FTDI to AfroMini???

subaru4wd

FTDI to AfroMini???

Post by subaru4wd »

So, i got me a couple of these cool AfroMini Naze32 boards.

I am looking in the manual, but nowhere does it mention where the FTDI connects. Can I use FTDI to flash this board, or what do I need?

fiendie

Re: FTDI to AfroMini???

Post by fiendie »

How about, you know, Rx and Tx...?

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

fiendie wrote:How about, you know, Rx and Tx...?

So no DTR is needed?

Also, there are two TX & RX pins/pads. Which ones do I use? The website says i need a USB> 3.3 serial cable. But the board accepts up to 16v?? so, i assume a 5v FTDI will be fine?

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

subaru4wd wrote:
fiendie wrote:How about, you know, Rx and Tx...?

So no DTR is needed?

Also, there are two TX & RX pins/pads. Which ones do I use? The website says i need a USB> 3.3 serial cable. But the board accepts up to 16v?? so, i assume a 5v FTDI will be fine?

DTR is not needed because you can switch to bootloader mode by sending R to the board or by shorting the bootloader pads.
3.3V is referring to signal levels. So no, you can't use a 5V FTDI. You could bring signal levels down with a voltage divider on the Rx and Tx lines.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Actually RX and TX pins ARE 5V tolerant so you CAN use 5V FDTI (according to spec. and my experience).

Regards
Andrej

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

I was not aware voltage traveled thru the TX/RX pins. Guess you learn something new every day.

If I set my FTDI from 5v to 3.3v does that also change the voltage of the RX/TX pins?

But now im getting conflicting information.... Where is timecop?

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Also, which set of TX/RX pins?

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

subaru4wd wrote:Also, which set of TX/RX pins?

I'm using serial port with included 5V and GND (thru holes) since the other ones are AFAIK not 5V tolerant
And it will work with any 3.3 or 5V FDTI. I'm using SparkFun's one (meant for Arduino) and that one has 5 or 3.3V jumper/pads on the bottom (those change VCC and logic level voltage to 5 or 3.3V).

Regards
Andrej

BTW: If unsure read datasheet http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/acti ... 161566.pdf
Page 24, 29 (pins PA2 and PA3 not 5V tolerant) and page 31 (PA9 and PA10 have FT that means 5V tolerant).
Actual BaseFligth pin mapping taken from BaseFlight src. drv_uart.c https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... drv_uart.c (lines 33, 34 and 77, 78)

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

crashlander wrote:
subaru4wd wrote:Also, which set of TX/RX pins?

I'm using serial port with included 5V and GND (thru holes) since the other ones are AFAIK not 5V tolerant
And it will work with any 3.3 or 5V FDTI. I'm using SparkFun's one (meant for Arduino) and that one has 5 or 3.3V jumper/pads on the bottom (those change VCC and logic level voltage to 5 or 3.3V).

Regards
Andrej

Thank you very much. I will give it a try tonight. I have a 5v and a 3.3v FTDI to use.

BTW: If unsure read datasheet http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/acti ... 161566.pdf
Page 24, 29 (pins PA2 and PA3 not 5V tolerant) and page 31 (PA9 and PA10 have FT that means 5V tolerant).
Actual BaseFligth pin mapping taken from BaseFlight src. drv_uart.c https://github.com/multiwii/baseflight/ ... drv_uart.c (lines 33, 34 and 77, 78)

Thanks, but I am no where near qualified to be digging through datasheets, etc.... I was hoping I could find this kind of information in the manual... but no such luck.

dogz85

Post by dogz85 »

On the product page it specifies that 3.3v is needed for tx/rx pins. Most FTDI have a jumper that can be set or a trace that can be cut and re-soldered to 3.3v.

I played it safe and used a 3.3v FTDI and it worked well.

I connected 3.3v to the 4 pins in a row (5v,rx,tx,gnd )

now to figure out how to tune tri copters so the tail dont wag.

Tri copter pins. thr=tail servo, s1= tail motor , s2 = FR motor , s3 = FL motor

bektorkhan

Post by bektorkhan »

OBS!!

Never connect the FTDI 5V pin at the same time as BEC 5V on motor/servo connectors. Since connecting the battery crashes the program!

I discovered that connecting a 3.3V FTDI with it's 5V connected and BEC 5V from a battery, you will get 5V on the RX/TX pins!!!

It didn't fry the board, but the power led is brighter, from the STN datasheet most i/O pins including rx/tx is 5V tolerant (Abs max VDD+4V)

Wise to have a 3 pin FTDI connector and have VCC and DTR dangling with shrinktube, to be used when needed.

subaru4wd

Post by subaru4wd »

Not sure why you would power your board with both a BEC & the FTDI????

I powered the board using just my FTDI controller, set at 5v... and flashed it just fine.

dogz85

Post by dogz85 »

i never have problem connection ftdi and battery at the same time.