEGA2560 and nothing less. Truth is sometime hard to accept. :(

timecop

Post by timecop »

The only supported telemetry currently is output of FrSky binary protocol for either FrSky LCD or er9x+mods receivers. This dumps flight time/gps data/accel values (fairly useless)/battery voltage.

Normal flight telemetry (via bt/xbee/whatever) and going to multiwiiconf works too.
I know there's some stuff like minmax counters for various sensors, but that didn't make it in since the only way to view it was by lcd , i could put same stats in serial console .. but dunno if its any useful there. though I suppose things like max height/etc might be interesting.

nicog

Post by nicog »

TC, I can update my configurator to use that telemetry max min stuff and all telemetry data, can't be that dificult.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Right, I might consider readding it in some form at some point.

However what I did commit with r205 is redone mixer code. Moved all hardcoded stuff into tables, in preparing for custom mixer.
RIght now, any of the predefined tables are copied into the custom mix and used that way. if cfg.customMixer[] is filled with data and MULTITYPE_CUSTOM is chosen, this is used instead. The custom stuff is still work in progress as there's no UI to configure it.

I did triple-check all mixers and hopefully didn't break anything BUT I only hovered quadX mix - people using QuadP or hexa/octo please check CAREFULLY motor responses.

r207 now has custom mixer loading stuff.
http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/so ... tail?r=207
example of using it in cli:
http://bcas.tv/paste/results/xToE9w26.html
setting throttle of any motor to 0 will disable that motor. all 5 parameters are required, and space between params can only be one space, not several, or else stuff will break.

Mixer will do a sanity check (sum of powers) to see if mix is valid or not. You can still fly with wrong mixer, but don't expect it to work.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

timecop wrote:Normal flight telemetry (via bt/xbee/whatever) and going to multiwiiconf works too..

I find using an old BT enabled smartphone/gadget with a terminal program is much more versatile. And I can live without fancy graphics for tradeoff.

Currently available info via telemetry includes
- rx signal input values
- motor+servo output values
- gyro&acc sensors readings
- battery voltage, amps
- battery remaining capacity
- armed time, uptime
- alittude, max. altitude
- active options (level, angle, althold...)
- diagnostics (failsafe, i2c errorcount, cycletime min/max, debug[])

it is quite useful info at times.

nicog

Post by nicog »

I'm sorry hamburguer,

but:

- rx signal input values this is done with numbers and line bar to be much faster reading (a green line that move is better than a small number that changes)
- motor+servo output values same as above
- gyro&acc sensors readings graph does that in visual way, but if you want to see the numbers I have them just next to the graph
- battery voltage, amps yes my batery alarm show voltage and vibrates if the alarm is set!
- battery remaining capacity powermeter stuff?? If you ask me nicely I can add it.
- armed time, uptime also ask me nicely I'll do it for you
- alittude, max. altitude I will add it, that is in the todolist
- active options (level, angle, althold...) the switch tab show the active options in green. Please tell me that is easier to get them on a terminal
- diagnostics (failsafe, i2c errorcount, cycletime min/max, debug[]) I also can add a tab for you if you ask nicely

and finally:

I find using an old BT enabled smartphone/gadget Naze32 configurator is android 2.1 compatible, wich seems to be an old one.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

nicog wrote:I'm sorry hamburguer,

but:

... If you ask me nicely I can add it.
I find using an old BT enabled smartphone/gadget Naze32 configurator is android 2.1 compatible, wich seems to be an old one.

NicoG,
I am not competing with you.
Yes, a text based (terminal) interface has its shortcomings and advantages when compared to a real GUI.

With the current implementation of telemetry integrated in MWii, it is all open source, so I need not 'ask nicely' and wait but do it myself if I want to. When developing new features this has proven to be a huge benefit.

An android app will not work with anything but android. That leaves old palmos, symbian, win* and everything else useless.

Please understand not everyone likes using a closed source app in the context of open sourced MWii or basefilght. I certainly do not but that is for everyone to decide for oneself.

nicog

Post by nicog »

I'm not competing with you either.
But my code is free to everyone. it's not closed source. Maybe closed mind. But hey, everyone do what he wants right? free world?

So yes, asking nicely is a way to do the things right. And you know something? It works really great.

Please understand that the telemetry implementation maybe is not needed in the 32bits port. And if you want to use it, as you said, code it and commit to svn.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

nicog wrote:And if you want to use it, as you said, code it and commit to svn.

Or better yet, open a pull request on GitHub! https://github.com/fiendie/baseflight
I am maintaining an up to date clone of the SVN repo just there to piss dongs off ;P

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

nicog wrote:I'm not competing with you either.
But my code is free to everyone. it's not closed source.

ok, so your app is GPLed open source and I mixed that with another android app which is closed source. When I followed the link in the initial post here, all I found was a binary download. So it was my fault, good.
Please understand that the telemetry implementation maybe is not needed in the 32bits port.

so long as everyone is happpy to own and use an android device.

My post was meant as an answer to timecop's statement and not to critizise your app. As I am not intending to use baseflight in the imminent future, I feel it not appropriate to comment on baseflight more than I already have.

In earnest, have fun. It's a hobby.

timecop

Post by timecop »

the 'serial console' / cli stuff already works from regular vt100 terminal and every setting thats available in GUI can also be changed there via the 'set' command. I'll see about doing printing out raw rc/motor numbers + some telemetry. not anything i'd ever use but could be fun.

nicog

Post by nicog »

I added the custom mix feature into the windows based GUI. You can download it here:
http://tinyurl.com/8evhl7n

You should read the manual about motor order. I will simplify the use of this (for now it's the user who calculate the values).

msev

Post by msev »

Nico could one do an aeroplane or flying wing mixer with that custom mixer?

nicog

Post by nicog »

Msev, I don't think so because custom mixer is for motor position only. No servo can be mixed for now, board side.

I need to rewrite the equations to try to simplify the method of calculation.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Yeah airplane mix stuff will be done separately, to allow servos/direction/etc.
Still planning a good way to do that.

Will probably merge flying wing and aeroplane mixers together, and just allow enough customization so it can be configured either way.

msev

Post by msev »

Very cool :D... Baro and magneto will also have influence on aero/wing flying mode right?

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

timecop wrote:Yeah airplane mix stuff will be done separately, to allow servos/direction/etc.
Still planning a good way to do that.

Will probably merge flying wing and aeroplane mixers together, and just allow enough customization so it can be configured either way.

LOL, you don't have a solution but yet you BASH others for their work in progress? :lol: :lol: :lol:

timecop

Post by timecop »

I have a solution that looks like a turd, I can commit it today.
Or I can spend some time on it and make it nice - something most 8bit devs dont seem to care about.

p.s. enabled GPS in PWM mode as well - reduces number of channels to 4RC+2 AUX.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Well, an I2C-Servo or an I2C-GPS seems to be in other but that will never meet the TC's standard. Hmmm.

timecop

Post by timecop »

With 8 servos available in airplane mix mode, I doubt there's going to be any need for a HACK.
And with serial GPS working in both PPM and PWM input modes, what's the point for I2C GPS again? Remind me. Another point of failure? OK, thanks.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

timecop wrote:With 8 servos available in airplane mix mode, I doubt there's going to be any need for a HACK.
And with serial GPS working in both PPM and PWM input modes, what's the point for I2C GPS again? Remind me. Another point of failure? OK, thanks.

Your Words: "p.s. enabled GPS in PWM mode as well - reduces number of channels to 4RC+2 AUX."

P.S. I count six motor pins, where do the other two servo pins come from?

timecop

Post by timecop »

last I checked, that was the max number available on your beloved tarduino pro mini without hacks.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I'm asking about the Naze32, how would one go about connecting eight servos to it?

timecop

Post by timecop »

There are total 14 PWM channels that can be configured as inputs or outputs in various groups.
If you truly care, have a look around http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/so ... /drv_pwm.c

There are 6+8 header pins where things can be connected. Infact if one so wishes, the 6 motor pins can be used as RC inputs and the 8 pins on the side can be outputs etc.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Thank you for the information and Yes I do care. Just don't like the BaShing at times.

multimee

R: Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by multimee »

timecop wrote:p.s. enabled GPS in PWM mode as well - reduces number of channels to 4RC+2 AUX.

Great, TC! I'm sincerely grateful :D

frog32

Post by frog32 »

timecop wrote:I have a solution that looks like a turd, I can commit it today.
Or I can spend some time on it and make it nice - something most 8bit devs dont seem to care about.

but it would be good for all who are also coding on the same project. i am waiting for your solution i nearly went back to the last commit having flying wing support. you could push those things to a feature-mixer branch and let others participate in searching for ideas.

i don't knew ho expensive merging or rebasing is with svn but i am doing this up to 20 times a day at work using git where branching and merging is low cost.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Basically the problem with current solution is lack of flexibility. Too much stuff needs to be configurable, even previous builds needed recompile. I'll bring that back in a bit w/some more options as a temporary solution (flyingwing only) but for future, proper mixer needs to be reimplemented.

edit: k, flyingwing mixer is back. airplane mixer will happen later.

as far as ideas/discussion, go ahead.
basically: it has to be configurable, nothing hardcoded, fairly flexible (i.e. completed airplane mixer would be able to do flyingwing just by configuring it as such), and be able to mix in X number required servos in whatever orientation.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

thanks for bringing flying wing back. i'll test it as soon as i can leave the city.

regarding your mixer thing: what about having a set of configurable mixes like in er9x (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3TdQhNc_g). it would be enough to have those sources: rcchannels, pid loops, fixed value and a weight for each of them.

it's not that easy to implement it so it's usable in the console but it would be possible

edit: i tried it on my wing right now. mixes in gui seem ok but they aren't written to the servos. tried to add

Code: Select all

pwmWriteServo(0, servo[0]);
            pwmWriteServo(1, servo[1]);

in writeServos in mixer.c line 200 but it didn't do the job

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Any chance airplane mode will be implemented ?

timecop

Post by timecop »

frog32 wrote:thanks for bringing flying wing back. i'll test it as soon as i can leave the city.

regarding your mixer thing: what about having a set of configurable mixes like in er9x (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3TdQhNc_g). it would be enough to have those sources: rcchannels, pid loops, fixed value and a weight for each of them.

it's not that easy to implement it so it's usable in the console but it would be possible

edit: i tried it on my wing right now. mixes in gui seem ok but they aren't written to the servos. tried to add

Code: Select all

pwmWriteServo(0, servo[0]);
            pwmWriteServo(1, servo[1]);

in writeServos in mixer.c line 200 but it didn't do the job

that was the problem, it should work, no?

Remember for airplane-like stuff I rewrote PWM driver, so now M1 pin is gonna be throttle, and then servos 4+ are on M3, M4.. etc (motor pins).
Did you check there? I just commited the fix for writing servos though. This is not in the manual yet but I'll stick it there on next revision.

Gimbal wrote:Any chance airplane mode will be implemented ?

Sure, you can start on it :) See discussion above.

Gimbal

Post by Gimbal »

Thnx

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

FYI TC, I am busy building a new airplane for testing. I first need to make sure it flies well before installing a flight controller.

kolaa0

Post by kolaa0 »

Yesterday I tried the latest build-218

Past 10 seconds after turn on GPSHOLD mode, system is out of control, it not response to commands and dives to the ground. After that, on the earth, i cant turn off the motors. It looks like board hangs.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Cool, so the MTK guy was right.
Maybe someone can figure out what's wrong.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

@timecop: tried flying wing again. mixer seems ok. i couldn't start the motor and tried to reduce motorpwm to 50hz. i even tried probing with a servo. which pin should be motor out on flying wing? is it possible that pwm initialisation doesn't work with flying wing?

timecop

Post by timecop »

check the source - in servo/wing modes, pwm1/2 are motors, the rest are servo.
so first servo will be pwm3, etc.

so you should have the motor plugged into pwm1.
I'm pretty sure it should be working.

timecop

Post by timecop »

I enabled the new mahowik althold in baseflight since r220.
Those with freeflight/afro32 hardware can try it out by grabbing latest build. All the parameters are tunable:
acc_lpf_for_velocity = 10
baro_tab_size = 21
baro_noise_lpf = 0.600
baro_cf = 0.985
Probably start with some fixed looptime as well, 3000 seems to be a good choice.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

on pwm1/2 i have valid servo outputs but they seem to be the wing servo mixes. maybe the servo mapping is wrong and it overrides motor out.

Your pwm init procedure is too crazy for me without some more comments. But the Problem seems to be in there.

nicog

Post by nicog »

maybe the gimbal feature is on, wich gives output 1/2 as tilt and roll of gimbal, wich are servos.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

not it's not on and it's realy wing output i have gyro correction, and also the radio input in it and it reacts to changes in pitch_direction_r etc.

timecop

Post by timecop »

ok haha I will take another look and scope things out and see what's going on.

timecop

Post by timecop »

frog32 wrote:on pwm1/2 i have valid servo outputs but they seem to be the wing servo mixes. maybe the servo mapping is wrong and it overrides motor out.

Your pwm init procedure is too crazy for me without some more comments. But the Problem seems to be in there.

ok you were right.
in the leftover hack of remapping motors as servos when useServo was on, i also did same for airplane mix, essentially killing the motor outputs and replacing with servos.

Now it works correctly and flyingwing layout is:

PWM1 = throttle
PWM2 = unused
PWM3, 4 = servos

Only tested in PPM mode but it should be fine in PWM as well

frog32

Post by frog32 »

i 've tested it today and it seems to work. i wasn't able to test fly it but the corrections are being made in the right direction, and motor is working again.

tanks

eirikso

Post by eirikso »

acc_lpf_for_velocity = 10
baro_tab_size = 21
baro_noise_lpf = 0.600
baro_cf = 0.985

I just soldered a baro on my FreeFLight 1.2. It showed up and I can activate it. Works fairly well but it would be interesting to tune it. The problem is that I can't seem to find a description of the parameters.

Anyone with a link or a quick description?

timecop

Post by timecop »

check the altitude hold improvement thread in software section.
There are different params needed for bmp85, both lpf and cf.
since default adxl on free flight is pretty noisy, you might want to increase lpf for velocity as well.

eirikso

Post by eirikso »

Thank you. I read through the thread and found this post very useful: viewtopic.php?p=22429#p22429

Grabbed the latest build from SVN and tried the following ALT-PIDS: 5 - 0.030 - 30

When looking at the data in the GUI it seemed like there was a lot of noise from the baro, so I increased the baro_noise_lpf to 0.900 and increased acc_lpf_for_velocity to 15.

My quick test today was not very good. I simply lost a lot of power when turning on the baro. The tricopter tried its best to hold the height, but with modest success. Probably because of the low power. When turning off the baro again the tri got its power back and thrusted upwards.

Any hints on what settings to adjust?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Did you put foam over baro and make sure there's no wind from props/etc over it?