You got it now. :)

joseico90

Re: Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by joseico90 »

yep, flying like a champ now..

ccsj

Post by ccsj »

I'm about out of idea so any input is greatly appreciated. I have a Naze32 ACRO in BO mini HEX with Sunnysky 2204 2300KV BS 12A simonk 9-30-12. I’m using Frsky DR4II in PPM mode without failsafe. I’ve already tested that if I turn off radio, all motors stayed the same position and came back right away when I turn back radio (taranis). I’ve been getting occasional motor shut down only when I do WOT, flip, or loop. It doesn’t happen all the time only some random time only when I try to push her. I’ve tried backdate ESC fw to 5-15-13 then 9-30-12 so I don’t think it’s a sync issue. Took my worse spill today and broke the top plate. This was my 5th flight and was the one I pushed her the hardest. I flew entire flight in ACRO mode. Any idea? Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHqMyCaYWA

dklein

Post by dklein »

What battery are you using? Probably something small that has a hard time when you draw 30+ amps. Voltage drops and you lose motors and/or power to the Naze32. Bigger battery / higher C rating might be the answer.

strepto

Post by strepto »

Yeah that doesn't sound too far-fetched at all - you're running on near full throttle for most of that flight by the sound of things - and those sunnyskies can suck some serious amps!

Flips and rolls then peak out your current draw further...

ccsj

Post by ccsj »

Thansks for your input. I just checked my telemetry data from my last crash but it didn;t show any smoking gun. I was flying with RMRC 3300maH 35C. My other theory was may be the high C battery allowed for more current. Too much such that the ESC was over worked and was not able to sustain the 5V output which feeds into the FC. Although in the telemetry, the loest point was 5.18V. This was with 0.5S sample rate so anything can happen in less than 500ms. I may just get brand new set of ESC and see if that fix it.
Attachments
crash telemetry.JPG

imagebuff

Can't connect via USB

Post by imagebuff »

Suddenly my NAZE32 cannot connect via USB to the baseflight configurator

From day one the Naze32 has been connecting fine through the USB port to the configurator over COM6. No problems whatsoever. I have already made some test flights and have been busy trying to get Frsky telemetry to function. I stumbled upon the telemetry checkboxes in the configurator tab w/ mode switches and CHECKED EVERY TELEMETRY BOX so it would be active under all modes including while DISARMED. I saved the config to eeprom, disconnected and telemetry started flowing. I took it on a testflight, and all was good. I reconnected the USB cable w/o LIPO power as normal, lights blinked but the configurator will no longer connect no matter what I do. I tend to believe it has something to do with enabling telemetry. Any ideas on how to proceed or troubleshoot? I can't even re-flash the firmware since the USB connection is failing. No other changes were made besides the telemetry checkboxes in the configurator, no changes to the win xp system, nothing. The board still flies independently and is fully functional. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Crashpilot1000

Post by Crashpilot1000 »

Seems you stumbled over something not thought through in the code. In that case you will have to short the bootloaderpins and reflash the FW. I never got that working with the paperclip method, so I soldered 2 cables to it wich I can short if needed. That will work. 100% .

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

Hi guys,

I'd like to know how to calibrate all the esc's at the same time via the controller, is there a CLI command on Baseflight?

Thanks.

imagebuff

Post by imagebuff »

Thanks for the advice Crash.. It took a bit of effort to short those pads properly but that worked like a champ.

Moral of the story:

If enabling feature telemetry_switch don't check the boxes for ALL states. It doesn't like to communicate over USB while telemetry is active thereby keeping you from configuring the board.

Thanks
Chris

eBoon

Post by eBoon »

joseico90 wrote:Hi guys,

I'd like to know how to calibrate all the esc's at the same time via the controller, is there a CLI command on Baseflight?

Thanks.

Search for mochaboy video on YouTube on setting up the board..it's a fantastic video. At about 40 minutes in, he goes over this process.

JaNpIrAtE

Post by JaNpIrAtE »

where to get harakiri SG2.6

can someone please provide me with the link..

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

Anyone knows how to configure the Fail Safe feature once activated through the CLI?

I'm using some receivers without Fail Safe and would be great to get FS set up on the board.

Thanks.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Then you can't use this feature if your rx doesn't support failsafe.

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

scrat wrote:Then you can't use this feature if your rx doesn't support failsafe.

I understood this feature is RX independent, is done on the board, am I wrong?

hinkel

Post by hinkel »

joseico90 wrote:
scrat wrote:Then you can't use this feature if your rx doesn't support failsafe.

I understood this feature is RX independent, is done on the board, am I wrong?

@joseico90
You are right , failsafe is done on the board just do feature failsafe on CLI
and adjust the failsafe values you need on CLI .

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

yep, done the activation, now I need to learn about the values, there is an option in "initial set up" tab to do with motor speed under fail safe (by the look of it)
Don't you wish there was a comprehensive manual for Baseflight?.... I do :)

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

I'm not able to do "motor test" on baseflight, it seems to freeze there, sliders move but nothing happens, ( battery is plugged) I have to click on disconnect in order to come out of BF. Tried on a Windows 7 64bit machine, and a 32 bit one, same issue on both, could this be a bug?

timecop

Post by timecop »

no, did you bother upgrading firmware to latest?

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

timecop wrote:no, did you bother upgrading firmware to latest?

the FW on the board is a couple of weeks old, do I need to flash it again? , and if I do, will it erase my settings?

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

timecop wrote:no, did you bother upgrading firmware to latest?

the FW on the board is a couple of weeks old max, do I need to flash it again? , and if I do, will it erase my settings?

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

OK Mr TP,

Flashing to latest FW did the trick,

Racer38

Post by Racer38 »

First off I am really enjoying the Naze32, Great Job Timecop

I am attempting to set up RSSI through the Naze. I have a ezUHF and when set up for Single wire PPM it sends the RSSI info over the one wire, no way to get it on one of the unused set of pins in this configuration. So I have the RSSI output from the ezUHF set for Channel 7 and the RSSI_AUX_CHANNEL set for 3 on the Naze, is this the correct way to do it ?? It doesnt appear to be working on my Minim OSD with the KV Team firmware. I have the RSSI set to MW on the OSD Board ..

I hope I am just missing something or set the wrong AUX port ..

Again Great Job this thing flys rock solid on my Mini Quad !

BlackRock

Post by BlackRock »

Quick question on how the board initializes when you plug it in. If I've calibrated the board already on a perfectly level surface does it need to also be level when I first plug it in for each use or just nice and still?

I meant to test it more today, but forgot and then the rain started up. I know the manual says not to move the board until it has a chance to initialize, but does it matter if the board is level? I feel like each battery pack I ran today gave me different trim problems. The first pack and the quad drifted forward a bit, the second pack I messed up and plugged it in holding it, then set it down too late and it was way out of wack, so I replugged it in on the ground and it did better.

I'm just wondering if I should have the quad on a leveled platform out on the field when I plug it in or if just making sure it's sitting nice and still on the ground is enough. I don't feel like I've been able to recreate a super trimmed out state every time I fly the quad. Like I said, one pack it pulled left, the other forward and the third was back and left. It might be nothing more than bumping the quad around too much when I plug it in, but it would be nice to know how the board actually works and what it's looking for.

Only once or twice have I run the quad where it was so stable I didn't even need to fly it and could watch it hover in place without it drifting. I'd really like to replicate that every time I plug a new pack in.

timecop

Post by timecop »

It doesn't matter if its level.

Initial gyro biases are taken at startup (this is why green led is on for a few seconds). If you keep moving the board with default settings (moron_threshold untouched) it will never finish initialization and green light will never go off until the board is still.
You do level calibration by calibrate acc once (and then maybe trim using acc trim stick or gui commands). After that, you don't need to touch it again unless you crash or something.

--Oz--

Post by --Oz-- »

Coming from the KK2.0 v1.6++ with SL-mix mode (similar to horizon mode), I have about 30 packs on my acro naze32 and still cant get it to fly the way I want it to. I have got my flip/roll rate right where I want it (2+ per second).

Here is my current two issues (I fly horizon mode).

The transition from level to roll/pitch is not smooth like the KK2 is, I am not confident putting the quad exactly where I want it. I would like the self level to be a smaller portion of the centered stick, it feels like 15% now (of center stick), I would like ~3%.

Also yaw has way to much expo (barely moves and then spins too fast at full yaw input and sometimes with a throttle pulse), I have zero expo on my Taranis and in baseflight (that I know of), my settings are below.

My baseflight FW is Jan 28-2014.

TIA
Attachments
Naze32 config 3-8-2014.jpg

joseico90

Post by joseico90 »

--Oz-- wrote:Coming from the KK2.0 v1.6++ with SL-mix mode (similar to horizon mode), I have about 30 packs on my acro naze32 and still cant get it to fly the way I want it to. I have got my flip/roll rate right where I want it (2+ per second).

The transition from level to roll/pitch is not smooth like the KK2 is, I am not confident putting the quad exactly where I want it. I would like the self level to be a smaller portion of the centered stick, it feels like 15% now (of center stick), I would like ~3%.

Also yaw has way to much expo (barely moves and then spins too fast at full yaw input and sometimes with a throttle pulse), I have zero expo on my Taranis and in baseflight (that I know of), my settings are below.

TIA

Hi OZ,

First,

You should update the FW of the board, and baseflight too, there have been several fixes and improvements since Jan.
If you save-restore your configuration using BS it should painless, I did the other day and some issues were "magically" sorted.

Also, why is you derivative down from the default 100 to 30 in LEVEL?

Cheers.

hkubota

Post by hkubota »

Tri question: I got a tricopter with Naze32 running. Works well. Not as nice as my little quad, but they are different sizes and props and generally not really comparable. In both cases the behavior is predictable and it's fun to fly.

But what bothered me on the tri: when i changed the servo link to a slightly longer one (length change was not on purpose), so the tail prop had a different tilt, the tri slowly turned right (servo link too long, so prop tilted too much left).

Should the gyro not compensate this and the tri is supposed to NOT turn around without user input?

Of course I can change the servo link length (which is what I did), or change the neutral position of the servo, or adjust the neutral position in the Baseflight configurator, but all those seem wrong: the tri should not yaw without any input from the receiver.

Is my thinking wrong?

Harald

timecop

Post by timecop »

I think, "center" should be considered as idle, so if you change linkage length and don't adjust servo center travel to match it to be level, it won't be. Just a guess tho.

--Oz--

Post by --Oz-- »

joseico90 wrote:
--Oz-- wrote:Coming from the KK2.0 v1.6++ with SL-mix mode (similar to horizon mode), I have about 30 packs on my acro naze32 and still cant get it to fly the way I want it to. I have got my flip/roll rate right where I want it (2+ per second).

TIA

Hi OZ,

First,

You should update the FW of the board, and baseflight too, there have been several fixes and improvements since Jan.
If you save-restore your configuration using BS it should painless, I did the other day and some issues were "magically" sorted.

Also, why is you derivative down from the default 100 to 30 in LEVEL?

Cheers.

Will update.

I have been trying all kinds of settings to fix the "level" issue. I may just start over on the PID's.

Thanks

Witterings

Post by Witterings »

I've just taken delivery of one of the Naze 32's, I think I'm a little daunted at setting this up.
First query can anybody point me in the direction of compatible receivers to go with a Futaba Transmitter with a single wire connection to the Flight Controller?
Do S_BUS receivers work with this or is CPPM the compatible version that works with the Naze??
They're not currently in stock but would one of these work
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-tfr4b ... e-receiver

Also is there a dummies guide anywhere to setting one of these up from scratch and where to get started, really would appreciated as simple as possible !!!

m3us

Post by m3us »

Witterings check this out mate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6IXA2hDW0

Witterings

Post by Witterings »

m3us wrote:Witterings check this out mate

Great place to start, thank you for that!!!

Witterings

Post by Witterings »

m3us wrote:Witterings check this out mate

If I fast forward the video to 19.25, he starts talking about "So this is my 5v line coming from the ESC's and these are my other 3 motors .......... whoooshhh .... straight over my head !! And I do mean way over !!
I've no idea how to wire it to get to that stage and how he has 3 motors running off the 1 connector, any idea where I can look or what I should be googling for to find out ??

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Hi, all he is doing in the video is using a servo plug to hold his 3 other signal pins (one per motor). The first motor is plugged in an output header with signal, 5v and ground (black, red and yellow (or white) wires). For other 3 motors you only need the signal wires (yellow or white). You are using less wires, saving weight and reducing vibration from a bunch of wires ... Personally I don't power the board via the ESC's BEC at all. I use an external UBEC.

leocopter

Post by leocopter »

Look at your servo plugs (or in this case motor plugs). Gently lift the plastic tab holding the metal connector pin in place (I use the point of an Xacto blade) and pull on the wire you want to remove.

Witterings

Post by Witterings »

OK, I think I get it, just to clarify, you mean the servo connectors on the end of the ESC's ????? I still plug each motor's bulet connectors into each of the ESC's bullet connectors then leave one of the ESC's servo connectors exactly as it is and that's the 1st one he plugs in, the other 3 leads after you've removed them from their individual servo connectors you put one from each nto the 2nd servo connector he plugs in ????
If that is so, do they have to be in any order ie the 1st one from say motor 1, the 2nd along the top motor 2 then 3 & 4 ????
I would have thought that each one needed it's own ground and positive / negative but that does demonstrate how limited my knowledge of electrics is.
I'm guessing that then becomes the power supply to the board itself as well and that the battery needs to be connected to the ESC's not the Naze ?????

EDIT: My set up will be for the default X Quad, thought that might be relevant to add.

timecop

Post by timecop »

Quick naze32 setup instructions:
1) Put in center of quad
2) Plug stuff in
3) Arm, check motors spinning correct directions, swap if not
4) Put on props
5) go fly

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

Witterings, have you looked at the manual? Motor order is important, so look it up. You only have to provide power (gnd + 5v) from one of your ESCs, though bad things won't happen if you plug in gnd + 5v lines from all of your ESCs.. worst case, you get some kind of ground loop and associated RF or whatever issue, but probably not a problem.

Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Yes I have had a look, he also covers it in the video to a degree, I've only had quads that are much more plug and play previously, if you plug it in the wrong place you unplug and put it in a different slot, this is a bit more commitment as longer term I guess when you've got it right it'd be good to trim back the wires not being used.
I think I'm just a little wary as this relatively new to me and the idea of making up a wiring harness and what connects to where I'm also finding that daunting as I've never done that either.
Thanks for the help though it's always appreciated, think maybe I should look at timecops theory though and not worry about it too much :-)

scrat

Post by scrat »

Witterings wrote:I've just taken delivery of one of the Naze 32's, I think I'm a little daunted at setting this up.
First query can anybody point me in the direction of compatible receivers to go with a Futaba Transmitter with a single wire connection to the Flight Controller?
Do S_BUS receivers work with this or is CPPM the compatible version that works with the Naze??
They're not currently in stock but would one of these work
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-tfr4b ... e-receiver

Also is there a dummies guide anywhere to setting one of these up from scratch and where to get started, really would appreciated as simple as possible !!!

You must use CPPM.

Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Can anybody point me to any sites to set up my TX with this, I'm not even sure if I should be setting it up as Heli or plane or what, I'm using a Futaba 14 SG

--Oz--

Post by --Oz-- »

Setup as plane

scrat

Post by scrat »

Sorry man but it is not plug & play. It is read, read and maybe again read then plug and then check and play :). Just kidding. It it not that hard.

reig15

Naze32 hardware discussion thread

Post by reig15 »

Timecop, gracias por darnos las Naze32, la mejor controladora al mejor precio.

Thank you for creating the naze. the best FC at the best price.

KoekieMonster

Post by KoekieMonster »

Hi, it seems like I am having a problem with my afromini 32.
I've modded an frsky VD5M receiver to output ppm(put a diode on each channel and tie them together).
I've connected this to the afromini and an logic analyzer. on the analyzer the channel 5 (from 5 channels) does change pulse width when I turn the pot meter on the TX. In the baseflight chrome app it does not change it's value. When I map the channels different it is still the 5th channel that does not work(so it is not always AUX1 that does not work).
I have tried the original firmware, some firmware with brushed motor support and the latest firmware (programmed with the chrome app) and they all have the same problem.
Is this a known problem that the last ppm channel does not work?
Or am I doing something very stupid? (since the channel is working on the logic analyzer I hope not)

--Oz--

Post by --Oz-- »

KoekieMonster wrote:Hi, it seems like I am having a problem with my afromini 32.
I've modded an frsky VD5M receiver to output ppm(put a diode on each channel and tie them together).
I've connected this to the afromini and an logic analyzer. on the analyzer the channel 5 (from 5 channels) does change pulse width when I turn the pot meter on the TX. In the baseflight chrome app it does not change it's value. When I map the channels different it is still the 5th channel that does not work(so it is not always AUX1 that does not work).
I have tried the original firmware, some firmware with brushed motor support and the latest firmware (programmed with the chrome app) and they all have the same problem.
Is this a known problem that the last ppm channel does not work?
Or am I doing something very stupid? (since the channel is working on the logic analyzer I hope not)

I never herd of the CPPM mod (with diodes), got a link for it?

You sure you got your diodes in the correct direction? Does it need a pull up resistor after the diodes?

I would think a oscilloscope would be the best to look at this signal, not logic analyzer?

I run the Taranis with D4R-II in CPPM mode with 27ms FW, works perfect.

Good Luck.

timecop

Post by timecop »

You should probably get a receiver that isn't trash.
That "mod" depends on so many things not properly working, I wouldn't expect it to work with any modern receiver.