Teensy 3.0 anyone?

LenzGr

Teensy 3.0 anyone?

Post by LenzGr »

Hi,

I recently got myself a Teensy 3.0 board, which claims to be Arduino compatible, but uses an 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4 48 MHz CPU. Considering that it uses the Arduino IDE, libs and toolchain, I wonder if a port is more feasible starting off the mainline MultiWii code base (potentially supporting the Arduino Due along the way, too), or rather going with the baseflight port instead.

Has anyone looked into this already?

FWIW, here's a good comparison between the Teensy 3.0 and other Arduino Boards (incl. the Due).

LenzGr

Re: Teensy 3.0 anyone?

Post by LenzGr »

(replying to myself)

Not based on MultiWii, it seems, but here's a Teensy 3.0 based flight controller: http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/14953-Tee ... controller

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

what is the advantage you see in this board? You have to hand wire sensors and servo/esc headers yourself. For ease of use a mega2560 based AIO board seems to provide similar possibilities with less hassle. Or is it that famous because it is there?

LenzGr

Post by LenzGr »

Primarily it's of course "because we can" and the hack value that brings. I think it provides some compelling features at a very reasonable price (compared to Arduino boards):

• more RAM
  • higher clock rates
  • better floating point performance
  • lots of PWM pins that don't interfere with internal timers
  • 32-bit
I guess it's just a matter of time until we'll see more integrated controller boards based on the Teensy or Due architecture.

I'll hook it up to my Allinone sensor board from csg_eu when I have a moment and will toy around with it.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

LenzGr wrote:Primarily it's of course "because we can" and the hack value that brings.

good enough :)
I guess it's just a matter of time until we'll see more integrated controller boards based on the Teensy or Due architecture.

Me, I will wait for such integrated boards to appear.

fiendie

Post by fiendie »

I don't really think that's gonna happen.
Arduino Due is based on the Atmel SAM and Teensy 3.0 is based on some Freescale ARM variant which are both relatively obscure.

The RC world is pretty heavily invested in STM32 already it seems.
There is already a metric crap-top of cheap STM32-based Flight controllers out there like OpenPilot, FreeFlight, KCopter, Autoquad (no so cheap) and, naze32 which you know already essentially runs MultiWii in the form of baseflight.
Heck, OpenPilot for example has even been ported to the 12 EUR STM32 F3 Discovery development board.

FrSky is planning to release an STM32-based 9Ch radio as a competitor for the 9x any day now.

I have been working with a little STM32 dev board and some naze32 flight controllers for about 6 months now and it all works pretty well. What would make Hamburgers dream of a unified codebase possible is writing a hardware abstraction layer of course ;)
baseflight would be a good starting point for that because every hardware component already has its own driver. Hard to estimate how much work it would be to extract the architecture-specific stuff.

Anyway, if MultiWii really wants to go 32-bit it's all but inevitable to at least ditch the Arduino IDE IMO. There already is almost no Arduino library code left in MultiWii as it is and switching to Due or Teensy (which still has a closed source bootloader btw.) would require rewriting all of the i2c and GPIO stuff from scratch.