Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Postby nicodh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Hello,

It's been a while since Timecop (RCgroups) created a board called naze32 wich is multiwii compatible.
There is a firmware, that works, and is based on multiwii. It's called Baseflight.

For instance it has the same features as multiwii but with the additional cli mode which makes easier the life to change types, and a lot of other features like PPM failsafe without the need of recompile every time.

The starting thread for all this is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595761

And some tools to work with all the features of the baseflight soft exists.
naze32 AIO which combines gui and cli and firmware download and update. And of course the naze32 android BT configurator.
the info is findable here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=342216

I think it's important to understand that TC put a great effort on this port on his side at starts. And I think it's a good Idea to continue his work.
Of it's opensource and you can find the repository here: http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/so ... baseflight

See you.
nicodh

Re: Baseflight aka multiwii port to stm32

Postby copterrichie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Kudos!
copterrichie

Postby Hamburger » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Yes it is a good starting point.
But I do not want forks but one multiplatform MWii source tree.
Hamburger

Postby copterrichie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Hamburger wrote:Yes it is a good starting point.
But I do not want forks but one multiplatform MWii source tree.

I am not sure of the reasons but Doug has his own source tree.
copterrichie

Postby Hamburger » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 pm

With all the problems of separate forks.
Porting new features over required
Missing features
Constant workload for syncing
Hamburger

Postby copterrichie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Well, that is all being done now. Up until now, he has done all of this without anyone's help.
copterrichie

Postby copterrichie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Additionally, what I am saying, every time there is a new Development or Official release, Doug ports it over to the STM32 sometime,within a matter of hours.
copterrichie

Postby nicodh » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:35 am

That's right. Tim is really fast on updating. Well, he updates just what he likes, and others adds features like sonar or gps.
There is another thing going on, a new start from scratch development. With a lot of potential, but for now it's not on any repository.
nicodh

Postby Hamburger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:35 am

The good thing with baseflight is that it exists and is working. To my knowledge it is the only fork of MWii that has made it into a working flight controller project and for some time too.

that is all being done now. Up until now, he has done

yes, that is part of what I call a problem in the long run. It _needs_ doing, because it is separate forks.
he updates just what he likes

yes. So not all features from arduino-mwii make it into stm32-mwii. Last I looked the entire LCD & telemetry stuff was not there.

Besides, there is no 'backchannel'. New features from the stm32 fork have no designated mechanism to become part of the arduino-mwii in an orderly fashion.

That's all rather typical with forks and it is one of the reasons I'd rather see one multi platform MWii source.
Hamburger

Postby tovrin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 am

please excuse my ignorance, but I'm very interested in this project, and have a question about the topic in hand.

TC has taken code from here and created his own fork, doing his own thing using MWC code. all fair within the rights offered.
What is to stop us from taking a page from his book and creating our own fork, here, using his current code that members of MWC work on, and he continues to do his own thing, and we can merge as needed, and likely help each others code get stronger. or so it would seem on the surface.

seems straight forward to me, but I'm uncertain of the code of ethics and standards of practice, etc involved.
tovrin

Next

Return to Software