Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Truglodite

Re: Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by Truglodite »

rortega, I think arducopter 'sensor fusion' has a lot to do with Harakiri's excellent altitude and position hold performance. Harakri may drift in strong wind because the GPS is not very active with the default settings; I think Rob did this to limit the fly aways, but it can be modified for a more aggressive hold.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

@timecop, @Truglodite: this code is about one year old and i have not added all the settings needed to cli. if you look up this commit and ignore all the #ifdef FFOSD and updateOSD() stuff it should work

https://github.com/frog32/baseflight/co ... b1119f5c84

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Guys,

Can you give me a sanity check on a Baseflight (Latest) flashed rev2 quad I've knocked up for a friend with a spare board, Spektrum satellite to Pin 1 (the same as CPPM assumed, I use FrSky personally), GPS rx to Pin 3 and tx to Pin 4 with a HobbyKing Ne0-6M unit with separate 5v supply.

I don't get any packets from the GPS no matter what I try, GPS_type set to 1 and GPS_baudrate set to 4, I've tried -1 for auto detect and reversing the tx and rx pins in case I got them wrong, no luck yet.

It's a new gps and the original board from my hex which Is now running a rev 4 Naze32.

Thoughts? Something obvious I've forgotten?

Otherwise it seems fine

aBUGSworstnightmare

Post by aBUGSworstnightmare »

Gaijin wrote:Guys,

Can you give me a sanity check on a Baseflight (Latest) flashed rev2 quad I've knocked up for a friend with a spare board, Spektrum satellite to Pin 1 (the same as CPPM assumed, I use FrSky personally), GPS rx to Pin 3 and tx to Pin 4 with a HobbyKing Ne0-6M unit with separate 5v supply.

I don't get any packets from the GPS no matter what I try, GPS_type set to 1 and GPS_baudrate set to 4, I've tried -1 for auto detect and reversing the tx and rx pins in case I got them wrong, no luck yet.

It's a new gps and the original board from my hex which Is now running a rev 4 Naze32.

Thoughts? Something obvious I've forgotten?

Otherwise it seems fine

Hi,

The Spektrum Sat is Not a PPM Receiver! You Need to connect it's Signal line to Input 4.
In addition, the supply voltage of the Sat is 3.3v!

Since you Need a Uart for the Sat you can either have GPS or Spektrum Sat.

What is you GPS rx/tx level? Should be 3.3v. Be shure your GPS baudrate is right. Is your GPS working (i.e. Use an FTDI to connect it to your PC)?.

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare

theailer

Post by theailer »

My ublox 6 gps doesn't work in baseflight but with the same settings it works in harakiri for some strange reason

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

The strange reason maybe that I reworked the ublox parser.....

@Turgolite: Sorry to say the ins stuff has absolutely no arducopterstuff in it - because it will get to vibration sensitive then. And I don't want to end up like that, it's pointless

timecop

Re:

Post by timecop »

theailer wrote:My ublox 6 gps doesn't work in baseflight but with the same settings it works in harakiri for some strange reason

My test ublox (HK neo6 and crius v2.0 or something like that) works sitting near the window.
RTFM: https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/w ... tVariables

gps configuration in harakiri is old and NOT the same as in baseflight, which has changed.
Also, to auto-configure ublox both RX and TX need to be connected from GPS.
Pre-configured ublox is no longer supported because idiot users would break too much shit.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Hi,

The Spektrum Sat is Not a PPM Receiver! You Need to connect it's Signal line to Input 4.
In addition, the supply voltage of the Sat is 3.3v!

Since you Need a Uart for the Sat you can either have GPS or Spektrum Sat.

What is you GPS rx/tx level? Should be 3.3v. Be shure your GPS baudrate is right. Is your GPS working (i.e. Use an FTDI to connect it to your PC)?.

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare

Damn, really, it's either GPS OR Spektrum, bummer I can't work around that even with a straight spektrum receiver can I?
Well I'm not surprised then as both SerialRX and GPS are turned on no doubt tying baseflight in a knot

Do I have any options beside persuading him to go FrSKy (Unlikely sadly as his radio isn't modular), can I specify the pin for serial input, is that impossible to add using soft serial?, I assume harakiri uses the same input pin.

Yet another reason why I don't like Spektrum, no worries on the 3.3v by the way I'm supplying it from a dedicated UBEC.

Thnks

timecop

Post by timecop »

Just use regular Spektrum PWM receiver, enable GPS, and skip RC4/5 for inputs, you'll just lose 2 aux switches.

Gaijin

Post by Gaijin »

Thanks TC,

I missed the channel shifting note in the manual, that'll do nicely for now.

I advise he splashes out on a LemonRX to gain all the channels http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=70&product_id=66

timecop

Post by timecop »

I dunno about that, I think that's a 6ch receiver regardless if you use it in PPM or direct mode - if you look at the bottom of that page it lists only 6 ppm pulses. I'd say just trash spektrum shit and go to frsky.

scrat

Re: Re:

Post by scrat »

timecop wrote:
theailer wrote:My ublox 6 gps doesn't work in baseflight but with the same settings it works in harakiri for some strange reason

My test ublox (HK neo6 and crius v2.0 or something like that) works sitting near the window.
RTFM: https://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/w ... tVariables

gps configuration in harakiri is old and NOT the same as in baseflight, which has changed.
Also, to auto-configure ublox both RX and TX need to be connected from GPS.
Pre-configured ublox is no longer supported because idiot users would break too much shit.

So for ublox---gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0 for autoconfiguration?

timecop

Post by timecop »

As long as both tx/rx are connected, yes.

theailer

Post by theailer »

That's the way I have it on my quad as well. And it still only recognize the gps in harakiri.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

The same thing here, just flashed the newest baseflight using the download option in baseflight configurator. The gps works fine using gps_type=0 and gps_baudrate=0. But it doesn't work using gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0.

The GPS is a ublox NEO 6m from crius.

scrat

Post by scrat »

frog32 wrote:The same thing here, just flashed the newest baseflight using the download option in baseflight configurator. The gps works fine using gps_type=0 and gps_baudrate=0. But it doesn't work using gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0.

The GPS is a ublox NEO 6m from crius.

I have the same GPS. I'll try with your settings.

timecop

Post by timecop »

What's the point of running ubx GPS in nmea mode?

scrat

Post by scrat »

timecop wrote:What's the point of running ubx GPS in nmea mode?

But the problem is if I set gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0 in chrome configurator (gps is at default settings)...there si no green light on GPS. But if I set both to 0...there is green light on GPS. And If ublox neo6 is set to default in uCentre...it is outputting NMEA not UBX.

What if I set gps manually with sending conf file to gps? Will still work in baseflight or no?

timecop

Post by timecop »

first of all, there's no need to run any GPS above 38400 baud.
second, ubx will accept configuration commands (and baseflight sends them) to configure it to output what I need.
So if you fuck with it making it output nmea only, etc, then yes, you will get what you are getting.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

Mine is a stock crius neo 6m. Never hooked it up to anything than baseflight. I first tried with default settings in baseflight and it worked. Then i've set it to gps_type=1 and since it doesn't work anymore. If i set it back to gps_type=0 then it is working again. Is it possible, that this gps it only outputting nema? http://dx.com/p/crius-cn-06-v2-0-standa ... een-177018

err888

回覆: Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by err888 »

frog32 wrote:Mine is a stock crius neo 6m. Never hooked it up to anything than baseflight. I first tried with default settings in baseflight and it worked. Then i've set it to gps_type=1 and since it doesn't work anymore. If i set it back to gps_type=0 then it is working again. Is it possible, that this gps it only outputting nema? http://dx.com/p/crius-cn-06-v2-0-standa ... een-177018

This gps outputs nmea by default, only if its been configured properly in the codes or manually via ublox software then it can output data in ublox format.

Kenny

timecop

Post by timecop »

The code does configure it.
Which is why I have said "both rx and tx need to be connected" etc.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

That's why i've connected tx and rx (the last one on the top and the first one on the bottom row of pins). tx and rx are not reversed, this would not have allowed the nema setting to work. i'll reset the whole controller once again and download the newest hex using baseflight configurator, but i don't think this will help.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Last code for this I tested was before this:
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... 64bc665573
Try pulling code pre-that and build and see? Anyway, as long as stuff works on my window I'll say its some other problem.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

using this code and building it using yagarto i get a working hex. but then i get gibberish like this in the cli after i activate gps and set gps_type=1

Code: Select all

$M<ee$M<ll$M<kk$M<nn$M<ee$M<ll$M<kk$M<nn$M<ee$M<

and if i set gps_type=0 i have an imediate fix and 7 satelites.

# status
System Uptime: 429 seconds, Voltage: 0 * 0.1V (2S battery)
CPU 72MHz, detected sensors: ACC BARO MAG GPS ACCHW: MMA845x
Cycle Time: 3610, I2C Errors: 0, config size: 892

# $M<ee$M<ll$M<kk$M<nn$M<ee$M<ll$M<kk$M<nn$M<ee$M<
ERR: Unknown command, try 'help'
# version
Afro32 CLI version 2.2 Dec 17 2013 / 20:38:34
# $M<ee$M<ll$M<kk$M<nn$M<ee$M<ll$M<kk$M<nn$M<ee$M<

i have set everything to default before but it still doesn't work

ABL

Post by ABL »

frog32 wrote:using this code and building it using yagarto i get a working hex. but then i get gibberish like this in the cli after i activate gps and set gps_type=1

Hm, unplug minimOSD?

stronnag

Post by stronnag »

ABL wrote:
frog32 wrote:using this code and building it using yagarto i get a working hex. but then i get gibberish like this in the cli after i activate gps and set gps_type=1

Hm, unplug minimOSD?

Looks like MSP_STATUS, MSP_ATTITUDE, MSP_COMP_GPS, MSP_ANALOG, without the NULs.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

ABL wrote:Hm, unplug minimOSD?

this is my setup, only bec for power, gps and usb
IMG_0876 copy.jpg

now i tried almost every thing. gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=4 seems to work using the latest available in the downloader. i have absolutely no clue whether it is successfully initialized and working using at least 5Hz and probably a higher baudrate, or if it is just outputting at 1Hz 9600 baut.

disq

Post by disq »

Just flashed latest baseflight from configurator, GPS seems to work for me. It's an ublox NEO-6M.

working gps
working gps

frog32

Post by frog32 »

then my gps must have been shipped with off settings. how do i reset my gps?

err888

Post by err888 »

frog32 wrote:then my gps must have been shipped with off settings. how do i reset my gps?

I can't find the original text for the method but you may try this - http://www.drotek.fr/ftp/pdf/ublox_EN.pdf .

Except that your gps doesn't have a USB port and you need a FTDI cable/adapter to connect it to your computer this instruction should work for you.

If you just want to perform a configuration reset do not follow 1.2 to 1.5. Instead select the "RST (Reset)" option from the list shown in the screenshots, then choose all configurations there and click Save, then follow the rest of the steps to store the default configuration into the eeprom of your gps.

Kenny

scrat

Post by scrat »

Yesterday I have set gps_type=0 and gps_baudrate=0 and went out. In about 30 seconds...red led started flashing on FC. So I think gps works.

frog32

Post by frog32 »

Ok this is working for me. But what are the optimal settings for baseflight?

- 115200 baud
- protocol in and protocol out only ubx
- which messages are needed? i like to kick out everything else

or at what baudrate do i have to configure it so autoconfigure will work in baseflight?

disq

Post by disq »

frog32 wrote:Ok this is working for me. But what are the optimal settings for baseflight?

- 115200 baud

or at what baudrate do i have to configure it so autoconfigure will work in baseflight?

gps_baudrate is the baudrate you *want* your GPS to run on, BF will try all baudrates from 115200 to 9600 and try to set your GPS to the gps_baudrate setting.

Baseflight will autoconfigure GPS messages (gps_type=1 / uBlox only) so if you want you can turn off all messages in GPS configuration. Needed messages will be turned on after baudrate is set anyway. Also, gps_baudrate=-1 is autodetect baudrate (not autoconfig) and it is for NMEA only, don't worry about it if you have uBlox.

Just set gps_type=1 and gps_baudrate=0 and you should be good to go.

err888

回覆: Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Post by err888 »

frog32 wrote:Ok this is working for me. But what are the optimal settings for baseflight?

- 115200 baud

My understanding is that baseflight will take care of all ublox settings for you, including baud rate, protocol settings etc., to make everything as neat as possible. You just need to keep your gps at default settings, and have the correct gps type specified in baseflight .

Kenny

frog32

Post by frog32 »

But it didn't in my case. It could only use it as a ubx gps when i did set gps_baudrate=4 (9600 baud), but i didn't realize that it should have worked then

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

Hi !
Today I try the last Hex file from Baseflight from github, but impossible to get my Naze32 rev0 work with GPS from HK.
feature GPS, gps_type=1, gps_baudrate=0 .... gps_type=0, gps_baudrate=0 ...... all possible Gui ..... :cry:
So I take Baseflight r464 the last on svn, but I had a lot of issues with it also ? :(
So I go back on Baseflight r363 and GPS was detected :)
My Question is Naze32 rev0 with GPS not supported on last Baseflight revisions or is it a Software failure !

Regards
hinkel

timecop

Post by timecop »

Any hardware/software revision works fine with GPS.

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

timecop wrote:Any hardware/software revision works fine with GPS.

I try It again with Naze32 rev0 and rev4, but with "Chrome Google Baseflight configurator" and I had the same issues, GPS is not detected in GUI ! With old Baseflight code it is ok! I miss certainly something but what ? :mrgreen:

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

It would be nice having an ublox gps model with no autoconfiguration since the enabled sbas protocol could cause problems in Australia. So the copter is then disturbed by Japanese Sbas sattelites - that is also confirmed by the information I've seen in a youtube documentation of the "UAV outbackchallenge" where some contendors had to change their code to disable sbas to take part in the challenge. Actual baseflight doesn't allow that, except you fall back to NMEA with ublox.

timecop

Post by timecop »

GPS not detected = user is dumb and did something wrong.
New GPS code will always autoconfigure and setup GPS as specified, even if its connected after board reset or disconnected/reconnected.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Post by aBUGSworstnightmare »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:Actual baseflight doesn't allow that, except you fall back to NMEA with ublox.

Hi,

what's wrong with using NMEA? Why use any proprietary protocol related to a particular vendor/GPS chip generation?

The only thing you need is a good NMEA message parser. This shouldn't be a big deal since we only need to deal with RMC and GGA sentence.

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Depending on gps and nmea parser you might loose one digit of precision (seen with MTK).

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

timecop wrote:GPS not detected = user is dumb and did something wrong.
New GPS code will always autoconfigure and setup GPS as specified, even if its connected after board reset or disconnected/reconnected.

I assume I am dumb :lol: , and I test the Flight ability of " Afro32 CLI version 2.2 Nov 26 2013 / 11:53:50 " and it was very
Crappy on my Naze 32 rev0 so I change the looptime and some PIDs but ever the same bad flight, finally i had a Look at the GPS
and Now It was surprisely detected in GUI ??????? . And ask myself how is this possible ???? . So I find that changing looptime from
default 3500 to 3000 or 0 , made the GPS Detected go back to looptime =3500 than GPS is not Detected. Now I am sure something is wrong with this Baseflight code for Naze32 rev0.
Eventually Naze32 rev5 will be fine with this code :)

Regards
hinkel

timecop

Post by timecop »

Looptime 0 should never be used, I should probably limit it to like 1000 or something minimum - after the recent sensor axis unfucking, the redundant double-sensor read was removed and now setting looptime to zero results in time of ~600us which is completely unflyable on default PIDs.

disq

Post by disq »

frog32 wrote:But it didn't in my case. It could only use it as a ubx gps when i did set gps_baudrate=4 (9600 baud), but i didn't realize that it should have worked then

hinkel wrote:I try It again with Naze32 rev0 and rev4, but with "Chrome Google Baseflight configurator" and I had the same issues, GPS is not detected in GUI ! With old Baseflight code it is ok! I miss certainly something but what ? :mrgreen:

There's a new build to remedy the GPS autoconfiguration/detection problems. Not flighttested, so use with caution:
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... flight.hex

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

@disq:
You forgot to quote that:

brm

Post by brm »

disq wrote:
frog32 wrote:But it didn't in my case. It could only use it as a ubx gps when i did set gps_baudrate=4 (9600 baud), but i didn't realize that it should have worked then

hinkel wrote:I try It again with Naze32 rev0 and rev4, but with "Chrome Google Baseflight configurator" and I had the same issues, GPS is not detected in GUI ! With old Baseflight code it is ok! I miss certainly something but what ? :mrgreen:

There's a new build to remedy the GPS autoconfiguration/detection problems. Not flighttested, so use with caution:
https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... flight.hex

ahhh,
a bug in the gps code ... :shock:
will it now work?

timecop

Post by timecop »

Crashpilot1000 wrote:@disq:
You forgot to quote that:

don't worry, that quote is still correct.
at least even with bugs its still light years ahead of your randomly pasted together GPS code.
especially baffled at "ubx receicer rewrite". as if that would make any difference for getting baud rate correctly.

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Love you too honey.